PDA

View Full Version : Layers ggrrrrr

Bubbjo5
March 8th, 2014, 02:30 PM
I asked for layers last time I got my hair cut which was in December but the hairdresser cut the layers way to short and now my hair is all uneven at the back and all I want is a blunt hemline but don't want to cut the length. am thinking of growing another inch then getting a small trim. anyone else regret layers and why do hairdressers feel the need to cut too much off long hair. never again! wish I could find a hairdresser who will listen.

MeowScat
March 8th, 2014, 02:58 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you. That's happened to me many times. Growing out layers takes a ton of patience, I've done it so many times, I've lost track. Just leave it alone for a while, I know it's tempting to cut the longest ones off right away. Put your hair up and forget about it. Doing little trims off the longest layer is a good idea, but wait a while. Try to enjoy the layers while you have them, knowing they'll be gone one day.

I feel your pain, it can be so frustrating trying to find a hairdresser that isn't scissor-happy. Buy yourself a good, sharp pair of hair shears and micro trim it yourself. I've been pushing off my micro trims to one a year or sometimes longer. What a difference it's made in my length.

I wish we could buy a bottle of patience.

ErinLeigh
March 8th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Fell your pain. I have no issue with layers. Love them actually.
What I hate us a stylist who cannot master proper layering. Choppy. Unblended. Uneven. Too severe. Too flipped.
You never know what you are going to get when you ask for layers. I regret it every time and it sucks because I want some layers. I just want light blended ones. Why is that so hard to do?

fairview
March 8th, 2014, 03:57 PM
wish I could find a hairdresser who will listen.

Live in the north Texas area (Dallas) pm me. I've never had a redo for cutting off too much length but I've been happy to do a few 'do-overs' to take off a little more length the second time around. Better to cut twice then regret the one time. When you were asked how much of a trim you wanted you were sitting in the stylists chair and then when you stood up, looked at the length, you had the typical, 'Holy Crap what did you do to my hair reaction.'

As far as layers go, I can think of many different types. You have invisible layers that reside in the interior, and then the traditional few classic long layers, long layers, short layers, blended layers, square, round or triangular layers, using a combination of the previous 3 in the same cut and I am too tired from cutting and coloring hair to want to think of any more. During the consult you obviously talked about your desires but talking is far from communicating. All is not lost, a skilled cutter can use several techniques to blend the existing layers but remember we were never taught how to cut hair without making it shorter. Anytime a guest request that I trim their hair but not make it shorter I thank them for giving me the opportunity to satisfy their needs but they would probably be more satisfied with another stylist, any stylist but me. It will grow back but don't go back to where you went.

Bubbjo5
March 9th, 2014, 09:45 AM
thanks for the replies girls. I think I will just put it up for a while thanks Meow. your hair is lovely by the way. I think it just takes patience and don't think I wil ever get layers again once I get to a blunt hemline. how do you micro trim?? never done it before

spidermom
March 9th, 2014, 11:50 AM
My stylist is very good with layers. I'm very happy with mine.

I think I must be a good communicator because in all my 60 years, I've only gotten one phenomenally bad haircut where what I walked out with was not at all what I had in mind. I've also had stylists trim off a bit more than I was thinking, but I'm not very picky about that. I'm talking about 2 inches gone when I wanted 1, but the difference is only 2 months give/take the time of year, so meh. I've never asked for a 1-inch trim and walked out with a chin-length bob. I honestly can't imagine that happening unless I were to pass out in the chair. Don't people pay attention to what the stylist is doing?

UltraBella
March 9th, 2014, 12:12 PM
My hairdresser is a layers magician. She does an incredible job and I always love them. A bad layer job can be incredibly frustrating and I've had one absolutely awful layered haircut in my past, but otherwise I've been pleased.

ositarosita
March 9th, 2014, 12:38 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47351

a place to complain about growing out layers

jacqueline101
March 9th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I feel your pain. I just grew my last bit of layers out last year. I went in for a trim and got my v blunt cut and unwanted layers. If that wasn't bad enough I ended up getting damage break off. All the bad stuff is over with for us. We have to grow out into the future.

queenovnight
March 9th, 2014, 12:49 PM
I also feel your pain! I cannot stand my layers. I've been growing them out since.. forever. The back of my hair is almost layer free, but the front is a different story -.- Once my front layers have grown out, I will NEVER get them again.

Mythago
March 9th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I am also growing out layers and know it's frustrating. I had an angled bob and have finally gotten the longest layer to shoulder, but the shorter one is only just past chin. My saving grace is just putting it up and forgetting about it until I can slowly take the layers off. I figure it will probably take about a year, but time goes so fast!