PDA

View Full Version : ACV rinse before coloring??

Decemberrose
March 14th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Hey guys!
Is it safe to do an ACV rinse a day before coloring my hair?
I just want my hair to be clean and soak up the color more.

Is this a good idea or could there be some sort of chemical reaction that would make my hair fall out?:o

Thanks... :)

Stormynights
March 14th, 2014, 08:59 AM
ACV will help close the cuticle layer of the hair shaft. Closing this layer may cause the hair to not absorb the color as well.

Decemberrose
March 14th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Nice to know, I won't do it then :)
I want the color to soak in.

Maybe it is best to just shampoo before a coloring?
Conditioner lays heavier coated on the hairshaft right?

meteor
March 14th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Nice to know, I won't do it then :)
I want the color to soak in.

Maybe it is best to just shampoo before a coloring?
Conditioner lays heavier coated on the hairshaft right?

Use OIL, it helps prevent damage without stopping dye uptake. Heavy coating with penetrating coconut oil a few hours prior to dye/bleach is your best bet, you can also use some argan oil, as it helps chelate. Check out this big thread on coconut oil soaks pre-bleach/dye here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495

Decemberrose
March 14th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Thanks I will try the oiling when I dye it tomorrow. Always nice to try a new method.
I just washed my hair with a clarifying shampoo.
I think I will use coconut oil as a pre treatment. I'm dying my hair with a mahogany semi permanent color that doesn't bleed, so I think this will work just fine! Can't wait to try it out... :)

Thanks for the tips both of you :)

If anyone else would like to share what they do to their hair before coloring, I will be here soaking it all up :)

Stormynights
March 14th, 2014, 11:10 AM
I am not sure I would heavily coat the hair with oil before using a semi permanent color. It might not take at all.

Stormynights
March 14th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Doing a strand test is the best way to determine what will work best on your hair. Long hair will often not take evenly from scalp to ends due to the different porosity of the hair. You can mix equal parts of the color and developer in a small amount and apply on a single strand to test it. Maybe 1/4 tsp of each then process and dry the single strand.

Decemberrose
March 14th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Thanks Stormynights I will think about that/try that. Maybe not a heavy oiling but just a light one on my lenghts.

meteor
March 14th, 2014, 12:00 PM
It shouldn't prevent dye uptake. Many report more intense color actually. Also, some people actually add oil directly into their color solution. I recommend reading up on this before you use the dye and checking out the thread I provided and these ones, too:
Coconut oil before dye: does it prevent dye uptake? - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-118137.html
Coconut oil under boxed dye - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-78341.html

Decemberrose
March 14th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Thanks meteor :) I will look into it... good thread, lots of info :) I wouldn't cry if I got a more intense color ;)

Firefox7275
March 14th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Coconut oil is for permanent dye NOT semi which it absolutely can block. It is usually recommended to apply semis to shampoo'd hair that has not been conditioned. I have many times successfully done high pigment ones (like Manic Panic) over co-washed/ lightly conditioned hair (no ingredients that build up or are greasy like silicones, waxes, butters).

If you mean a vinegar rinse to chelate that is a good idea before permanent dying since some mineral residues may increase damage to hair. It should not affect the results, box dyes are plenty alkaline enough to cope with the regular acidic state of skin, hair, conditioner, sweat/ sebum.

Decemberrose
March 15th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Thanks Firefox :) I didn't see your comment before after I did my coloring today, here's what I did:

Last night after a wash with a clarifying shampoo I did a VERY light oiling of my ends and lengths with coconut oil.
Today I colored my hair as usual. I colored my ends first and my roots. My ends are lighter than the rest of my hair so I obviously wanted the color to really soak in.

The final result: A very nice rich mahogany semi permanent color. I am very pleased. The color did grap on nicely to my ends and finally made them darker, so this was a successful experiment :)

Thanks to everyone for their input, I'm very happy! :)