PDA

View Full Version : People who don't like long hair.

cdonald2
March 8th, 2014, 05:51 PM
I never understood the mentality of disliking long hair. I think its absolutely beautiful, and even for those who have super thick hair, there is always a to trim or thin it as you grow it long to make it easier to handle.

My aunt has the most beautiful hair ive seen. Its so shiny and thick... but ive never seen it past cheek length. Its been that short her entire life. I think its an absolute tragedy.

my mom used to have longer hair, but as shes getting older she just keeps cutting it short because "its like straw and she cant do anything with it". Ive given her advice on treatments and such but she wont take it, insists on washing her hair every day with cheaper shampoos, and yet still complains. It makes me sad because i know her hair could look better and easier to handle but she doesnt like the inconvenience of treatments and insists on washing her hair every day. So her solution is to chop it off.

anyone else know someone with beautiful hair potential that just doesnt embrace it?

Madora
March 8th, 2014, 06:38 PM
My niece (in her early 20s) has beautiful mid back almost black hair..and a lot of it..but is bored silly re: any attempts to really take care of it or wear it up. A pity, because she certainly inherited great genes from her mom's side of the family!

spidermom
March 8th, 2014, 06:41 PM
I've been pretty disappointed when LHCers decided to go for the cut. In real life, I don't really think about it. I have tried to offer advice to complainers before, and it seems that some people don't want a solution. They like complaining, I guess.

ichosethis
March 8th, 2014, 06:48 PM
I have an aunt who had gorgeous hair when I was young, about tailbone length and well maintained, and she cut it all off. She did it for practical/safety reasons as she didn't want it catching in machinery but I was so sad. She's started growing it out again and it's past her shoulders but it's definitely not the same.

One of my sister's would have gorgeous hair if she grew it out (and stopped coloring it, or took better care of it so the color does less damage) but her hair is super thick and she hates brushing/combing it. It's currently past her shoulders and at the longest I've seen her hair since she was 3 or so.

Tini'sNewHair
March 8th, 2014, 10:57 PM
I just cant stand people who complain that their hair is really bad but wont let go of their flat iron and all the super bad damaging habbits - I wont go there anymore... their problem. My best friend seemed to have ignored all the info i gave her on hair care after SHE asked for it... thats the last time i will bother. Im just going to take care of my own hair now and not let myself get bothered by others. I have seen plenty of beautiful hair around at such short lengths... their choice at the end of the day.

jeanniet
March 8th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Some people don't want their hair long. I don't see an issue with it, especially if they're not telling you to cut yours. I don't see how it could possibly be considered a "tragedy"--but what would be really sad would be someone growing their hair out just to please other people, just as much as someone cutting their hair for the same reason.

RedNymph
March 8th, 2014, 11:52 PM
I've got nothing against short hair. I've got short hair at the moment and people with long hair are always telling me to grow it out. I am but people still can't get over their stigma for short hair. It does take ages to grow hair.

But if it's a person choice to have short hair, I really wouldn't call it a tragedy.

LauraLongLocks
March 9th, 2014, 12:16 AM
I've never seen my mom with hair longer than her shoulders and most of her life it's been in a pixie cut. She kept mine in a page boy style when I was very young, and I was always somewhere between a pixie and APL as a child and teen. She just never knew how to style it and care for it, even though she admires long hair. She is now far too busy to fuss with caring for long hair. For her, shampooing daily and keeping it in a pixie is easier, so that's how she rolls. She has a beautiful rich dark brown color and baby fine hair. I've always liked how silky and shiny it is. But, hey, I have her silky, shiny, dark hair on my own head, and I can grow mine out as long as I want, so if I want to enjoy it long, I can! ;)

Quixii
March 9th, 2014, 12:17 AM
I think people are allowed to have what ever length of hair they want, but it does kind of annoy me when people say something like, "Oh, I had to cut my long hair because it was always getting in the way!" I have no idea what they're talking about - long hair is the easiest and quickest thing ever to get up and out of the way, while people with short hair seem to constantly have bits getting in their face that they can't secure back.

juliaxena
March 9th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Oh gosh, to each their own, right? If I only want WL is that also a tragedy?Where is the limit for it?

cdonald2
March 9th, 2014, 12:45 AM
I think people are allowed to have what ever length of hair they want, but it does kind of annoy me when people say something like, "Oh, I had to cut my long hair because it was always getting in the way!" I have no idea what they're talking about - long hair is the easiest and quickest thing ever to get up and out of the way, while people with short hair seem to constantly have bits getting in their face that they can't secure back.

I agree with this 100%
the longest i ever was was about apl-bsl (somewhere in between) and now that its shorter (i had to due to over damaging it... live and learn) its much harder to deal with now. It seems to get in the way now more that its shorter.

I cant wait for mine to get to waist length. <3

HazelBug
March 9th, 2014, 12:48 AM
I only get annoyed if people talk about wanting long hair and ask how I did it (was at tbl then) and when I said that I don't use heat and I oild my ends they would about freak. "I could never go without blowdrying/straightening/whatever heat styling" Yeah. Then you probably will continue to have breakage like you always have. Long hair care is simple. Treat it gently and tuck it out of the way when it could get damaged. And time.

0xalis
March 9th, 2014, 01:09 AM
If everyone liked and had long hair, I'd have a lot more "competition"! Haha. I want my hair to be long and healthy enough to stand out, because standing out makes me happy :o

As someone attracted to people with short hair, I have no problem with people who don't want their hair long ;)

MadeiraD
March 9th, 2014, 01:14 AM
To each their own, as long as you don't complain about my or my husband's hair we're fine (awhile ago we were taking a walk and some old biddy had the audacity to say to him "You have beautiful hair, you should give it to a girl" talk about RUDE)

LadyCelestina
March 9th, 2014, 03:20 AM

Yes,this.But I can see how their long hair was always getting in the way,if it wasn't always up.

I don't have trouble understanding people who chose to have short hair.That is perfectly normal,but I would love an insight into a mind of a person who doesn't like long hair in general (and dogs but that's a different story),just because it's so foreign to my thinking of "the longer,the better".

ETA :Anyway I don't think there will be many of those who don't like long hair on LHC,unless for trolling :D

Marika
March 9th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Some people don't want their hair long. I don't see an issue with it, especially if they're not telling you to cut yours. I don't see how it could possibly be considered a "tragedy"--but what would be really sad would be someone growing their hair out just to please other people, just as much as someone cutting their hair for the same reason.

I agree with this 100 %. Most of the people I know in real life don't want long hair and then there are some who don't have enough patience for growing. Doesn't bother me at all. Maybe I'm self-centered but I don't really pay any attention to other people's hair (unless it's LHC hair :D).

YamaMaya
March 9th, 2014, 04:57 AM
People can dislike long hair all they want, same as I dislike over processed looking hair. Thing is, I don't tell them what to do with their hair so I expect the same courtesy. I'll give advise if asked sure, but advise is like those free mints at a restaurant, you can take or leave it it makes no difference to me. The only thing that irks me is when I tell someone my goal (classic length) and they balk as if spiders have suddenly started crawling out my mouth and start telling me no no no I can't do that. Oh yes I bloody can :whip:.

pixldust
March 9th, 2014, 06:52 AM

This, 100%. When my hair was short, I used to think that long hair must be so much hard work. Now that my hair is longer, I've realised how much easier it is to care for. Put it up, and that's it. No battling with the hairdryer and straighners and a million different products to get it to look ok, which is what I used to have to do a lot of the time with short hair, and particularly when I was having a bad hair day.

queenovnight
March 9th, 2014, 07:40 AM
My sister has gorgeous medium brown hair. Extremely thick too... but she hates long hair. She dyes it black, straightens it daily and cuts it every month. I don't understand it! She has such lovely hair! Oh, forgot to mention.. She says that she hates long hair because it gets in the way, she can't style it, and that's its just too high maintenance.

sarahthegemini
March 9th, 2014, 07:49 AM
I never understood the mentality of disliking long hair. I think its absolutely beautiful, and even for those who have super thick hair, there is always a to trim or thin it as you grow it long to make it easier to handle.

...it's a matter of opinion.

Toffeemonster
March 9th, 2014, 08:28 AM
I have no issue with anyones choice in hair, be it colour length style, whatever they like! Nevermind different things do suit different people, I know a couple of women who got their hair cut very short(which I'd usually dislike) and they looked considerably more attractive and feminine than usual. It's much the same as men with beards and hair lengths, different things suit different people and opinions on what suits who differ. When it comes down to it, there are far better things to concern ourselves with :)

Monkshood
March 9th, 2014, 08:37 AM
My mother's hair is hopelessly dry and it breaks off before it can get past her shoulders. She's probably a secret curly. I'm sure her hair would look awesome if she took proper care of it (I did give her some advice), but she doesn't care and, at the end of the day, neither do I. My own appreciation for long hair is a very recent development and as someone who used to hate dealing with her hair so much she would cover it up everyday with a bandana, I totally understand not wanting to deal with a whole lot of it. Long hair is easier to deal with in many ways, but if you don't care about hair styles or hair care, it's nothing but a chore.

molljo
March 9th, 2014, 12:53 PM
To use a phrase from this very community, "they're not here to decorate your world."

People who complain but refuse to take advice is a completely different matter, though.

Eviloverqueen
March 9th, 2014, 01:09 PM
My grandmother discouraged me from growing my hair beyond shoulder-length, not because it wasn't beautiful, but because it's harder to style in ways that are in fashion. I think that may be why a lot of women don't want to grow it out; they don't like long hair enough to make up for the inconvenience of having to invest more thought and energy into styling it.

Fashionable styles these days are difficult to accomplish with particularly long hair, and for people who want 40's style Dita hair, or anything else they see on the red carpet, it's problematic.

I fought tooth and nail to get and keep my hair long, and I'm fully and completely satisfied with that. Having no interest in what's in style, I lose nothing to get and keep the hair I want.

Mythago
March 9th, 2014, 01:36 PM
I agree with most comments on here...to each his/her own. Some people look better with long hair, some actually do look better with short hair. I don't care what others want to do with their hair just so long as they don't try to dictate what I do with mine!

Fericera
March 9th, 2014, 01:36 PM

I agree. I think short hair can look really nice but it requires sooo much styling, products, and time. Back when my hair was long it was just a braid or bun and it wouldn't tangle or get in the way at all. I can't wait to get back to that.

sarahthegemini
March 9th, 2014, 01:39 PM
To each their own, as long as you don't complain about my or my husband's hair we're fine (awhile ago we were taking a walk and some old biddy had the audacity to say to him "You have beautiful hair, you should give it to a girl" talk about RUDE)

Oh my goodness, someone actually said that?!

Larki
March 9th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Re: the amount of maintenance for short hair, does that depend of hair type? I've never had my hair super short, but I had a bob for several months and it didn't require any more maintenance than when my hair was hip length. It was brush and go no matter what.

Zebra Fish
March 9th, 2014, 01:44 PM
My mum doesn't like long hair, at least on me, always had some comments. I'm still fighting on this field. But every now and then I make her accept some "better" practice on hair. Few years ago I bought better shampoo and conditioner to her (better for her hair, the way she treats her and so on), and before she finished them she asked me to get her that shampoo and conditioner again :) Every now and then she does oil packages (but that is mostly when she comes to visit me or I go home). And yesterday I gave her a clarifying shampoo and explained her only later what is it :p

And no, I don't think that longer hair makes you look older. I think it depends mostly of the person. Some people look good with really short hair. Some look awesome with long. And how you feel it and wear it - the attitude shows - if you feel good in it or you are insecure.

Wisé
March 9th, 2014, 01:49 PM
I do not bother with the decision of other people to cut their hair. I am always glad if I can "convert" someone to see how beautiful long hair can be (a friend of mine who never went past her cheeks for years has stopped cutting since I befriended her - I never talked with her about her hair, I guess it was more through the example I am - and is growing them out, even asking me for advise), but I would never argue if someone simply says that s/he prefers long hair.

What I am always sad about is when people say "You have so beautifully long hair, but mine would never grow to that length". My hair stalled at BSL without me being too harsh (never dyed, straightened or blow dried) and always grows very slowly, but I did manage to reach tailbone. Most Caucasians hair will grow longer than BSL even when abused, so if I could do it, they can too, dammit.

Henna Girl
March 9th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Yes, my mother, she is 65 with thick beautiful brown wavy hair that hasn't gone grey yet!! But she insists on cutting it short :( I tried and tried many times to convince her to grow it a bit, at least to CBL, but she never listens! On the contrary she keeps nagging me to cut my own hair!

threadOfGold
March 9th, 2014, 02:23 PM
I think it just depends on who you are, where you come from, what books you read, what shows you watch. Stuff like that, I'm more of a fairytale reading person where beautiful long hair is always described which makes me want it for myself, whereas there may be another girl who is really into high fashion and blunt cut bobs and desires for that. Everything depends on influence really, all you have to do is go for what you really want and that's what matters. I get the whole being annoyed at people who don't grow long hair because they feel like they will get judged, but if someone genuinely doesn't want long hair, let it be! They probably feel about long hair as long haired people feel about shorter hair. Everyone is different, and hey, I wonder if there is a short hair community, hmm? :o

pixldust
March 9th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Re: the amount of maintenance for short hair, does that depend of hair type? I've never had my hair super short, but I had a bob for several months and it didn't require any more maintenance than when my hair was hip length. It was brush and go no matter what.

It depends on hair type and also the style of cut. When I had short hair, I generally used to go for those asymetric type styled, ones which had very straight sections. Which for me, being a bit wavy, meant blowdrying and straightening to get it to look the way it was meant to. Similiarly, someone with fine straight hair would have to do work to get volume or a tousled texture to thier hair.

jeanniet
March 9th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I agree. I think short hair can look really nice but it requires sooo much styling, products, and time. Back when my hair was long it was just a braid or bun and it wouldn't tangle or get in the way at all. I can't wait to get back to that.

Not necessarily. My hair is up to about shoulder now and takes about half the time it did when it was hip. I probably don't spend two hours a week on my hair, and that includes washing three times. Less product, too.

swearnsue
March 9th, 2014, 05:05 PM
My mother hates long hair on anyone, she just hates hair and wears a wig. She also hates music, animals, children, books and church. Hair is a symbol of the life force and negative people like her will react to it like a vampire reacts to garlic.

LOL, yes I have issues with my mother! LOL.

lapushka
March 9th, 2014, 06:41 PM
my mom used to have longer hair, but as shes getting older she just keeps cutting it short because "its like straw and she cant do anything with it". Ive given her advice on treatments and such but she wont take it, insists on washing her hair every day with cheaper shampoos, and yet still complains. It makes me sad because i know her hair could look better and easier to handle but she doesnt like the inconvenience of treatments and insists on washing her hair every day. So her solution is to chop it off.

There's nothing wrong with "cheap" shampoos - at all, neither is there with washing hair daily! Some people need to wash daily, or even want to.

As for the rest, everyone has the freedom to do with their hair as they please, even if it doesn't please you!

PrincessIdril
March 9th, 2014, 07:01 PM
I've never understood why folks here are so bothered by what other people choose to do to their own hair. So what if someone wants to grow/cut/straighten/curl/dye/whatever it? It is their hair to do with what they will. You (general) don't like it when people tell you to cut it so isn't it a tad hypocritical to nag people to stop straightening/dying/cutting etc?

shutterpillar
March 9th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I don't bother myself with what people decide to do to their own hair. If they ask for advice, I give it to the best of my ability and it's their choice to take it or leave it. If they have beautiful hair and want to cut it, that's their decision and I'm not going to deem it a tragedy. Why let someone's decision about their hair affect me? I'm more worried about getting my own hair to top condition as it grows because I'm the one that'll be walking around with it on my head. :)

RoseofCimarron
March 9th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I knew someone who had beautiful APL (very healthy) silver hair. She was feeling kind of down about herself one day and I told her that I thought her hair was beautiful, and she then said (forcefully) that she has no plans to ever grow it long again, so don't even think about it, and that I should do what she did (she once had hip-length hair, she got tired of it, and put in a ponytail and cut it back to her shoulders), because my hair looks ridiculous. She later told me that she hates long hair on anybody. I don't know why I stayed friends with her for over a year.

chen bao jun
March 9th, 2014, 07:29 PM
I feel sad when someone with beautiful hair cuts their hair short. It's my opinion. sometimes I see someone that I think they have beautiful hair and I 'd like to see it longer. I don't give my opinion though, unless asked. They are free to think whatever they like about me, too. Except if they want me to straighten my curls, I wish they'd keep it to themselves. But I don't control their thoughts.

UltraBella
March 9th, 2014, 08:08 PM
My mother has incredibly thick, beautiful salt & pepper hair and she keeps it very short because that's the way she likes it. It's been short my entire life but I've seen photos of it long from when she was young and it was amazing. But, she prefers it very short and I'm fine with that - it's her hair after all.

I prefer my hair much shorter than I previously wore it. Collar bone length or armpit length is about all I can stand now and I really enjoy shoulder length. I don't ever want TBL hair again. When I cut it most LHCers were very supportive but a few got upset with me. I was surprised, I didn't think anyone else would care that much about hair that wasn't theirs.

MandyBeth
March 9th, 2014, 10:05 PM
My mother had the cat fine hair that I got from her, but probably very straight (never had frizz or naughty hair with humidity) and extremely thin. My stupidly thick hair - English braid isn't possible until after APL - packs down tight, hers was worse. I've seen pictures - even well cared for shoulder length (comb from ends vs yank from roots, shampoo only once, always use at least a creme rinse, avoid heat) looks bad for her. She was stunning with a choppy, little punkish pixie. She looked amazing with no hair.

The blasted fine hair for me - SL is max. Past that, it's too fine and gets far too damaged.

Which is when I dislike long hair. If it looks a wreck, I don't want that on my head. I may think it's bad on another, but that's not my hair, so it's not my business.

I'm still around because I have children with long to extremely long hair. Including one with extremely curly and extremely long hair.

Quasiquixotic
March 9th, 2014, 10:44 PM
I have a term for people who complain to you about problems but then ignore all your advice only to complain to you about the same problem again in the future, like your solution had changed!

They are an "ask-hole"

ravenreed
March 9th, 2014, 10:54 PM
My hair was insanely easy when short. I hate how much time it takes just in the shower every other day. Before it was S&C and out the door. Now it's condition, massage, let sit at least 15 minutes, rinserinserinse, if necessary repeat, acv, rinserinserinse, and finally the catnip rinse. The Elumen takes forever compared to the box dyes that I could use when my hair was shorter too. I am happy with the Elumen, don't get me wrong. But between application, blowdrying, sitting, rinsing and clean up, it's two hour event ever six weeks or so.

Not necessarily. My hair is up to about shoulder now and takes about half the time it did when it was hip. I probably don't spend two hours a week on my hair, and that includes washing three times. Less product, too.

sycamoreboutiqu
March 9th, 2014, 11:06 PM
This exactly. I spend WAY less time on my hair now than I ever did but everyone assumes it is such a burden. It is not.

It may take me an hour longer, once per week to wash, dry and detangle but that is only 1x per week, not daily !

- long hair is the easiest and quickest thing ever to get up and out of the way, while people with short hair seem to constantly have bits getting in their face that they can't secure back.

veryhairyfairy
March 10th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Meh, I don't care what other people do to their hair. :shrug: I have two sisters with opposite hair that I would love to see long; one abuses her thick, wavy, blonde hair to epic proportions, the other perms her fine, 1a, gorgeous chocolate brown hair and keeps it chin+ length. Both of them would have amazing long hair, and if they wanted to grow I would love to help them, but I let it go a long time ago. I would be offended if they were offering me unsolicited advice about what I should do with my hair, and so I keep my opinions to myself unless they ask.

I think some of us aren't thinking about how it feels to have people (even strangers!) telling us what to do with our hair all of the time when we express the desire to change someone else's hair. As long as the person in question is happy with their hair, why should what anyone else thinks be ANY kind of factor at all???

I have a term for people who complain to you about problems but then ignore all your advice only to complain to you about the same problem again in the future, like your solution had changed!

They are an "ask-hole"
:rollin:
THIS is the thing that makes me crazy! I've had acquaintances ask me for advice on growing long hair, only to have my advice rejected right away. :rant:

Agnes Hannah
March 10th, 2014, 09:24 AM
I don't bother myself with what people decide to do to their own hair. If they ask for advice, I give it to the best of my ability and it's their choice to take it or leave it. If they have beautiful hair and want to cut it, that's their decision and I'm not going to deem it a tragedy. Why let someone's decision about their hair affect me? I'm more worried about getting my own hair to top condition as it grows because I'm the one that'll be walking around with it on my head. :)

This this exactly how I feel ^^^

LongHairLesbian
March 10th, 2014, 03:28 PM
The trend tends to lean towards longer hair where I live, so the people I know that have awesome hair either have long hair, or are currently growing it out. But I can speak about people who don't like long hair on themselves or in general. Some people have this belief that hair is "dirty", so long hair is extra dirty because there's more of it, I guess? I think that's absolutely absurd. My hair isn't dragging on the ground, or falling in the toilet, or touching germ/grime covered surfaces, so how is it dirty?
I find that some people who don't like long hair on themselves find it to be too much work, or find that it doesn't grow nicely. In that case, I think this comes from some people not knowing how to properly care for longer hair. Some of these people don't use conditioner, never keep their hair tied back, or overuse/misuse heat or washing sessions or dye. I can sympathize with that, because I was only taught a very basic level of hair care, and had to learn most of the good tips on my own.

swearnsue
March 11th, 2014, 12:08 PM

They are an "ask-hole"

ROTFL! Perfect!!! You're so funny!!

cdonald2
March 11th, 2014, 12:36 PM
My mother had the cat fine hair that I got from her, but probably very straight (never had frizz or naughty hair with humidity) and extremely thin. My stupidly thick hair - English braid isn't possible until after APL - packs down tight, hers was worse. I've seen pictures - even well cared for shoulder length (comb from ends vs yank from roots, shampoo only once, always use at least a creme rinse, avoid heat) looks bad for her. She was stunning with a choppy, little punkish pixie. She looked amazing with no hair.

The blasted fine hair for me - SL is max. Past that, it's too fine and gets far too damaged.

Which is when I dislike long hair. If it looks a wreck, I don't want that on my head. I may think it's bad on another, but that's not my hair, so it's not my business.

I'm still around because I have children with long to extremely long hair. Including one with extremely curly and extremely long hair.

I agree, its strength over length for me. But i prefer personally long healthy locks over short healthy locks.

Really hoping that my super fine hair will look nice as it continues to grow. Thats a great fear of mine

cdonald2
March 11th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Meh, I don't care what other people do to their hair. :shrug: I have two sisters with opposite hair that I would love to see long; one abuses her thick, wavy, blonde hair to epic proportions, the other perms her fine, 1a, gorgeous chocolate brown hair and keeps it chin+ length. Both of them would have amazing long hair, and if they wanted to grow I would love to help them, but I let it go a long time ago. I would be offended if they were offering me unsolicited advice about what I should do with my hair, and so I keep my opinions to myself unless they ask.

I think some of us aren't thinking about how it feels to have people (even strangers!) telling us what to do with our hair all of the time when we express the desire to change someone else's hair. As long as the person in question is happy with their hair, why should what anyone else thinks be ANY kind of factor at all???

:rollin:
THIS is the thing that makes me crazy! I've had acquaintances ask me for advice on growing long hair, only to have my advice rejected right away. :rant:

I feel it lady! i try not to tell people what they should or shouldnt do unless they ask. and when they do im so excited for them to join in on the journey to having long locks. but OMG the damage i see to pretty hair makes em so sad. Its like throwing black ink on a Monet painting.

longishhair
March 11th, 2014, 12:41 PM
If you mispronounce ask as "ax", the term ask-hole gets a whole new meaning :spitting: :spitting: :spitting:

*imagines asker swinging an ax above a hole and not understanding why he isn't cutting anything*

veryhairyfairy
March 12th, 2014, 08:08 AM
I feel it lady! i try not to tell people what they should or shouldnt do unless they ask. and when they do im so excited for them to join in on the journey to having long locks. but OMG the damage i see to pretty hair makes em so sad. Its like throwing black ink on a Monet painting.

It's definitely tough to see uber damaged hair on someone you know, and it's really tough for me to keep my trap shut. I just look for a way to offer a little bit of advice from time to time. If they complain I take it as a sign that they are unhappy, and then I too get super excited to help them out. :lol:
I've never once had anyone take my advice, though, and I tend to give the least drastic/outlandish advice I can think of!

I have the same problem with my family asking for weight loss advice (which I would NEVER give unsolicited!); they complain about the way they look and feel, ask me for advice (because I've managed to lose a lot of weight and get in shape), and then immediately reject that advice out of hand, TO ME. I know weight is a touchy subject for many people, so I try not to take it personally, but it still feels very devaluing. Which is why when it's my family and friends, I've learned to just let myself not care. It's too much trouble to feel bad about their unhappiness and the way they completely disregard everything I say.
</tangent>

AmyBeth
March 12th, 2014, 11:33 AM
DD1 has very thick straight blonde hair that she ignored until it got just past TBL. She told me that she got compliments every day, but when her wedding approached, she got it trimmed to mid-back. She liked it so much that she trimmed it again, to APL. I was sad because it was so beautiful, I hated to see it go. DD2 has fabulous hair, thick and wavy and dark. But she loves to play with her hair. When I see her, I never know what to expect. Every time I see her, it's something different. Lots of different colors, bleach and then Manic Panic streaks, cuts. She uses a flat iron almost every day, and when her hair gets destroyed, she cuts it off and starts again. It's fun for her. I always wanted them to have long hair, but I never imposed that on them. From the time they could make their own preferences known, I pretty much let them do what they wanted with their hair. The only time I every put my foot down was DD2's decision to dye her hair black, make a platinum blonde streak right on top of her head and then spike the blonde streak up with gel on her first day of freshman in high school. The dye was one thing, but to spike it up- it really looked ridiculous. She thanks me now!

MaryO
March 14th, 2014, 01:11 AM
My mom has my personal dream hair (rather straight and quite thick) and she keeps cutting it shorter and shorter every time she goes to the hairdressers! Her and my dad are motorcyclists and she insists that short hair works better for the helmet but I think a ponytail would be better. ;-) I do think it's one battle that I'll just never be able to win and now I just try to be supportive...

followingup
March 14th, 2014, 02:48 AM
this was definately me a few years ago. i didn't want long hair at first but then after a few times trying to grow it out but failying miserably. i had to cut it shorter again because the ends were so damaged from heat and washing every day. and then i treated it like crap once more. when i finally did some research i found this site. And now i know how to handle hair correctly. So i think you really have to want (like really really really want) long healthy hair out of your own spur. that in my opinion is most important. Some people just like complaining about their hair, even though they don't want long hair. All you can do is offer some tipps but if they don't follow it's their choice.

AmberMuffinz
March 14th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Sometimes I miss my short hair immensely. It was so easy to take care of and deal with - I didn't do anything to it at all. I would just wake up and go. With long hair I can't do that. I'm one of those people who could dye, use heat, etc. and my hair never minded. It was always pretty healthy. Ever since I went no 'poo though it's been even easier to manage.

I guess I don't do much to my long hair either but I do have to at least finger comb it and I HAVE to put it in a ponytail for work, otherwise it just gets in the way and by the end of the day it's all ratty. Not to mention it's a lot more work to deal with in the shower. I get why people cut their long hair short due to the "chore" aspect of it. Not to mention after a while, at least for me, something different is always nice.

Zindell
March 15th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Sometimes I miss my short hair immensely. It was so easy to take care of and deal with - I didn't do anything to it at all. I would just wake up and go. With long hair I can't do that.

My hair is the total opposite. When it's short it looks like a bird nest when I wake up, hair sticking out in all kinds of weird directions so I have to wet it and style it before I can leave the house.

With longer hair, past APL... the weight does it I guess. I wake up and my hair is fine! No strands sticking out in weird directions. I usually brush it with a tangle teezer before leaving the house but it is really not necessary, so if I'm in a hurry I do nothing, and it looks quite okey. :)

MadeiraD
March 15th, 2014, 11:10 AM
I also have trouble with short hair, it always sticks up funny on me. Long hair is SO much easier for me to cope with

Rushli
March 15th, 2014, 03:22 PM
I enjoyed my short hair. I could dye it, perm it, straighten it and it might have been damaged, but it was not fried. I was happy as long as there was something new and different with my hair. I have wanted to grow it out in the past but I would get board and chop it. It was not until I had kids, and spent all my extra moments sleeping instead of doing my hair, that my hair accidentally grew to APL area. From there I decided not to cut it for a certain time frame to see how long I could get it. I always assumed I would cut it shortly after that from boredom, but since discovering so many updos and hair toys, I dont think it will get cut any time soon.

DS2 has blonde curly hair. When he was a baby there was one old lady at church who would always say, "such lovely hair; he should have been a girl." I was rather offended the first time, but after I got over it, I realized this old lady was not 100% there mentally, so what sounded rude, was just her way of complementing him. The second time she said I responded, "We are sure glad he is a boy though," and she agreed with me on the grounds that my wild 1 yo would have someone to wrestle with and a girl would just get her hair messed up. I am pretty sure I have heard her say the 'should have been a girl' line about 30 times. I just smile and move on now. --not that I am saying your old lady has the same excuse.

Ishje
March 15th, 2014, 03:34 PM
I do not like short hair, I do not think it looks nice on many people. Besides that there is trend in the Netherlands where at a certain age woman seem to need to cut their hair.
They end up with a few cm of hair left, and kinda stick it up with gel, and then they tell each other how wonderful and handy a "short head" like that is.
I absolutely do not like the look, but it is not my head, so if they are happy about it there is no problem.
It is not really my place to be bothered about it, but I do not think I will ever want my hair like that XD

So, my point is....There is people who don't like short hair, and there is people that don't like long hair. It is just how it is, as long as you like your own hair there is no problem. :)

MadeiraD
March 15th, 2014, 03:36 PM
DS2 has blonde curly hair. When he was a baby there was one old lady at church who would always say, "such lovely hair; he should have been a girl." I was rather offended the first time, but after I got over it, I realized this old lady was not 100% there mentally, so what sounded rude, was just her way of complementing him. The second time she said I responded, "We are sure glad he is a boy though," and she agreed with me on the grounds that my wild 1 yo would have someone to wrestle with and a girl would just get her hair messed up. I am pretty sure I have heard her say the 'should have been a girl' line about 30 times. I just smile and move on now. --not that I am saying your old lady has the same excuse.
I sort of feel like there's a big difference between saying that to a child with pretty hair, and to an adult man who's clearly intentionally grown his hair long, I guess

Rushli
March 15th, 2014, 11:50 PM
I sort of feel like there's a big difference between saying that to a child with pretty hair, and to an adult man who's clearly intentionally grown his hair long, I guess

He was only a couple months old with short (2-3") but clearly curly hair, so she was telling me my child was the wrong gender. IMO, it would have been worse telling a child to his face he should have been a girl! Can you imagine? I just hope that I raise him to be confident so that in the future if he gets comments like this or like your BF's, he will be able to shrug it off whether it be someone who does not know social boundaries anymore or someone who choices to ignore them.

EdG
March 16th, 2014, 08:43 AM
The title of this thread made me think "there's no accounting for taste". ;)
Ed