PDA

View Full Version : Hair type help

two_wheels
March 11th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Hi,

I've been on this forum a while, but had henna and then very short hair, so never really checked my hair type, just guessed 2a.

Here it is untouched after washing. It took 4 hours & all my willpower not to touch it! I think the way I rinse isn't helpful, as the top bit gets stuck to my head. Then I get what Ocelan once memorably described as tentacles! They sort of want to make ringlets, but really big ones.

The reason I ask is that normally I fingercomb and put it up straight after washing because I'm afraid of frizz. It then ends up straight ish with some pokey out bits. But it's occurred to me that if it is actually a bit wavier than I thought, then maybe I should treat it differently to bring out more curl. If it's just frizzy 2a, though, I'll just carry on as I was!

What do you think?

All of it
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/wheels_two/tex1_zps62f5f58b.jpg
Giant twirly bit at the front, all of the sections seem to want to do the same
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/wheels_two/tex2_zps77626b0c.jpg

queenovnight
March 11th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Hmm. I think 2a.

two_wheels
March 11th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Me too :) I just wish it would be waves and not twists, because they catch against my clothes and turn into floof. But maybe that's what waves are and I have misunderstood.

Wosie
March 11th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Lovely hair; the colour and shine are so nice to look at. :cloud9: I'll definitely also say 2a. =)

two_wheels
March 11th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Ah thank you! It's always a bit intimidating for me, posting pics on a forum where so many people have incredible hair. Especially pics of unmanipulated hair shudder:

DweamGoiL
March 11th, 2014, 09:09 AM
I agree with 2a, but it also looks to me as if maybe the conditioner you are using may be a bit too heavy for you. Usually, once wavy hair dries, it looks more like your March 2014 signature strip picture as opposed to the last picture you posted. In your hair typing picture, the top part looks rather flat vs. your other images. I know for myself, when I have used silicones, my hair can get a bit limp so I was just wondering that's all :)

two_wheels
March 11th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Hmm that's interesting, thankyou DweamGoiL. I use Tresemme Naturals, no cones. Cones are a disaster for me, they make it limp and very very frizzy all at the same time. I hadn't thought that the Tresemme would be too heavy, but I do use a lot, maybe too much. Normally when I dry it, I fluff it out from my scalp a bit with my fingers, but I thought I'd better leave it alone for hairtyping. It's brushed now and looks like March 2014 pic (also brushed).

I'm about to experiment with shampoo bar + ACV rinse instead, so perhaps that will make a difference. If it's a disaster maybe I'll try regular shampoo + ACV or something.

DweamGoiL
March 11th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Hmm that's interesting, thankyou DweamGoiL. I use Tresemme Naturals, no cones. Cones are a disaster for me, they make it limp and very very frizzy all at the same time. I hadn't thought that the Tresemme would be too heavy, but I do use a lot, maybe too much. Normally when I dry it, I fluff it out from my scalp a bit with my fingers, but I thought I'd better leave it alone for hairtyping. It's brushed now and looks like March 2014 pic (also brushed).

I'm about to experiment with shampoo bar + ACV rinse instead, so perhaps that will make a difference. If it's a disaster maybe I'll try regular shampoo + ACV or something.

I use Tresemme Naturals also :) Which one from the line do you use? I use the Volumizing one because anything heavier will make my hair just sit on top of my head with no body whatsoever. I wouldn't change your current conditioner, maybe just use a bit less or sometimes, dilute it somewhat by mixing it with a bit of water before applying it. It's really easy to weigh down fine hair.

Anje
March 11th, 2014, 10:38 AM
I think I'd call it 2a for now, but reevaluate in a year or so. I tend to think of waves and curls in terms of wavelength and amplitude and curl-diameter; you have a 2aish wavelength, but the amplitude is pretty big for 2a, so it might start looking wavier with continued care and increased length.

two_wheels
March 11th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Anje I like your way of looking at it, it's a better model I think. I guess I was confused about my type because of the amplitude. Off-topic, if I dye it blue, will that increase the frequency to make it 3a? :D

Seriously, I guess I just struggle with having a texture that can't be worn down as it is (because it catches on my clothes and gets pulled out). But I like it up, and every hair type has its own pros and cons.

lapushka
March 11th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I'd say 2a also.

two_wheels
March 11th, 2014, 06:26 PM
DweamGoiL I just checked and it's the "vibrantly smooth" one. What you can't see in the pic is that I have about 5% very coarse, curly hair that likes to stick up. I'd rather weigh the fine hairs down and have those behave, than let that 5% sproing all over the place. But your post has definitely made me rethink how much conditioner to use.

Anje
March 11th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Anje I like your way of looking at it, it's a better model I think. I guess I was confused about my type because of the amplitude. Off-topic, if I dye it blue, will that increase the frequency to make it 3a? :D
:rollin: More characters

blace
March 12th, 2014, 03:41 PM
I too agree with 2A.

two_wheels
March 12th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Thankyou Lapushka and blace!