PDA

View Full Version : I see why we should keep our hair up!!!

EmpressRi
September 12th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Okay, so a few of you ladies know I cut my hair recently to get rid of some residual heat damage (which was from a few years ago). The other day I flat ironed it because I have to get it trimmed evenly now, although I didn't do such a bad job if I say so myself.

Anyways it's still fairly long, compared to my natural state as it shrinks up above my shoulders, by straight it's midback.

Lordy me, I haven't worn my hair straight since last year, and I didn't realize how much it gets caught and snagged on things! I was on the train and felt my hair get caught on a nail or something on the wall and I was horrified!!! I didn't want to move for fear of ripping my hair but I got it loose.

Then strangers wanted to run their hands through it once I got to work (I started a new job today) :(.

Then it got caught on more stuff between the chairs and benches what have you in downtown Manhattan.

That's it, I'm keeping it UP from now on if it's straight (which won't be for a VERY long time as I'm anti-heat). I didn't realize my hair took such abuse!

coppercurls
September 12th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I know what you mean! Hair eating chairs, seatbelts, branches etc. It's a hair eating world out there.:p

SweetPea88
September 12th, 2008, 09:40 PM
It really is a "hair eating world"!! ;)

EmpressRi
September 12th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Lol!! I have it up now! :D

queenjord
September 14th, 2008, 12:11 PM
i hate when my hair gets stuck on chairs!!! i love your hair empressri!

Barca
September 14th, 2008, 12:15 PM
aah subways are the worst for hair! all those screws jutting out of the frames for the ads always tangle in my hair. And even though I know they clean them, I can't help but think of subways and everything on them as dirty :(

ChloeDharma
September 14th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I can't remember the last time i was able to keep my hair down for a day, i think it was sometime around the end of 2005.
But it just gets everywhere, in my mouth, caught on the straps of bags, and getting in a car and closing the door on a windy day :scared: plus of course seat belts.....it just goes on! I quite love the fact that the most convenient thing (keeping hair up) is also the best for it :)

Aries_jb
September 14th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I notice the same thing when I wear my hair down. I never realized how much I have to fuss with it when it's down...tuck it behind my ears, take it out from behind my ears, throw it over the shoulder, bring in back from over my shoulders, etc. I spend a good part of my day doing this. When I wear it up, I don't think about it or touch it nearly as much.

The strange thing is, I wore it down every day for years and I never noticed any of this, but now I'm so aware of it.

xrosiex
September 14th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I know what you mean! Hair eating chairs, seatbelts, branches etc. It's a hair eating world out there.:p

Lol It really is a hair eating world.:grin:

Shanarana
September 14th, 2008, 02:54 PM
The worst thing for me is having my pocketbook over my shoulder with hair caught underneath the straps.

shrimp
September 14th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Well my braid tassle is now sitting here lovingly drenched in cat saliva.

The little pain grabbed my braid whilst I was on the phone and occupied himself chewing on the tassle. I know he loves plain coconut oil but Dabur Vatika?! :scared:

Elenna
September 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Getting my hair caught in the automatic roll-up car window or seat belt is no fun. And when gardening, my hair gets caught in tree or brush branches! :rolleyes: etc, etc.

Alethia
September 14th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Even braided hair can have its problems. :) I can't use a gym ball safely with a single braid - when I try to roll back up the ball, the braid gets caught underneath and yanks my head back! I wouldn't mind so much, but I have to demonstrate these exercises to other people, and it looks so stupid when I do that. I now push my braid down the back of my shirt before I get on the ball. :)

yogachic
September 14th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Speaking of hair eating things, today while cleaning up the yard, DH's truck antenna got caught in my hair. Its a lopsided antenna.

aprilmay
September 15th, 2008, 11:17 AM
There is a long list of things that those of us with long hair have been caught on!

Euphony
September 15th, 2008, 11:24 AM
There is a long list of things that those of us with long hair have been caught on!
yep, I got mine caught in the dryer this morning.

bjt
September 15th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I'm in NYC too! and the subways really are terrible for our hair. but the worst hair-eater for me is the walls in the elevator in our office building--they are covered in this metal patterned stuff that I've never seen before but it always catches and rips people's hair. I've seen it happen even to people with short hair. I've learned to stand only in the middle of the elevator and its the only place in public that I wind my hair up around my hand and hold it (if its hanging loose that day).

catekat
September 15th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Ow. I find it's easier to wear my hair up most of the time.

heidi w.
September 15th, 2008, 03:08 PM
The wind blows it in my mouth sometimes. Literally hair eating! (real or man-made -- fans, the actual wind, subway doors opening, windows open.....)

heidi w.

Ohio Sky
September 15th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I'm sure going from shoulder length to almost waist length instantly didn't help, lol. It takes a bit of gradual adjustment. :D

aprilmay
September 16th, 2008, 06:42 PM
So I had my hair back in a ponytail braid today while vacuuming under the couch. The end of my braid got sucked into the vacuum and stuck. The vacuum starting smoking while my 3 year old daughter was watching in shock. I barely reached the switch to turn it off as my husband ran into the living room. Fortunately, my hair was in a braid so none of it is missing or burnt. Lesson learned! I will only vacuum with my hair in a bun from now on. The vacuum belt did not fare as well and it has already been replaced.

Katze
September 17th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Rebel here...I like wearing my hair down while indoors (work, home, or at friends') and the extra moving it out of the way, watching out for zippers, etc. is worth it for me. Lately sleep has been a problem (I am restless because of my pregnant belly too though) so I am trying to find a way to stop BF and I from rolling on it.

Usually I bike to where I am going, and it's pretty windy here, so I throw my hair up in a Ficcare or loosely in an elastic, then take it down when I get to work, home, etc. For shopping, running around town, longer bike rides, etc. I twist it and put it up in a Ficcare and have it like that.

I guess taking my hair down and putting it back up is less work for me (at BSL) than fussing with updos that never look right, carrying a small mirror to check for scalp cleavage, redoing braids, brushing wispiness flat, etc.

30isthenewblack
September 17th, 2008, 02:55 AM
My hair was tucked back today & a hair from my bun got caught in a button which was on the hood of my jacket. I asked a co-worker to unravel it gently (gently being the key word) & the hair snapped. Another co-worker said to me this is what happens when you ask someone who cuts their hair in the work toilets (no joke) to be gentle with your hair. Every hair counts! I am so careful with my hair now & make sure that it's always protected.