PDA

View Full Version : Has a hair dresser ever been off with you because you said no to having your..

threadOfGold
March 10th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Hair done? I had a pretty awkward experience today, I just need some support that will restrain me from doing my cut and colour from the past, so far I've been really loving my natural healthy hair journey but today I was made to feel like I should get my hair dyed. My roots are coming through, but I'm actually growing them out but this In between stage is doing nothing for my confidence

Any advice guys, your stories or experiences? Would really love to hear x

lapushka
March 10th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Your first few inches growing out will be the hardest. Once you get past that, it's not going to be hard - at all. Just try and stick it out, if you *really* want to grow the color out.

KittyBird
March 10th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Try your best to ignore the roots. Is your hair long enough to wear up? Could you add some colourful/pretty hair clips to distract from your roots? That helped a lot when I started growing out black dye and dying my roots with henna. People commented a lot on it during the first year or so, mostly "you should bleach your hair to make it one colour" and "why is your hair like that?". The longer my roots got, the less people commented on it. Two-toned hair makes for a very nice colour effect in braids and buns. There's a thread for people who are growing out dye (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51155), you'll find much support and encouragement there. It's veeeery long though, so feel free to skip forward to the most recent posts :)

DweamGoiL
March 10th, 2014, 03:13 PM
I went in for a hair cut one time and my stylist, whom I had known forever, gasped in horror at my way overdue color and said "who did your hair...Hellen Keller?" I was mortified, but just politely asked him to keep his focus on the cut and me and Hellen would have it out later.

dulce
March 10th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Yes,I get tremendous pressure to cut short and dye,as they don't appear to like a 61 year old with silver tailbone length hair!It's so bad I never go to salons in my area anymore,sad they can't accept what I want[small trim and NO dye] so hubby cuts now or I use my creaclip..I am the only lady in my area with silver hair this length so I am considered an oddity.

MeowScat
March 10th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Lapushka is right, the beginning is the toughest and it is a self conscious time. Trust me, you notice it much more than other people do. What's really cool about growing it out now is that the ombré look is huge. That didn't exist when I was growing mine out, I wish it was trendy years ago. I remember I had a foot of brown hair at the top and a foot of bleached blonde and red at the bottom. Interesting look. So, I wore it in a bun and no one noticed. Plus, it was protecting my hair.

The color has faded so much I can't tell anymore so you can also look forward to that. It's a great way to track your growth progress. Have patience, I know it's tempting to do a touch-up, but going natural is so freeing and your hair will look and feel a million times better.

Your hair dresser doesn't sound supportive of your wants. I would either find another one or quit the salon altogether and trim your own hair. I quit the salon over four years ago and it's been awesome, plus I've saved a ton of money.

Don't give up and I'm sorry she made you feel pressured. Not fun. :blossom:

dulce
March 10th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I so agree with all of Meowsca's postt!Find a a new hairdresser that will work with you and the ombre look is very pretty!Many stars deliberately do their hair that way.And it's not difficult to trim long hair yourself.

threadOfGold
March 10th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Thank you so much ladies, can I say how beautiful your hair is, to every single one of you! My natural colour is dark blonde and my hair is coloured golden with some bleach highlights so the contrast makes my roots look pretty dark. I'm hoping that once a chunk of my natural colour comes through it won't appear as dark. I can already tell I much prefer the colour of my natural hair just from the roots! My hair dresser just made me feel a bit like 'what's the point?' in not damaging my hair will chemicals, as if it would matter which upset me because I've made massive changes to improve and grow my hair and I don't want to give In because of some roots making me feel self consious. I used to get a lot of compliments on my heat styled and bleached hair but I just didn't feel right because I want my long, natural real hair more than anything. This blonde highlighted hair is something I've hidden behind for years, and I'm finding it hard to let go. Who knew hair would have so many emotional attachments? :confused:

threadOfGold
March 10th, 2014, 03:31 PM
* sorry, as if it wouldnt matter

FireFromWithin
March 10th, 2014, 03:44 PM
The bleach always makes roots look dark. It made mine look grey as the bleach had a lot more yellow in it than my natural colour. It does get easier and if you get desperate you could always get your bleach darkened a little bit to better match your root colour (I did this as my bleach was very very bleached but it probably wasn't really necessary), a semi-permenant colour will be permanent on bleach and less damaging if you decide to go that root. I've only got a couple of inches of bleach left now and I'm at waist. Bleach incidentally also takes cool directions colours really well if you fancy a bit of a funky dip dye when you've grown out some. Sending you hugs to get you through the first stage. It'll get better!

spidermom
March 10th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Not really. My stylist has her opinion, which she shares from time to time, but she still does what I ask.

Tota
March 10th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I went for a cut to my then favourite stylist when I was about 4 months into growing out my natural hair. She washed my hair and cut it. At the end, while blowdrying my hair, she said: "Well, I've known you for a long time and I've never thought that you would start so neglecting yourself." She said it in such a way like I stopped showering or changing clothes or did something similarly gross ... It was humiliating because we weren't alone. She is a very good stylist but I never went back again. And I did manage to grow out my hair completely. If that means I neglect myself, so be it! So just ignore the pressure your hairdresser is giving you. Just be patient and listen to yourself.

MeowScat
March 10th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I know there are people that think it's weird to have an emotional tie to hair because "it's just hair and it grows back". But...it frames your entire face, it hangs down your body, it grows not nearly as fast as we wish, it's something you need to take care of that's a part of you and, c'mon...it's attached to the majority of your head!

It sounds like the difference between your natural color and your dyed color isn't drastic. Mine was completely opposite and "whoa! Holy difference Batman!" And I lived with it for years like that. I would feel my natural hair, then I'd feel my dyed hair and they felt like two completely different hair types.

It would be awesome if you'd post a pic, or add a signature pic or an avatar pic. I'd bet that it looks really cool. You said you prefer your natural color, you joined a hair forum and you want to grow your natural hair. Ignore everyone else's opinions, you have to wear and take care of your hair everyday, not them. Don't give up, there are a ton of us going through the same thing.

swearnsue
March 10th, 2014, 04:13 PM
French braids look beautiful with dyed hair with roots growing in!

Night_Kitten
March 10th, 2014, 04:14 PM
I second lapushka about the first few inches being the hardest...
After it grows out a bit, you start getting really cool and pretty patterns on the back of your head when you braid / bun / ponytail, and later on cool patterns in your braids and buns, which makes it much easier to accept the 2-tonedness :)
Actually, those patterns were my favorite thing when I was growing out dye years ago, and I still miss them sometimes :)

Fericera
March 10th, 2014, 04:16 PM
The first few months are the hardest, but stick it out and you'll see it less and less as it grows, especially if you keep it in a bun. If it helps, when I see people with roots I think nothing of it. I mean, not many people are going to keep their hair dyed the same color forever.

And don't forget that hair stylists want to make money off dying your hair so don't be too surprised they bother you about it, however rude it may be.

Rio040113
March 10th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Kind of, I had one make a rather presumptuous remark once about me ''hiding behind my fringe*'', just because I didn't want it cutting halfway up my forehead :lol:

*bangs.

VJG
March 10th, 2014, 04:42 PM
No. While I've only been getting my hair done at a salon recently (before that I just asked my mother to cut it), the gal that cuts my hair has been very kind and helpful (at an Aveda salon). She actually discouraged cutting too much off the first time I got a trim with her (3 inches to 'start over' in a sense), but since then very respectfully and carefully trims the 1/2 inch I take off every three months now. She's also very supportive about my goal to grow my hair out even longer and seems to genuinely like my hair as it is.

abauer789
March 11th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Hair done? I had a pretty awkward experience today, I just need some support that will restrain me from doing my cut and colour from the past, so far I've been really loving my natural healthy hair journey but today I was made to feel like I should get my hair dyed. My roots are coming through, but I'm actually growing them out but this In between stage is doing nothing for my confidence

Any advice guys, your stories or experiences? Would really love to hear x

If you are looking for some great support through your natural hair journey this thread has it! I am on the journey myself and this site has gotten me through the worst of time! :violin: Hang in there! It will be worth it!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51155

muddblood21
March 11th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Though I haven't experienced what you have from a hair stylist, I did get it from my sister and sister in law. It is frustrating, but it is your head and you get to choose how your hair looks (except those days when it has a mind of it's own haha). Growing out my bleach, I am a big fan of those soft cloth headbands that are really wide and I like the look of roots and dye/bleach in a french/dutch braid. Think of that line of roots as a growth marker and you will be happy to see it! As more and more of your chemical free hair grows you will forget this awkward stage, you just gotta persevere. You could avoid the salon all together as other have suggested and trim yourself (or have a trusted friend/SO do it). Good luck and happy growing! :blossom:

RancheroTheBee
March 11th, 2014, 12:47 PM
There's a good thread here about people growing out natural. IMO, I think two-toned hair looks really neat, especially if it's a combination that normally doesn't occur in an ombre, i.e: dark ends and light roots, for example.

meteor
March 11th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Just wanted to chime in that there is a huge ongoing support thread about the long journey of growing out hair dye/bleach: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51155

It's very tough to resist that pressure to bleach/dye roots and do it over and over again for years. But it can definitely be done, and it gets easier with time and is hugely satisfying.

meteor
March 11th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Oops, I just saw that the thread was already recommended to you.

Some of the styles to hide roots are all kinds of half-ups, French / Dutch braids, accent braids and twists, crown braids, braided headbands and using ornaments like headbands and scarves. The first 6-9 months are tough, but it gets progressively easier. Also, thank god for the ombre fashion, it makes it easier to grow out color in a "socially acceptable" manner. :)

Venefica
March 11th, 2014, 02:03 PM
My hair have an inch or two of undyed hair now, I try to stretch time between coloring it and as such I will try not to dye it again until my wedding later this spring, I have no real issue with it. If you are giving up dye then good luck, just keep at it and remember that while you might get frustrated if My Little Ponies can have several colors on their hair, so can you.

chen bao jun
March 11th, 2014, 02:16 PM
No, but the last time I saw my hairdresser she suggested that I needed to start 'coloring my grey.' that was 3 years ago. I still only have about 5-10 strands of grey in the back so I have no idea what she was talking about. Except for the obvious-- coloring my non-grey would mean a paycheck for her.
I don't take advice from people who have a serious conflict of interest going on.

fairylover46
March 11th, 2014, 03:12 PM
I can't remember her name, but on the length picture thread (I think) there is a lady who is growing out a black dye job and she has natural brown hair. Her hair is around classic length and the black/brown meets just below her neck and I think it looks super cool. I bet the two toned effect in different styles is amazing. On the subject of graying hair, I think it gives a person a more visually interesting appearance. Some of the prettiest hair I have ever seen was either gray or graying at the temples. My hair has gray streaks at each temple, and I love doing styles that show it off. I am even more particular about my streaks than I am about the rest of my hair. (And that is extremely particular!) I honestly don't understand why gray hair is something most people feel they should hide, it's a natural thing that happens, so why the stigma and "shame"?

AmyBeth
March 11th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Before I became really serious about growing my hair as long as it will get, I let myself be persuaded into some very questionable decisions about hair cuts and colors. I was very flexible and sometimes just let the stylist have his or her own way, because I worked in a salon and wanted to be a good sport. Plus, I figured it would all grow out soon. When I decided to grow my hair beyond APL to terminal, I had to really take control. Whenever I wanted to try a new stylist, I always scheduled a consultation first to make sure the stylist understood and wouldn't try to convince me of anything. At this point, I haven't seen a pro in 2 1/2 years and am very happily doing my own coloring (hendigo) and doing my own self trims. I tell everyone who is trying to grow out color to rock it like ombre. Now is the time, because ombre is so fashionable right now. It doesn't really matter how "two-tone" it is because people are so creative with all sorts of color blocking right now. If your hair is long enough, you can keep it up to camouflage it, or schedule a consultation with a good colorist to help you blend your natural color with the color treated sections. If you don't fell comfortable with the stylist, say thank you, goodbye, and schedule a consultation with someone else. Trying to grow long natural hair out whether from a pixie cut or growing out color treated hair is bound to have it's awkward stages, and almost all of us just have to suck up and get past it. Hang tough and believe that no matter how bad you may feel about it, no one else thinks as much about it as you might.:blossom:

ichosethis
March 11th, 2014, 06:07 PM
I've never had a hairdresser say anything about my hair color or style choice, though I did have the hairdressers daughter once ask to straighten my hair when I had taken my sister in for her appointment (we're the same age and neighbors) and the hairdresser said she didn't see the point since my hair is so straight anyways.

I was once told by someone waiting for their appointment that she would be mad at me if I got my hair cut off because she was jealous of the color. She was my brothers best friend's mother. Yes, I'm from a small town.

threadOfGold
March 14th, 2014, 01:30 AM
Hello all, sorry I haven't had a chance to reply to all your lovely messages. Thank you for all your advice & support, and I love the growing out your dye/bleach thread, thank you. For those asking to see my hair, here is a picture. You can't really see the roots. My hair is just past BSL and I will stop wearing extensions when my hair reaches the length of the extensions, (don't worry I'm really gentle with them they don't damage my hair).
Elle x
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?u=62535&dateline=1394781980

elea
March 14th, 2014, 01:52 AM
i know few women who went from bleached/coloured to natural by retouching their roots less and less every time.
every time, they diminished the amount of roots the re-touched. so from full head to just few high/low-lights (i hope tha makes sense, i not know how to word it).
it saved them having that different colour line in their hair.
but you do not need to see that line nor show it, there are many nice headbands out there until it grows long enough for the 2 colours to merge.

emilia1992
March 14th, 2014, 03:26 AM
As you can see from my profile picture, I grew out my much lighter coloured hair. However, as the roots were so prominent, I did two things:

1. Dyed all my hair a sort of in-between colour to blend them.

If you don't want to dye your hair again,

2. Avoided hairstyles with partings - pulling it all back made it look less obvious.

Now people usually think I had the ends dip-dyed, or ombre, or whatever.

AnnaKristina
March 14th, 2014, 07:35 AM
I guess hairdressers do what they can to make a profit.
I would probably not go back there, but try to find another hairdresser who will listen to what you want. The customer isn't there to satisfy the hairdresser. I have stopped going to a salon now as I try to get by with S&D, but my last hairdresser kept trying to convince me to cut my hair shorter. He didn't see the point in trying to reach waist. It annoyed me having to defend my decision.

heidi w.
March 14th, 2014, 08:16 AM
My best advice is to simply ignore her. She was unprofessional. Find a new hairdresser. I've found very good hairdressers and been able to prove many myths such as cutting from the bottom makes hair grow. Hair doesn't grow from the bottom. So just ignore it and don't take it to heart. Just say to yourself opinions are like *******s; and everybody has one. LOL Or however it goes....
heidi w.

Stormynights
March 14th, 2014, 08:53 AM
I am a retired hairstylist and I can't count the times I sent someone out the door angry because I refused to do what they asked for. One was a lady that had fine blonde waist length hair and asked for layers. I explained why layering her hair wasn't the right thing to do if she wanted to maintain her length. She still wanted the layers and I told her I wouldn't do it. She became angry and told me that she had people that worked under her and she wasn't accustomed to having anyone tell her no. I explained that it was my job to take care of hair and not do harm. She left very mad at me. She went elsewhere and got her hair layered and came back to me to fix it. I had to explain that there was no fixing it without cutting her hair off to shoulder length, and the best way to keep most of the length was to just live with it and let it grow. It took a long time to get it back the way it was. I did her hair for about 30 years until I retired. Not all hair stylists are bad.

I preferred sending people out the door mad because I refused to do anything stupid to their hair rather than having them leave crying because I did what they asked me to do. You can't please everyone.

Unicorn
March 15th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Try your best to ignore the roots. Is your hair long enough to wear up? Could you add some colourful/pretty hair clips to distract from your roots? That helped a lot when I started growing out black dye and dying my roots with henna. People commented a lot on it during the first year or so, mostly "you should bleach your hair to make it one colour" and "why is your hair like that?". The longer my roots got, the less people commented on it. Two-toned hair makes for a very nice colour effect in braids and buns. There's a thread for people who are growing out dye (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51155), you'll find much support and encouragement there. It's veeeery long though, so feel free to skip forward to the most recent posts :)

I absolutely adore the colour combination of your hair. Whenever you post a bun pic, I go back two or three times to see it again. When I first saw it I assumed it deliberate.

ThreadOfGold, you can have a lot of fun playing with (non permanent) colours on the bleached ends as you know they'll be trimmed off. The dip dying suggestion sounded great. Or for something more subtle a semi-permanent similar to your natural colour should soften the demarcation line.

Unicorn