PDA

View Full Version : "Functional" Goals and Milestones

Slug Yoga
September 12th, 2008, 12:37 PM
We have a lot of posts and threads about our goal lengths--dreaming of them, changing them, reaching them, etc.--but I have a bunch of hair goals that are more about how my hair will behave "in use" than about how many inches it is, or how far down it reaches.

Like I look forward to having a braid that can hang all the way over my shoulder onto my chest and stay there, as opposed to sort of perching on my shoulder like it does now.

I look forward to making buns and updos where shorter fluffy bits don't stick out of the coils, and so on.

Or when my hair was shorter, I looked forward to being able to pull it all back, without loose bits sliding into my face.

What are your "functional" hair goals, or milestones you were happy to reach?

chrissy-b
September 12th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I look forward to not having to use commercial products. Right now my hair is all different kinds of lengths due to tons of new growth and layers. I've tried a bunch of natural suggestions for taming and styling my hair but none seem to hold for as long as I need them too so I still have to use a little alcohol-free hairspray and a little styling paste to get my hair to behave. I'm hoping once it's all one length natural remedies will suffice.

Also, I can't wait to be able to make a braid without all the little short hairs sticking out all over the place. I don't care how long it is, just would love to make a braid that looks decent.

1nuitblanche
September 12th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I'm looking forward to (hopefully) the short hairs around my face getting long enough to go back into an updo. I'm also looking forward to being able to have a braid without (bunches of) little hairs sticking out (even if it's with a long tassle). Another thing I'm looking forward to is having enough hair that a bun looks consistently solid or substantial, not just sometimes, depending on how I twist it and got it up.

DragonLady
September 12th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Crown braids! Of course, first I have to really master regular braids. I can do a decent English one now, but every attempt at a French one has resulted in a tangled mess. But I imagine myself with crown braids, and get all tingly inside. Someday.... :)

Reptilia
September 12th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Pretty much the same as yours. Being able to pull ALL my hair back!

I also want to be able to have a bun or a braid without a bunch of little hairs sticking out all over the place.

This won't take much longer, but for my bangs to be long enough to tuck behind my ear.

Merkaba
September 12th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Growing out my layers would definately allow me to have more flattering updos, and get the hair off my neck on the underneath (they are shoulder length).

Akiko
September 12th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I have lots of breakage all over the back of my head due to rough handling over the years. I did not know my hair care habits were so bad until I came to this board.

So I am making every effort to grow healthy hair no. My goal is to have nice shiny healthy hair. It does not need to be so long. I don't think I have the patience to take care of very long hair, although I like it.

Sometimes, I think my current length is just what I need.

Isilme
September 12th, 2008, 01:13 PM
being able to wrap a single braid around my head and have it look good and have enought tassel to fasten it. And, a three clover bun would be very very nice too:)

anna1850
September 12th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I'd like to be able to do a fake crown braid (like Yulia Tymoshenko) which I think I'll need to be at least TB, maybe classic to do.

To be honest, I can't really think of many functional goals when your hair gets beyond about BSL. I mean, you can want hair so long you can sit on it/accidentally tuck it into your pants/have someone else sit on it by accident but none of these are very useful functions :p

Euphony
September 12th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I'll be so thrilled when/if my hair ever gets long enough that it all stays behind me instead of falling forward over my shoulders and then totally covering my face when it's down.

Islandgrrl
September 12th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I look forward to sitting upon my braid.

lora410
September 12th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I was happy to see my hair finally sit over my shoulder.
I was happy when finally I can do a braid with out 1k tiny layers poking out.

And I will be happy when I feel my hair against my waist and arms :D

florenonite
September 12th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Being able to do more buns than just a basic cinnabun with it.

Having an actual cinnamon rather than doughnut in my cinnabun.

Pushing it behind my shoulders when I'm reading and having it stay there.

Doing an English braid without the front bits falling out.

Xi
September 12th, 2008, 02:22 PM

That always was my goal too -- my genes seem to be failing me, however.:(

ClareDee
September 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I really want to have hair long enough that I can do most types of bun. French twist, celtic bun, chinese bun... *wishful sigh*
I'm figuring I'll be able to do most of these when my hair is maybe a little past BSL? :shrug: I'll maintain at that length, whatever it may be.

I'm not going for extreme lengths; I have no personal desire to sit on my hair (as impressive as that would be) - I just want a fun and versatile length, sufficiently long for me to justify a decent hairtoy collection (which has already commenced) :eyebrows:

Tabitha
September 12th, 2008, 02:50 PM
My biggest functional goal was to be able to do the Karen Lynn knot. I've only been able to do it in the last few months as my hair approached waist length (nearly there - in fact if my hair is wet and I pull it, I am at waist - but that's cheating isn't it :wink:).

I once managed a figure 8 bun a few months ago but that has proved to be a total fluke, so that's my next functional goal - to achieve a stable, smooth-looking figure 8.

I'd love a waist-length braid but in reality I don't think I have the patience to deal with hair that long - washing is already a chore for me (will I get drummed out of LHC for saying that? :eek:)

Little_Bird
September 12th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Interesting... I think I don't have any functional goals... I had that one of all my hair staying in the ponytail. That's pretty basic for who grows from very short tough...

Interesting thread :)

Nevermore
September 12th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Currently my "functional" goal is having all my hair stay in an english braid. My old bangs are collarbone length, so they work their way out of my sleep braid. Once they get to be apl, they'll stay much better.

Other than that, I look forward to a braid I can sit on, like Islandgrrl and eventually a braid so long that I'd step on it if I weren't careful.

Arctic_Mama
September 12th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I'd love to make the more elaborate updos with no frizz and bits sticking out, and for my wavy hair to look shiny and healthy, not dry and dull. Even when it looks dry and dull it's in good shape compared to many women, but it's just the natural texture. So when my hair is so supremely healthy that it's own texture can't defeat it looking good I'll be thrilled.

It's not the achievement of length I want so much as the things that go along with that length. I'm going to grow it to a length I like, say classic, and then maintain it there for awhile to grow out the damage and ickiness. THEN I will continue growing the length, once it's been cleaned up, to see how long I can go/how long I like it. But I am not comfortable maintaining it at much shorter than waist because of my practical goals in terms of updo. It can be a little damaged and still good at that length, so in that sense the length matters. But really once it's to an acceptable length the goals are far more about health and beauty of the hair than the length. But I can't protect it and do fun stuff with it when it's so short (ha, most hairdressers think this is long - crazies!).

RoseRedDead
September 12th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I really want to have hair long enough that I can do most types of bun. French twist, celtic bun, chinese bun... *wishful sigh*

For me, this would mean classic. length (which is my non-functional goal anyways). I'd certainly have enough, but perhaps too much...

RavennaNight
September 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'll be so thrilled when/if my hair ever gets long enough that it all stays behind me instead of falling forward over my shoulders and then totally covering my face when it's down.

I second that. I also am waiting for old faceframing layers to grow past BSL. They are at APL. I want them to grow out because they stick out of braids in the middle.

paper
September 13th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I was happy when I could put all my hair up without the sides falling out.
I was happy when my hair touched my shoulders.

I am looking forward to getting rid of rest of my layers and have all 1 length hair.
I am looking forward to being at APL and having all my hair behind me.

BunnyBee
September 13th, 2008, 03:34 PM
My current goal is to be able to secure my hair with one hairstick again. It doesn't really work with layers :(

Melein
September 13th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I want to be able to sit on my hair. :D Not that that's particularly 'functional,' but it's sort of my unofficial goal since I haven't set a proper one yet.

Of course, if/when it gets that long, it'll probably prove annoying very quickly - I was delighted when I first tucked my hair accidentally into the waistband of my skirt. Now I have to remember to move it out of the way or put it up before dressing!

ChatoyantLocks
September 13th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I'm looking forward to having my hair care routine tweaked to the point that I can consistently have nice waves.

I also look forward to having hair long enough that when I sit in a chair, it touches the ground. I'm going to have to wait quite a while for that one though!

ladyshannonanne
September 14th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I'm looking forward to being able to braid my pig tails (my hair do of choice, at the moment) and not have the ends look scraggly. My hair is layered, which I like and intend to keep, but because it's still at the length between shoulder and APL, there's not a whole lot to work with. When I put in my hair in regular piggies, it looks thick and wavy, but when I braid them, they don't look so hot. Realistically, I'm looking at about six months before this happens.

Meli
September 14th, 2008, 01:25 AM
My functional goal is to be able to wrap a single braid around my head. A functional minigoal is to be able to do the crossed-behind-the-nape-version of Heidi braids. Technically, those Heidi braids work already, but as only the last few inches, damaged and extremely tapered, crosses over on the top of my head, I don't think it looks neat at the moment. I don't want to wear it in public until those scraggly parts are gone or at least have grown enough to not be on the top of my head anymore.

A braided infinity bun would be a nice functional goal too - don't know how much length I need for that one.

immortalstar
September 14th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I looked forward so much to being able to just do a ponytail without looking (somehow, when my hair was below BSL this was impossible!).

I can now, and it works quite well in the windy North of Holland.

minkstole
September 14th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Decent heidi-braids

alinakathryn
September 14th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I'm looking froward to enough length that I no longer look like a triangle head with my hair down. I have a bob and it poofs out at the bottom.

And I look forward to being able to put all of my hair up.

AnneAdeline
September 14th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I want to be able to do a single three-strand braid that is waist length. Just something about the simplicity of it.

CurlyNinja
September 14th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I want to have a hip-length single English braid. That look is what first inspired me to actively grow my hair longer in the first place.

nicolezoie
September 14th, 2008, 02:28 PM
All my responses are in relation to my hair.. it may vary person to person depending on thickness, volume, texture, but these seem to be averages... :)

being able to wrap a single braid around my head and have it look good and have enought tassel to fasten it

I'd like to be able to do a fake crown braid (like Yulia Tymoshenko) which I think I'll need to be at least TB, maybe classic to do.

Around classic-mid-thigh length.

Mid-thigh length.

I also look forward to having hair long enough that when I sit in a chair, it touches the ground. I'm going to have to wait quite a while for that one though!

Knee-length.

My functional goal is to be able to wrap a single braid around my head. ... A braided infinity bun would be a nice functional goal too - don't know how much length I need for that one.

Classic-mid-thigh for the around the head braid, and braided infinity bun I'd say maybe the same length - not a 'do I do too often.

I want to be able to do a single three-strand braid that is waist length. Just something about the simplicity of it.

Tailbone length.

I want to have a hip-length single English braid. That look is what first inspired me to actively grow my hair longer in the first place.

Classic-mid-thigh length.

-------------

I hope this gives you some "Functional" outlooks on your goals :)

Slug Yoga
September 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks for that, nicolezoie! Cool to know. I can't believe your hair is ankle-length, wow!

nicolezoie
September 14th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks for that, nicolezoie! Cool to know. I can't believe your hair is ankle-length, wow!

I need to fix that - it's really lower-calf.. 61ish inches.. at its longest at 63" it was upper ankle. :rolleyes:

Solange
September 15th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Indeed, I have no particular urge to grow my hair longer, I just want back the thickness I once had. Mind you, if I do succeed in gaining sufficient thickness, just maybe I would consider trying for ankle length. Unlikely, though.

rhubarbarin
September 15th, 2008, 07:42 AM
My next goal is waist, so - I'm waiting for my front layers to grow long enough that they stay behind my shoulders, and to feel my hair brushing against my upper arms again..

Long term: I look forward to feeling the weight of my hair all down my back. I am also excited to think of my hair resting in my lap when I am sitting down.

Mostly though, I just want all my layers and damage grown out, and to have a normal u-shaped hem. Whether I ultimately end up at waist or at knee, I want healthy, moisturized, virgin hair.

Buddaphlyy
September 16th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I just want to be able to make a bun right now. Once I can do that, then I can think of adding other stuff to make the bun look prettier.

anna1850
September 17th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I thought of another one: I want to put my hair in braided pigtails, hold onto the tassels in each hand and stretch my arms out straight. I'm guessing this will need somewhere between classic and fingertip.

truepeacenik
September 17th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I look forward to being able to hold my braid out of the way with the bend in my knee.