PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite everyday hairstyles?

tee11
March 9th, 2014, 03:17 PM
I have almost waist-length hair. I wash once or twice a week, and after the 2nd day, my hair doesn't look so great and I end up needing to style it somehow, whether it's a bun, braid, scrunching some water in... it really depends how it's looking that day.

So, I was wondering, what are your favorite everyday hairstyles (besides just wearing it down)? I'm curious mainly about styles that would be acceptable/neat enough for work or hanging out with friends. I'm getting bored of just a simple braid or bun. Thanks in advance! :)

Madora
March 9th, 2014, 03:32 PM
I use this from time to time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Mostly I just loosely braid my hair and then coil it on top of my head. I also like Heidi braids. A simple coronet braid works for me also.

meteor
March 9th, 2014, 03:49 PM
I love braided buns.
A braided bun is the most secure and protective style I've tried on my hair. It's also very quick to do at my length.

browneyedsusan
March 9th, 2014, 03:56 PM
My current favorite is a LWB, but my hair is much shorter than yours.
DD has WL hair, and wears a hawser braid for sports. (It's simple, but looks complicated, and eats up a lot of length. tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y3LvWpncQQ).)

midbackorbust
March 9th, 2014, 04:19 PM
I just twist into a super simple bun with an elastic almost every day, I know it's not the best but it's convenient :shrug:

alexis917
March 9th, 2014, 04:43 PM
I'm a dutch braid advocate!

ravenheather
March 9th, 2014, 07:18 PM
My favorite is lwb or dutch braid. Nautilus bun comes in third.

ichosethis
March 9th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I keep my hair in a bun most of the time, just simple ones that go up fast with spin pins, elastics, hair sticks or whatever's on hand. I'm learning a few new ones and I like the lazy wrap bun a lot, I'll find out tomorrow if it'll hold up well at work and then I'll probably wear it most days.

tee11
March 9th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I've spent hours watching hair tutorials on youtube but I've never those braids that Majora mentioned... I love those! They're right up my alley, I will definitely give them a try. That will definitely add some variety to my hairstyle repertoire :D

I also looked up dutch braids and nautilus buns, those look really cool too. I found some youtube videos on side dutch braids that I think are really nice, I'm excited to give it a shot :)

Shorty89
March 9th, 2014, 09:09 PM
It depends on my length, but my fall back is always the nautilus bun. I'm also a big fan of the figure eight.

BrendaLoan
March 9th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Figure eight bun, nautillus bun, cinnabun, diagonal dutch braid, five strand braid, fishtail braid... oh there are so many! I love playing with my hair :D

Lirona
March 9th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Coiled wrap bun!

http://i.imgur.com/8LChCUZ.png

Figure eight, French/Dutch braid (sometimes bunned), Jaime Leigh all distantly tied for second.

queenieheather
March 9th, 2014, 10:50 PM
For the first couple days after a wash, if it's not down I do a cinnabun with a fork or stick, sometimes a half up with a flexi. Further out from washing I do 2 dutch braids then bun the length with a stick,fork, or a flexi. It's way to hard to braid my slippery hair when freshly washed.

Misschilly
March 10th, 2014, 12:19 AM
My go to right now is the nautilus, lwb or just a folded up braid.

tlover
March 10th, 2014, 12:45 AM
Well I Always keep my hair up, but I change the buns and I'm trying to learn new all the time so I don't Think I have a favorite.

I do like braided buns (I can't leave braids down, but I like braids), nautilus and cimmemon though. they are fast and easy.

DarleneH
March 10th, 2014, 03:22 AM
Triple flipped ponytail either back of the head or on the side like this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2eZCVdmqP4&list=TLtBhdHLjNmIFMJ_kKiKKer_AfQaRId1Vg

Or I take 3 tiny jaw clips, pull back 3 tiny sections on the top, then do one pony flip at the bottom.

Siowiel
March 10th, 2014, 04:10 AM
Lounging at home simple braid or French braid, outdoors cinnamon/braided cinnamon, for both Dutch or French crown braid. I wish I could be bothered to do the crown braid more frequently, to me, this is the best hairstyle because it protects also my shorter strands as they don't fall out of the braid so easily and it keeps a long time, sometimes I sleep in it and go to the store to buy bread and milk or something like that in the morning without being very ashamed, although I wouldn't go to work without redoing it.

Wearing it down is not one of my favourite styles.

queenovnight
March 10th, 2014, 06:24 AM
I've recently started doing a basic or braided bun and securing it with hair-sticks. Before that, I just did a normal bun.. but it was boring so I added the hair sticks Lol.

Marbid
March 10th, 2014, 06:54 AM
Um.... Knot buns galore!

Really as long as i can hold it up with mini claw clips, its good to go. I often alternate to a braided bun, disk bun, nautilus, figure 8, buned dutch braid, twin cina buns, twin dutch braid buns ( very cute)....

In reality thou, my fast and speedy bun, the one i wears when i need my hair out of the way fast, is always a knot bun... But its not my fave in terms of looks, that would be one of the buns above.. Its just the easiest and most convenient of them all.

Stiria
March 10th, 2014, 07:47 AM
I love braided buns! My favorite is interlaced braids. So secure, comfortable and pretty. The oval bun is also very pretty.

jacqueline101
March 10th, 2014, 07:55 AM
I like a pony tail held with a scrunchi. If not that a nice braided bun.

clioariane
March 10th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Down or in a simple bun. Braid at night.

Agnes Hannah
March 10th, 2014, 09:11 AM
My go to's are:
cinnabun with a beak clip thingy or jeterfork
LWB with a fork
braid folded up or french braid with paranda
at night loose in a silksleep cap

Aingeal
March 10th, 2014, 09:32 AM
I love the lwb, disk bun, French and Dutch braid. Easy, quick, and cute.

cranberrymoonz
March 10th, 2014, 10:18 AM
I have MBL straight hair. The hairstyles I do most are easy&fast ones:

-half up styles with a simple mini claw-cip, or a side part and twisted or braided bangs
-a top-knot bun or double buns http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=50918554
-a side braid

melusine963
March 10th, 2014, 11:35 AM
My fastest, most secure style (and therefor the one I use most often) is a nautilus bun. Other favourites are the lazy wrap bun, disc bun, and braided nautilus.

ashke50
March 11th, 2014, 09:20 AM
My most common every day styles are hypno bun, figure 8, cinnabun, plaited cinnabun, natuilus, folded plait and equilibrium bun.

I also recommend checking out the Wear hair up for a month/few months/year challenge! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=102) thread for more ideas of easy daily updos.

Anje
March 11th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I've been on a braid kick for quite a while now. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that I also wear a lot of hats (typically ones with brims) and my buns are getting large enough that they're not terribly compatible. Infinity buns are my other go-to that fits under a hat.

anitacs9101
March 11th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I don't wear the same styles a lot because I get bored :) when I do my hair often it's something I'm trying for the first time. But I have a few favorites. Not in any particular order:

1. Cinnamon bun with tiny octopus or claw clips. SOOOO comfy and lasts forever! Plus, all the twisted sections stay put, and don't go underneath eachother, like a bee butt bun. I hate that!
2. English braided bun. Super pretty and easy.
3. Rose bun or double rose bun. (one or two rope braids, bunned) Similar to english braided bun. Doesn't stay as well, but is SUPER pretty. I always get tons of compliments on it.
4. Spidermom's bun, or double loop bun. I love this because most hair stick buns I think look like a weirdly shaped blob, and this one looks nice. It's also my favorite style for a flexi-8.
5. Side braids. I love experimenting with braids and side braiding makes it easy :)

That's all I can think of right now :)

ExpectoPatronum
March 11th, 2014, 08:02 PM
I'm definitely a 'braid every day' type of girl. I love dutch braids, especially. For some reason, I can do that, but I can't quite master the french braid...

First day hair, it's usually in a standard braid or a bun.

Second day and beyond, usually the Hunger Games braid since that comes out nicer on slightly to very greasy hair. I can do it on freshly washed hair, but the result isn't as pretty.

CurlyCap
March 11th, 2014, 08:30 PM
A. Secure curls with a scrunchie on top of head.
B. Grab curls to form a loose ball.
C. Shove curls into some 3D pleasing shape, usually with a few draping over my forehead.
D. Pin into place using 4" bobby pins, hiding the scrunchie and forcing the curls to drape as desired.

Looks like it took hours and actually takes about 2 minutes.

Sadly, I'm still usually too lazy to even do that. So I:

A. Secure with scrunchie.
B. Go downstairs to get coffee

darklyndsea
March 11th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Braided oblong cinnabun-ish thing. The braid type varies depending on how much I feel like messing with my hair (which is to say, mostly it's an english braid). I have to redo the bun every day, but the braid stays good for about a week if I'm feeling extra lazy.

HoneyDayTripper
March 11th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Best at preventing tangles is a dutch braid-- though I like the look of a simple English braid I find that french ones keep everything in place an untangled. I also like a modified Gibson roll (winding the hair around my fingers then pinning it with some hair-friendly large pins)-- not the Gibson tuck where you cram all the hair into the ponytail! Gibson rolls are great if you want to look sort of vintagy or ladylike-- especially if you have curly face framing tendrils. If I'm dressing trendier I'll do a top knot with pins-- although my hair is so heavy now I can get neckaches from it.

Anje
March 11th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Sadly, I'm still usually too lazy to even do that. So I:

A. Secure with scrunchie.
B. Go downstairs to get coffee
Yep. My other updo: Wad into a bun, stagger downstairs for coffee. May or may not have combed hair at this point. :D

pittie-lover
March 11th, 2014, 09:37 PM
I wear my hair in a bun almost everyday. Sometimes I will go a french braid or English braid or a fish tail. Those are my favorite. I'm just learning how to do a Dutch braid

Wisteria
March 11th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Right now my hair is too short and too much to hold in one ponytail. I'm also trying to stop using rubber bands.
1. Part hair down the middle.
2. Take a section of hair from the back and wrap around the rest of the hair. (That strand is the shortest and like to escape whenever I try to pull my hair back)
3. Use a medium sized claw clip to hold hair.
4. Repeat for the other side.

Frida
March 11th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Lately I've been taking it out of a sleep-braid, combing it and putting it up in a lazy wrap bun. My hair can be very stubborn and this style seems to be the only one that works every time. Plus, I'm lazy and can't be bothered to do much to it!

Stray_mind
March 12th, 2014, 05:05 AM
I usually do an english braid, a pecock twist or a loosely tied ponytail in the middle of my head. Somedays i just keep my hair loose or put it in a half up.

kjb926
March 12th, 2014, 07:50 AM
I love how braids look on my head, but they always leave such an ugly tail, I'm trying to figure out a way to pin up the ends into a pretty bun, but my hair is silky and always sticks out or starts falling out.

Jessleigh
March 12th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Subbing to read later.

LongHairLesbian
March 12th, 2014, 11:28 AM
I'm a complete braid fanatic! I love trying out new braids, or new variations on often used styles. Side braids are what I'm usually wearing. I haven't gotten into buns yet, but I will soon!

lapushka
March 12th, 2014, 11:41 AM
So, I was wondering, what are your favorite everyday hairstyles (besides just wearing it down)? I'm curious mainly about styles that would be acceptable/neat enough for work or hanging out with friends. I'm getting bored of just a simple braid or bun. Thanks in advance! :)

Cinnabun & LWB.

Rinna
March 16th, 2014, 06:27 PM
I never wear my hair up outside the house. My hair is midback length, and my goto style is tying back the sides, so it's not in my face.

HumanBean
March 16th, 2014, 08:55 PM
My favorite is a Dutch french braid from the top all the way down the length, then I tuck the regular braid portion back up underneath one side of the french braid, like I'm creating a little faux Mohawk, then secure with a stick, or a ficcare, or just spin pins or hairpins, whatever. I always feel like it's both classy and modern.

ArienEllariel
March 16th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I've noticed since I started a job requiring a uniform that I change up my hairstyles more often than I did when I wasn't wearing basically the same outfit every day. I like french/dutch braids, top knots, the orchid bun, various half ups or even just braiding a little lace braid at the bang area with the rest down. Long hair is quite versatile. Anytime I start thinking there's nothing to do with my hair I'll browse the lhc, youtube, or pinterest and find something else that looks cute to try. :)

animetor7
March 17th, 2014, 12:28 AM
I really love crown braids and "milkmaid" braids for everyday hairstyles.

Heatherzilla
March 21st, 2014, 05:48 AM
I rock a lazy wrap bun most days. I loved doing a pencil bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34) when my hair was shorter, but I get lots of pokey bits when I try it now. I need to try some more hairstick buns.

I like the idea of braids, but my layers always make the tail messy so sometimes I'll braid the top of my hair, and just tie it off at the nape of my neck. It looks especially pretty if I flip the tail inside out.

emilia1992
March 21st, 2014, 08:01 AM
A knot bun - twist your hair, pull the ends through, then braid what's left (as in, the hair that comes out through the centre of the knot_. Then tuck the braid under and secure with spin pins. It takes a couple of minutes only, but looks like a proper updo.

Lindenare
March 21st, 2014, 11:05 AM
For the past few weeks, I've been wearing a pencil bun almost daily. Before that, I generally wore my hair in a single braid (French or English, mostly).