PDA

View Full Version : Layers or straight hem?

MaryO
March 6th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Hey everyone!

I am experiencing a dilemma! I recently got a creaclip with the intention of straightening out my hemline. My hair hasn't been cut or trimmed in about a year and a half and I just grew it out from a very short bob, hence it looks sort of layered but it wasn't my intention though. Aaaanyways, now that I actually have the clip and am about to start the process of cutting my ends straight bit by bit until I have a thick hemline I feel unsure about why I want to do it and whether it's going to be worth losing length every couple of months to acheive this?

So I'm looking for opinions- if you have layers, whay do you like them? If you have a straight hemline, why do you like that? Thanks in advance everyone! :-)

ositarosita
March 6th, 2014, 08:53 AM
I was growing my hair out into a blunt hemline (no layers at all) but then I realised that with my hair texture it makes more sense for me to have some layering . I'm a wurly so with some light layering I can wear my with it's natural texture and it looks awesome but if I don't I end up with straight roots and 3b curls at the bottom.

BrendaLoan
March 6th, 2014, 09:00 AM
I was growing my hair out into a blunt hemline (no layers at all) but then I realised that with my hair texture it makes more sense for me to have some layering . I'm a wurly so with some light layering I can wear my with it's natural texture and it looks awesome but if I don't I end up with straight roots and 3b curls at the bottom.

I feel exactly the same. I have layered 2b hair

Ypena3
March 6th, 2014, 09:01 AM
I have bangs and layers because I can do a lot of different hair dos with it this way. Plus, when I let it all grow out it is way too heavy, can't put it in a pony, a bun -- anything with out a headache within 20 to 30 minutes. I like being able to style my hair to my mood I.e., feeling 70's I do something with a bump. When I feel a little sassy I put it into a high pony (my boyfriend calls me his Jeannie when I do this) with a slight curl on the edges. I am new to the community and can't find definitions for the hair types...can someone help?

DweamGoiL
March 6th, 2014, 09:06 AM
I'm also a wavy and my hair is quite thick. When I had my hemline entirely blunt, it was pretty and impressive from an aesthetic stand point. It was easier to manage because updos and braids just kind of fell into place, but it was also heavy. I got headaches often and I could never wear it down. The hair felt like a heavy curtain hanging from the back of my head. In October of 2012, I had long layers cut into it, and I LOVE it. There is so much more movement and I can wear it down without too much fuss. It's never frizzy, etc.

JessicaAnn
March 6th, 2014, 09:33 AM
I have very thick 2b hair and I love having long layers in it when they are done right. In October I had some bad layers cut in (actually the problem was just one really bad, very short and thick top layer), but as they are growing longer I am loving them more and more. For the year or so before that I had all waist length hair. It was cool to look at and pretty impressive right after I washed it and pumped up the roots a little. But it didn't take long at all for it to go really flat on top, tangle and frizz on the bottom if there was any wind at all, and it just generally get kind of lank for no good reason. I think I will always keep layers in my hair just because I like the way it looks with my thickness and texture. Usually when I see someone with a nice blunt cut they have stick straight or fine hair. That's not me and never will be and I just have to keep that in mind.

Madora
March 6th, 2014, 09:38 AM
I prefer a blunt hemline, although my hair is anything but at present due to no trimming for a year. With a blunt cut, it is much easier to do S and Ding or trimming (if the need arises). I never had any trouble wearing my hair up with a blunt hemline.

Rushli
March 6th, 2014, 09:46 AM
I have 2b/c BSL with layers. Right now the layers are a pain. They fall out of buns all the time. I am growing it out first and then cutting off the layers. I figure if I grow first and find that when it is longer the layers are not that much of a problem, then I can keep them or even just cut down the amount. Although 8" of layers seems like a lot with on 26.5" of hair, it might not seem so much with 36" +.

The only other down fall is that I can not cut layers myself and wanted to try self trimming when the time came just to save that much more money... so I can spend it on hair toys. hehe

Anje
March 6th, 2014, 10:03 AM
My hair has a tendency to taper more than I like and isn't particularly thick, so I usually prefer to create a fairly blunt hemline just to keep from having the ends be about 4 hairs thick. Between the waves and the taper, it doesn't look all that blunt, but it's easy to maintain. Layers would just decrease the bulk of the ends that much further.

That said, the curlier hair is, the more I like it with layers or fairytale ends, whereas I tend to appreciate 1a hair most with a blunt hem. Personal preference.

hypersensitive
March 6th, 2014, 11:17 AM
A blunt hemline makes hair look thicker and it's easier to do buns and braids. I have a straight hem.

Aderyn
March 6th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I prefer a v-cut hemline or fairytale-ish ends. I'm a wurly, my hair curls into ringlets at the ends, and a blunt hemline just gives my hair a triangle-shaped, poofy effect down at the bottom, while I find the look of a v-cut or fairytale hemline to look a lot better (and since my goes into ringlets, I feel it makes my hemline look pretty thick, too). I find it easy to tuck in the tapered ends into my buns and/or to pin down the ends.

I had layers long ago and am not planning on going back to them. Much easier to make buns and braids without layers, and you definitely avoid the shredded braid look, which I'm not too fond of. I think layers can look nice, especially if you plan to wear your hair down all the time or you prefer a more messy look with your updos. You can definitely still have sleek updos with braids, though it might take a bit more effort at shorter lengths.

ositarosita
March 6th, 2014, 02:25 PM
I feel exactly the same. I have layered 2b hair

I just went in with scissors last night and today then cut in a TON of layers.. now because my hair is "released" I swear it's 3a/b.. the best part NO FLAT ROOTS.. but I have lost about 5" due to shrinkage lol

lapushka
March 6th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I had layers before, then grew them out, now the layers are back again. In hip+ hair they are more than welcome, let me say that! I don't know about shorter hair, though!

Look into the compact cut method for layers. You cut layers into your hair with one snip across a ponytail. You put the ponytail on top of your head for longer layers; ponytail on top of the forehead for short layers.

woodswanderer
March 6th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Hmmm...I have a different take than some on ease of updos. My hair is blunt with very little taper. I sometimes find it hard to get the ends tucked into a bun without using extra pins or something. I sometimes feel a little jealous that some can just tuck or wrap the last little bit of hair in more easily and get to stay. However, I much prefer a blunt look, so I stick with it.

Rushli
March 6th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Look into the compact cut method for layers. You cut layers into your hair with one snip across a ponytail. You put the ponytail on top of your head for longer layers; ponytail on top of the forehead for short layers.
Perfect. I will have to remember that in the future, just in case I go that route.

Hmmm...I have a different take than some on ease of updos. My hair is blunt with very little taper. I sometimes find it hard to get the ends tucked into a bun without using extra pins or something. I sometimes feel a little jealous that some can just tuck or wrap the last little bit of hair in more easily and get to stay. However, I much prefer a blunt look, so I stick with it.

I never thought about this. If I had a nice blunt hem and tried to get a full 3.75", assuming little to no tapper, tucked into a bun I might be in trouble.

Crumpet
March 6th, 2014, 04:47 PM
I'm growing out layers because a stylist got a bit too aggressive with them when she cut them in (I hadn't even ASKED for layers!). I want to keep some layers, but ones that are a bit more gentle than these and leave me with more 'base' hair than these other ones do. I'm hoping to grow these layers out a bit and then re-cut layers that will work better on my fine, wavy hair than the ones that I have now.

HazelBug
March 6th, 2014, 05:02 PM
I went for the blunt cut because I don't care for layers. My hair is pretty straight and slightly fine. Blunt cuts keep my ends from looking thin. But It does slow the grow out process. I trimmed back untill I had no layers and I've just passed shoulder. I've been growing out a buzz cut and I guess it's been around 2 years so far. I find it easier to do things with my hair and contain it when it's all 1 length. My scalp is not sensitive so I've never had the weight issue with my hair. (I've been to tbl)

I guess the thing is figuring out what you are aiming for. Everyone is different!

vickinight
March 6th, 2014, 09:28 PM
I have bangs and layers because I can do a lot of different hair dos with it this way. Plus, when I let it all grow out it is way too heavy, can't put it in a pony, a bun -- anything with out a headache within 20 to 30 minutes. I like being able to style my hair to my mood I.e., feeling 70's I do something with a bump. When I feel a little sassy I put it into a high pony (my boyfriend calls me his Jeannie when I do this) with a slight curl on the edges. I am new to the community and can't find definitions for the hair types...can someone help?

Ypena3,
Welcome! I still feel as a newbie myself but this page from the archives helped me a lot in understanding the hair typing and classifiers that are used here (1a-4b, F-C, i-iii, etc.):
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8954

Hopefully, that's helpful for you? I'm not 100% sure if that's what you meant :o...
Cheers and see you around!

rowan fire
March 6th, 2014, 09:53 PM
I like the look of a slight U-shaped hemline.

I've been telling myself for months that "just a little bit longer" and I'll have my fairy tale ends cut back so my hemline is more full looking and shaped, but I haven't been able to talk myself into it. I've wanted to be waist+ for ever and now that I'm there, I haven't been able to bring myself to cut it back.

I have layers that had been fairly short AND the girl used thinning shears before I realized what she was doing, so my ends are pretty wispy and I know would look much better if cut back. Also I don't like that pieces stick out of braids and buns and the tail of my braid (is so thin and puny), so I don't often wear it up.

Personally, I really do like the look of a blunt hem so much better. I might have to be brave and just go for it, but if I can't find the courage, I'm just going to start taking small amounts off the bottom each month so it's not so drastic and potentially traumatizing.

Best wishes with whatever you decide!

Snidget
March 6th, 2014, 10:00 PM
I like having just one or two shorter layers in the front to frame my face a little. The shortest currently comes to just above my collarbone. Other than that, I'm planning on having a straight hemline (my last haircut gave me layers due to a misunderstand -_-). I don't have any issues with layers sticking out braids, but I do find that buns are harder.

MaryO
March 6th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Thanks so much for all the opinions!:blossom:
I am 99% convinced that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just cut liiiiittle by little every month (or so) until I have the hem that I like. I have a feeling that this longing for a straighter hem isn't going to leave me so I'd better start (I'm always going to be sorry for my precious length)! I can always just stop if I don't feel like it anymore!

Simone_Fatale
March 7th, 2014, 02:26 AM
I grew out a pixie and it was all sorts of layered madness... Started trimming but then realized that layers look better with my 2a texture so I just had the layers evened out and shaped a bit better and left them alone... It's perfect now, the layers are long enough to be put in a bun or ponytail but also make my hair a bit lighter, encouraging my curls to come through.

ErinLeigh
March 7th, 2014, 02:42 AM
I like both depending on the hair type. If hair seems to triangle out then I think some layering adds a nice shape.
For thin, fine hair I usually find a blunt hemline gives a better look of thickness. That being said, as much as I moan about my layers I actually prefer them on my own hair even though it is fine. I just do not like the severe layers that make the ends look unnaturally thinned out. I long to find someone to give me a light hemline layering to make hair fall nicely.

XcaliburGirl
March 7th, 2014, 05:37 AM
I recently cut layers. I am still not sure how I feel about them. They do make my hair feel lighter, but I'm not crazy about the shorter pieces. I will probably gradually trim the bottom until only the last couple inches are layered. Then I'll decide whether to go blunt.

Cederin
March 7th, 2014, 05:43 AM
I have heavy layers.
Pros: Hair looks really good down, also it gives me volume and body. In my opinion it looks way more natural!
Cons: Braids/buns are a bit harder to make. Layers can slip out during the day if I wear a braid of some kind.
My solution to that is to use some coconut oil in the ends and braid/bun really tight. Usually holds really well when I do that.

spidermom
March 7th, 2014, 06:21 AM
There are good things to say about all options. I love my layers right now because they make my hair dry so much faster, plus my hair looks pretty this way. But it looked pretty without layers, too.

Bagginslover
March 7th, 2014, 07:36 AM
I have 1a/b hair, hip length, with compact cut layers (though the actual hem is straight ish, maybe a u shape?). I LOVE my layers. I cut them nearly all out a while back, and witin 2 weeks cut them back in as I couldn't deal with my 'fat' ends!! They wouldn't tuck in buns, I couldn't braid as far down them, and I really, really missed my tiny braid tassel (it's pathetically puny considering my iii thickness, but I LOVE it that way ;) ). I think that cut taught me to never go without layered ends again, even if its just letting them fairytail when I get to longer lengths, I'll always have some sort of tapering in the last 12 inches or so, so that I can keep my easily tuckable, teeny tassel making ends :D

queenovnight
March 7th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I have layers and I hate them. I cannot wait til they've grown out! The problem for me is that layers can give the appearance of shorter and thinner hair. Well, that's how it is for my hair anyways. For some people, it gives volume.. but not for this gal.

Mizumi
March 7th, 2014, 09:58 AM
You have straight hair, I would say straight hemline! I think it looks thicker, healthier, and it's easier to manage. I don't like layers too much, lol.

jupiterinleo
March 7th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I, like you, could never decide between the pros and cons of a blunt cut and layers, so I opted out for an in-between--a v-cut! I have only a very slight v right now, but in a couple weeks I'm gonna be making it a much deeper v.

flemeister
March 9th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Interesting. I came into this thread intent on aiming for a straight hemline, but with wurly hair I'm not so sure anymore. I haven't had any trims since my last buzzcut just short of two years ago, so I've got layers galore. Might just keep it as is, to avoid any regrets. It should look better as it gets longer anyway. :)

S+D along the way, but haven't found any splits yet. :o

tommyboy
March 27th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I generally would prefer a straight hemline. That is how I had my hair cut when it was long before and I like the ends thick like that. Right now as I am nearing the end of the awkward stage it is layered from growing out a buzz cut. I trimmed it twice early on, but still have a good amount of layers. For now I am ok with that since it adds some extra length in back and gives me a reasonable ponytail when tied back. When its longer though i plan to even things out, but probably not for another years or so if i do it all at once.

LavenderStar
March 27th, 2014, 12:39 PM
I like the look of both blunt and layers. But for my own hair, my ends are tapered naturally....I find the ends of my braid, as well as when doing updos, it seems to work well with for me.

Auburndreaming
March 27th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I do have layers at the moment, quite a lot of them actually, I like them because when washing my hair it feels a lot more lightweight and it doesn't poof out quite so much, but since cutting the layers in I would prefer them to be gone now as I miss having a straight hemline to show off the thickness of my hair, knowing my luck I'll probably want the layers back once I've grown them out! :D

Ennapic
March 27th, 2014, 05:08 PM
My hair has always been fine and poker straight. Blunt ends for me.
After my last short cut (2003) I trimmed several times a year to keep it even while growing out.
About 6 weeks ago I was at hip length and finally got the courage to cut even - 7 inches off to about the small of my back and it looks better than ever.
But everyone is different, if you cut layers and then find they are not for you, hair grows ;)

ARG
March 27th, 2014, 05:53 PM
I had a lot of short layers put into my BSL hair last year, and regretted it within a week when trying to braid my hair for bed. The layers popped out while braiding, then when I woke up, only the back was braided, the front was completely loose. I'm growing them out now, and going for longer layers, because with my texture it gives the allusion to thickness. So until that happens, I'm babying my layers and doing a blunt trimming.

I'm doing it very, very gradual so I never lose length.

Autumn_Fairy
March 27th, 2014, 06:11 PM
It depends on your hair needs. if you like to do braids, straight blunt hem is probably better. . unless you keep long tassels on your braids. Also, when/if you get to classic length, you might want the extra volume at the bottom.

I have a U shaped hem with a single half-inch-above-the rest layer, but I prefer to wear my hair down a lot and this helps it move more freely and gives me a better wave/curl pattern.

LauraLongLocks
March 27th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I like a blunt or very soft U on straight hair. On wavy/wurlies, I like layers and deeper U-shape or V-shape hemlines.

The disadvantage, whatever the hair type, in my opinion is the shredding of braids and some other updos. I much prefer something that won't have bits sticking out all over the place. I don't know if it's better with curly or wavy hair. It might be. I just know that with my 1c hair, I get atrocious looking pieces sticking out all the way down my braid when I have layers. I'm about 2-3" away from cutting out the last of my layers, and will happily do so when I reach TBL.

jacqueline101
March 27th, 2014, 07:03 PM
I hate layers on me. I got rid of mine and my broken damage as well. I miss my v that's decided to become a straighter hem line. I have some taper but my hair has done this growth on its own. I guess my hair doesn't want it's natural v hem line anymore.

dellad
March 27th, 2014, 07:57 PM
I keep a straight hemline because it makes my hemline look thicker. It annoys me thought that my hair is always flat at the top and the hair falls around my face in an unflattering way. Maybe some face framing layers would help with that?

rose313
March 28th, 2014, 03:06 PM
I have a straight hemline but in a somewhat V shape. No layers, except for long side bangs and pieces around my face. I like it for many reasons, but mostly because it weighs my hair down and makes it straighter, and easier to control. I also do not like the thin look or wispy ends on myself.

LongHairLesbian
March 28th, 2014, 03:13 PM
I'm all about the straight hemline. I don't need short layers, or even "long layers" floating around at the top of my head, or popping out of braids and buns. I think layers would work more for me if I were someone that styled or used products on my hair all the time, but I don't. I just tie it back and prefer it to stay there. :P

sumidha
March 28th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I think layers, for me, would require too much maintenance. My dream hair would be all one length, so that I could microtrim a centimeter or two off the ends and be reasonably sure that I actually microtrimmed the majority of my strands. Right now my hair is so fairytailed and layered (not intentionally) that realistically, to actually trim the ends of the majority of my strands would require cutting off like 5+ inches, which I'm not really down for.

Not sure if that helped answer your question or not. :S

Bloom
March 28th, 2014, 08:45 PM
I have grown out bangs/layers and I don't like them. They take away from the thickness of my length, giving me fairytaling ends at waist length :P Once I git my goal I'm going to maintain it there until I have a blunt hem.