PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding acne at hairline

Arwenlily
March 9th, 2014, 09:48 PM
I've been trying to stretch my washes and so far I'm up to 3 days without washing ... tomorrow will be 4. However, since my scalp is a bit oily I have been getting acne around my hairline. I wash my face daily but can't avoid it. Any advice?

MadeiraD
March 9th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Get a head band to hold the hair out of the way and REALLY wash the hairline, you could also try dry shampoo around the hairline to avoid the excess oil.

And wearing headbands or scarves to hold your hair out of your face?

RachelB
March 9th, 2014, 10:59 PM
I have this problem too, especially since I started working out more often. I agree, headbands help a lot, and also you just have to make sure to wash thoroughly with your face wash around the hairline.

Arwenlily
March 10th, 2014, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the advice girls! I'll give both of these suggestions as try.

Firefox7275
March 10th, 2014, 06:25 AM
You've also started a thread on oil shampoo. Avoid ingredients known to be comedogenic which includes penetrating oils like rich in certain small molecule fatty acids (lauric, oleic acids).

Review your diet making it as anti inflammatory and nutrient dense as possible. Acne is an inflammatory condition: diet can affect the amount a d composition of your sebum (those with acne tend to have more of certain comedogenic lipids).

Cleanse your face carefully, maybe use dry shampoo like Batiste on the hairline.

queenovnight
March 10th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Oh gosh, I had this same issue. I've just been keeping my hair away from my face.

BambooBeauty
March 10th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Once when I went and got a facial the lady told me that my hairline had lots of clogged pores. Ever since then when I was my face I wash my hairline with my face soap. After I was my face I always use a toner when I'm done wiping my face with the toner right before I throw out the cotton wool I wipe my hairline really good and I don't have any problems now. Hope that helps.

Hypnotica
March 10th, 2014, 01:40 PM
I have problems with my sebum - it seems to clog my pores if I'm not diligently clean my face twice in the evenings (first wash is to remove foundation and makeup and second is to really clean my face) and once in the mornings.

Scalp need to be cleaned minimum twice a week, otherwise I get zits on my scalp.

Arwenlily
March 10th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Oh wow, I guess I'm not the only one!

Once when I went and got a facial the lady told me that my hairline had lots of clogged pores. Ever since then when I was my face I wash my hairline with my face soap. After I was my face I always use a toner when I'm done wiping my face with the toner right before I throw out the cotton wool I wipe my hairline really good and I don't have any problems now. Hope that helps.

What is a toner?

Arwenlily
March 10th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I have problems with my sebum - it seems to clog my pores if I'm not diligently clean my face twice in the evenings (first wash is to remove foundation and makeup and second is to really clean my face) and once in the mornings.

Scalp need to be cleaned minimum twice a week, otherwise I get zits on my scalp.

I've been washing my face only once a day. Maybe I need to increase to twice a day and increase scalp washes. And start using headbands!

BambooBeauty
March 10th, 2014, 09:52 PM
A toner is some sort of liquid you apply to your face after you wash it. It helps to remove anything left on your skin after cleansing and it helps sooth your skin, it also preps skin for serums or moisturizers. I like to use rosewater but lots of brands make toners.

RedNymph
March 10th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Tea tree oil does wonders for me. I have the same problem as you and I use tea tree oil for it as well as all over my face.

Aderyn
March 10th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Do you, by chance, happen to wear your hair down often? Try wearing your hair up, especially pull it back from where the breakouts are happening. I've always struggled with sensitive, acne-prone skin, moreso when I was younger, and wearing my hair up regularly has cut that down dramatically.

Arwenlily
March 10th, 2014, 10:32 PM
A toner is some sort of liquid you apply to your face after you wash it. It helps to remove anything left on your skin after cleansing and it helps sooth your skin, it also preps skin for serums or moisturizers. I like to use rosewater but lots of brands make toners.

Hmm I'll have to try this

Arwenlily
March 10th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Do you mix the tea tree oil with anything?

I actually usually wear my hair up but it isn't pulled back tight ... maybe it isn't pulled back enough?

RedNymph
March 11th, 2014, 03:43 AM
Do you mix the tea tree oil with anything?

Nope. I just use it straight up. I get a tissue or a cotton ball and just dab it on my face. You get a tingling sensation but it doesn't hurt at all. I got this tip from a friend who works as a make up artist on a soap opera. The younger cast are big fans of it.

Fiachain
March 11th, 2014, 03:49 AM
I have the same problem with my hairline. My hair is always pulled back from my face, not very tight, but its always pulled back somehow. Its worse on the 'dry' side of my hairline (I have a dry and an oily side of my head for some reason), the same spot where the hair seems to refuse to grow... annoying and starting to worry me a bit too