PDA

View Full Version : Help: did a trim cause splits?

OleanderTime
March 5th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Prior to my annual trim in December, I had almost no splits. I'd go through my ends, finding maybe 1 split after many minutes. After I got an inch off, and 3 months later, I'm counting a handful of splits every minute. I went from having to hunt splits down, to having them jump out at me.

Is it possible the trim caused more splits? Maybe through mechanical damage (i let her blow dry it as a treat, hey it's Michigan), or if her shears were dull?

I also want to note that this dresser was very understanding of our more natural principles and she came highly recommended for that.

If I didn't think a trim caused this, I would say I'm due for a trim, but I successfully went a year last time! Anyway, has this happened to you? What'd you do about it? My hair is not long enough for self trims, but I look forward to that day.

Vanilla
March 5th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Did she cut your hair while it was wet? I find that I almost always have more splits in my hair after a trim if they don't cut it dry.

OleanderTime
March 5th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Hmm interesting. She did cut it set, though I've never experienced a dry trim in a salon. I thought that was only advised on curls. I wonder if they would balk if I requested dry in the future.

Madora
March 5th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Perhaps the shears were not as sharp as they should have been?

bunzfan
March 6th, 2014, 02:25 AM
I'm wondering if you could give yourself a teeny micro trim to be rid of any splits caused.

Stray_mind
March 6th, 2014, 03:43 AM
I think you could do a dusting if the splits are only at your ends. I suppose it could've been that the scissors were not sharp enough.

fairylover46
March 18th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I went a year or so without a trim. I trimmed 1/2 inch just to even things up and now I am getting splits like crazy. I used a pair of haircutting scissors I have had for almost twenty years. I am thinking the scissors caused it, as I never had a problem with splits before. I am going to Sally's Thursday, can anyone recommend a certain type or brand of scissors I should invest in? I am a few inches below BCL aiming for ankle/floor length and these splits iare really making me nervous. Thanks for any advice ya'll can give.

swearnsue
March 18th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Your hair is long enough for self trims. I've been trimming my own since a little past shoulder. Before that Hubby helped.

I just trimmed 1/2 inch and I did a pretty darn good job if I say so myself! Think of the money you will save. Good scissors cost about $20.

endlessly
March 18th, 2014, 08:09 PM
I would have to agree with most of the comments so far - the scissors sound like they are definitely to blame. As much as you probably don't want to lose any more length, you will have to go through and trim again to be rid of the splits. Best of luck!

Anje
March 18th, 2014, 08:37 PM
The most telling thing would be if the splits are all right at your hemline. If you're like me, the sporadic splits are as or more likely to be up in the length of the hair, rather than concentrated right on the bottom.

fairylover46
March 18th, 2014, 08:58 PM
The splits are almost all at the hemline. So I think the culprit is my old scissors. I have not been to a salon in nine years and have always self trimmed in that time frame. I literally never had splits til the past month or so. I guess my scissors are just too old to use anymore. I think me and Oleander are in the same boat and just need to invest in new scissors. Thanks to all for the sound advice. And Oleander, hang in there, happy growing, and your hair is beautiful.

Wosie
March 19th, 2014, 05:34 AM
Oh, this happened to me when I went to a high-end hair salon in town ~three years ago. I got a haircut I didn't really want, first and foremostly, and after a short while of having it I noticed a bunch of white dots on virtually every strand in the longer sections of the 'do. I'm pretty sure she used a razor for these parts, and I guess the razor wasn't blunt enough.

Did she cut layers for you? If not, just like bunzfan wrote, a tiny microtrim on just the ends is a good idea. Also, I think your length is suitable for self-trimming! My hair is as long as yours, and it works just fine. :)