PDA

View Full Version : Please suggest a style that's easy on the roots (not ends)

Felix_D
March 6th, 2014, 08:48 AM
I used to bleach my hair super-platinum white but had to stop due to losing ~ half my volume of hair. I dyed it brown, close to my natural shade, and have been growing it out every since.

I'm at ~collarbone. When I get to APL (Christmas 2014), I'm going to hold it there and trim it regularly until all the bleached bits are cut out (Christmas 2015).

Also, I work from home and can wear my hair however, doesn't matter, and wash it as (in)frequently as I need.

My hair is very fine and slightly thin. I've been tested, nothing's wrong, just on the bottom end of the normal scale for strength and volume.

What's a good routine for my hair to minimize strain on the roots? Should I just leave it down all the time? Should I move my part around or keep it where it is? Any other thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your input!

Anje
March 6th, 2014, 08:58 AM
When it's long enough to wear up, there's no reason you can't wear it up. In fact, if you want to grow considerably longer than APL, it's probably easier if you get adept at putting it up. Just be aware of how it feels -- if it is getting uncomfortable, take your hair down and re-do it. Or wear a braid for the rest of the day (which is very easy on grumpy follicles that are sick of being pushed in a different direction). Updos that aren't making you look surprised shouldn't be harmful to your roots at all, but if your follicles aren't used to going in a different direction, they might protest and start to ache. If you're in that category, I think the best long-term solution is to train your scalp, at least so that you can do buns in common locations. Start with wearing hair in that position for maybe an hour and gradually increase the time.

Oh, and if all else fails, most of us find that washing or at least wetting the scalp brings near-instant relief when the follicles won't stop complaining that you wore your hair up.

browneyedsusan
March 6th, 2014, 10:05 AM
When it's long enough to wear up, there's no reason you can't wear it up. In fact, if you want to grow considerably longer than APL, it's probably easier if you get adept at putting it up. Just be aware of how it feels -- if it is getting uncomfortable, take your hair down and re-do it. Or wear a braid for the rest of the day (which is very easy on grumpy follicles that are sick of being pushed in a different direction). Updos that aren't making you look surprised shouldn't be harmful to your roots at all, but if your follicles aren't used to going in a different direction, they might protest and start to ache. If you're in that category, I think the best long-term solution is to train your scalp, at least so that you can do buns in common locations. Start with wearing hair in that position for maybe an hour and gradually increase the time.

Oh, and if all else fails, most of us find that washing or at least wetting the scalp brings near-instant relief when the follicles won't stop complaining that you wore your hair up.

^this^
You can put it up if you want. It's common for shorthaired people to have follicle pain when they start pinning it up because our hair gets used to laying in one direction with no weight from bobbypins or hairties. You can move your part all you want, and pin it up, but brace for the possible hissy-fit from your follicles. They might throw a little tantrum because they're a little spoiled. :)

ErinLeigh
March 6th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I find a basic claw clip works at this length. Just lightly twist into clip. You can vary the height where you place it as needed.
I found some really comfortable flat based ones that don't pressure my head so much.
As Ange and Susan said..If your roots hurt then try wearing hair up an hour a day, then slowly increase the time until you are used to it.

I am actually following the same plan as you with regards to grow out! My hair is fine and thin also and I am growing out damage. Looks like we should hit goal around same time :)

Felix_D
March 6th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Thank you all! I think I'll still with braids because they're easy and gentle. My default was french twist, but it's pretty tight especially near the front and I want to take it easy.

Cheers! :)