PDA

View Full Version : Tiny knots forming everyday- time to trim?

Browneyedbelle9
March 4th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Hey guys *waves*

Because I'm going to the Queensland in November, I was trying to grow my hair all year and then next year trim it frequently like I did last year.

But everyday my hair is getting caught on everything, the ends are all sorts of splits y's t's etc.

And the worst part is a little brown/black (I have dark hair) forms at the ends of my hair and it's generally double knoted in some way.

Do you think it's time for my 'not really trimming' but having half an inch off trim?

Would you be trimming it because of the knots?

*The other reason is- I know this sounds stupid- but to get the 'knot' out I get the end of my sleeper earring and poke it through and undo it- but there's seems to be another tighter knot and it ends being snapped/cut of falls out on it's own?

Does anyone know what to do now? My hair is quite long- about almost past my (erhm nipples-sorry!) but only a small portion *barely BARELY goes over my bra strap.

Thanks guys, I'm glad I have you guys to keep me sane :D

MeowScat
March 4th, 2014, 12:37 AM
That was one of the worst lengths for splits and white dots and knots for me. Do you wear your hair up everyday and night? If not, start doing it.

If I were you, I'd S&D and see how that goes. If you still keep getting those knots, it might be time for a trim. But you can always start out with a dusting / micro trim. Is your hair moisturized enough? If your conditioner is cone free, you might want to try cones, and vice versa. If you haven't experimented with oils, now is a good time to give them a shot. Mineral Oil has helped me with tangles. Only about 2 drops can do a lot and help seal in moisture on damp hair.

Get on YouTube to learn different updo's for your length. Bunning absolutely saved my hair and got me through annoying lengths.

Browneyedbelle9
March 4th, 2014, 12:41 AM
Thank you Meowscat- I really appreciate the advice- when I was about 15 my hair was longer and I used to wear it in a ponytail every night- I think I will have to go back to do that.

I never wear my hair up at all.

And with oil- morocon works a treat when I straighten but not my wavy ends when dry- not sure how to get the best out of that

tlover
March 4th, 2014, 12:57 AM
I wouldn'twear my hair in a pony if I were you.

or maybe sometimes if you have good metalfree ties but if you don't you'll probebly couse more harm then wearing it down (the hair gets splits and breaks around the tie).

I made the mistake of wearing my hair in a tie every day until I got to LHC and I have "layers" becouse of the tie.

tigereye
March 4th, 2014, 01:04 AM
Thank you Meowscat- I really appreciate the advice- when I was about 15 my hair was longer and I used to wear it in a ponytail every night- I think I will have to go back to do that.

I never wear my hair up at all.

And with oil- morocon works a treat when I straighten but not my wavy ends when dry- not sure how to get the best out of that

Just be wary about ponytail breakage. It's the only reason I ended up with bangs was because it started out as a section of ponytail breakage in high-school. People actually thought I had them cut in, and that was with no-metal hair ties.
I'd rather wear my hair loose than in a ponytail at night any day. I'd probably end up with breakage on one side if I did that, even with my silk pillow, because I sleep on my side, on one arm. Just my 2 cents. But most of the year I braid it. If your hair is long enough to ponytail, it's probably long enough to braid.
I'd suggest finding updos to wear too. My hair is fairly sturdy, but even so, buns have made a massive difference to my hair. I'm at BCL for the first time now. Back before I gained my love for buns, my hair tended to hover around waist because of the constant damage of ponytails. (Though I was never one for wearing it completely down)

tlover
March 4th, 2014, 01:06 AM
Oh I got my "layers" from a non metal tie too

Ingrid
March 4th, 2014, 01:14 AM
I had the same problem - a good S&D session fixed it and I didn't lose my length. And updos help a lot, definitely!

spidermom
March 4th, 2014, 06:53 AM
I'd get the trim if it were my hair.

CurlyCap
March 4th, 2014, 07:38 AM
My hair rarely splis, but easily knots near trim time.

A 1/2 inch trim won't set you back much, and it'll prevent lots of unnecessary breakage.

GoddesJourney
March 4th, 2014, 08:52 AM
At that length I had to wear it up more because it starts rubbing against chairs and getting caught in straps and seat belts. Anyway, maybe S&D for a week and see if it helps. If not, trim a half inch and forget about it.

I would like to add to the no ponytail thing. I made mini silk scrunchies with super strong elastic because I'm not able to or braid at this length. They normal hair ties are rough in texture and the glue on the non metal ones will still cause breakage at least on my hair.

Firefox7275
March 4th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Another vote for ponytails cause or contribute to breakage. I wore one 24/7 for years and had breakage all around the hairline and at the back where the (all fabric no snag) band sat. I still dye but grew out the breakage - even loose hair seems to be gentler than a daily ponytail (not recommending it over up dos, just making a comparison).

Madora
March 4th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Get a slight trim then keep your hair up to protect the ends. You might like to try this easy double strand lace accent crown braid by Lillith Moon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Anje
March 4th, 2014, 10:54 AM
The products you use can sometimes contribute to knots, too. Not that it gets you out of perhaps needing a trim, but I know I find that when I use silicones (particularly serums), I quickly see an increase in the single-stranded knot population.