PDA

View Full Version : Hip length definition

Tai Shan Fan
September 12th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I did a search, but could find what I was looking for so,

define hip length :flower:

If your hair is hip length, is it level with
1) Greater trochanter (the bit that hurts if you lie down on your side on a hard surface) that is actually part of your upper leg bone (femur)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_trochanter

2) Iliac crest (the first bone you find if you move down from your waist at the sides)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliac_crest

or neither? :ponder:

TIA :flower:

Euphony
September 12th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I think it's the iliac crest due to the fact that if it was the greater trochanter then it would be tail bone or longer.

florenonite
September 12th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I measure to the iliac crest (not that I'm anywhere close to there yet :( )

Xanthippe
September 12th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I think it's the iliac crest due to the fact that if it was the greater trochanter then it would be tail bone or longer.

I agree although I didn't call my hair hip length until it was somewhere in between the two. Now it's around the top of my femur and I would say it seems a tad bit longer than what I think of as hip.

ilovelonghair
September 12th, 2008, 04:57 PM
It's very hard to measure, at the back my hair is probably hip lenght, because it comes till the small of my back and that is at the same hight as my hip bones, but at the front my hair is not that long.

Islandgrrl
September 12th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I vote iliac crest.

KarenLynn
September 12th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Definitely iliac crest.

SweetPea88
September 12th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I'd have to say the same as well. I do think this is one of the lengths that is a little bit difficult to see clearly from the back.

Tai Shan Fan
September 13th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the replies :flower:
Iliac crest it is then. I wondered about it as on short-waisted folk like myself there isn't really much in the way of difference between waist and hip.

nessthing
September 13th, 2008, 04:10 AM
If it's the iliac crest then I'm just barely still at hip after my big (3 inches ooooo) trim. Yay! It really doesn't look like "hip" though to me, even though there is hair at the level on my back where the iliac crest is on the side.

They sure are tricky milestones, between waist and... I dunno, knee, huh?

Periwinkle
September 13th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Iliac crest (isn't that a great name?) I'd say, if that's the bone you can see when you lie down. I think it is.

Qamar
September 13th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Iliac crest (isn't that a great name?) I'd say, if that's the bone you can see when you lie down. I think it is.

Yes, thats the anterior iliac crest that sticks up on thin folks when they lie on their back. I can FEEL mine, but sadly, can't see them.

My favourite anatomical phrase is 'ischial tuberosity'...thats the bony bit in the centre of your butt cheeks, sometimes called the sit bones in yoga classes. Its not so much that its a cool spot to look at or feel, just a cool name.

My hair is still at waist, but I'm very much looking forward to having it reach my iliac crests...and then later on my greater trochanter.

KarenLynn
September 13th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Tai Shan Fan - waist and hip are only about two inches apart on me. People are just shaped differently.

Now, anyone want to define tail bone? :lol:

Gecko
September 13th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I'd say just below the Iliac crest...

Tai Shan Fan
September 13th, 2008, 07:44 AM

The base of the coccyx? :shrug:

For the iliac crest, I'm assuming we mean the uppermost part of it, as by the time it goes down to the anterior superior iliac spine as some have mentioned, that is significantly lower and would give a different measurement.

aisling
September 13th, 2008, 07:56 AM

Hair gets into crack? :lol: I'm perfectly happy with that, I don't have any need to start searching for the real tailbone :)

florenonite
September 13th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Yes, thats the anterior iliac crest that sticks up on thin folks when they lie on their back. I can FEEL mine, but sadly, can't see them.

My favourite anatomical phrase is 'ischial tuberosity'...thats the bony bit in the centre of your butt cheeks, sometimes called the sit bones in yoga classes. Its not so much that its a cool spot to look at or feel, just a cool name.

My hair is still at waist, but I'm very much looking forward to having it reach my iliac crests...and then later on my greater trochanter.

Personally, I'm rather fond of the "xyphoid process", which is that bone below the sternum (joining the ribs together).

anna1850
September 14th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I'd say the iliac crest is the top of hip and the greater trochanter is the bottom. The same way that the top and the bottom of the bra strap are the top and bottom of BSL respectively.

soprano
September 14th, 2008, 07:46 AM
waist and hip are only about two inches apart on me.

Waist and hip are all of about three inches apart on me as well.

I call it tailbone right where I can feel the end of my tailbone through the skin.

Samikha
September 14th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I always found this guide (http://community.livejournal.com/longhair/1403987.html) to be pretty useful. I need something visual to define things by.

Iylivarae
September 14th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I measured to the iliac crest.

CurlyNinja
September 15th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Tai Shan Fan - waist and hip are only about two inches apart on me. People are just shaped differently.

You know, it's funny--iliac crest and tailbone are only an inch or two off for me, but waist to iliac crest is a bit longer. People ARE shaped so differently, I think where waist is is what really varies the most.

aprilmay
September 15th, 2008, 11:02 AM
That is a very helpful guide! I was hip length and post trim I am at iliac crest.

Euphony
September 15th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the replies :flower:
Iliac crest it is then. I wondered about it as on short-waisted folk like myself there isn't really much in the way of difference between waist and hip.
I have the same problem. I made some pants the other day and altered the pattern to actually fit my rise...I had to shave off almost 4 inches from where the waist is supposed to be on normal people so they'd fit. There's about 3/4" from my waist to the top of my hip bones, so I was at waist for about a month and a half and then POOF it was miraculously hip.

TheSpottedCow
September 15th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I vote illiac.

For me there's like 5-6" at least between my waist and illiac bone. My waist (if defined as the narrowest part of the torso) is directly underneath my ribs, several inches above my belly button.. which is just barely above my hip bones. For me I went from BSL to waist length without even realizing I wasn't at BSL anymore... But now it's been since the mid winter that I've been waiting to get to hip, and now only the longest strands reach the top of the bone.

Likewise, on me, the whole crack to measure where the tailbone is thing doesn't work, or hip and TBL on me would be about an inch apart. My tailbone is actually way lower.

KarenLynn
September 15th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Here's where the different lengths are on me. As you see, very little difference between waist and hip (about 2"), while hip and tail bone are more than 6" apart. TB to classic should only be about 3", however. :shrug:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/KarenLynn/September%202008/IMG_6058crlwS.jpg