PDA

View Full Version : Overnight oiling + silk pillowcase

two_wheels
March 7th, 2014, 04:09 PM
I love overnight coconut oil... And just got a silk pillowcase. How do you guys do overnight oilings without making the pillowcase all oily?

Sleeping on a towel tonight while I await your solutions :)

Weewah
March 7th, 2014, 04:33 PM
I just do it and don't care about the pillowcase. I don't really notice the pillowcase getting oily.:shrug:

I oil the ends and put my hair up, so the oily parts are all up in a bun, and it's not like completely dripping in oil, just kinda shiny/greasy.

sarahthegemini
March 7th, 2014, 04:38 PM
When I did oiling I never really noticed residue on the pillowcase either, but if you're worried you could bun your hair and try and fit a sock over the bun. Maybe?

duchess67
March 7th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Even though I wear a sleep cap after oiling, I do notice a bit of an oil stain on the pillow case as well as the pillow, which is inevitable. I wash those often to get those oil stains out. But I think I might have to get a new pillow and pillow case soon.

GoddesJourney
March 7th, 2014, 06:59 PM
I oil very lightly on my skin and hair. My silk pillowcases are black so they definitely show the oil. Black silk is never jet black because it's kind of shiny. Anyway, I don't worry about it. If it gets too bad I just wash it and whatever. I'll make knew ones if they get destroyed.

Larki
March 7th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Even though I wear a sleep cap after oiling, I do notice a bit of an oil stain on the pillow case as well as the pillow, which is inevitable. I wash those often to get those oil stains out. But I think I might have to get a new pillow and pillow case soon.

Would it help to double up and wear two sleep caps?

ravenheather
March 7th, 2014, 07:23 PM
I wear a sleep cap when oiled.

midbackorbust
March 7th, 2014, 07:27 PM
I just wear a shower cap.

ErinLeigh
March 7th, 2014, 07:33 PM
I only use satin so far. My oil doesn't not seem to transfer enough for it it to be an issue. Unless I become a sweaty Betty that night. Then it can leave a little reside once in a while. I wash it right out. I guess silk is different? How does one wash a silk case?

If I think my oiling is too much I add my sleep cap to the mix. But I very rarely find issues for which I am thankful.

meteor
March 7th, 2014, 08:31 PM
The oil does transfer to silk/satin, and the more you oil or the longer you've been using the same pillowcase or cap, the more staining you'll notice.

I just let it be and wash as normal. The pillowcase may not look as good as new, but it's still clean if you wash it often.

GoddesJourney
March 7th, 2014, 10:12 PM
..How does one wash a silk case?...

Like anything else I think might be delicate, I throw it in a lingerie bag and wash as usual. :) I air dry and drier fluff or (I hate ironing) iron lightly.

About oil stains. I had a faded black shirt once that got an olive oil stain. (You like how I just made that sound like the shirt was responsible, not me? ;) ) I didn't want to throw it away because it was my favorite shirt, so I stained the whole thing with oil and washed as usual. Turned out great since it was all one color and even reversed some of the fading! :D

two_wheels
March 8th, 2014, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll just relax and wash it more often... And also blame the pillowcase rather than myself, excellent GoddesJourney :D

ichosethis
March 8th, 2014, 05:43 AM
If it really bothers you, mix some dawn dish detergent in a spray bottle with water, spritz the pillowcase before you wash it, rub gently, and it should take out the oil. For a silk pillowcase you might want to do a light mixture or do some research to make sure it works on silk, I've done it on several other fabrics without any problems but I don't have anything silk to test it on.

Raventresses
March 8th, 2014, 06:28 AM
If you put your hair up in a bun or a braid it should be fine. Or maybe wrap a bandana around it?

jeanniet
March 8th, 2014, 10:29 AM
How does one wash a silk case?

The label on mine says dry clean/hand wash. I throw them in the washer and dryer. I used to put them in a lingerie bag, but now don't even bother with that. They come out wrinkle-free and are holding up perfectly. I think I've had them about three years now. I run my silk bonnets through the washer and dryer, too.

jupiterinleo
March 8th, 2014, 11:38 AM
The label on mine says dry clean/hand wash. I throw them in the washer and dryer. I used to put them in a lingerie bag, but now don't even bother with that. They come out wrinkle-free and are holding up perfectly. I think I've had them about three years now. I run my silk bonnets through the washer and dryer, too.

Do you put them on a light cycle or do you throw them in with everything else? Just curious.

Agnes Hannah
March 8th, 2014, 12:59 PM
I regularly oil my ends before putting on my silk sleep cap. I wash it in shampoo!! dries in no time as the silk is really fine.