PDA

View Full Version : Anyone experience less frizz with a cold rinse?

sarahthegemini
March 10th, 2014, 03:53 PM
When I washed my hair yesterday, the only thing I did differently (as in something I haven't tried in many months) was a cold water rinse. When my hair dried, I had virtually no frizz. Which, as a wavy is quite a miracle. I've tried applying more conditioner, less conditioner, distributing it differently and I still always had a bit of frizz. But this time, none! So I concluded that it must have been the cold rinse. Obviously I need to repeat the rinse next time and see if the same thing occurs but I've no idea what else could have helped.

Anyone else experience this?

Rio040113
March 10th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I'm not a curly or a wavy but yes, I've noticed my hair is sleeker with a final cold rinse :)

sarahthegemini
March 10th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I'm not a curly or a wavy but yes, I've noticed my hair is sleeker with a final cold rinse :)

I never realised how effective cold water is. I just thought I'd give it a try and see if it makes my hair shinier, I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of frizz.

shutterpillar
March 10th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Nope. I rinse with cold every time and see no change. What does help is to use a tshirt to dry my hair instead of a towel. The Nightblooming Panacea I've recently begun using has also helps control the frizz quite a bit, and doesn't leave my fine hair looking stringy and limp like oils do (I don't know what it is about the oils... I can use the tiniest drop and it always makes my hair look stringy. :shrug: )

Rio040113
March 10th, 2014, 04:32 PM
I never realised how effective cold water is. I just thought I'd give it a try and see if it makes my hair shinier, I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of frizz.

I agree on the shine front, I find it gives my hair a smidge more volume too (which I always welcome), I think that might be to do with it rinsing my hair cleaner than warm/hot water? I'm sure I've seen it mentioned on here that conditioner rinses more thoroughly with cool/cold water... Hmm...

ooglipoo
March 10th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Yes. Works well for me.

Nadine <3
March 10th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Works really well for me. When I want really awesome hair, I use a shower cap and take a nice hot shower with my hair slathered in oil. After my shower I get out and wash my hair bent over the tub in the coldest water I can stand on my head. It really helps with fly aways and makes it very shiny.

Kayto
March 10th, 2014, 05:47 PM
I notice it seals the ends well, gets rid of frizz and adds only a little bit of shine.
It really helps my curls form to look...well.. normal. :o

sarahthegemini
March 10th, 2014, 06:00 PM
I'm glad it works for some of you guys too! :)

lapushka
March 10th, 2014, 06:34 PM
I'm a wavy and I see no difference - at all! Not in the amount of frizz (I never have any with the products and methods we use (WCC for washing and the LOC method for styling).

Kimberly
March 10th, 2014, 10:08 PM
A cold rinse helps me, but nothing completely controls my frizz short of greasing it up like Fonzie.

(Edited to say, omg, I just dated myself, didn't I?)

Ambystoma
March 11th, 2014, 10:27 PM
I like an ice cold rinse to finish - I think it makes my hair shiner. My technique for ultimate shine is to rinse my conditioner very very well, then slowly do a dilute (3 T ACV in 1L water) vinegar rinse, then a final rinse with cold.

Wisteria
March 12th, 2014, 09:45 PM
I tried the cold rinse this morning, and it felt like metal spikes were being driven into my scalp, there was less frizz and more shine though. Worth it. This might be the third time I've ever tried a cold rinse in my life. Do you ever get used to it?

sarahthegemini
March 13th, 2014, 03:57 AM
I tried the cold rinse this morning, and it felt like metal spikes were being driven into my scalp, there was less frizz and more shine though. Worth it. This might be the third time I've ever tried a cold rinse in my life. Do you ever get used to it?

Yay glad it worked for you. I'm not bothered about doing these cold rinses in warm weather but when ice cold winter hits ...

Wisteria
March 13th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Yay glad it worked for you. I'm not bothered about doing these cold rinses in warm weather but when ice cold winter hits ...

I didn't think about spring, it'll be awesome when it's here. :) Maybe it will even feel refreshing. One can hope.

meteor
March 13th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I don't see the difference in my hair at all, but then again, my hair is not frizzy anyway.
My hair feels best in warm to lukewarm temperatures and no extreme changes, no shock.

I really recommend this article on the issue of different temperatures and their effect on hair: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/01/do-cold-water-rinses-make-hair-shine.html

Stiria
March 13th, 2014, 04:21 PM
I used to do a final cold rinse over the sink. That way I avoided getting the cold water on my skin. Never noticed any benefits though, so I stopped.

emilia1992
March 13th, 2014, 04:46 PM
I remember reading in one of my old teenage magazines (actually, it might have been Sabrina's Secrets - you know the one which gave away a free make-up accessory with each issue? Anyway.....) that cold water helps smooth the hair follicle, thus making hair shinier; it does seem to make sense, though hardly being the most scientific of publications, perhaps it was an oversimplification.

itsnikki
March 13th, 2014, 08:50 PM
My hair.. I don't know. I think it wants to be wavy but is very thick so it winds up pouffy. Anyways... It is quite a bit shinier/less fuzzy when I rinse with very cold water! I actually do it in the sink after I've washed my hair.. I can't stand the cold in the shower!!

bunnylake
March 13th, 2014, 10:09 PM
I usually do a cold final rinse, even in winter! I do notice it makes my hair shinier and sleeker :)

Ambystoma
March 14th, 2014, 01:20 AM
I really recommend this article on the issue of different temperatures and their effect on hair: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/01/do-cold-water-rinses-make-hair-shine.html
Huh, that was interesting - thanks for posting it! I remember I always did a cold rinse years ago and then read that there was debate over whether it really did anything or not, so I ran my own unscientific experiment where I alternated using a cold rinse or not for a few washes and wrote down my impression of shine but it could easily have been cognitive bias speaking - maybe I'll run my experiment again and see :)

Ambystoma
March 14th, 2014, 01:21 AM
Bah - double post.

meteor
March 14th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Huh, that was interesting - thanks for posting it! I remember I always did a cold rinse years ago and then read that there was debate over whether it really did anything or not, so I ran my own unscientific experiment where I alternated using a cold rinse or not for a few washes and wrote down my impression of shine but it could easily have been cognitive bias speaking - maybe I'll run my experiment again and see :)
Thank you, Ambystoma. :) I'd love to read your notes on the experiment, if you could post a link. :)
Personally, I didn't pay enough attention and I was rotating conditioners, treatments and shampoos all the time, so I couldn't isolate the effect of cold rinses.

Hair is mostly protein (keratin), and protein is prone to thermal denaturation, so avoiding boiling hot water makes perfect sense. But I'm unclear about other temperatures and wish there was some research done. Until then, jury's out, I'll stick with what works - neutral, warm temperatures with no contrast.

Ambystoma
March 16th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Thank you, Ambystoma. :) I'd love to read your notes on the experiment, if you could post a link. :)

Oh, when I said unscientific I really meant it :laugh: it was years and years ago and since I had the exact same routine for every wash I just alternated whether I did a cold rinse or not each wash for a while and noted down my subjective impression of how shiny it was (build up wasn't really an issue to skew the results since I was in NZ at the time with really nice tap water) so, pretty rotten experimental method really but you can't really have a control group or double blind it when there's either freezing water pouring over your head or not :rolling:

ExpectoPatronum
March 16th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Cold water didn't have enough of an effect on my hair to justify me freezing myself. I like my hot showers :)

Citric acid rinses, on the other hand, now that made a difference!