PDA

View Full Version : Some color help would be appreciated =)

Kayto
March 11th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Hi everyone. So my hair is 'soft black' and I'm not really that happy with the color anymore. It's been black for months now. This is the only time I've dyed it in the last year so my hair isn't super dead or anything. Is there any way to get it lighter, preferably to brown, with little damage?
Thank you :o

Kayto
March 11th, 2014, 04:32 PM
https://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzsdwh3f5W1qgiy64o1_500.jpg That's the color I'm hoping to get.

browneyedsusan
March 11th, 2014, 06:11 PM
I've lightened dye with super hot water and dish soap--the kind you put in the sink and use a cloth with, not the kind that goes in a machine--, and follow up with lots of conditioner. It's probably damaging, because that's from my pre-TLHC days! If you want to lighten your natural color, others can probably help you! :)

lapushka
March 11th, 2014, 06:26 PM
You are going to need chemicals to get black dye out. Black dye, next to red is the hardest to remove! But if that picture is your hair *now* it's not black, it's blonette (blonde/brunette)!

Kayto
March 11th, 2014, 06:27 PM
I've lightened dye with super hot water and dish soap--the kind you put in the sink and use a cloth with, not the kind that goes in a machine--, and follow up with lots of conditioner. It's probably damaging, because that's from my pre-TLHC days! If you want to lighten your natural color, others can probably help you! :)

Thank you for replying :) I'm so scared to hurt my hair. I've left it alone for so long I'm afraid if I do anything to it my hard work will be ruined. xD

Kayto
March 11th, 2014, 06:30 PM
You are going to need chemicals to get black dye out. Black dye, next to red is the hardest to remove! But if that picture is your hair *now* it's not black, it's blonette (blonde/brunette)!

I wish it was my hair, I put that there because thats the color I want to get. Any ideas as to what I should do to avoid damaging my hair too much? Or should I just wash my hair with sulfates and let it fade naturally?

Kayto
March 11th, 2014, 06:30 PM

I wish it was my hair, I put that there because thats the color I want to get. Any ideas as to what I should do to avoid damaging my hair too much? Or should I just wash my hair with sulfates and let it fade naturally?

sumidha
March 11th, 2014, 06:55 PM
I'd start with a product like color b4 or color oops. That will remove some of the black but possibly leave you brassy, which you'll have to tone out. Good luck! :)

Quasiquixotic
March 11th, 2014, 07:08 PM
I've been able to get indigo out of hendigo with a tablespoon of tea tree oil in about two tablespoons of consitioner. Put in damp hair and covered overnight. There is a thread or two on here about using tea tree oil added to shampoo to remove henna, it prolly works better because it's designed to raise the cuticle. My hair has seemed a little wonky, but I wouldn't call it damaged.

Hope that helps.

ErinLeigh
March 11th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Color Oops or Bleach will remove black.
Color will not lighten color so just dying hair would not be a good place to start.

As someone who has bleached and used Color remover, I have found the Color Oops to be way less damaging. It has temporary dryness but nothing a good deep conditioner cannot take care of. That has been personal experience anyway. A salon would suggesting bleaching.
It comes down to personal choice.

Color removers will leave hair brassy a lot of times, it will need toned or have a semi dye run thru it afterwards. I always think it is best to wait a few days before doing as coloring right away can sometimes cause hair to darken again.

I wish you best of luck sorting this out. I am sure there are other things you can do but these are the only ones I have used myself so they are all I know. I have seen videos of people using crushed Vitamin C tablets to lift black. Honey lightening may help. I have had success pulling some dye out with Olive OIl masks now that I think about it.

browneyedsusan
March 12th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Please let us know how it comes out. Your experience could help someone else. :)

Isilme
March 12th, 2014, 05:58 AM
I'd also say ColorB4, but start with a deep oiling and follow up with a clarifying wash. Many times a deep treatment or heavy oiling can help fade colour. I also find that a trough wash with a "harsher" shampoo can help remove some colour. Don't be shy with the oil or deep treatment, really make sure your hair is 110% saturated (nearly dripping!) and put a towel around your head to keep it warm, wear as long as you can stand it. If it doesn't budge the colour at least now you have done some pampering to prepare for a treatment with ColorB4 or bleach!