PDA

View Full Version : Can I add hemp oil to store bought shampoo?

khan
March 14th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Also, has anyone tried using it as a scalp massage aid? I like to bend over & give myself a scalp massage daily & was wondering if I could add a smidge of hemp oil to my ritual. Dampen the fingertips amount. I'd like to experiment & see if it will enhance growth & strength; BUT I don't want an oily scalp. I wash once a week.
Has anyone done this?

meteor
March 14th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Haven't tried it with hemp oil. Adding oil to shampoo can be tricky, especially if you rotate shampoos. It's hard to figure out the exact amount of oil to add and results were inconsistent.
Right now, I just follow OSCO method (heavy pre-poo overnight oiling - shampoo - conditioner - a couple drops of oil) and it gives me better and more predictable results.

I recommend this thread (even though it focuses on coconut oil + shampoo): Discuss Oil Shampoo - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65063

Note: Only add oil to shampoo in a separate bottle for one wash. You don't want to mess up the whole bottle of your shampoo and dilute its preservatives.

spidermom
March 14th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I've never used hemp oil for anything. My scalp gets oily pretty fast all on its own, so I rarely, if ever, use oil of any kind on my scalp.

The-Young-Maid
March 14th, 2014, 06:22 PM
I don't know about hemp oil but I have been using about a palm full of EVOO with my shampoo on wash day(a bit less than the amount of shampoo). You could probably add whatever oil you wanted. The EVOO keeps my hair from frizzing when it's drying and helps moisturize my scalp. I've tried scalp message with tea tree oil but my scalp didn't appreciate the extra oil. I wash once a week and it was hard to keep my hair presentable with messaging but YMMV. :shrug:

khan
March 14th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Thanks all. Meteor I'll check out that thread. The Young Maid - I decided to look for some hemp based shampoo. My scalp doesn't need any extra oil :}. Hey Spidermom :happydance: