PDA

View Full Version : is silk satin pillowcase really helpful for hair?

aly.
March 8th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Hello girls, I am new on this forum I registered because I have a small problem and I need your opinion.
I have long curly hair, and in the morning when I wake up is very tangled. Not always, but most of the time it is. A friend of mine insists that a silk pillowcase is very helpful. I researched the web about it and people are promoting these satin and silk pillowcases with magic benefits for your hair. Is anyone here using them? What do you recommend me, silk or satin? And is there any good brand or shop from where I can buy one?

Thank you all
xoxo Aly

Rio040113
March 8th, 2014, 08:00 AM
A lot of members here use a silk or satin pillow case/silk or satin sleep cap. Personally I use a sleep cap (satin currently, hoping to get a silk one soon). I'm sure someone will come along who can clarify the pros/cons of silk vs satin and their differences, from what I understand silk is a material, while satin is a weave... and that's where my knowledge ends on the matter :lol: I find my sleep cap does eliminate 99% of my tangles and keeps my hair soft, it's amazing how dry my hair feels if I sleep on my cotton pillow case without my cap on! Another way to reduce tangling is by confining your hair in a bun or a braid while you sleep, I find a braid most comfortable to rest my head on but YMMV. Ebay and Amazon do cheap satin caps and will do both satin and silk pillow cases, however etsy is probably the best place for silk caps, as far as actual brick and mortar stores I'm not sure. HTH :)

queenovnight
March 8th, 2014, 08:15 AM
I'm a fellow curly girl, and I also use a satin pillowcase. I think it helps with breakage and shine but I don't think it's the magic key to beautiful non-tangled hair Lol. My hair still gets tangled from time to time. I think a satin cap or scarf would work way better on curly hair though.

Madora
March 8th, 2014, 08:15 AM
As Rio040113 said, many LHCers use silk or satin pillowcases. Whatever you decide upon, be sure to make efforts to confine your hair somehow (braiding, etc) so that you reduce the possibilities of tangles. Just using the silk/satin pillowcase is not enough..protection wise, especially for a curly.

DweamGoiL
March 8th, 2014, 08:21 AM
I am by no means an expert, but having tried both pillow cases and sleep caps, I opted for sleep caps and here's why:

- Silk is very easy to stain and hard to clean and much more expensive than satin, but the quality of silk is usually better and is a more breathable fabric
- Satin cost less money, but was very slippery in practice so my head would constantly slip off the pillowcase or I would wake up with a stiff neck. In the Spring and Summer, unless you have the AC on, you wake up anywhere between moist and sweaty. Unless you don't sweat a lot and move minimally, I don't recommend these pillow cases. Good thing is satin is easy to wash and find.

- Satin sleep caps were much better than the pillow cases. I had one handmade from an online vendor. The quality was very good and it had 2 ribbons that tied together, which made the cap secure to the head. A week or so after using it, I couldn't stand it. My head would be sweaty every morning. It was just too much of a good thing.
- Cheap satin/chiffon sleep cap from Sally's. This is the best cap I have found. It has chiffon at the top, which allows air to come into the cap. They are easy to find locally and have a ring up top to adjust the cap in case I need more room if I were to wear curlers, etc. This is the one I usually buy:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/sleep-cap/SBS-261629,es,pd.html?cm_vc=CROSSSELL

Remi
March 8th, 2014, 08:44 AM
I think braiding it and wearing a silk cap would help the most.

Chromis
March 8th, 2014, 09:00 AM
For tangle prevention, the number one thing that has helped me is braiding at night! I do also have silky pillowcases. Just cheap ones, nothing advertising any magical haircare properties. I find they leave all those little baby hairs on the scalp better condition so I get a bit less frizz.

The difference between braiding at night versus sleeping with it loose was night and day though. I haven't slept with my hair loose in years now because I hate tangles so much and it is such a dramatic reduction! (My hair was much shorter when I first came here and I'm not sure I would have grown it to this length before.)

meteor
March 8th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Hello girls, I am new on this forum I registered because I have a small problem and I need your opinion.
I have long curly hair, and in the morning when I wake up is very tangled. Not always, but most of the time it is. A friend of mine insists that a silk pillowcase is very helpful. I researched the web about it and people are promoting these satin and silk pillowcases with magic benefits for your hair. Is anyone here using them? What do you recommend me, silk or satin? And is there any good brand or shop from where I can buy one?
Welcome to the LHC, Aly! :)
I agree with your friend's recommendation. Everybody can benefit from a smooth pillowcase or sleep cap, but particularly those with long, curly and tangle-prone hair.

Silk is a type of material, while satin is a type of weave. You will get the best benefits from silk satin (a.k.a. charmeuse). Many people get the best benefits from using both a silk satin pillowcase and a silk satin sleep bonnet. I don't necessarily recommend dropping major $$$ buying charmeuse pillowcases. And by the way, oversized charmeuse caps for long hair are harder to come by and more expensive. You can instead simply buy a silk shirt or scarf and make a pillowcase or cap out of it or simply wrap it around your pillow or your hair.
There are many websites that can show you how to easily make a pillowcase out of a shirt, just google it. If you like the effect of silk on your hair, you can later invest in a pillowcase or cap. The reason I suggest this cautious approach is because not everybody likes the feel of sleeping on silk (sliding can occur and silk is not as absorbent as cotton), so some ladies return to good old cotton.

meteor
March 8th, 2014, 09:19 AM
For tangle prevention, the number one thing that has helped me is braiding at night! I do also have silky pillowcases. Just cheap ones, nothing advertising any magical haircare properties. I find they leave all those little baby hairs on the scalp better condition so I get a bit less frizz.

The difference between braiding at night versus sleeping with it loose was night and day though. I haven't slept with my hair loose in years now because I hate tangles so much and it is such a dramatic reduction! (My hair was much shorter when I first came here and I'm not sure I would have grown it to this length before.)
I agree with this! I only started wearing a silk pillowcase recently, and while it helps with moisture retention, it's not as important in tangle prevention as braiding it at night. Silk is nice and useful, but keeping hair contained is just necessary for me, otherwise I'd wake up with matted hair.

Fairlight63
March 8th, 2014, 09:20 AM
I think that a sleep cap is the best. I use a silk cap from Maverickwear.com. I found that even sleeping on a silk pillowcase with my hair in a braid the nape of my neck would still get tangled.

sumidha
March 8th, 2014, 11:54 AM
I was skeptical of the whole sleeping on silk thing for a long time (silly stubborn me), but recently I've been tying a silk scarf over my pillow, and I've definitely noticed a difference. My hair is less rough in the morning, and more moisturized than after sleeping on cotton.

Agnes Hannah
March 8th, 2014, 01:23 PM
I use a silk sleep cap, I made it myself. I also have a silk pillowcase. They are lovely, I couldn't be without them now. Hubby moans but hey ho!My hair loves them, it is very fine and flyaway so needs all the help I can give it to grow.

cathair
March 8th, 2014, 01:53 PM
*snip* You will get the best benefits from silk satin (a.k.a. charmeuse). Many people get the best benefits from using both a silk satin pillowcase and a silk satin sleep bonnet. *snip*

That is a very good point, I bought some sari silk to make sleep things from and it is very rough, it wouldn't work well at all.

I've got a satin sleep cap and a satin pillow case, that is synthetic, I forgot which type of synthetic fabric. They are fine in winter, but as DweamGoiL says they are sweaty in the summer. I am not looking forward to having to work something else out for the summer.

I don't find the ends of my hair 100% tangle free in the morning, but certainly much better than if I didn't have the pillow case and sleeping cap. The pillow case alone helps, but I would still find myself sleeping on my hair if I didn't have the cap which I think is one of the worst things to do to it really.

I might try braiding mine again at night, I was avoiding it because my ends hate hair ties, but it wouldn't need to be tied or braided tightly inside a cap I guess.

meteor
March 8th, 2014, 03:24 PM
I might try braiding mine again at night, I was avoiding it because my ends hate hair ties, but it wouldn't need to be tied or braided tightly inside a cap I guess.
Have you tried a silk ribbon / silk narrow scarf to tie off the braid tassel? I do that and I think it's a lot less damaging than an elastic. The only problem is I can't get it to stay tightly on even when I weave it in like a paranda, and it often comes off, but as you said, it doesn't really need to be tied very tightly inside a cap.

cathair
March 9th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Have you tried a silk ribbon / silk narrow scarf to tie off the braid tassel? I do that and I think it's a lot less damaging than an elastic. The only problem is I can't get it to stay tightly on even when I weave it in like a paranda, and it often comes off, but as you said, it doesn't really need to be tied very tightly inside a cap.

I haven't but I have been meaning to try plaiting in a ribbon, it seems a bit effortful (because I am not brilliant a plaiting). A silk ribbon or scarf to tie of the end sounds easier, I hadn't thought of doing that. The only silk scarf I have is huge, I will try and look out for something small so I can try that, it seems like a good idea thanks :)

meteor
March 9th, 2014, 01:03 PM
I haven't but I have been meaning to try plaiting in a ribbon, it seems a bit effortful (because I am not brilliant a plaiting). A silk ribbon or scarf to tie of the end sounds easier, I hadn't thought of doing that. The only silk scarf I have is huge, I will try and look out for something small so I can try that, it seems like a good idea thanks :)
If you don't toss too much in your sleep, using a ribbon at the very end might work fine. But I find the ribbon holds better overnight if I weave it in like this lady does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFiRyDlAnCY
Basically, you fold the ribbon in two, one end joins one section of your hair, the other the second section of your hair, and you braid with the ribbon, as if the ribbon was part of your hair. I hope it helps. But let me know if you have any questions so I can explain better.

molljo
March 9th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Satin cost less money, but was very slippery in practice so my head would constantly slip off the pillowcase or I would wake up with a stiff neck.

This, absolutely. I've been *trying* to sleep on a satin pillowcase, but my head simply won't stay on the pillow during the night. I've never had so much neck pain and my hair is a rat's nest in the morning. A sleep cap is #1 on my shopping list.

cdonald2
March 9th, 2014, 01:37 PM
i dont have a pillowcase, i use a bonnet. and its amazing. walmart has them for less than a buck in the ethnic care isle

Misschilly
March 9th, 2014, 02:09 PM
I use both a silk pillow case and a silk sleep bonnet, whatäs good about real silk is that you donät get sweaty!=)

cathair
March 9th, 2014, 07:55 PM
If you don't toss too much in your sleep, using a ribbon at the very end might work fine. But I find the ribbon holds better overnight if I weave it in like this lady does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFiRyDlAnCY
Basically, you fold the ribbon in two, one end joins one section of your hair, the other the second section of your hair, and you braid with the ribbon, as if the ribbon was part of your hair. I hope it helps. But let me know if you have any questions so I can explain better.

Thanks very much for the description and video link, that was very helpful. I have managed to make a braid with an old ribbon tying it off at the end that way. Albeit not a very pretty braid :D I'll keep practicing. Going to sleep soon so will see how it goes and let you know :)

meteor
March 9th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Thanks very much for the description and video link, that was very helpful. I have managed to make a braid with an old ribbon tying it off at the end that way. Albeit not a very pretty braid :D I'll keep practicing. Going to sleep soon so will see how it goes and let you know :)
Great! :) I really hope it works for you! :) But I should warn you that silk can't hold as strongly as an elastic, but it is a lot gentler.

cathair
March 9th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Great! :) I really hope it works for you! :) But I should warn you that silk can't hold as strongly as an elastic, but it is a lot gentler.

I think it's probably some sort of polyester ribbon, it's used to be a loop in a piece of clothing to hang it up. If it works out I'll try and get some silk ribbon, this stuff isn't as quite as smooth as some ribbons. It seems reasonably secure, I am curious to see how it goes. Even hair ties made out of stockings seemed to cause a plethora of splits, it would be great if this doesn't. [don't worry won't hold you responsible if split city! I am getting pretty quick at chopping them off]. Thanks again :)

aly.
March 10th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Thank you all for all your useful information! I will take in consideration everything you said. I think the next days I will go shopping and try out before buying. Only after I will compare some products I think I will be able to know which one is the best :)
My boyfriend is reading now what you all said and he doesn't really like the idea of a sleeping cap. Should I send him to sleep on the couch?? Ha ha, I'm mean :P

Thaaank you again! :)

jupiterinleo
March 10th, 2014, 05:33 PM
My silk pillowcases have made a huge difference for me, honestly. I would wake up with the short little broken hairs all over my cotton pillow, and that no longer happens at all.

I sleep with loose hair hanging above my head. Braiding just never worked for me, even with the pillowcase. Every night I'd end up on top of my braid and would yank me awake when I turned over and I'd wake up with a heavily frayed braid. :( I tried wearing buns on top of my head and that didn't work out either; they'd always fall out.

Edit: I have two of these silk pillowcases (http://www.dharmatrading.com/clothing/silk-charmeuse-pillowcase.html). Two cost me like $30 and they're holding up well! Totally worth it, as I am a sweaty sleeper.

cathair
March 10th, 2014, 06:09 PM
The ribbon stayed on the end of plait all night and all day too! So it seems to be a success so far. I started plaiting it in about 4 or 5 cross overs from the bottom and tied it off in a double knot and only one loop of the bow came loose. Just have to keep an eye out for split ends, seems okay so far, will see how it is after a few days. Will also be interested to see how much less tangly it is after a wash day. It's coming up to a wash day for me and it is always more tangly when it needs washing.

Is strange seeing my hair braided, I am sure the tassel is much curlier than last time I tried it, it just about makes ringlets. 3 separate ones because the the ribbon spaces the sections out.

JellyBene
April 1st, 2014, 08:08 PM
I would agree they are helpful. When I used to have long hair (sad face) it would get all matted in the back if I slept on a cotton pillow case but would stay fairly nice with a satin pillowcase.

Aderyn
April 1st, 2014, 09:08 PM
Personally, I don't notice much a difference in regards to tangles when using a silk or satin pillowcase versus a standard cotton one. What has helped tremendously with tangles is braiding my hair and/or putting it up for the night.

If I wear my hair up/in a braid and use a satin/silk pillowcase, there is definitely less poofiness and frizziness around the roots and top few inches of hair and less fraying of the braid than a cotton pillowcase. I would be fine going out in public with one of my sleep braids when sleeping on a silk/satin pillowcase, but not so with a cotton one. Not enough for me to warrant sleeping on a satin/silk pillowcase as mandatory, but nice nonetheless. Though, after reading comments about the breakage from a cotton pillowcase, I might be more likely to not sleep on the cotton pillowcase now.

If I wear my hair down when I sleep, a satin/silk pillowcase makes very little, if any, difference. Then again, I also toss and turn quite a bit so my hair is a complete and utter mess in the morning if left loose regardless of what I'm sleeping on.

LunaLuvsU
April 1st, 2014, 09:52 PM
I will vouch for silk til the day im dust! lol I use a silk wrap and my hair LOVES it. It softer, I wake up with a lot less tangles, its more shiny, and over all more manageable. Silk has proteins in it which is why is makes (most) hair and skin happy. Im working on getting a basic silk bed set (1 standard pillow, flat sheet, fitted sheet, and blanket). I strongly recommend you give it a try.