PDA

View Full Version : Is Hendigo Out of Favour These Days?

Darscilla
March 5th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Hello all! Long time member, infrequent poster ;)

Please may I have some hendigo advice? Long story short, yesterday I used Colour B4 to remove chemical black dye so that I could go to a less harsh brunette shade. I have been left with a slightly bleached out version of the two layers of henna that were on my hair prior to the black dye, so a medium coppery colour. I was intending in the next few days to hendigo over this, probably 50:50 henna/indigo, and have been searching around the forum looking for tips and inspiration.

And now I am terrified!

I'm sure I always read great things about hendigo before! But all I've been reading is how it is either going to fade out and leave me orange, turn khaki, or stick too well and leave me jet black. That is is an unholy pain and to never start using it. That even if I do roots only the colour will build up and get darker and unnatural-looking.

I used to do a 2 step henna/indigo to get black when I had long hair, and yes, it was a lot of work, which is why I cut it off and used box dye this last time. But I am quite happy to do a single step hendigo now I don't want jet black anymore.

So what's happened? Where have all the happy hendigo-heads gone? Has experience proved that hendigo is not so great after all, and LHC says NO now?

If I go ahead and plunge for hendigo, am I going to have colour build up even if I do roots only? Will the new growth blend? What ratio/recipe should I look at? And would a lower lawsone content henna like Jamilla, or stronger Yemeni type be better?

Freaking out here! I don't want this copper colour for many more days, but I really don't want to dump another box dye over it, I want to go back to herbal hair colour. Straight henna is a bit iffy with my skin tone. I've looked at Elumen etc. but it seems a bit too expensive for my liking.

I am aware that hendigo is very permanent for most folks, and shouldn't be undertaken lightly. I just want a nice, rich brunette with no chemicals!

Any advice or suggestions are very much appreciated! xxx

duchess67
March 5th, 2014, 02:36 PM
I don't know much about henndigo, but what I did the last three times was henndigo. Since my hair is dark (not jet black) I had used 50:50 of henna/indigo. Didn't turn my hair black which was good. What I found is indigo washes out/fades when we shampoo, and my hair colour became lighter. I usually have to henna once every 3 weeks at the most. Last time I concentrated on the roots, there was a lot left so I smothered it all over the length as well.

I did mix a tablespoon of amla and bhringraj to the henna mixture to get brownish tone instead of the reddish tone. Also added essential oils and other oils to the mix.

jeanniet
March 5th, 2014, 02:37 PM
If you've done two-step in the past and know that hendigo works for you, then I don't see why one-step shouldn't work just as well, and be a lot less work. IME, if indigo isn't going to stick for you, it doesn't stick no matter how you use it, and seems the reverse is true as well. I can't really answer your other questions, sorry. I couldn't get it to stick for anything, so I don't know how it would be over time. I don't think you'll have color build up if you do roots-only, but I'm not sure about the demarcation line. It shouldn't be obvious, but that doesn't mean there won't be one.

Darscilla
March 5th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Oh, thank you for the replies! Can you tell I'm panicking?! lol

My hair is only pixie length, and the copper shade I have now is about the same level as my natural mousy brown, so I'm not too worried that there will be a problem getting future regrowth to match. I was thinking about applying shea butter to my ends before I do my roots in future, to stop it soaking up too much indigo and going black.

I was just shocked to see so much hate for indigo since the last time I used it and followed the advice on this board. Was starting to wonder if you all know something I don't!

Anje
March 5th, 2014, 03:29 PM
I think it's just that indigo is problematic in that it often fades when you don't want it to and doesn't fade when you do. That and people will try to remove it with bleach, which gives funky results.

Lately, I've been on a kick of suggesting people look at dyes such as Adore. It's like Manic Panic in that it won't cause damage and doesn't have anything particularly nasty in it, and if you're picky about the shade you want, you've got a bit more selection without having to do intensive strand-testing first.

SkyChild
March 5th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I've used hendigo before. It covers temporary colours and my natural colour well (turning them a nice glossy dark brown) but turns my bleached sections an odd greenish-grey colour.
It seems to stick and stick until I cut it out. Try a strand test first!

I've only ever used Lush's Caca brun and caca noir.

Darscilla
March 5th, 2014, 04:06 PM
That Adore looks interesting... I wonder how long it would last with daily washing? Edit: oh, it says 8-10 washes... I really don't want to have to dye every week.. :(

Lush's hennas put me off a bit as I never think you can tell how much henna to indigo you are getting, but yes, I really should strand test! Am I going to? Probably not! #lazybones

Anje
March 5th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Heh, maybe if you leave it on for 15 minutes. I put some in in January (for 3 hours :lol:) and my hair's still a bit purple. Not the eggplant shade I had it initially, but it hasn't faded back to auburn yet.

Darscilla
March 5th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Oh, that's worth bearing in mind, then! :lol:

I suppose what I'm asking is, do the cons of indigo outweigh the pros? Do you think more people have problems with it than are happy? Is it so unpredictable as to make inadvisable? Ponder, ponder...

I've just rewashed my hair with my usual products and my hair has darkened back up slightly to the point where the copper is not... unbearable. I'm quite surprised considering how cool my colouring is. When I hennaed, I was using Yemeni in 8 hour full head sessions because I was convinced I must have a cool shade of red. Perhaps a lighter, warmer henna might not be so bad instead? I know my natural (cool) colour makes me look ghastly, so maybe I'm just peculiar in general!

Not going to rush into anything, anyway (famous last words)!

~Abi~
March 5th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Well...the two times I've hennaed (one was this morning actually), I've included indigo in the mix. My hair's naturally a medium brown, slightly mousy, with a few blond streaks in the front hairline. I used 50% henna, 30% coffee and 20% indigo (and then freaked out right before mixing the indigo in with the henna and didn't add all of it...so it ended up being closer to 15%) and got a very nice auburn out of it. My hair did "fade" over a month, but it actually started looking less red/more warm brunette than coppery. I guess the indigo held on just fine with me. I can't speak to the color building up since I've only done henna/coffee/indigo twice, but I really can't see how the color would build up if you only did the roots.

jeanniet
March 5th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I don't think it's unpredictable, really, and I really don't think there's hate for it per se. It seems that many people try it without bearing in mind that it can be permanent, and can't be bleached out (also true of henna at times). If you don't work within the perameters of what something is, and then don't like the outcome, that's not really the fault of the product. But it does fade for many people, and that's definitely reason for dissatisfaction. However, if it works, it works, and it sounds like it worked for you in the past.

DweamGoiL
March 5th, 2014, 08:09 PM
I have henndigoed 3-4 consecutive times and love it. I have played with the proportions for a bit and found that the perfect mix for me is 25% Indigo 50% Rajasthani Henna and 25% Red Raj. For some reason mixing the 2 hennas and the Indigo gives me the right amount of brown with minimal fading over the month. I do need to do my temples at least every month because I do try to cover my greys. I have done my whole head each time. I know it is not advisable, but until I got the proportions perfectly right, I didn't want to try to just do the roots, but I think moving forward I can do just that.

This is my color a week or two after it was due:

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/dweamgoil/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0ca098a4.jpg (http://s987.photobucket.com/user/dweamgoil/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0ca098a4.jpg.html)

bunnylake
March 5th, 2014, 09:00 PM
I just used indigo with my henna for the first time last week and I had a positive experience. I used roughly 30% indigo to 70% Rajasthani henna with about a tablespoon worth of amla. My hair is now a dark chocolatey brown that shine red under the sun. Previously my hair would shine too orangey for my liking, which is why I decided to try indigo.
It also smelled a little less harsh and was easier to rinse out and my hair wasn't quite as dry afterward, which is odd because I think I remember reading most people say the opposite!

Synnovea
March 5th, 2014, 09:24 PM
I've hendigoed twice now over my previously hennaed hair, and I love it. I have naturally medium to dark brunette hair, but I wanted it even darker--one level before black--and a mixture of 75% indigo and 25% henna in a one-step, achieved that.

Mine seems to fade to my natural color over time, but I don't mind because I like my natural color, too, and this way I feel less committed. Hendigo isn't as scary for me as it may be to some because I won't use chemical dyes, so I don't run the risk of crazy colors or extreme damage by trying to remove it.

Chromis
March 5th, 2014, 09:34 PM
You probably don't see as many posters because not as many people are trying hendigo at the moment for whatever reason. Many people don't post as much about their routines once they have settled into them. :flower:

I have only done two step so far. It does fade for me, but it's never turned green or orange! Instead it fades to a dark brown with faintly red glow in the sun. Just a bit darker than my own colour which was great! I only do henna for the scalp and thickening, not to get red hair. The colour is just a side effect for me. Lately I have done just henna since I have to mail order the indigo and the shipping became more expensive when I moved countries! This last time though I used henna with amla and cassia and am super hooked so it looks like I am back to mail order since I can only find the henna locally and nothing else. I will likely be getting indigo too just to make it a touch darker, but that combo did give me a result much closer to brown.

jeanniet
March 5th, 2014, 09:41 PM
I don't think it's unpredictable, really, and I really don't think there's hate for it per se. It seems that many people try it without bearing in mind that it can be permanent, and can't be bleached out (also true of henna at times). If you don't work within the perameters of what something is, and then don't like the outcome, that's not really the fault of the product. But it does fade for many people, and that's definitely reason for dissatisfaction. However, if it works, it works, and it sounds like it worked for you in the past.

Errr...just to be clear, I mean that indigo isn't unpredictible in the sense that your results will be consistent over time. But results aren't always the same for everyone.

Micayla47
March 5th, 2014, 09:44 PM
I've henndigoed twice and was happy with it both times. I can't tell you if it faded because I use henna nowadays. I've also used Clairol Beautiful, which you can find at Sallys or any beauty supply store. No peroxide or amonia. The bottle says it's temporary, but I used it on myself and my mom to cover grays and it seems to be permanent.

maborosi
March 5th, 2014, 09:51 PM
I've done 2 step henna/indigo processes before, and for me, it was that it faded weirdly (and was completely permanent) and was too cool-toned for me. Not indigo's fault- it yields very nice results. I would do my hair, then get weird spots where the indigo would fade right off and the henna would shine through. I'd have red patches. I never found a way to remedy that.

~maborosi~

Darscilla
March 6th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Thank you for all the replies! And some very lovely hendigo heads you all have too!

Overnight, my hair has oxidized back to the henna shade I had on under the black dye, and... I really like it! It is much nicer than I remember and suits me better than I thought. SO, holding off on the indigo for a while, because if it does go wrong, there's no turning back. Seeing as I'm not 100% sure that's what I want, I think it would be very silly to risk it at the moment. I will try one of the brunette shades of Adore to see if I like it first if I decide the henna isn't for me after all once I've lived with it again for a while.

Nice to hear and see that indigo has worked well for some of you at least! :flower:

LAG93
March 11th, 2014, 03:33 PM
I used to do a henndigo gloss on my hair. It was perfect for me the first time, the second time it turned way too purpley. I went to the hairdressers, (onei trust) and she got the purple tones out but it is now way more red than I want, I just want my old, virgin hair back! I regret the henndigo completely. I should have just done cassia to give effects of henna and maybe enhance my natural blondette color. oh well.

I would just advise you think about it! you may want that color but realize once you have it it doesn't suit your skin tone

queenieheather
March 13th, 2014, 02:35 AM
I use the lush henna(marron and rouge) and I have been for about 10 years. Here is a pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/afairytalelife/DSC00932.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/afairytalelife/media/DSC00932.jpg.html)