PDA

View Full Version : Preventing splits on edge hairs?

grimsqueaker
March 12th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Here lately, I've been noticing I'm getting a lot of splits on my edge and baby hairs, and I can't figure out why. I mean, I never use heat, bobby pins, or anything of the sort. Like, I'll be sitting at my computer, and notice a split end, cut it off, check for more splits, cut all of those off, and by the next 3 days or so, there will inevitably be more. I always use a satin pillowcase, and real hair shears, so it's not that... any ideas for what could be causing this? Or possibly how to prevent them? This doesn't happen to any of my other hairs.

ositarosita
March 12th, 2014, 03:51 PM
What is your routine?? Do you moisturise your edges?? How much water do you drink?? Do you apply makeup all the way up to your hairline??

grimsqueaker
March 12th, 2014, 04:40 PM
1. Sulfate-free shampoo once a week, CO wash in-between whenever necessary, use a light leave-in every other day, and deep condition bi-weekly.

2. Yes.

3. About the recommended amount, maybe a little more.

4. I don't wear makeup, so, no.

ositarosita
March 12th, 2014, 04:48 PM
When was the last time you did a protein treatment??? Do you moisturise daily (cream or spray)? Do you use a leave- in???

grimsqueaker
March 12th, 2014, 05:30 PM
1. Just yesterday. And I used a leave-in afterwards, if that helps.

2. No, just every other day, using a cream. (Any more, and it makes my hair sticky, gunky, greasy, and weighed-down.)

3. Yes.

LauraLongLocks
March 12th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Have you tried shea butter and coconut oil on your edges and ends? Helps mine feel soft and supple.

Madora
March 12th, 2014, 06:07 PM
I assume by "edge" hairs you mean the hairs around your forehead and sides. Those are the most delicate (along with nape hairs).

You might want to try a catnip rinse to keep splits at bay. More info: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2009/11/part-3-of-4-on-innovative-approaches-to.html

hypersensitive
March 12th, 2014, 09:00 PM
I get them too, most of my splits are my shorter face framing layers.

GoddesJourney
March 13th, 2014, 12:26 AM
Switch to a silk pillowcase or try sleeping on your back? Do you wear hats, glasses or headbands?

ErinLeigh
March 13th, 2014, 01:17 AM
I usually put Nightblooming panacea on this area. I also treat them with ceramide, anti breakage type serums or oil mixes to strengthen. Mine are very thin, much weaker and are curly so they need all the protection they can get.

0xalis
March 13th, 2014, 03:41 AM
If you wear glasses, that could be contributing. Almost every time I remove my sunglasses, I hear the *POP* of a broken hair!!! >:C

MinderMutsig
March 13th, 2014, 05:32 AM
Aside from all the good advice you already got, I'm wondering what scissors you use to cut off the splits. It's important you use very sharp scissors that are only used for hair or you could end up damaging your hair.

Magalo
March 13th, 2014, 08:15 AM
It could be winter hats/beanies rubbing? I know this is MY problem lol. :p

Hele
March 13th, 2014, 09:07 AM
I get them too, most of my splits are my shorter face framing layers.

me as well, my shorter side layers are bsl and they get more splits than the tbl hair. I don't wear hats, i oil them nightly, and i snip the split ends with sharp hair specific scissors. The only thing i can think of that could be causing it is hair elastics, which are the only things that manage to successfully contain my hair at night.

meteor
March 13th, 2014, 09:35 AM
It's mechanical damage. That hair is the most exposed to the elements: weather, hot/cold dry air, sun-bleach, hats, collars, touching, getting caught in glasses, furniture, etc.
Also, that hair is typically the finest, most fragile part of the mane.
Some ways of protection:
- oiling the hair or using silicones and other occlusives to increase slip and create a protective layer;
- covering with silk whenever you can (silk pillowcases, caps, scarves);
- keeping that hair pinned, twisted or braided out of the way - do small accent braids, for example - they contain those small hairs on edges.

Anje
March 13th, 2014, 10:18 AM
How are you wearing your hair most days? For me, anything that starts with a ponytail (no matter how nice the elastic) is a recipe for breaking those hairs.

AmyBeth
March 13th, 2014, 12:14 PM
I would assume, that, because you can see the splits as you move about your daily activities, you are wearing it down a lot. Exposing your hair to the wear and tear of being down adds up over time and can't be repaired. If I were you, I would invest in some interesting, pretty and hair-friendly toys to confine your hair more often. If you are trying to grow very long hair, that hair is going to be several years old, and wearing it down a lot means that that hair is going to be exposed to situations that will cause cumulative damage. Got to minimize that exposure!

HazelBug
March 13th, 2014, 02:17 PM
If you wear glasses, that could be contributing. Almost every time I remove my sunglasses, I hear the *POP* of a broken hair!!! >:C
I wear glasses all the time for poor vision! I hate how my hair gets caught in them all the time! And then I rip a little out. It's irritating. I need new glasses, maybe some that will damage my smaller hair less.

Anje
March 13th, 2014, 03:05 PM
I wear glasses all the time for poor vision! I hate how my hair gets caught in them all the time! And then I rip a little out. It's irritating. I need new glasses, maybe some that will damage my smaller hair less.
There are glasses (most often drill-mounts) that don't have hinges. I've only ever had one pair, but they're nice that way! That said, some glasses eat more hair than others. I haven't had much problem these last few years, since I'm largely hooked on chunky funky plastic frames.

Crumpet
March 13th, 2014, 10:21 PM
I have this problem too -- but it is only one side! Its quite strange. I wear my hair up every day and a sleep cap at night, use hair-specific scissors to S&D, I do protein and DC treatment, oil that portion of hair with coconut oil almost nightly, and I use catnip tea on it. I wish I could figure this out!

HaileComfort
March 21st, 2014, 01:14 PM
I just noticed my first few splits this week, after a cut 2 months ago... ALL were in the strands that frame my face. I couldn't think of anything about my care routine/hairstyling methods/styles that would explain it and came here to hunt up an answer. So glad to find this recent thread. Now going to try... all of the above... :)