PDA

View Full Version : Straight and fuzzy or naturally curly- which will get me the job?

CremeTron
March 9th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Hello! I am new here and have been worrying for days about a job interview.

I worked in a corporate environment about 8 years ago and at the time I had to get rid of the blue hair and braids to fit in! My hair was relaxed bone straight. Now my hair is completely natural and I will not change that. I went into a different industry so I could be "me". Trouble is financially I am now struggling and I have an interview for a job I really want, not just for the salary but certain perks will be so beneficial for me.

Anyway, I know that my hair quirks will be accommodated in the job, I have seen staff there but I am awfully worried about the interview. It is a day long group thing and I really want to give the right impression.

My hair is currently blow- dried straight (first time in years to check length) and I cannot wait to get it back curly as it was lovely to have straight hair for a time but now I find it is very dry and not a good style to keep moisturised. Anyway I am going to wear a simple bun with a side swept fringe and I am not sure if I should my hair like this until the interview in a few days time- it is straight but fuzzyish at the roots. Or should I wash it out? My natural curls are glossy and do look tidy when style. I think most of my hair is 3c if that helps anyone picture it. Either way I will style it the same (bun with side swept fringe).

Anyway I hate the way corporate environments can be against "ethnic hair" even if they are not against people of colour. I am not going to compromise my hair or my ethnicity, not that I could anyway. It is a very liberal workplace but I do think the interview will be tough and it is vital I look like "the right sort of person for the role". I need to look right.

The pro of the straight hair is is will look the same all day. With the curly it will shrink and dry out a little as day progresses.

So.. sorry if it seems rambly but which hairstyle do you think will make me look better and more employable? I hate being this nervous, not felt like this since for about 17 year but it means a lot to me.

Life is on the up since my husband left me 5 years ago and this is a very important step for me.

two_wheels
March 9th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Where do you live approximately? I think it varies depending on where you are.

restless
March 9th, 2014, 05:47 AM
I know this answer sounds so cliche but... I think you should pick the hairstyle that you feel the most confident in. When people feel good about themselves it show through in their behaviour and the employer will see that.

CremeTron
March 9th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Thank you Restless. That is a good tip.

Two_Wheels, I live in Kent, my interview is in Liverpool. I live in the UK

two_wheels
March 9th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Ah hello neighbour! (I'm in London.) I work in corporate land too and see both straightened and natural all the time, as long as it's neat and you're comfortable I think it's fine in the UK. Of course, I haven't had first hand experience of making the decision, but I personally find both looks perfectly professional.

two_wheels
March 9th, 2014, 07:23 AM
PS most importantly- good luck with the interview!

queenovnight
March 9th, 2014, 07:36 AM
If it looks neater in the curly style, go with that. As far as I know, employers are more concerned about the neatness of the hair, not the texture. Either way, I hope you get the job!

sarahthegemini
March 9th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Unless your hair is horrendously dirty or messy and wild, I don't think it matters.

Wisé
March 9th, 2014, 02:34 PM
I would try to avoid frizz because I think it is as queenovnight says. You should try do avoid looking even remotely untidy, unkempt or sloppy. Having said this, this is not based on job interview experience on my part, but more on how I think that character traits are judged.

ErinLeigh
March 9th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Would it be in an updo if left curly also?

CremeTron
March 9th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Thank you huys for the input so far. Yes, I will pin it into a bun with a side swept fringe behind one ear whether curly or straight.

CurlyCap
March 9th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Rock your hair the way you want to wear it. Really.

I went through this when I was younger. I felt a lot of pressure to wear my hair straight or pinned so tight that they couldn't tell it was curly. Thing is, people say they have no problem against POC working there, but then can expect people to wear their hair in way that doesn't naturally occur.

Experience has taught me that I don't want to work with the the type of people who are uncomfortable with naturally curly hair that is well groomed. Because if they have doubts about me based on my hair, what other assumptions are they going to make based on my appearance?

Now I make sure my hair is well groomed for MY hair, dress professionally but according to my own style, and just do as I please.

Oddly, you'll find that a lot of the stares are jealousy. For some reason, curly-heads are taught their entire lives that the volume we constantly try to suppress is a bad thing....when others are trying desperately to achieve it.

CremeTron
March 11th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Hello again, sorry for delay. Had interview!

Two_Wheels: howdy neighbour and thank you for the good luck!!

Thanks Sarahthegemini, queenovnight and Wise. In the end I realised that as long as it was neat I would be fine so I went with my natural hair. Unfortunately I had a bad hair day (with curly hair can be so unpredictable, no two days the same) but even though it frizzed a little you could clearly see it was clean and freshly styled. So hopefully that's ok.

To CurlyCap: Yes, I completely agree. The interview day itself was outsourced to a recruitment centre so though I know my place of work is liberal I think the outsourced staff might be more judgy. But in the end I took your advice and decided to just do me and be done with it.

Thanks again everyone

CremeTron
March 11th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Oh and CurlyCap, it's so interesting to note some of it is jealousy. I used to feel self conscious at times but lately when I sort of catch people staring they say they were admiring my curls! How nice : )

two_wheels
March 11th, 2014, 06:47 PM
I'm so glad you went as you- aesthetically speaking I love natural hair so much more than straightened. But I don't think it's anyone's place to say: don't/do straighten your hair. It's yours. Glad you went with what you normally enjoy.

threadOfGold
March 12th, 2014, 12:26 AM
How did it go, have you heard back! Don't worry curly hair can have a personality of its own and it's lovely. I love curly hair, where my mum works in the u.k there's loads of different hair types, as long as you fit the clothing requirements (sensible,etc) and wear your hair up if required and are good at what you do nothing will go wrong! Best of luck to you

CremeTron
March 18th, 2014, 02:49 AM
Thank you two_wheels.

threadOfGold, I received an email yesterday inviting me for a second interview!!

That is nice that people appreciate curly heads. Honestly I never realised it until very recently.