PDA

View Full Version : Question about pregnancy hair

mamaherrera
March 8th, 2014, 03:59 PM
I have had the thing everyone raves about while being pregnant, virtually no-little shedding. Yeah, For about the last six months of the pregnancy, but I just wonder, why hasn't my ponytail circumference grown at all? don't you think it should thicken up, or would it be too little of a difference to make the measuring tape grow??? Just curious!

lapushka
March 8th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I have had the thing everyone raves about while being pregnant, virtually no-little shedding. Yeah, For about the last six months of the pregnancy, but I just wonder, why hasn't my ponytail circumference grown at all? don't you think it should thicken up, or would it be too little of a difference to make the measuring tape grow??? Just curious!

Because those hairs won't reach your ponytail yet in 6 months time. Easy answer!

mamaherrera
March 8th, 2014, 04:43 PM
That's what I've thought too, But everyone always says "ah you'll have thicker hair during pregnancy" what are they talking about???

~Abi~
March 8th, 2014, 05:50 PM
I don't think my hair is any thicker...and it hasn't been growing gangbusters either. I haven't noticed any difference in my hair from pre-pregnancy to now at all, actually. And it's been 8 months too...

HazelBug
March 8th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Mine definatly got thicker when I was pregnant last time. But then I had the dreaded postpartum shed and it got thinner than before I started. Fortunatly my hair was very thick to begin with (was definatly a iii.) Now my ponytail is on the larger end of ii. The wonderful thing I've noticed is how fast my hair grows while pregnant. I normally get about .75 inches a month. But I got that in about 17 days. I'm probably going to get between 1 and 1.5 inches of growth a month at that rate. But I so dread the shed! It happened at about 4 months postpartum last time. I hope it isn't as bad this time around!

mamaherrera
March 8th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Like I say, I have less shed, but no gain in thickness, but I'm not gonna complain, this is nice!

Ambystoma
March 8th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Any gains in thickness are probably far more noticeable for people with shorter hair, I think, since it's because you don't really shed rather than grow extra hair, so shorter haired women would have a bunch of newer baby hairs catching up to the rest of their hemline without it just being a replacement for the natural attrition caused by shedding longer, older hairs and hence seeming like there's more overall.

My ponytail feels thicker at the base now than 9 months ago, but mine also grows pretty fast and I had a shed about a year or so ago, so there's all that hair growing back too.

What's been really interesting about pregnancy hair for me is the colour change - it seems like a reasonably common thing as far as I can tell to go a little darker, and mine definitely has by around 1 level. I wonder if anyone else here got a new colour as a baby present? :laugh:

mamaherrera
March 8th, 2014, 09:51 PM
I too had a shed a year ago, so i really thought I'd see a difference, but then again, during the whole shed, it never got thinner (the ponytail) so I must have been replacing those hairs at the same rate I was shedding (it was like 200+ daily) but it's just maintained throughout sheds, no sheds, whatever, which I shouldn't complain. I haven't noticed a difference in color either.

~Abi~
March 13th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Any gains in thickness are probably far more noticeable for people with shorter hair, I think, since it's because you don't really shed rather than grow extra hair, so shorter haired women would have a bunch of newer baby hairs catching up to the rest of their hemline without it just being a replacement for the natural attrition caused by shedding longer, older hairs and hence seeming like there's more overall.

My ponytail feels thicker at the base now than 9 months ago, but mine also grows pretty fast and I had a shed about a year or so ago, so there's all that hair growing back too.

What's been really interesting about pregnancy hair for me is the colour change - it seems like a reasonably common thing as far as I can tell to go a little darker, and mine definitely has by around 1 level. I wonder if anyone else here got a new colour as a baby present? :laugh:

I swear mine turned into a rather mousy brown at first...and the weirdest thing was blonde streaks showing up on my front hairline...nowhere else. I noticed them about 6 months into my pregnancy. But after I hennaed...it seems my roots are much much darker than they were 8 months ago....I can't say for certain though.

heidi w.
March 13th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Don't worry; around 3 mos after the birth, you'll shed a lot of hair to get back to where you were prior to pregnancy. Prepare the shower drain. And oh! your haircolor might change too. It's possible.
heidi w.