PDA

View Full Version : How to clarify properly?

Leighton
March 6th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Sorry if this is an obvious question but I'm a little unsure about clarifying. My hair's pretty lifeless, dull and dryish at the moment so I suspect it's in need of it.

I've bought some concentrated lemon juice as I've heard it's a pretty good clarifier, however I've got to admit I'm not certain how exactly to do it... so, what exactly is the best method for clarifying?

I've researched a little and have a vague idea... but I'd feel better hearing the right method from a LHC member.

Madora
March 6th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Personally, I use Neutrogena Anti-Residue clarifying shampoo, followed by a few drops of mineral oil.

Firefox7275
March 6th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Lemon juice is a chelator (citric and a little ascorbic acid, for mineral deposits) not a clarifier (harsh surfactants, for product build up), which are you trying to achieve?

Leighton
March 6th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Thanks for your replies guys :)

Oh, is it? I'm trying to get rid of product build up so I guess lemon juice isn't what I'm needing. D:

Anje
March 6th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Diluted lemon juice is decent for getting mineral buildup out of hair, but it doesn't remove a lot of products. For most people, a good clarifying sulfate-loaded shampoo is your best bet.

Firefox7275
March 6th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Thanks for your replies guys :)

Oh, is it? I'm trying to get rid of product build up so I guess lemon juice isn't what I'm needing. D:

Then you want a shampoo rich in a sulphate, olefin sulfonate or cocoamidopropyl betaine AND non conditioning/ clear type. No silicones, polyquats, proteins etc. you can even use a shower gel or hand wash it doesn't have to be marketed as a shampoo. Otherwise the Neutrogena is supposed to be decent.

Madora
March 6th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Neutrogena Anti-Residue clarifying shampoo has received good reviews here. I found it very thorough at clarifying.

ErinLeigh
March 6th, 2014, 11:42 AM
I like the Neutrogena also. Suave and VO5 make great clarifying shampoos also that are under $1.
Suave Daily Clarify is the name and the VO5 is the kiwi lime or vanilla mint scents. The can be found at any drugstore or grocery store, same as the Neutrogena.

The lemon can used if you want to take some minerals out, or will make a nice rinse following the shampoo if you do not want to waste them.
Just squeeze the lemon into a giant cup of water. Pour over hair after wash, Let it sit in for a minute and then rinse out. YOu can do this before of after conditioning. I do it before but everyone is different.

ladylowtide
March 6th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I had a TON of buildup from shampoo, icky water etc. I used dish soap. Was dry the first day but now it looks great.

nakima
March 6th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I agree with Madora I also use neutrogena anti residue and it works really well afterwards I use a good conditioner. you can find it at any grocery store walmart etc. its the one in the small square bottle. Good luck!

lapushka
March 6th, 2014, 05:30 PM
You don't especially have to go out and buy something. If you have a sulfate shampoo that doesn't contain silicones, you can use that as a clarifying shampoo *perfectly*!

Rio040113
March 7th, 2014, 03:20 AM
I love Joico's clarifying shampoo, mainly because it chelates as well :)

Robot Ninja
March 7th, 2014, 07:02 AM
I like the Neutrogena as well, although it does have a strong medicinal smell that lingers in your hair, which I don't like.

But tell me more about this lemon juice as chelating agent thing. Most importantly, does it play well with semi-permanent dyes?

Carolyn
March 7th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Which ever clarifying shampoo you choose, be sure to do a heavy moisturizing conditioning treatment after you shampoo your hair. The clarifying shampoo is made to strip the hair. That means you need to put moisture back in. I prefer something without cones for it. Biolage Conditioning Balm is a good one or a SMT. There are many others of course. I save the coney conditioners for subsequent conditionings.

spidermom
March 7th, 2014, 07:33 AM
For clarifying, I like VO5 kiwi lime.

Remi
March 7th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Which ever clarifying shampoo you choose, be sure to do a heavy moisturizing conditioning treatment after you shampoo your hair. The clarifying shampoo is made to strip the hair. That means you need to put moisture back in. I prefer something without cones for it. Biolage Conditioning Balm is a good one or a SMT. There are many others of course. I save the coney conditioners for subsequent conditionings.

I agree. Use a heavy moisturizing conditioner afterwards.