PDA

View Full Version : "Mommy" Hairstyles

Laurenji
March 7th, 2014, 08:04 PM
I need some hairstyle advice.

I am now the mother of a small child (5 months), which means that I don't really have time to do my hair ever. DS wakes me up in the morning, and isn't content to sit by himself for more than 10 minutes or so, which means I don't have that much time to do my hair in the morning. I've always hated wearing my hair down, since I hate it falling into things, and having it up is even more of a priority now so that it doesn't fall into poopy diapers, he can't grab it, etc.

However, my hair is really thick, and about BSL with some shorter layers. I can barely get it into a kind of spiky cinnabun. My current rotation of styles is a ponytail, a cinnabun, and a single french/dutch braid, since those are simple, fast, and fairly "sturdy" hairstyles.

What are some other hairstyles you could recommend for someone with thick, straight hair? Requirements are:

Fast (under 10 minutes styling time)
Sturdy (don't fall out easily, even with straight, slippery hair)
Hide greasy roots
Works with thick, BSL straight hair

Any ideas? I'm getting really bored with my hair, and I'm worried I'll want to cut it if I can't find some more things to do with my hair.

Vanilla
March 7th, 2014, 08:24 PM
You might be able to manage a Gibson tuck with your current length. Have you tried a peacock twist/ French twist?

walterSCAN
March 7th, 2014, 08:27 PM
I'm not a lot of help-- for the first 10-11 months of the Booger's life my hair was in a bunned english braid pretty much 24/7. Not sure if you can bun your braids with thick BSL hair, but I found that to be a pretty convenient, out of the way style. (I got to take mine down to wash it, but that was it. It's gotten a little easier lately, he's ~13 months now.)

Heh, so yeah, mostly I'm just posting to commiserate and say congratulations on being a new mommy! :flower:

Aderyn
March 7th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Just a tip for trying to do buns with thicker hair - try to leave a section of hair out of the bun and then wrap it around the base after the bun has been made. You could even braid that section and then wrap it around to give it a more polished look. I've been able to get away with doing a lot of buns, like a nautilus, LWB or hypno at shorter lengths with that. Definitely quick and easy.

For holding the bun in place, flexi-8s and ficcares would be a good bet as they can't be yanked out of your hair as easily (will be immensely helpful when your little one can't keep their hands to themselves), forks/sticks are good as well.

neko_kawaii
March 7th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Takes more time, but will help distribute your thickness: interlaced braids (Here is Torrin's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zA37CREatY), there are others.)

Disc buns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5sSEBy7HQ) are supposed to be good for thick hair, not sure if yours is long enough, but worth a try.

When my son was little I kept my hair covered with a bandana. Hid the greasies and kept everything out of reach.

Laurenji
March 7th, 2014, 09:31 PM
You might be able to manage a Gibson tuck with your current length. Have you tried a peacock twist/ French twist?

Mmmm, I can usually only do gibson tucks until about APL, then my hair starts trying to stick out every which way. Also they itch the back of my neck. But I do love them, they are very pretty! I tried to do a French Twist the other day, but some of my shorter layers kept falling out. That is a very good, solid style, though, especially since I have a couple sturdy French twist combs. It's how I wore my hair when I got married, actually. :) I'll have to keep trying as my face-framing layers get a little longer.

I'm not a lot of help-- for the first 10-11 months of the Booger's life my hair was in a bunned english braid pretty much 24/7. Not sure if you can bun your braids with thick BSL hair, but I found that to be a pretty convenient, out of the way style. (I got to take mine down to wash it, but that was it. It's gotten a little easier lately, he's ~13 months now.)

Heh, so yeah, mostly I'm just posting to commiserate and say congratulations on being a new mommy! :flower:

Thanks! My hair is definitely not long enough to braid and bun - that doesn't start happening until about waist for me, but this also sounds like a good idea. And yeah, being a mommy doesn't really leave a lot of time for doing hair things.

Just a tip for trying to do buns with thicker hair - try to leave a section of hair out of the bun and then wrap it around the base after the bun has been made. You could even braid that section and then wrap it around to give it a more polished look. I've been able to get away with doing a lot of buns, like a nautilus, LWB or hypno at shorter lengths with that. Definitely quick and easy.

For holding the bun in place, flexi-8s and ficcares would be a good bet as they can't be yanked out of your hair as easily (will be immensely helpful when your little one can't keep their hands to themselves), forks/sticks are good as well.

Ooooo, I will have to try that - such a simple solution, but one I'd never have thought of. And maybe I can use this as an excuse to finally get a flexi-8. I've been wanting one since I joined! They look so pretty and secure.

Takes more time, but will help distribute your thickness: interlaced braids (Here is Torrin's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zA37CREatY), there are others.)

Disc buns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5sSEBy7HQ) are supposed to be good for thick hair, not sure if yours is long enough, but worth a try.

When my son was little I kept my hair covered with a bandana. Hid the greasies and kept everything out of reach.

OOOOOOO! I am in love with that interlaced braids style, even though I am absolutely certain my hair isn't long enough for that yet. But it looks so comfy! I think I would do that all the time if my hair was longer. I'm not sure my hair is long enough for the disc bun either either, but it looks like a pretty great bun. Almost like you're making a flexi-8 out of your hair.

I have a sneaking suspicion my DH would laugh at me if I wore a bandana. For some reason I don't think they're quite his style. (Plus I think my office would frown on them). I may have to get one for summer though. I can use the excuse that my part will burn, and I can get a nice silky one or something so it doesn't look too bad.

Scarlet_Heart
March 8th, 2014, 03:38 AM
French braids are my go-to when I really need my hair out of the way and secure. Do a french braid (if you don't know how to do one on yourself, it will take practice, but I can do one in probably 2-3 minutes now). Then if it's long enough, wrap the tail into a bun and secure with whatever you like best. Sticks, fork, spin pins, whatever. If it's not long enough for that, coil and tuck the length under like this.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/eelaynuh/971498_10104642131717714_536960897_n_zpsb07c7f21.j pg (http://s62.photobucket.com/user/eelaynuh/media/971498_10104642131717714_536960897_n_zpsb07c7f21.j pg.html)

And again, use whatever you want to secure it. It won't budge all day.

Anje
March 8th, 2014, 06:19 AM
If a single bun isn't good, two buns will often work. How you position them (one above the other, low, high like teddy bear ears, Leia-like) can be varied considerably to what suits you, too. Otherwise, the suggestion to bun half your hair, then wrap the other half around that is a good one.

bunzfan
March 8th, 2014, 06:21 AM
I Started growing mine when my youngest was about 1 i found a braid the quickest to do that way they cant pull any sticks, french braid can be done in under ten minutes.

ooglipoo
March 8th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Twin braids were my go to, and you can toss them up into milkmaids, if you like.

You may be able to get a nice flipped cinnabun, and it can kind of help to tuck in your spiky ends some...

I also did a high knot bun with the ends flipping out like a little pony tail.

Laurenji
March 12th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Mmm, thanks for the tip off about the disc bun. I tried it yesterday and it's fantastically comfy, even if I did still have to use a couple bobby pins to keep all my layers from sticking out strangely.

French braids are definitely my workhorse hairstyle right now, but sometimes I get a little bored of them, you know?

I'll have to play around with the two bun thing some more.

MaryO
March 14th, 2014, 01:08 AM
I'm not sure whether it's a style that is supported by the LHC but I twist my hair into a high bun when wet after washing and fasten with spin pins. Although I had (off of cones now) very slippery hair it stayed there because it dries that way- eventually! Takes a couple of seconds and you don't have to think about it again. Good luck!