PDA

View Full Version : How to do hair with painful hand?

longishhair
March 13th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Hi,

I had my hand crushed during a handshake and still feel the severe pain after hours :cry:. Do you have any ideas as to how I can get my hair oiled without rendering my hand completely unusable? And on how to politely decline handshakes in the next couple of hours? Any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks

embee
March 13th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Oooh, I hate handshakes like that - some people do not know their own strength!

I think I'd probably skip the oiling until my hand felt better, and to avoid handshakes just smile nicely, say you've hurt your hand and slightly bow or offer the other hand (unless it's a corporate environment and then I guess you are stuck).

MadeiraD
March 13th, 2014, 03:21 PM
If you lay your pointer finger along the inside of their wrist when they go to shake your hand they won't be able to crush it. Use your alternate hand for oiling I'd say?

red-again
March 13th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Warming the oil a bit will help it to spread which should make one handed application easier.

elea
March 13th, 2014, 06:31 PM
handshakes: go right in. if between index and thumb as far as it will go, it not crushable.
oiling: wait or ask someone to help? there are ways but hanshake crush not take long to heal.

lapushka
March 13th, 2014, 06:36 PM
If there's someone around, ask for help. Can't believe a handshake gave you that much pain (unless there's something else going on with that hand).

MinderMutsig
March 13th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Ah the handshake horror.
If it's someone that doesn't particularly matter to you just say you hurt your hand and prefer not to shake.

Someone you like and you want them to like you? Do the double hand shake. Just grab their hand with two hands. It comes across as extra cordial but people are put off their game just enough that they forget to squeeze.

Professional setting? Do the "oops that was awkward" shake by either getting all up in there so your thumb and index finger crease go all the way to theirs or fake surprise by the shake by not having your hand ready in the shake position and keep one finger folded in. That feels seriously weird when you're on the receiving and so practice your surprised "I'm such s handshake noob, how'd that happen" face.

Or you could just say you have a cold/kid has chicken pox/insert bogus viral infection here and you don't want to pass it on.

longishhair
March 14th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Ah the handshake horror.
If it's someone that doesn't particularly matter to you just say you hurt your hand and prefer not to shake.

Someone you like and you want them to like you? Do the double hand shake. Just grab their hand with two hands. It comes across as extra cordial but people are put off their game just enough that they forget to squeeze.

Professional setting? Do the "oops that was awkward" shake by either getting all up in there so your thumb and index finger crease go all the way to theirs or fake surprise by the shake by not having your hand ready in the shake position and keep one finger folded in. That feels seriously weird when you're on the receiving and so practice your surprised "I'm such s handshake noob, how'd that happen" face.

Or you could just say you have a cold/kid has chicken pox/insert bogus viral infection here and you don't want to pass it on.

What do you mean by "keep one finger folded in"? Do you have a picture? Unfortunately, handshakes aren't avoidable sometimes and you don't know how someone will shake until they are shaking.

handshakes: go right in. if between index and thumb as far as it will go, it not crushable.
oiling: wait or ask someone to help? there are ways but hanshake crush not take long to heal.

Warming the oil a bit will help it to spread which should make one handed application easier.
I did that, it helped. I'll skip the next hair wash though and hope that my hair will look presentable anyway

If you lay your pointer finger along the inside of their wrist when they go to shake your hand they won't be able to crush it. Use your alternate hand for oiling I'd say?
I'll try the index finger thing, thanks :)

Oooh, I hate handshakes like that - some people do not know their own strength!

I think I'd probably skip the oiling until my hand felt better, and to avoid handshakes just smile nicely, say you've hurt your hand and slightly bow or offer the other hand (unless it's a corporate environment and then I guess you are stuck).
Good thing I don't wear a ring on the shaken hand :agape:

MinderMutsig
March 15th, 2014, 09:54 AM
I don't have a picture but you bend you ringfinger and/or pinky so it touches your palm and keep it there when going in for the shake. That way those fingers end up between your palm and the palm of the other person which feels really weird so they forget to squeeze.

Middle finger works too. Just try it on someone to feel what's more comfortable to you.

Nini
March 15th, 2014, 11:33 AM
I don't see why a polite "I'm sorry, I hurt my hand" wouldn't be enough to either don't shake hands or just use the other.

Just leave the oiling till you're feeling better. No stress.