PDA

View Full Version : Hair Stick Breakage?

melomane
March 8th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Hey! So I just started using hair sticks a few days ago and have noticed my hair tends to break a lot more when putting the sticks in, and closer to the scalp. They're bamboo chopsticks shaved to a shorter length using a pencil sharpener, and I use a nail filer to sand the tips into a smoother point. I know that's not the most professional way to make them but they were only to practice with until I got something better. I haven't forced the sticks into my hair, but hairs get in the way and snap at the end of the stick. I have noticed this happens more in tighter updos like the french twist, so is there a looser bun that might hold? Any answers/feedback appreciated!

ichosethis
March 8th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Double check that the sticks are smooth. Try to find some looser buns that work for your hair length and be aware that I've found my sticks don't hold as well the day after I wash my hair (I wash at night). Also try twisting the stick slightly as you put it in the bun and maybe wiggle it around a bit to move hair strands out of the way.

kaydana
March 8th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Either sand the sticks properly (I don't mean use sandpaper, you just need something much finer than a nail file. Do you have a nail buffer? Those can work well), paint them with a few coats of nail polish to smooth them, practice with a couple of old ballpoint pens instead, or get some proper hairsticks. I'm the last person who'd discourage someone from making their own hair toys, but you do need to put enough effort in that the end result doesn't shred your hair.

Chromis
March 8th, 2014, 06:18 PM
I think you are on the right! Just need to work on the finishing. You might need to shave them down a little so the point is longer to help them slip through better, and as Kaydana mentions, you'll need to use sandpaper (even dollar stores have sandpaper if that would be closer/easier to you than a hardware store). After you have them really smooth with the sandpaper, try rubbing just a bit of wax into them. I like beeswax, not sure if paraffin will work. I just rub in a bit from a melted candle.

neko_kawaii
March 8th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Another thing you can do from easy to obtain materials is after you have sanded, rub it to a smooth polish with a smooth hard object like a bottle cap or the back of a spoon or a small round rock. If you can do the wax like Chromis suggests, polish after the wax.