PDA

View Full Version : What does Aloe Vera do for your hair?

Kayto
March 14th, 2014, 09:14 PM
I hear a lot of people talking about this -- some people put it in before a wash or even mix it in with their shampoo..
will someone please tell me the benefits of this? :)

rcblinn
March 14th, 2014, 10:55 PM
For me, when the AVG doesn't have too many thickeners, it turns my hair into silk. It's a humectant so if the dew pts are right, it draws moisture to the hair. HTH!

Stiria
March 15th, 2014, 09:48 AM
It makes my hair dry and frizzy.. My hair is not too fond of humectants:shrug:

Ravenwind
March 15th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I live in a very dry climate and aloe vera gel is AMAZING for my hair. I use a few pumps of it after I towel dry my hair, along with a little bit of almond oil. My hair has been softer and more manageable since I started using it a couple weeks ago.

blace
March 15th, 2014, 10:59 AM
I mix it in when I'm throwing together a deep conditioning treatment. Leaves my hair much more moisturized.

meteor
March 15th, 2014, 11:20 AM
It's very popular as part of a deep moisturizing treatment - SMT: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128
SMT Recipe
4 parts conditioner
1 part honey
1 part clear aloe gel

I use it exclusively on skin and scalp now. Aloe vera's anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, moisturizing and healing properties are widely reported and researched, so I trust it and often use as a basic moisturizer.

On hair I use it only for its humectant properties, but I find it hard to use, compared to glycerin and honey, for example.
AVG straight from plant is kind of hard to apply to my hair - there are tiny fibers that stick to my hair, creating a tiny bit of residue until I clarify.
AVG in a tube has additives that change how aloe vera interacts with my hair.

AVG has a great hold (if somewhat sticky and hard), but my hair doesn't need gels. Check out the HALO rinse for hold: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49898
HALO Rinse Leave In:
1 Tbsp Honey
1 Tbsp Aloe vera gel
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
1/2 Tsp Oil
1 Tsp vinegar
8 cups distilled water (about 2 liters)

Quick note: Humectants attract water to themselves, so you can use them in the right relative humidity / dew points. When the air is too dry, humectants can draw water from hair to themselves, causing dryness. And when the air is too humid, humectants can draw too much water to hair, encouraging frizz.

Marika
March 15th, 2014, 11:29 AM
I use it in SMTs or just mix it with a regular conditioner. It makes my hair stick-straight and tangle free. Love it! :)

Neoma
March 15th, 2014, 08:37 PM
I apply it to dry hair before I braid it for bed. My hair drinks it up.

Also, I mix it with conditioners and/or oils and apply it as a pre-shampoo (usually overnight).

Both methods leave my hair very soft.

FallingDarkness
March 15th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Where can you purchase aloe vera gel?

ravenreed
March 15th, 2014, 09:49 PM
It gives me split ends overnight. My hair HATES humectants.

Janette17
March 16th, 2014, 12:37 AM
Ladies do you use aloe vera from a bottle or fresh from the plant. If from a bottle which brand works best for you? :confused:

ErinLeigh
March 16th, 2014, 01:33 AM
It's very popular as part of a deep moisturizing treatment - SMT: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128
SMT Recipe
4 parts conditioner
1 part honey
1 part clear aloe gel

I use it exclusively on skin and scalp now. Aloe vera's anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, moisturizing and healing properties are widely reported and researched, so I trust it and often use as a basic moisturizer.

On hair I use it only for its humectant properties, but I find it hard to use, compared to glycerin and honey, for example.
AVG straight from plant is kind of hard to apply to my hair - there are tiny fibers that stick to my hair, creating a tiny bit of residue until I clarify.
AVG in a tube has additives that change how aloe vera interacts with my hair.

AVG has a great hold (if somewhat sticky and hard), but my hair doesn't need gels. Check out the HALO rinse for hold: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49898
HALO Rinse Leave In:
1 Tbsp Honey
1 Tbsp Aloe vera gel
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
1/2 Tsp Oil
1 Tsp vinegar
8 cups distilled water (about 2 liters)

Quick note: Humectants attract water to themselves, so you can use them in the right relative humidity / dew points. When the air is too dry, humectants can draw water from hair to themselves, causing dryness. And when the air is too humid, humectants can draw too much water to hair, encouraging frizz.

Your answers are always informative and interesting. :)
I love how you take time to really give thought to the post.

jupiterinleo
March 16th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Where can you purchase aloe vera gel?

I got mine at Walmart. It's the Fruit of the Earth brand; just 100% aloe gel, no alcohol.

hafattack
March 16th, 2014, 08:00 PM
I'm noticing that the fineys indicate that it works for them and those with M or C hair say their hair doesn't like AVG too much (sorry about the lurking, I was trying to see if it worked for those with hair similar to mine.) It could be a coincidence, but the correlation is strong.

Long_hair_bear
March 16th, 2014, 08:24 PM
My hair loves it! Bought mine in the grocery store in the organic section. I do an aloe vera rinse after conditioning.

http://www.food.com/recipe/aloe-vera-hair-rinse-319579

Teacherbear
March 16th, 2014, 08:24 PM
It attracts every flying piece of dust and lent, thereby making my hair knot up. I can't use aloe vera gel or any oils.

UP Lisa
March 17th, 2014, 11:30 AM
I never really think about dust and lint causing my tangles, but I'm sure it doesn't help. How did you realize it was a problem for you?

It attracts every flying piece of dust and lent, thereby making my hair knot up. I can't use aloe vera gel or any oils.

catamonica
March 21st, 2014, 01:19 PM
I put two capfuls in my conditioner. It makes my hair soft. It's good for the ends to.

jeanniet
March 21st, 2014, 01:26 PM
Not a fan. It's OK as an ingredient in conditioner, if not too high on the list, but otherwise it always makes my hair feel as if it needs to be clarified.

ravenreed
March 21st, 2014, 02:22 PM
There may be something to this. My mom has superfine, very short hair and uses it every day in place of a hair gel. She loves it. If I did that, I would have no hair left!

I'm noticing that the fineys indicate that it works for them and those with M or C hair say their hair doesn't like AVG too much (sorry about the lurking, I was trying to see if it worked for those with hair similar to mine.) It could be a coincidence, but the correlation is strong.

AmyBeth
March 21st, 2014, 07:06 PM
Yep, I have very fine hair, and AVG is good for my hair. It gives my hair a little more substance, almost like a setting lotion. For a leave in, I will mix a couple of drops of avocado oil into it because straight oil would be too heavy for my hair, but mixed with AVG I'm able to spread it more evenly.

TrapperCreekD
March 21st, 2014, 08:43 PM
Ladies do you use aloe vera from a bottle or fresh from the plant. If from a bottle which brand works best for you? :confused:

Mine's from a bottle - I have a huge jug of Fruit of the Earth. I like it, but I haven't tried any of the other brands.

I use it for SMTs and smoothing down the flyaways (it works for about ten minutes). When I tried it as a gel in my hair it dried it out, but now that I know more about dew points, I think the humidity was just too low.

sourgrl
March 21st, 2014, 08:51 PM
My hair hates humectants. I can use AVG in a SMT without issue, but that's because I do a SMT prior to washing. I can get away with aloe in my shampoo if it's low on the ingredient list but it's a no-no in my conditioner and leave ins. That's just me :)

SunlightShines
March 23rd, 2014, 05:58 PM
I've added it to SMT, but on it's own it makes my hair stiff. I'd think it would be a good alternative to hairspray for a little extra hold when needed.

mzlbcmami
April 23rd, 2015, 12:16 AM
I was actually looking to buy a plant today. I have not tried it in hair yet....but will be doing so. It comes in handy for so much!