PDA

View Full Version : help me stop touching my hair!

sarahthegemini
March 7th, 2014, 12:11 PM
I need tips to try and break the habit. I constantly touch it 1) out of habit and 2) to reassure myself that it still feels okay :-/ Less touching would solve the issue of hair getting prematurely greasy (can currently just about last 4 days before the length gets piece-y) I think the main issue is that I nearly always have my hair down as I don't like updos on my self, plus I am so incapable of anything related to styling. Seriously even a cinnabun doesn't work (my hair coils into a cone shape)
Any help? TIA!

eta: On a related note, are BB brushes good with fine hair? Any fine hairs use them regularly without causing greasiness?

DweamGoiL
March 7th, 2014, 12:30 PM
When I first grew out my hair to TBL forever ago; I purchased an MP and began using it every day since everyone preached that was you must do at the time. My hair was a super greasy mess for a while and then it stopped being so...same deal as when you are trying to stretch out washes or begin CO washing. This time around, I find I am getting pretty much the same results with less mechanical damage. As gentle as a BBB is, on fine hair it is quite abrassive so I think the key here is moderation. Now, I use it on the 3 day after wash day so basically, the evening before I wash. I wash between 1-2 times a week. Anything more, and I am a super nasty greaseball.

two_wheels
March 7th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Cinnabuns are hard at APL! (In my opinion.) If you can't do French braids, you could learn- more forgiving profile than the scraped-back look. Torrin Paige's YouTube demos are great :)

Magalo
March 7th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Eh, I would say wear it up. It's something that come with long hair. I always play with my hair when it's down, wearing it up solves all my problems.

Aderyn
March 7th, 2014, 04:13 PM
I'd say try to wear it up. There are definitely simple styles out there, you just may need a bit of practice. Since you aren't used to wearing your hair up, you will probably feel awkward but I think if you challenge yourself to wear your hair up for, say, a couple weeks, that awkwardness will diminish. I know I felt awkward wearing my hair up at first, but a few weeks of wearing my hair up everyday fixed that.

Larki
March 7th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I've struggled with trichotillomania, so I get it, believe me. What helps me is to either have my hair up or have it "styled" in some way - heatless curls or braid waves. When I put it up, I either do braids or those buns you get when you don't pull a ponytail through all the way on the last round.

Also, having something you can fiddle with works wonders. If one or both of your hands are idle, they're probably going to find their way to your head and you'll touch your ahir and mess with out without even realizing it. Lots of things can work: a bracelet to fiddle with, or a stress ball, putty (Aaron's Crazy Putty is great) - just something to keep your hands busy.

Anje
March 7th, 2014, 04:25 PM
If my hair is down, I play with it. Putting it up or at least braiding it is pretty much the only way I can make sure I leave it alone.

BTW, if you can't get it into a cinnabun at APL, I'm thinking maybe you're thicker than a i. :)

sarahthegemini
March 7th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, I will try practising some styles. I just have such a hatred for wearing my hair up but I think it's because, in all my 23 years, I've never managed to do anything other than a ponytail, a side braid or a lazy ponytail.

If my hair is down, I play with it. Putting it up or at least braiding it is pretty much the only way I can make sure I leave it alone.

BTW, if you can't get it into a cinnabun at APL, I'm thinking maybe you're thicker than a i. :)

This is interesting, I never really thought about it that way - I assumed I was just completely inept. My attempts at cinnabuns look like a hornet's butt, pointy! I just can't wrap it around. I never thought length or thickness would be the problem.

meteor
March 7th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, I will try practising some styles. I just have such a hatred for wearing my hair up but I think it's because, in all my 23 years, I've never managed to do anything other than a ponytail, a side braid or a lazy ponytail.

If you absolutely can't stand updos, another tip that can help is covering your hair with a silk scarf / cap / hat when you are at home. This way, whenever your hands go up to play with your hair, they don't actually touch your hair and don't make it greasy. If you do this consistently, after some time, the habit should go.

But I really do recommend learning updos. It's a great skill that I learned pretty late, but it made detangling and growing hair out a breeze. Start with something very simple like a French twist, a cinnabun, or a braided bun.

Larki
March 7th, 2014, 09:36 PM
If you absolutely can't stand updos, another tip that can help is covering your hair with a silk scarf / cap / hat when you are at home. This way, whenever your hands go up to play with your hair, they don't actually touch your hair and don't make it greasy. If you do this consistently, after some time, the habit should go.

This is genius.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 7th, 2014, 11:43 PM
If I wore my hair loose I would probably play with it too. Let's face it, playing with hair is fun! But I keep it up. I still get the urge to twist and fiddle with something, so I play with my necklace or bracelet instead - that can't do any damage! The scarf idea is excellent too.

ErinLeigh
March 8th, 2014, 12:22 AM
I need tips to try and break the habit. I constantly touch it 1) out of habit and 2) to reassure myself that it still feels okay :-/ Less touching would solve the issue of hair getting prematurely greasy (can currently just about last 4 days before the length gets piece-y) I think the main issue is that I nearly always have my hair down as I don't like updos on my self, plus I am so incapable of anything related to styling. Seriously even a cinnabun doesn't work (my hair coils into a cone shape)
Any help? TIA!

eta: On a related note, are BB brushes good with fine hair? Any fine hairs use them regularly without causing greasiness?

BBB gives me static and spreads the oils which make overall hair feel more greasy.
I have to stroke hair and run palm over the part the stroked to hold static down. I am still figuring out a method but so far I have learned I cannot style hair with it. It is only for night time before bed for me.

As far as touching..I touch mine a lot.
Can you compromise with yourself and wear it up when you do not need to "look good" such as when home for instance? That could at least reduce the percentage of time it is available for touching.

I hate the way I look with hair up but I hate how it feels in my face more. So I wear it up at home and down for outings.

I will say one thing..as much as I hate how I look with it up..I have been wearing it up all month 24/7 as the cut I have looks disgusting and up is the lesser of the 2 evils. I plan on doing this ntil I cut on the 19th. Wearing it up all month has actually gotten me used to how I look with it this way. I even went out with friends and to work with it up which never happens. This should be awesome for me..except wearing it up does not keep my hands off it. I just take it down to examine, comb, curse at, and then put back up.

Synnovea
March 8th, 2014, 01:02 AM

This is interesting, I never really thought about it that way - I assumed I was just completely inept. My attempts at cinnabuns look like a hornet's butt, pointy! I just can't wrap it around. I never thought length or thickness would be the problem.

I was the same way when I started here. By seeing all the intricate hairstyles, I became inspired to try some myself. I practiced plenty and now I have more than a handful of regular go-to braids and buns with which I'm happy.

two_wheels
March 8th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Also, spin pins will hold even the most inept of buns, so they're really good if you want to put your hair up but can't be bothered to get it just right.

spidermom
March 8th, 2014, 10:13 AM
I agree with putting it up, also wrapping it with scarves. I've rarely failed to get a compliment when I do my hair up with a scarf. Check out YouTube, such as 10 ways to tie a silk scarf.

sarahthegemini
March 9th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I have read every single response guys, they're much appreciated :) I've been watching videos on the french twist, how did I not know a style that looks so easy to do?! My only issue is I don't have any hair pins, just bobby pins, hmm. If I can get the hang of it (with bobby pins) it might be my go-to style!

Firefox7275
March 9th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Do your cinnabun way looser to the point you think it won't stay, then secure with three Spin Pins (pound shop).

meteor
March 9th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I have read every single response guys, they're much appreciated :) I've been watching videos on the french twist, how did I not know a style that looks so easy to do?! My only issue is I don't have any hair pins, just bobby pins, hmm. If I can get the hang of it (with bobby pins) it might be my go-to style!

I'm glad you like the French twist. Lots of excellent videos for it on YouTube. It's my favourite style but I can't do it on my length! :(
You can definitely do French twists with just bobby pins, unless the hair is extremely thick. Ideally, I would recommend using hair forks / sticks / ficarres instead of bobby pins, only because there's less risk of damaging individual hair strands during all the manipulation.

sarahthegemini
March 9th, 2014, 04:32 PM
I'm glad you like the French twist. Lots of excellent videos for it on YouTube. It's my favourite style but I can't do it on my length! :(
You can definitely do French twists with just bobby pins, unless the hair is extremely thick. Ideally, I would recommend using hair forks / sticks / ficarres instead of bobby pins, only because there's less risk of damaging individual hair strands during all the manipulation.

It's such a pretty style, I'll probably be sad when my hair is too long for it :p I can totally see how hair sticks and forks and such would be a little more hair friendly. I'm very careful when I insert and remove bobby pins though so hopefully I can limit any damage :)

MadeiraD
March 9th, 2014, 06:04 PM
If you don't like how your hair looks pulled straight back (I don't like how that looks on me either)

Gibson Girl updos are great and they have some lovely tutorials on you tube. This lady has some lovely ones. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X72_1cOARX8)
You can also do victory rolls in the front and stick the rest up in a snood
There's me sporting some victor rolls (no teasing, I just roll and pin my hair)
http://31.media.tumblr.com/ab6a4875e898b084b693d4be3680c687/tumblr_my5693Bs9P1qb5grro1_1280.jpg

teddygirl
March 9th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I am of the group that I don't understand why bother having long hair if you aaaalways wear it up. If you don't like updos on yourself that's fine, you don't have to. What I would suggest is to distract your hands in another way, perhaps a long necklace that you can play/fiddle with or something like that. I know that I touch my hair a lot, but its almost unconcious, when I do it I just a habit.

sarahthegemini
March 10th, 2014, 06:23 AM
My attempt at a french twist!

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y405/sarahthegemini/20140310_121441_zps35c52427.jpg (http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/sarahthegemini/media/20140310_121441_zps35c52427.jpg.html)

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y405/sarahthegemini/20140310_121432_zps0570eb82.jpg (http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/sarahthegemini/media/20140310_121432_zps0570eb82.jpg.html)

I know it's very messy (eapecially at the scalp) and the random tail of hair, well I don't know how that happened lol. This was my 5th/6th attempt and it was miles better than the first so at least I am making progress! I secured it with two bobby pins.eta Just had to add two more bobby pins, no more tail is hanging out altho it is still very messy!

two_wheels
March 10th, 2014, 06:31 AM
I find this video a bit irritating for some reason, but the method she uses to get a French twist in APL hair works well on mine- twist as you fold up, pinch the top, then fold the ends under and pin. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHQwLBvwoZE