PDA

View Full Version : My hair looks healthy but I have split ends

susieq998
March 3rd, 2014, 04:09 PM
I just got 2 inches trimmed off 2 weeks ago and I'm already noticing split ends in my hair. I dont really get it my hair looks really healthy but up close you definitely see them. Theres not a whole lot since i just had a haircut but still its only been 2 weeks since and they are already starting to return. I constantly have this problem with my ends yet anyone else would say my hair looks really healthy. Search and destroy just doesn't work for me I get to many splits, i would constantly be cutting them. My hair is just to fine and split end prone.This happens even though i don't use heat I wear protective hairstyles protect hair at night and from the sun. Use gentle shampoos and deep condition at least 1 time every week. And trim my hair every couple months. I take very good care of my hair especially since I'm trying to grow it out So why does this happens i barely even mess with it unless I wash it? I brush or comb twice a day once in the morning and once at night and leave it up all day. What can I do any tips or suggestions?

ExpectoPatronum
March 3rd, 2014, 04:12 PM
Did you do anything to damage your hair in the past? For example, did you dye it or use hot tools on it regularly? It could be past damage that hasn't grown out just yet. The same thing was happening to me until I grew out all the past damage.

ravenreed
March 3rd, 2014, 04:13 PM
What do you mean by gentle shampoos? I have a difficult time with non-sls shampoos drying out my hair and giving me split ends. I have far fewer splits since I switched to CO method and I also regularly use catnip rinses as a leave in.

Madora
March 3rd, 2014, 04:14 PM
You might want to investigate catnip rinses for splits:
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2009/11/part-3-of-4-on-innovative-approaches-to.html

Kherome
March 3rd, 2014, 04:16 PM
I third catnip.

susieq998
March 3rd, 2014, 04:23 PM
Did you do anything to damage your hair in the past? For example, did you dye it or use hot tools on it regularly? It could be past damage that hasn't grown out just yet. The same thing was happening to me until I grew out all the past damage.\

Yeah around 17-18 months ago I bleached it and had to color twice after that to get the correct color, But I've already cut so much off I don't think its from that. I have been extremely gentle ever since then . I haven't colored, used any heat, I don't even use hair bands anymore. Only claw clips and sometimes scrunchies. But it seems no matter what I do I just have them. My hair is fine so I suspect that's the reason I get them so easily. I use Giovanni shampoo and conditioner (smooth as silk) as well as a clarifying shampoo once or twice a week whenever needed since i do use a leave in with cones. which i need or my hair tangles to much.

susieq998
March 3rd, 2014, 04:28 PM
how do you do a capnip rinse?

lapushka
March 3rd, 2014, 04:34 PM
\

Yeah around 17-18 months ago I bleached it and had to color twice after that to get the correct color, But I've already cut so much off I don't think its from that. I have been extremely gentle ever since then . I haven't colored, used any heat, I don't even use hair bands anymore. Only claw clips and sometimes scrunchies. But it seems no matter what I do I just have them. My hair is fine so I suspect that's the reason I get them so easily. I use Giovanni shampoo and conditioner (smooth as silk) as well as a clarifying shampoo once or twice a week whenever needed since i do use a leave in with cones. which i need or my hair tangles to much.

Bleach got everywhere, that means all the hair on your head now... is damaged. Meaning: it all has to grow out, and if you continue to bleach and dye, then it will continuously get damaged more easily than normal. The key is to S&D regularly or trim regularly if you want to keep it "healthy".

Madora
March 3rd, 2014, 04:55 PM
See my link above...post #4.

Firefox7275
March 3rd, 2014, 04:57 PM
If you have old dye damage that is likely your problem and will be until you cut it all out. Good care reduces or slows further damage it does not reverse damage or permanently repair hair since it is dead. Most intensive conditioners are largely cosmetic, you can weaken hair by leaving it wet too long so don't overuse these.

Proven beneficial ingredients for damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. You are clarifying way too often at once or twice a week - cut back on the silicones if they are building up that badly. Some of the treatment ingredients I list aid slip/ detangling as do the behentrimoniums.

walterSCAN
March 3rd, 2014, 05:41 PM
(all bolding mine)

\

Bleach got everywhere, that means all the hair on your head now... is damaged. Meaning: it all has to grow out, and if you continue to bleach and dye, then it will continuously get damaged more easily than normal. The key is to S&D regularly or trim regularly if you want to keep it "healthy".

Assuming average growth rate, 17-18 months = 8.5-9 inches of hair, and your stats say you started at 15.5 inches. Are you sure you've really cut off that much hair since bleaching? Not sure how long it was when you bleached, but assuming 15.5 inches, you'd be left with around 6.5-7 inches of hair. Of course, that'll vary a bit with your individual growth rate. You have to get rid of every centimeter that had the bleach on it before you get past the damaged hair that is more prone to splitting. Previously bleached ends are a weak spot in the hair and have even been known to let splits travel up into healthier, bleach-free hair.

If you have old dye damage that is likely your problem and will be until you cut it all out. Good care reduces or slows further damage it does not reverse damage or permanently repair hair since it is dead. Most intensive conditioners are largely cosmetic, you can weaken hair by leaving it wet too long so don't overuse these.

Proven beneficial ingredients for damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. You are clarifying way too often at once or twice a week - cut back on the silicones if they are building up that badly. Some of the treatment ingredients I list aid slip/ detangling as do the behentrimoniums.

I definitely agree with Firefox on the bolded above. I assume you're washing daily? Even so, that's a lot of clarifying. Try to make sure you're waiting until you actually notice buildup before you clarify, and if you really are getting buildup that fast, then I'd lay off the 'cones a bit.

You don't say how you are wearing your hair to sleep-- those of us with fine hair frequently need to protect our hair at all times, even when we're asleep, to avoid damage. Have you tried a silky pillowcase or sleep bonnet? Do you wear your hair loose, braided, up? Even though I always keep my hair braided at night, I used to get the majority of my damage while sleeping before I switched to a silky pillowcase. Just some things to think about.

susieq998
March 3rd, 2014, 08:14 PM
So is it still possible for me to grow longer at this point or would it be better to maintain at this point so I can get rid of damage?

PamelaViktoria
March 3rd, 2014, 08:32 PM
Is that part of the hair from old blow drying days? I've heard the illustration that cooked hair from heat is like cooked eggs. The structure changes, and the bonds unravel. It also doesn't hold moisture the same way it does when it's in it's original state.
My hair has old highlights from bleach. It always looks shiny, but those ends split easily...

Firefox7275
March 3rd, 2014, 09:05 PM
So is it still possible for me to grow longer at this point or would it be better to maintain at this point so I can get rid of damage?

Splitting and breaking is severe/ terminal damage or 'fried' hair, there is no way back from it. If you can stop or massively reduce the level of visible damage with hydrolysed protein and coconut oil, say, you can grow on. If it continues to split or break you should maintain or even cut back.

How much of your hair is tangly without piles of silicones just regular conditioning? This can be an indication of how high up the damage is, and is a risk for damaged hair catching on and damaging healthy hair higher up.

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 10:15 PM

I agree with this. Even though you stopped being bad to hair..the bleach is still in the hair that is a little below ears.
Is that the part splitting? That hair is getting "older" and has been through more, so considering it was bleached and colored a few times..that combined with age and daily wear and tear is just weaker hair expressing itself. As you keep trimming it off you will find the natural hair growing to replace it will be in better condition. I think you will find once the bleach is cut away the hair that grows long will be able withstand more natural wear and tear and you will not have same issues.

restless
March 3rd, 2014, 10:29 PM

When I started growing my fine hair a couple of years ago it was a heavily layered shoulder length cut that I had damaged with hair spray, heat, daily washing, teasing and several layers of black dye. Add some bleached high lights too, as I had those done to soften up the dermacation line when I decided to grow out the dye. Im not exaggerating when I say that my hair was a fragile split mess. However I was way too attached to my hair so I didnt have the heart to cut off everything and start anew. Instead I stopped with all the damaging things (except daily washing- I still do those) and started to baby my hair.

To me and my hair, the shoulder --> APL-area is a long, awkward stage so I didnt want to stall there. I grew my hair but microtrimmed away a centimeter every now and then and inbetween I did S&D to get rid of the splits and bent ends. Im now at hip lenght. Its been a long road and the last centimeters of my hair is still hair that was previously abused. The quality however has gotten way better due to the oiling (my fave is coconut) and general kindness, but the damage is still there and I can tell that hair is more fragile. Damaged hair cant be brought back to what it once was but it can definitly get better.

Ok, I wrote a novel there but what Im trying to say is that its possible to continue gaining length even if the starting point isnt the best :) If you want to continue with the growing, give it a try and youŽll see how it goes. If if doesnt work it doesnt work, but then at least youŽll know youŽve tried.

susieq998
March 3rd, 2014, 11:26 PM
I agree with this. Even though you stopped being bad to hair..the bleach is still in the hair that is a little below ears.
Is that the part splitting? That hair is getting "older" and has been through more, so considering it was bleached and colored a few times..that combined with age and daily wear and tear is just weaker hair expressing itself. As you keep trimming it off you will find the natural hair growing to replace it will be in better condition. I think you will find once the bleach is cut away the hair that grows long will be able withstand more natural wear and tear and you will not have same issues.

My hair is layered kind of like yours but a little bit longer maybe. Most of the split ends are on the layers, sucks because i got the layers to remove split ends my hemline hold up pretty good compared to the layered parts. Is this a problem for layered hair in general? But i do notice that with every trim the ends look much better as well as thicker.

~honeyflower~
March 3rd, 2014, 11:51 PM
Just a little reminder, never cut strands at a diagonal, you always want to cut straight across with sharp scissors.

ErinLeigh
March 4th, 2014, 01:06 AM
Susie, It is a problem for my layered hair for sure. My layered pieces struggle where the the hemline is actually fine. Its a issue when trying to decide how to trim as I want the layers trimmed to remove the damage..but then they wont grow if I do. Meanwhile I hate chopping off the bottom as that seems the only healthy part of my hair. It is very frustrating.
I added the layers to help cut away damage quicker and it is a decision I regret.

I will agree with restless. My hair was terribly damaged and through extra care I have been able to salvage it and make it look and feel nice. (somehow the ends feel better than the layers as said above however :/) It took about a month before seeing results but oilings, deep treatments, satin pillowcases, protein/moisture balance addressed, the right conditioning ingredients etc really helped not only mask the damage..but stop my hair from snapping off. I finally have my breakage under control and do not have splits currently. My hair is only at CBL however. I do not know how it would fare at a longer length.

I really wish you well in figuring out how to reduce the split ends. It a royal pain it is having hair not cooperate when you are working so hard at trying to be nice to it.

Firefox7275
March 4th, 2014, 09:13 AM
My hair is layered kind of like yours but a little bit longer maybe. Most of the split ends are on the layers, sucks because i got the layers to remove split ends my hemline hold up pretty good compared to the layered parts. Is this a problem for layered hair in general? But i do notice that with every trim the ends look much better as well as thicker.

Even with long layers the underneath is often shorter and therefore younger hair than the canopy. Underlayers often take less abuse or are better protected: not exposed to sun, wind, power shower beating down, rubbing on winter hats, extra brushing because its visible etc. obviously this varies from person to person depending on their lifestyle and hair habits.

bunzfan
March 4th, 2014, 10:40 AM
I've found not brushing as much and using a wide toothed wooden comb has helped alot I'm also growing out past bleach damage.. Regular treatments and s and d'ing has helped so much so I haven't seen any in weeks.. Also make sure any scissors that you use for s and d'ing are used just for hair and are really sharp.

Anje
March 4th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Just another thought, since you've gotten a lot of good stuff already -- if the scissors used to trim your hair were dull, it can encourage splits all along the newly cut ends. They need to be sharp! Splits in layers are harder. You can pretty much S&D them, or get someone who knows how to section hair for haircuts find the right angles for the cut you had last so they can trim the layers as layers.