PDA

View Full Version : Massive S&D!

Jessleigh
March 9th, 2014, 02:42 PM
After really having the time and the proper lighting against a dark background I've discovered how much damage there is. :boohoo: I've been s&d on a daily basis for almost a week and just continue to find lots of splits and white dots. :( I'm determined to get rid of all the damage and maintain my current length while thickening up my hemline. Anyone else been through this? Or going through it now?

hafattack
March 9th, 2014, 02:53 PM
I NEED to. Everytime I'm in the car when DH is driving I'm appalled at the damagd I see. It's overwhelming to me at this point

MarlieJane
March 9th, 2014, 03:00 PM
My whole head is splits and white dots. I still can't figure out why.... I too just need to set aside a chunk of time and get at it!

Jessleigh
March 9th, 2014, 03:08 PM
I had my hair down in a side braid yesterday and they were everywhere. You're right, you can see them very well in the car. It made me wish I had a second pair of shears in the van. Overwhelming indeed. :(

hafattack
March 9th, 2014, 03:13 PM
The car is always the place where they stand out... mut be the lighting

Madora
March 9th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Ladies, you might want to try catnip rinses to help with your problem: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2009/11/part-3-of-4-on-innovative-approaches-to.html

jacqueline101
March 9th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I just redid my s&d my scissors were dull and I am putting mine up until July. I don't want to thin my ends. I might have to try cat nip to help my ends.

serin blackwood
March 9th, 2014, 03:53 PM
My DH recently bought a pair of magnifying visors with LED lights for modeling, and OH MY! how excellent they are for S&d'ing!!!
Two weeks ago, I did a thorough job with them, plus new Tweezerman scissors, plus I dipped my ends in catnip tea afterwards, and so far I see a vast improvement. (I do catnip rinses, but like Madora, I only wash once every three or four weeks, hence the dipping after an S&D session).

cathair
March 9th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Yup, I've been through it/am going through it. If I leave it a few months there are billions. Trying to do it at least once a week now. Can always see more in sunlight than artificial light, which is infuriating because it's quite dark in my flat. I do it with an anglepoise lamp over my shoulder now.

I haven't tried catnip yet, but I am planning to grow catnip this summer so I can have a decent go at catnip rinses.

I hope you win your S&D battle.

Brileeka
March 10th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Yeah I've been going through my hair looking for splits like crazy the past couple days. It never seems to end! they got bad again after I misplaced my scissors for like a month. I think what causes a lot of mine is mechanical damage from just regular combing and I know I got my hair in a big tangley mess about a week ago when I tried to curl my hair using a head band. I'm never trying that again! It was terrible and I didn't really have enough time to properly detangle it because I was in a rush to get out the door so that defiantly made the damage worse. So I'm S&Ding like a crazy woman.

ReneeG
March 10th, 2014, 09:14 PM
I did this a month ago! Spent a week doing hours of S&D and got a good amount, but really it made my hemline look scraggly. It was soft but not as even ans thick as I wanted. So.... I got a 1 inch trim which got rid of all the rest of the splits and made my hemline thicker. Lost an inch, but it looks healthier in my opinion. I know the pain of not wanting to cut though!

Tini'sNewHair
March 11th, 2014, 12:14 AM
Ive just started to S&D again after a few months stop. Took me hours to do just a small section from the front gahhh!! Im being super thorough this time. Im not sure what to think of those strands who have a white dot at the end but when I cut it (no matter how many times) the white dot is still thrre.. maybe its because the hair is so thick that it shows the cut as a white dot? Anyhow, I found a few strands that has a split/s on but nothing alarming. I will need a trim to even up my hemline tho but I will wait until im a solid waist for my first trim.

lapushka
March 11th, 2014, 10:05 AM
I grew out a perm from shoulder length to hip+ length, all the while my hair was riddled with white dots. Sometimes a few hairs broke off, but nothing much in the range of thinning out my hemline. White dots are breakage, but they don't break off right away. We started to S&D at hip+ and that significantly thinned out my hem, so much so that I had to have it cut back to BSL. So, even though your hair is full of white dots, be careful with too much S&D!

spidermom
March 11th, 2014, 10:09 AM
You said you want to thicken your ends. S&D will do the opposite. A series of small trims will be better suited to your goals.

serin blackwood
March 11th, 2014, 04:33 PM
I've been cutting off white dots, luckily most of mine are within an inch or so of the end. After seeing them magnified, I feel that they probably add greatly to tangled and "velcro ends, friction and breakage. Here are what white dots looks like under my microscope:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/cshprd/image_zps14d1d189.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/cshprd/158c8fb155d592d3b5e3db814224e489_zps105c7a1c.jpg

cathair
March 11th, 2014, 04:45 PM
I grew out a perm from shoulder length to hip+ length, all the while my hair was riddled with white dots. Sometimes a few hairs broke off, but nothing much in the range of thinning out my hemline. White dots are breakage, but they don't break off right away. We started to S&D at hip+ and that significantly thinned out my hem, so much so that I had to have it cut back to BSL. So, even though your hair is full of white dots, be careful with too much S&D!

Was your hair very tangely at the ends whilst you were growing out? If so, did you have a method to combat that?

I find for me it's not really the breakage which is so bad exactly, but the ends of my hair become so grabby if I don't cut out the white dots. I'm sure being so grabby and hard to detangle creates more breakage, because they are grabbing onto intact hairs and tangling them up. Then those healthy hairs get worn from the detangling, even if those hair with white dots are not breaking off themselves.

lapushka
March 11th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Was your hair very tangely at the ends whilst you were growing out? If so, did you have a method to combat that?

I find for me it's not really the breakage which is so bad exactly, but the ends of my hair become so grabby if I don't cut out the white dots. I'm sure being so grabby and hard to detangle creates more breakage, because they are grabbing onto intact hairs and tangling them up. Then those healthy hairs get worn from the detangling, even if those hair with white dots are not breaking off themselves.

Nope. My hair wasn't particularly tangly - at all. But my hair was well moisturized due to the WCC method for washing, so double the conditioner after a shampoo. Then followed by the LOC method for styling (Leave-in (so another boost of moisture), Oil/serum, and styling Cream/gel).

cathair
March 11th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Nope. My hair wasn't particularly tangly - at all. But my hair was well moisturized due to the WCC method for washing, so double the conditioner after a shampoo. Then followed by the LOC method for styling (Leave-in (so another boost of moisture), Oil/serum, and styling Cream/gel).

That's interesting, I can't help being a little envious. Your hair is definitely a lot thicker than mine, I wonder if that helps in some way. I didn't think WCC would make much difference to me because I use loads of conditioner anyway, but perhaps it couldn't hurt to try. Thanks for the reply :)

Jessleigh
March 11th, 2014, 06:48 PM
You said you want to thicken your ends. S&D will do the opposite. A series of small trims will be better suited to your goals.

Yes, I do. But I also want healthy hair. So I'm going to s&d and microtrim monthly for a while.

ReneeG
March 11th, 2014, 06:56 PM
I've been cutting off white dots, luckily most of mine are within an inch or so of the end. After seeing them magnified, I feel that they probably add greatly to tangled and "velcro ends, friction and breakage. Here are what white dots looks like under my microscope:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/cshprd/image_zps14d1d189.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/cshprd/158c8fb155d592d3b5e3db814224e489_zps105c7a1c.jpg

This is so awesome!!! Thanks for sharing the microscopic image of the white dots, I always wondered about them. I mean, we can see actual splits but the white ends are always less obviously damaged to the naked eye