PDA

View Full Version : trying something new with my hair

cdonald2
March 5th, 2014, 10:07 PM
I am trying to see what is working best for my hair by changing my regimen. I clarified my hair like crazy, now, days later, it now occurred to me that i had a TON of buildup. its looking much better than it was already. I know i am going to EVENTUALLY need some sort of cleanser on it. But i need something gentle that makes it look less greasy but doesn't remove all of it. I really need something on my hair that makes it look clean, but doesnt remove 90% of the oils on my head. Any suggestions? im learning with my hair less is more.

Rio040113
March 5th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Have you tried diluting your shampoo or co-washing? Both of those are gentler cleansing options. Do you pre-wash oil? You could also look at shampoo bars, although I have no experience with them, so hopefully someone else will jump in with some advice! :)

cdonald2
March 5th, 2014, 11:19 PM
I am cautious about co washing since i dont know any good brands that dont use cones. Even so, i feel like it would somehow add buildup (even though that makes no sense what so ever)

I used to prewash oil, but it seems i do better without it. Ive heard good things about shampoo bars and thats where im leaning towards a bit, but i want to make sure that i know all of my options well before i decide on it.

ErinLeigh
March 6th, 2014, 12:19 AM
The shampoo bar thread is really a good read. I have seen some very beautiful over there. I love the idea of it actually but I worry my bleached hair may still be needing conditioning right now.

For cone Cone free washers..I like EDEN All Nattural Cleansing Conditioner.
Water (Aqua), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Cetearyl Alcohol, Propanediol, Butryospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Vegetable Oil, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Butylene Glycol, Panthenyl Hydroxypropyl Steardimonium Chloride, Propylene Glycol Dibenzoate, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol

AND

Loreal Cleansing Conditioner
Aqua/Water/Eau, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Cocoamphopropionate, Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Parfum/Fragrance, Isopropyl Alcohol, Caprylyl Glycol, Glycerin, Tocopherol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Camelina Sativa Oil/Camelina Sativa Seed Oil, Prunus Armeniaca Kernel Oil/Apricot Kernel Oil, Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil/Grape Seed Oil, Caramel, CI 19140/Yellow 5.

The Loreal rinses off really well. I feel it cleanses as you want, 90%. Also it is protein free. The EDEN us awesome also but some people don't like shea butter and protein.
I alternate the 2 so I keep balance for my hair. If I were to suggest a starer one I would say the Loreal. My hair feels clean and soft after use.

And next on my list to try is As I am Coconut Cowash. I am really happy with the 2 I currently use but I am always up for trying new products. ( I wonder if the castor oil would be too much for me but my stylist swears by this one and she has long beautiful hair)
Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificada, Purified) Extracts: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) and Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine)¹, Cetyl Alcohol², Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol², PEG-40 Castor Oil, Stearlkonium chloride, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil², Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil¹, Phytosterols¹, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract¹, Quaternium-18, Potassium Sorbate, Fragrance/Parfum, Limonene, Methylisothiazolinone. Source: 1-Natural, 2-Coconut

I do a mix right now of cowash and shampoo. I am finding I am slowly cowashing more though. I am noticing good changes from the the change.
Surprisingly I haven't felt buildup doing it.

Maybe try of the options and see what you think. Either buy a nice cowash and experiment, or you can order samples shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley for $2.50 apiece. They have a really nice website.

Hopefully you update and let us know what you decide. :)

cdonald2
March 6th, 2014, 12:15 PM
i'll definitely update.
As of now im going ot try shampoo bars i think. I found a seller on etsy that ive spoken to. she seems very knowledgeable

Heres her shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/noirliliana

Firefox7275
March 6th, 2014, 12:27 PM
The gentlest surfactants that are still shampoo are probably the glucosides. Anionic surfactants or anything alkaline such as soaps can strip away structural lipids. Alkaline soaps are notorious for build up in harder water areas.

The emulsifiers in conditioners (fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants) are not potent enough to break the bonds with hair and most do not build up. The most commonly used brands for cleansing in the US seem to be V05 and Suave Naturals. In the UK people use various cheap own brands, Tresemme Naturals or Inecto. These are all silicone free.

Do be aware not all silicones build up, but waxes can including cetyl esters, butters, some polyquats, hydrolysed protein, mineral oil/ petrolatum. It's really not an issue to have to clarify light build up occasionally.

If you really do only want to remove some rather than most sebum try water only.

ErinLeigh
March 6th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Have you ordered yet? I think it would be best to clarify before starting the shampoo bars. This way you are starting with a clean slate and can really evaluate how they feel. Are you going to do that?
I cant wait to hear what you think about them. Good luck :)

cdonald2
March 6th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Havent ordered yet but ive been touching base with her on the products. She told me the easiest ones to transfer to are the type 3 bars im probably going to try the tea one

I tried water only and it works great for a couple days but then my hair looks icky again. I dont want it to e obvious how infrequently i wash

Chocowalnut
March 6th, 2014, 06:40 PM
The shampoo bar thread is really a good read. I have seen some very beautiful over there. I love the idea of it actually but I worry my bleached hair may still be needing conditioning right now.

For cone Cone free washers..I like EDEN All Nattural Cleansing Conditioner.
Water (Aqua), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Cetearyl Alcohol, Propanediol, Butryospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Vegetable Oil, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Butylene Glycol, Panthenyl Hydroxypropyl Steardimonium Chloride, Propylene Glycol Dibenzoate, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol

AND

Loreal Cleansing Conditioner
Aqua/Water/Eau, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Cocoamphopropionate, Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Parfum/Fragrance, Isopropyl Alcohol, Caprylyl Glycol, Glycerin, Tocopherol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Camelina Sativa Oil/Camelina Sativa Seed Oil, Prunus Armeniaca Kernel Oil/Apricot Kernel Oil, Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil/Grape Seed Oil, Caramel, CI 19140/Yellow 5.

The Loreal rinses off really well. I feel it cleanses as you want, 90%. Also it is protein free. The EDEN us awesome also but some people don't like shea butter and protein.
I alternate the 2 so I keep balance for my hair. If I were to suggest a starer one I would say the Loreal. My hair feels clean and soft after use.

And next on my list to try is As I am Coconut Cowash. I am really happy with the 2 I currently use but I am always up for trying new products. ( I wonder if the castor oil would be too much for me but my stylist swears by this one and she has long beautiful hair)
Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificada, Purified) Extracts: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) and Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine)¹, Cetyl Alcohol², Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol², PEG-40 Castor Oil, Stearlkonium chloride, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil², Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil¹, Phytosterols¹, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract¹, Quaternium-18, Potassium Sorbate, Fragrance/Parfum, Limonene, Methylisothiazolinone. Source: 1-Natural, 2-Coconut

I do a mix right now of cowash and shampoo. I am finding I am slowly cowashing more though. I am noticing good changes from the the change.
Surprisingly I haven't felt buildup doing it.

Maybe try of the options and see what you think. Either buy a nice cowash and experiment, or you can order samples shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley for $2.50 apiece. They have a really nice website.

Hopefully you update and let us know what you decide. :)

I have tried the As I Am cowash and I like it a lot :) I recommend it.

cdonald2
March 6th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Where do they sell it? And how often do you cowash?

ErinLeigh
March 6th, 2014, 08:12 PM
I find AS I AM and EDEN at Sally's always. I hear they are at Target and Walmart also but I cannot confirm that.

I had no idea there were type 3 and such bars. This is news to me. I will be looking things up tonight out of interest.

Chocowalt thanks for the recommendation on the AS I AM. I find I really like the cleansing conditioners so it's good to hear as much feedback as possible before buying. There are quite a few to try and it can get costly trying them all. I would rather hear opinions first before spending money experimenting with different products. :)

cdonald2
March 7th, 2014, 12:23 AM
Ill have a look at walmart and target, im kind of boycotting sallys. I went there for a job interview and the manager was downright rude and patronizing. Im not a sensitive person but after the interview i knew that even if i got a call back i would never want to work there.

ErinLeigh
March 7th, 2014, 02:02 AM
Totally understand a boycott :)
I cannot work with rude people either and happily quit jobs that had them there.

Amazon us always a resort but I think you will find them at Target/Walmart in the ethnic section.
I never know why the products need separated. Grrr