PDA

View Full Version : PURE ARGAN OIL.. worth it?

jsdolly122
March 9th, 2014, 07:33 PM
not the moroccan oil, or products "with" argan oil.. I mean the pure 100% argan oil, anyone here a fan? it's pricey, but im willing to spend for silky goodnes... :)

brand?
where did you get it?
what it does for you?

Thanks!

oh, and what does it smell like?

meteor
March 9th, 2014, 07:42 PM
I like argan oil, but I prefer it on skin, as it has carotenes, squalene, phenols like caffeic acid - beneficial stuff for skin to stay young.

I recommend first either trying it at a health store or buying only a tiny sample bottle. Oil preferences are very personal: something that works for me may not necessarily work for you.

I like buying it in big bottles (it's a cooking oil) at Lebanese / Middle Eastern shops. It's a lot cheaper that way... but then, I'm sure it's not organic expeller-pressed.

Its composition is important to note (I find it a bit close in composition to olive oil):
Fatty acid Percentage
Oleic 42.8%
Linoleic 36.8%
Palmitic 12.0%
Stearic 6.0%
Linolenic <0.5%

BrendaLoan
March 9th, 2014, 08:28 PM
My grandmother travelled to Morocco and brought me some argan oil. I use it as a leave in (3-4 drops are enough for my lenght, otherwise gets greasy) and my hair feels silky and less prone to frizz and tangles :) I like it, but I still prefer my good old coconut oil as a pre wash treatment <3 Lately I have been using the argan oil for my skin too, and works wonders! Smells kind of nutty I guess, not a fan of the scent but I like the results

teddygirl
March 9th, 2014, 09:24 PM
I like it. The brand I use is John Masters, and it is quite pricey. Im sure you could find it cheaper elsewhere.

midsummernight
March 9th, 2014, 09:51 PM
It doesn't have to be that expensive. You can find USDA certified organic argan oil way cheaper on ebay than from stores like sephora.

ravenreed
March 9th, 2014, 09:53 PM
My hair, skin, and nails all love argan oil more than any other oil. It is pricey and smells a little odd. I get mine at the local health food store. I could get it slightly cheaper online, but not by much. For some strange reason, my hair reacts badly to olive oil, but is happy with argan. I don't know why. It is just as well as the smell of olive oil is a little much for me.

emilia83
March 9th, 2014, 10:02 PM
I love mine! I use it to de-frizz and mixed into lotion as a night face treatment. I got 2 oz for $13 on Amazon, I believe the brand is NOW Foods.

sourgrl
March 9th, 2014, 10:19 PM
I love pure argan oil, but like anything else, what works for me may not for you. If you can get a small bottle, give it a try. It is pricey, but a little goes a looongg way.

brand? Life Flo Pure Organ Oil

where did you get it? Vitamin Shoppe

what it does for you? I use it on damp hair, parted in half, 3 drops on length only per side then damp bun. On dry hair, parted, 2 drops length only per side. On damp hair it helps seal, on dry hair it gives my waves some definition. Given how much I use of it, drops at a time, this bottle will last me a while, making the cost more reasonable.

teela1978
March 9th, 2014, 10:29 PM
I have a bottle. The health food store had it for ~$10. I've been using it on my face but have used the residue on my hands on the length of my hair. I haven't noticed any huge differences, but it is nice stuff. It has a smell, not a bad one though. Sorta herby? I've had samples of the josiemaran one and that didn't have a scent. I think I'll put up with the smell and just use the cheap stuff though.

Quasiquixotic
March 9th, 2014, 10:33 PM
I love it for my face. I mix it with rosehips seed and sea buckthorn oils. I add some EOs as well and use about ten drops morning and night most days on my face neck and chest.

I buy mine from www.mountainrosehebs.com

MandyBeth
March 10th, 2014, 12:31 AM
I've gotten it online, hennasooq. But I get it from a Middle Eastern store now. I actually swap for it - the store owner has a cat, I get the extremely high quality oil for biweekly cat nail trims. She's a doll for me, a pointy tornado for the family. I call it fair.

Only issue - I've found the best working pressings are in dark bottles. Light apparently isn't a friend. It does cause sun sensitivity. So it's on my ends only. I've always burned easily, SLE and medication make it far worse. I'm not adding another round of burn baby burn, no matter how nice it makes skin look. Arsenic was a beloved aid.

terpentyna
March 10th, 2014, 12:35 AM
I like it for everything, my skin adores it and it's great as a leave in.

Nope
March 10th, 2014, 12:55 AM
I use a small sized bottle of Josie Maran Argan oil because I find that Olive oil is too heavy for me, and coconut makes my hair crunchy, but argan oil is the perfect balance. I use 3 drops after showering, sometimes a couple more the next day if my hair is particularly dry. It doesn't weigh my hair down and it's hard to make it look greasy using it. I would recommend it C:

Kayto
March 10th, 2014, 01:12 AM
I use the one n' only argon oil, I use it for oil treatments sometimes. Its really gloopy. Kinda pricy. The bottle I have was 18 dollars. I think it depends on the person the effect it has. It doesn't really work that well for me, I really like one n' only argon oil spray way better. It makes your hair incredibly soft, shiny, healthy looking and (ON VERY RARE, SPECIAL OCCASIONS) is awesome for straightening hair with a flat iron.

Weewah
March 10th, 2014, 01:18 AM
I have some from vitacost. I stopped using it in my hair for no particular reason, but I do like to use it every day as my face moisturizer after washing.

DarleneH
March 10th, 2014, 02:58 AM
I've gotten it for $30 for a pound from Camden-Grey.

clioariane
March 10th, 2014, 04:16 AM
I'm also a fan! I have a bottle of pure argan oil from my local health food store, 100ml for 12,50 euros which I think is a fair price. I'm not super crazy about the scent (it's very nutty) but it doesn't bother me either. I use a couple drops in my hair and on my face after cleansing with great results. My hair is very shiny and conditioned after using it. I wouldn't buy Josie Maran or other big name brands for pure oils, it's WAY more expensive.

ErinLeigh
March 10th, 2014, 04:42 AM
I got a pretty big bottle on amazon for under $10.
I did not like it at first. It made my hair feel tacky.
I kept trying it just because I had such a large bottle and I really like it now.
A few drops on damp hair make it soft and smooth. That being said, I find it no better jojoba. Just different. More like a serum for me. It keeps the frizz down and mixes well with coconut for some pre poos.
It also mixes well in conditioner and shampoo. I am convinced it penetrates somehow also I have not seen any confirmed studies.

If you have other oils right now you could wait until you use them up. If not, I would hunt for a good deal and get a small bottle to try. No matter what I think of it, your hair will be different.

And yes it does have a scent. I guess nutty like others say. I don't like it but the smell goes away immediately on me. I can't smell it on my hair for some reason. I'm pretty fond of it and glad I kept trying it

sarahthegemini
March 10th, 2014, 06:29 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ARGAN-OIL-100%25-Pure-100ml/dp/B005OR4RQM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394454516&sr=8-3&keywords=argan+oil

I no longer use oil on my hair but when I did, a drop or two on damp hair worked well to keep my hair looking shiny and tamed. Now I use it on my elbows amd knees - weird fact, you know that part on your knee where doctors check your reflexes? Well that part was really dry and nothing seemed to help. A drop of argan oil and voila, perfct knees lol. It also makes my elbows so soft. I brought mine for a tenner off of Amazon (see link)

Firefox7275
March 10th, 2014, 06:33 AM
not the moroccan oil, or products "with" argan oil.. I mean the pure 100% argan oil, anyone here a fan? it's pricey, but im willing to spend for silky goodnes... :)

brand?
where did you get it?
what it does for you?

Thanks!

Try Sweetalmond oil first: its rich in the same fatty acid (mostly oleic), is fairly light and silky, much cheaper.

Marika
March 10th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I have a 15 ml bottle of Anita Grant's organic argan oil:

http://anitagrant.com/certified-organic-virgin-argan-oil-15ml.html#.Ux3p-5HkuTk

Anita Grant has really nice products so I'm guessing it's good quality. However, I would say it's not worth it. I feel like it's very similar to sweet almond oil which is a lot cheaper (like Firefox7275 said).

In2wishin
March 10th, 2014, 11:04 AM

brand?
where did you get it?
what it does for you?

Thanks!

I get mine from Majestic Mountain Sage ($8.50 for 4 oz https://www.thesage.com/catalog/fullcat.html#section24 ) or Camden-Grey ($7.50 for 4 oz http://www.camdengrey.com/essential-oils/Carrier-Oils/argan-oil.html ). I use it in my OCM mix, detangling spray, and my cuticle balm. I also use a drop on each eye around the crows feet area.

Beborani
March 10th, 2014, 11:22 AM
I bought it once off of amazon--a small vial just to satisfy my curiosity-- it resembles sesame oil--but the vial is pretty and has a nice glass dropper so I store other oils in it for light application.

Priska
February 23rd, 2023, 09:35 AM
I think argan oil has been the best for my hair and gave my hair greater shine than other oils. But I was not using coconut oil those days when I used argan oil, so I can't say which of them is better. Must buy an argan oil bottle again and make some comparing. (The only reason why I haven't done this already is that you can't find argan oil from ordinary shops here and it's also pretty expensive if you compare it to olive oil, coconut oil etc.)

illicitlizard
February 25th, 2023, 01:22 AM
Yep I love it, The Ordinary does one it's AUD$12.90 for 30mL at the chemist. Super light, doesn't make my fine hair greasy, adds good slip.

Henrietta
February 25th, 2023, 02:53 AM
I've tried it and I didn't like it.
I bought mine in a shop with stuff for people who make their own beauty products. I took the unrefined version like I usually do (the store has a few versions of most of the oils and butters they sell, a refined one, an unrefined one, and an unrefined organic one). The smell of goats was strong and difficult to bear.

And the effects on my high-to-medium porosity hair were not good. My hair was limp, and single hairs were sticking out (frizz). A weird combination. But knowing the composition of fatty acids in argan oil (mentioned by meteor in the second post in this thread) I'm not surprised.

illicitlizard
February 25th, 2023, 04:09 AM
I've tried it and I didn't like it.
I bought mine in a shop with stuff for people who make their own beauty products. I took the unrefined version like I usually do (the store has a few versions of most of the oils and butters they sell, a refined one, an unrefined one, and an unrefined organic one). The smell of goats was strong and difficult to bear.

And the effects on my high-to-medium porosity hair were not good. My hair was limp, and single hairs were sticking out (frizz). A weird combination. But knowing the composition of fatty acids in argan oil (mentioned by meteor in the second post in this thread) I'm not surprised.

I saw so many reviews from people complaining about a horrible farm animal smell from argan oil when I was initially looking into it. Made me super hesitant to try it. I wonder if it's a difference in batch or in processing? Mine has never had that goat smell (though some reviews of the very same oil say it does smell). I am generally very sensitive to smells, so this perplexes me.

The bottle I have does smell a little now, but the bottle has been open for >1yr so I'd have thought it's because it's slowly going rancid.

Also yes hair type probably plays a massive role, mine is low porosity, fine, and straight, so take that into account.

Jools69
February 26th, 2023, 02:32 AM
I love putting pure argan oil on my hair. I only need a drop or 2 at the mid to the ends for my fine, thin hair. Helps reducing tangles/tiny knots on the ends. Sometimes I tame any flyaways/baby hairs on my head, with the residue on my palms. I don’t notice a ‘goat’ smell - more like a ‘nutty’ smell from mine.

I started off using jojoba oil, but found that made my hair feel and look greasy. Considering it’s a waxy oil, I possibly put too much on for my hair type.