PDA

View Full Version : Baby Fine Hair and Combing

UP Lisa
March 10th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Hi. I have always had a lot of trouble combing my hair without breaking it. It doesn't seem to matter what I use or how many detangling products I put on my hair or how much I clarify. I just finally bought a wood comb, and I did manage to comb through it with much less trouble than usual. However, my hair is pretty smooth from a lot of silicone at the moment. I do think using something that doesn't create static has to help, though.

So if you do comb, what do you use?

sarahthegemini
March 10th, 2014, 12:07 PM
I use a wooden detangler and a finer tooth wooden comb.

Rio040113
March 10th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I use a Mason Pearson rake comb (c7) after finger combing. I also have a Denman fine tooth comb (cutting comb) that I use sometimes to style my fringe/bangs, although I'm looking to replace it at some point. Hoping to venture into the world of wooden combs soon :)

Valkyriejae
March 10th, 2014, 02:19 PM
My hair is F/M, but there are some areas I would describe as baby-fine...
I use a horn comb, from Quecraft, and I never touch my hair when it's wet (unless I absolutely have to, and then I'm as careful as possible.)
I always oil it first (grapeseed in the winter, coconut in the summer usually,) and I comb it slowly and try to work tangles out with my fingers rather than the comb. I basically just use the comb as a tangle-finder, then stop as soon as I find one until I've picked it apart :)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 10th, 2014, 02:19 PM
I have just bought a Madora ivory detangling comb and think it's just the best comb by far that I have ever used. Expensive though but I love it!

Panth
March 10th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I use a BodyShop wide-toothed wooden comb. I agree that static-reduction is vital. Also, I think there's no shame in silicones - for some hair types they are the better option.

swearnsue
March 10th, 2014, 04:17 PM
When the air is really dry I mist my hair before I comb or use the tangle teaser. Silicones might work even better though.

Agnes Hannah
March 10th, 2014, 04:35 PM
My hair is uberfine and I use a hand made comb by Kent, one side to detangle and the other side to smooth or dress my hair. I also have a wooden body shop comb which is also good

lapushka
March 10th, 2014, 06:39 PM
A wide-tooth comb, then the Tangle Teezer. It is really gentle, and I have F hair. Never had problems with it.

Vanilla
March 10th, 2014, 06:53 PM
My hair is F/M and I also swear by the madora wide tooth ivory comb.

I also have a finer tooth wooden comb that I like for detangling during the day, but my madora comb is my go to.

UP Lisa
March 11th, 2014, 06:13 AM
This is what I should do. Just use the comb to find a tangle - which doesn't take long!

My hair is F/M, but there are some areas I would describe as baby-fine...
I use a horn comb, from Quecraft, and I never touch my hair when it's wet (unless I absolutely have to, and then I'm as careful as possible.)
I always oil it first (grapeseed in the winter, coconut in the summer usually,) and I comb it slowly and try to work tangles out with my fingers rather than the comb. I basically just use the comb as a tangle-finder, then stop as soon as I find one until I've picked it apart :)

UP Lisa
March 11th, 2014, 06:22 AM
I haven't been able to decide if the tangle teezer is good or bad for me. I think it's better on dry hair, though.

A wide-tooth comb, then the Tangle Teezer. It is really gentle, and I have F hair. Never had problems with it.

lapushka
March 11th, 2014, 07:59 AM
I haven't been able to decide if the tangle teezer is good or bad for me. I think it's better on dry hair, though.

Yes, definitely, it's only used on dry hair here, but curlies often use it on wet hair with conditioner running through - without damage.

UP Lisa
March 11th, 2014, 01:47 PM
I haven't tried it in the shower; I guess I should.

Yes, definitely, it's only used on dry hair here, but curlies often use it on wet hair with conditioner running through - without damage.

Anje
March 11th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Wood comb, here.

I'm also experimenting right now with braiding my hair before I wash it and washing it braided to cut down on tangles, unbraiding it only after I take it out of the towel. It seems to be working -- my nape tangles a little, but not as much as I generally get washing with my hair loose, and I seem to be losing fewer hairs. I turn into a shed-monster if I try to detangle in the shower with conditioner, so this is way better.

ETA: It's worth saying that mine's more normal-fine (sometimes I think F/M until I see what M hair really looks like) than ultra-fine. Still need to be careful with it, though.

UP Lisa
March 12th, 2014, 09:33 AM
I have thought of trying to wash mine braided, also. Haven't done it yet, though.

AmyBeth
March 12th, 2014, 11:12 AM
My hair is also baby fine and tangles like crazy, even when it's been kept in a braid. I find I must detangle with my fingers first, and then I will use my Madora comb. I tried the TT, but it took out way too much hair! It just isn't a good choice for me.

butterfly_dream
March 12th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Another vote for Mason Pearson rake comb and finger combing here.
I also guess that the CO is great for keeping the tangles at bay. Every time I use shampoo my hair turns into a tangles-nightmare.

meteor
March 12th, 2014, 12:30 PM
I use a wide-tooth smooth wooden comb and my fingers.

As far as static is concerned, both wood and horn will help you cut down on that. Water and oils - natural and artificial (silicones) - help with it, too.
Plastic and dryness encourage static. You can also swipe a dryer sheet (for laundry) over your hair and it kills static immediately.

I'm also experimenting right now with braiding my hair before I wash it and washing it braided to cut down on tangles, unbraiding it only after I take it out of the towel. It seems to be working -- my nape tangles a little, but not as much as I generally get washing with my hair loose, and I seem to be losing fewer hairs. I turn into a shed-monster if I try to detangle in the shower with conditioner, so this is way better.
Anje, this is very interesting! Do you use just one braid? Braided from your nape or lower? Do you do use diluted shampoo and conditioner? And do you have any tips for rinsing out the shampoo completely when your hair is contained in a braid?
Thanks a lot!

Anje
March 12th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Anje, this is very interesting! Do you use just one braid? Braided from your nape or lower? Do you do use diluted shampoo and conditioner? And do you have any tips for rinsing out the shampoo completely when your hair is contained in a braid?
Thanks a lot!
I made a quick blog entry on it, but basically it's just braided at the nape, wash the scalp zone with dilute shampoo, then dilute conditioner mainly all over the braid and nape. It seems to rinse out fine, even though I was worried that it wouldn't. I loaded my nape with extra conditioner this last time, and there were virtually no tangles there, and that's really the only problem spot. I don't braid tightly, but I find I don't need to make it particularly loose at the nape, since it slides down a bit with the whole shampooing process. I've been securing the end with a little claw clip (stolen from a coworker's orchid! :lol:) so I can make sure that it gets conditioned and rinsed where the braid is secured.

meteor
March 12th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Thanks so much for the great tips, Anje! I'll definitely try it next time with one and then possibly two braids. With recently learned scalp washes, washing in sections and washing in braids, I think I'll be able to reduce tangling by a lot! Thank you so much! :)

heidi w.
March 12th, 2014, 02:32 PM
One potential issue with using a comb is that regular combs are too tight, still. SO you may need a extra-wide tooth comb which is available from Madora. Click down on products and choose the first comb available, which is an ivory colored extra-wide tooth comb. That's what it took for me to be able to comb my hair. That and detangle goo.

I recommend against washing hair in braids. This causes a lot of tangles, which you're trying to get away from.
heidi w.

divinedobbie
March 12th, 2014, 06:22 PM
I just ordered two combs from hairsense, the "bone" resin ones, 206s (wide tooth) and 217 (fine and medium teeth). I wasn't sure about the wide tooth one because my hair is so fine that all the ones I've tried (plastic, mind you) seem to do nothing but I bought it anyway. I'll update once I get them and try them out:).

Currently I use a fine plastic comb with seams so I'm really looking forward to try these out and hopefully see a difference in smoothness of combing and less breakage!

Weewah
March 12th, 2014, 06:38 PM
I've got a wide tooth wood comb but I don't even like it very much, I always grab my tangle teezer or bamboo brush instead.

Marika
March 12th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I also recommend ivory Madora comb. It glides through my hair like no other comb. And I've tried several brands like Hairsense, Mason Pearson etc. Mason Pearson rake comb probably comes closest but like I've told before, my hair killed it in 6 months! :bigeyes: I've had Madora comb for almost 10 years and it's good as new.

I can never wear braid(s) without a massive tangle city :(