PDA

View Full Version : How to curl hair

cdonald2
March 5th, 2014, 02:10 AM
I have a wedding coming up in April, i found an updo i like and that should be pretty achievable to do. However, i need to curl my hair for it. I am trying to go cone free so heat protectents are almost completely out of the question for me. If i did the napkin test would it be okay to curl my hair without heat protectent?

(the napkin test is apparently putting a napkin or paper towel in a fully heated curling iron to see if it singes. If it doesnt its supposed to be not very damaging.)

If anyone has any good updos for short, layered hair, that dont use curls or heat it would be appreciated. ( i cant do a french twist yet due to my hair in front being shorter)

Verdandi
March 5th, 2014, 03:29 AM
I would try a heat free curling method in advance, like rag curls, pin curls (a favourite of mine when I was at your length) or foam rollers and see if those would work.

Otherwise, go ahead and use the iron (but use the heat protector, you can clarify afterwards and get the cones out if they worry you) it's a special occasion and not an every day habit :)

Rio040113
March 5th, 2014, 05:49 AM
I would try a heat free curling method in advance, like rag curls, pin curls (a favourite of mine when I was at your length) or foam rollers and see if those would work.

Otherwise, go ahead and use the iron (but use the heat protector, you can clarify afterwards and get the cones out if they worry you) it's a special occasion and not an every day habit :)

I agree with Verdandi :) Also another heat free option is flexi rods, they're super cheap and there are plenty of tutorials on youtube!

BrendaLoan
March 5th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Have you ever tried the headband method for curling your hair? Works great on short and layered hair

Larki
March 5th, 2014, 08:29 AM
There's also cocoon curls, my personal favorite. :)

browneyedsusan
March 5th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Pincurls!
I've got a few fuzzy photos in my album of a pincurl set and how it brushed out.
It takes practice (mine didn't come out great the first few attempts, but I'm stubborn and kept at it) and the results are very nice--last for a couple of days even after you sleep on them!
Here is the tutorial I used: link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKVFr-NtIM) She talks a LOT, but it's informative, and she covers all the common mistakes. Her hair is shorter in the back, but she works around it. Yours looks like the perfect length for pincurling!

Jessleigh
March 5th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Flexirods are great. You can use the smaller ones for tight curls, or go bigger for looser curls.

Anje
March 5th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Honestly, for a special occasion I'd break out the silicones if you might end up using heat. It's not going to ruin a generally silicone-free routine to use them when the situation requires it.

Stormynights
March 5th, 2014, 10:58 AM
You could probably do the french twist by pulling the shorter hair up instead of back. You have time to play with your hair and see what will work for you. For curls you might try twisting the hair and then rolling on sponge rollers. It is hard to know what your hair will do until you try.

cdonald2
March 5th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Wow thanks everyone :) very helpful also, never heard of the headband method before or cocoon curls