PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here have long bleached blonde hair?

bythesea
March 6th, 2014, 04:41 PM
I love/miss having blonde hair! But I only ever had blonde hair when it was shorter/bob length.

I think I want to have it bleached blonde again.

Is there anyone here with waist length hair that's blonde? What is your hair care routine like? Any tips? Did you notice any changes (good or bad) when you had your hair dyed blonde?

Thank you for ANY insight!

Marbid
March 6th, 2014, 05:18 PM
I think there is at least one person here with considerably long bleached hair.... Dont know her name.... Dont think she is here often, only heard of her once... But i do remember that she went blond from virgin at least waist length hair... And that she only keeps up with the roots now and leaves the length alone...

Needles to say... Some heads of hair tolerate the bleaching process better... But you can still pull it off with long hair, just going to take a bit more tlc than virgin hair because it is damaging. And only do roots for upkeep... With that, you can still have hair that at least looks healthy.. But don't expect to get much farther than hip length ( on resistant hair) with bleach blond... The damage will show eventually.. ( but even here in lhc, hip length hair is still very long hair)

So there...

Im just speaking from memory from quite some time ago... So correct me if I'm wrong k. :)

cheetahfast
March 6th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I don't, but there have been members that did.

If I recall properly one had at least TBL length and her hair had been up kept that way for over 3 years, she did highlights since her hair was a darker blonde. Another has gorgeous hair that is super long (perhaps knee) and she uses sun-in very carefully. I know one member here started with black hair and went platinum, I think she was classic.

Once I grow out my natural color (a sandy blonde so far), I may choose to bleach.
From what I have read up it seems that one should:
-Use coconut oil when bleaching (you can find threads on this if you search)
-Make sure to do protein treatments more often afterwards
-Be aware that you may need to trim more often and be gentler with your hair

I think waist length bleached blond hair is very possible.
Hopefully, others will chime in.

ETA: I know which members I am referring to, but I always feel funny adding names in.

prettyinpink
March 6th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Back in highschool I would bleach my elbow length hair literally every single day with peroxide. I have naturally red, coarse, curly hair and I never used any masks or deep condish or anything! My hair wasnt exactly healthy, but it wasnt too bad either. I never used shampoo or heat

bythesea
March 6th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Thanks ladies! It has been so long since I bleached my hair, I just don't even remember what it was like to care for it. Plus, my hair back then was collar bone length, and now it's about waist length.

prettyinpink
March 6th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Bleach is a huge commitment, even more of a commitment than a cut! So be really sure before you do it! Gorgeous hair by the way

chen bao jun
March 6th, 2014, 08:19 PM
There is a whole thread on this and it is HUGE. I don't recall the name of it, but there are actually many members who bleach their hair. I think it is called something like "Bottle Blonde goes long" or "Bottle Blonde grows long".
It is definitely possible. One of my friends has waist length hair that is bleached blonde. It doesn't look natural, but it looks very nice. She's very attractive. She has had long bleached blonde hair as long as I've known her, about 15 years. She's not very dark naturally (she was blond as a child and would be a blonette now probably) and probably has very strong hair, because she also chemically perms it curly and it never looks damaged at all. But that's at least one case. I also knew another girl bleaching blonde who was very dark indeed and had quite fragile hair, thin and fine. Her hair kept getting shorter and shorter as she kept bleaching over the course of a year--but she also would not do anything to prevent damage. She did use coconut oil before bleaching when I recommended that and would let me do SMTS for her and protein treatments--and she really liked how her hair felt when that was done, but then she'd go back to college and that would be that. So I'm not sure that the problem was bleaching so much as total lack of preventative care and maintenance. She went from mid back to shoulder in just one year, without ever getting a haircut and her hair was FRIED. However, then she decided to stop and now one year later, she has mid back length brunette hair again that looks very healthy so no harm was done. I really think she could probably have remained a blonde at about midback for a few years if she had wanted to put in the effort but it would have been a lot of trouble--and she actually looks better as a brunette. Serious dark eyebrows and so forth.
I don't know if anyone does this and has knee length or beyond, but why don't you google 'bottle blonde LHC" and see what you find. Good luck.

Stormynights
March 6th, 2014, 08:31 PM
I started bleaching a woman's hair when she was in her 20's. Now she is 50. Her hair is waist length and very fine. I retired a few months ago. We worked hard at keeping her hair in as good shape as possible.

MadeiraD
March 8th, 2014, 06:10 PM
My husband has shoulder blade bottom length platinum blonde hair. We just bleach the roots and leave the rest alone. Frankly he should be gentler with it than he is.

spidermom
March 8th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Check out the thread "bottle blonde grows long". Tons of tips from people who know.

HazelBug
March 8th, 2014, 07:28 PM
I dyed my hair black and got to tailbone length. But that's not quite the same as bleach. I'm currently growing my hair again and it is just below shoulder. I bleached black dye out of it and I don't see splits all that often. But my hair is very resilient. I also avoid most things that damage hair. And it's been a few months since any dye has touched my hair. (trying to go back to my natural color) I find that my hair is a lot more dry after the bleaching process. But I had to do a lot to get the black dye out. (bleached twice. used toner that didn't want to tone. dyed it with an ash blond that didn't really affect the red and then dyed it a medium brown which has since faded to a light red brown.) Of course some of the stuff I've found on this sight has really helped me manage the dryness. I guess you should just make sure you are sure before you commit to the dye.

meteor
March 8th, 2014, 07:54 PM
I used to have hip length blonde highlighted hair. I didn't treat it properly at all (pre-LHC days) - blow-drier on high heat so close to scalp and hair that it would burn, frequent shampooing, roughest brushing, no oils..., and I assumed the hair would forever stay resilient, so the condition of my hair deteriorated over time - it became very dry, tangly, split-end prone, and lost a lot of shine.

Bleach is very rough on hair, so you need to do almost everything else right if you want to bleach hair while growing it long. Never pull colour through (refresh the length) when you do your roots, and don't forget to apply coconut oil a few hours before the bleach.
You'll need way more hydrolyzed proteins, oils, ceramides, 18-MEA, panthenol, silicones after the bleach, because the hair becomes porous and you'll need to patch-repair with your conditioners and leave-ins.

teddygirl
March 8th, 2014, 10:10 PM
My hair is about wl and I'm currently gorwing out my blonde. When I first joined this forum I had every intention on continuing with my highlights, but both the cost and damage that had already been done to my hair made me reconsider. I had been getting highlights regularly for about 7 years, and the ends of my hair were very very damaged. I think if you keep up with just the roots it could be fine, but I would get the whole strand done during highlights.