PDA

View Full Version : How often do you oil/use leave in conditioner?

Misschilly
March 11th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Hi,

last week I had a thread about having problems finding a nice balance in oiling my hair without getting it all oily and build up!

So now I wanna ask, how often do you apply oil and/or leave in conditioner? And how often do you wash your hair?

I CO once a week, and now during my "oil detox" I've added panacea's hair salve twice during the last week.

I need to get into my head that one, tiny layer will protect my ends enough! (It's so easy to think more is better)

sarahthegemini
March 11th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I know what you mean about thinking more is better, it's hard to get your head around the idea that sometimes less is more. I wash every 4 days (give or take a day) and I use a leave in after every wash - never in between.

eta: I don't use oils.

meteor
March 11th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I really don't have a rule. It hugely depends on how exactly my hair comes out post-wash.
If it's really dry, I use both leave-in and oil, if not, I just let it be. I really like uncoated hair, so I only oil my ends when they feel dry/rough.
I also use more leave-ins/oils in winter-time when it's very dry here.

Aderyn
March 11th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I wash my hair twice a week with a shampoo bar.

Usually:
Panacea on the ends twice a week (after wash, when hair is damp).
I don't use coconut oil often, maybe once or twice a week, and when I do I don't use much coconut oil. Just when the ends start to feel dry (growing out some old damage).

No conditioner, the above works fine.

ravenreed
March 11th, 2014, 02:51 PM
About once or twice a month I do a pre-cleansing treatment. My hair does not benefit by using oil as s leave in. It does much better if I simply CO every other day.

Nadine <3
March 11th, 2014, 03:18 PM
I use a leave in right after I shower to help detangle. Then I might spray it with water to help a braid hold and give better braid waves the next day, but otherwise I do nothing until the night before my next wash when I slather it in a ton of olive oil and braid it. I wash every 4 days.

arr
March 11th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I wash my hair every other day or every third day. I use a leave in which consists of my regular conditioner mixed with four drops of oil. I don't add anything else during the in between days, except sometimes i do a prewash oiling.

ErinLeigh
March 11th, 2014, 07:50 PM
I use something usually after every wash. I have fine hair prone to buildup so I found the best way to have hair feel light was to dilute.
I take a mister bottle, add the leave in conditioner, drops of oil and then fill up with water. This way I get the effects without all the weight.

ExpectoPatronum
March 11th, 2014, 07:56 PM
My oiling/leave-in schedule is dependent on when I wash my hair.

I was my hair 2-3 times per week (every two days). I oil the night before, usually with avocado oil, and then use panacea after my shower on my length.

I may apply a couple drops of oil or some more panacea between washes if my hair feels a little dry, though that isn't always needed.

I also don't use a ton of oil when I oil my hair because I often still have a day of classes before I wash, so I do just enough to make it shiny which makes it look awesome in braids :P

sourgrl
March 11th, 2014, 08:03 PM
I use argan oil every day. My hair seems to drink it up. On damp hair, divided in two, I use 3 drops per side, length only. On dry hair, divided in two, I use 2 drops per side, length only. It never looks oily or greasy. I wash every two days.

Long_hair_bear
March 11th, 2014, 08:28 PM
OP, you have the same hair stats as me! I wash my hair once a week and use coconut oil on my length and scalp oil as a prewash treatment only! The only leave in I use on my hair for every other day use is Nightblooming panacea. Miracle in a jar!

CurlyCap
March 11th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Every day, about 1/2 cup of leave-in.

Insane, but I'm a curly so it works.

Rio040113
March 12th, 2014, 04:30 AM
It varies a little but usually I do a pre-wash oiling (coconut oil) once a week/every second or third wash. I co-wash every 2-3 days but every 3 washes (roughly) I'll do a diluted shampoo wash.

I oil after every wash, with avocado oil and a drop of vitamin e oil, with a thin layer of shea butter on top over the last 5 inches or so. (LOC Method). I don't bother oiling between washes.

lapushka
March 12th, 2014, 06:09 AM
So now I wanna ask, how often do you apply oil and/or leave in conditioner? And how often do you wash your hair?

I CO once a week, and now during my "oil detox" I've added panacea's hair salve twice during the last week.

Wash once a week, every Sunday. And we only use leave-in and serum (sometimes a few drops of mineral oil instead) at that time. Nothing for the rest of the week - and it is *enough*. The rest of the week the natural oils travel down, and at the end of the week my hair kind of feels slightly coated in natural oils all over, as if the oil/serum gets greasier day by day. Leave-in and serum/oil is applied ear-down, so all over the length, not just the very tips.

ositarosita
March 12th, 2014, 06:28 AM
I dilute my leave in and use it as a curl refresher daily .. so far it's working great .. I only wash twice a week

BrendaLoan
March 12th, 2014, 06:50 AM
I use coconut oil as a pre wash treatment (overnight) , and wash my hair once a week. I don't use any leave in, maybe some drops of argan oil sometimes, depending on the frizz

clioariane
March 12th, 2014, 07:17 AM
I wash my hair every other day and use a serum or argan oil on the ends when it's still damp.

Weewah
March 12th, 2014, 07:56 AM
I use a leave-in after every wash because my wavy hair needs it.

I'll pre-wash with coconut oil maybe once every other week, I have the heavy-handedness problem with the oil too so I never get it washed out in one shot, so that's why I don't oil very often.

Larki
March 12th, 2014, 08:39 AM
I shower either every day or every other day, and I use a leave-in conditioner after I shower in the evening and after I wake up in the morning.

ichosethis
March 12th, 2014, 09:36 AM
I wash twice a week and I use coconut oil once a week (just recently started) the first time I put it in for an hour or so and washed it out. The second time I put it in for 4+ hours and ended up washing my hair twice because after the first wash it dried and still felt oily at the length. I should have just left it until today and let it work on my hair but I wanted it clean dang it! I spritz a leave in after washes and use a light hand with a spray in oil if it's feeling frizzy later.

Colourful
March 12th, 2014, 10:53 AM
I use leave-in conditioner every time after washing my hair (so 2 times a week). I am so glad that I discovered leave-in conditioner because my hair type is naturally quite fragile and after I started to use it, my hair doesn't split so much and is not that dry.

Agnes Hannah
March 12th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I use a drop of serum every night. I don't use conditioning leave ins, but spray with detangling spray when needed.

blace
March 12th, 2014, 03:36 PM
I wash every three days or so. I only use oil as a pre-wash treatment and usually only once a week or so.
As for leave-in conditioners, I just got my first in the mail today! Used it, love it...but will probably only do it every third wash or so.

Nebulae
March 12th, 2014, 04:28 PM
I wash every three days, and usually put a small amount of coconut oil on my ends on the evening of the second day. Sometimes I use it as a pre-wash treatment if I remember, then I use enough to make it really greasy looking.

I haven't ventured into the world of leave-ins but that should probably be the next thing I try!

Misschilly
March 13th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Thank you girls, most of you seems to apply something to your hair just after a wash, good to know I'm on the right way to balance!=)