PDA

View Full Version : Only washing the top/greasy part of your head?

threadOfGold
March 3rd, 2014, 02:31 PM
Hi all,
Ive been struggling stretching my washes and there's something about going to school with greasy looking hair that makes me feel nervous- I've been washing every 2 days and by the 2nd day only the crown and front of my hair looks 'greasy' and the rest still looks freshly washed.
i figured tonight that instead of washing all my hair I'd section it off and only shampoo and condition the crown and front area where it would look greasy and left the rest.

I was wondering, does anyone else do this?im not actually washing my whole scalp only two main areas.
who knows!;)

Firefox7275
March 3rd, 2014, 02:37 PM
Run an advanced search on LHC for scalp washes. Others use dry shampoo like Batiste; I wipe the excess off with a soft towel instead of massaging or brushing it in.

meteor
March 3rd, 2014, 02:53 PM
I do something like this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12756
It's really great, and I feel safe using only water or water + vinegar. Some LHC-ers do this with diluted shampoo and it works well, but I worry that miniscule amounts of shampoo may be still left behind.

I'd note that it makes hair "look" clean, but my scalp feels not as perfectly clean as after a proper full wash with shampoo.

And check out LauraLongLock's video for her scalp-only wash technique: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119848

Vetticus
March 3rd, 2014, 03:43 PM
Some days I will only wash my fringe (which is shoulder length). It is something I leaned from my older sisters.

Agnes Hannah
March 4th, 2014, 08:22 AM
I have done this before, but forgotten all about it, thanks for reminding me. I'm about to start a new job which is full time, so this might help me a lot!

LadyCelestina
March 4th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Scalp washing,yep, was pretty popular some time back,but it seems that many don't know they have this option today.The idea just somehow got lost in the graveyard parts of this forum :D

Panth
March 4th, 2014, 03:59 PM
You shouldn't be conditioning your scalp/crown anyway - conditioner is for hair, not scalp (and the first few inches of hair (i.e. ears up) generally get sufficient conditioning from sebum). Equally, you should not need to shampoo your length. The exception is when you chelate or clarify, when you purposely shampoo your length as well as your scalp.

(Scalp-only washing can be good, but if you wet the length it still gets a little damage from hygral fatigue, even if you are not actually "washing" it. One member had a routine where she bent over and made a very loose plait on the top of her head, then clipped that to the shower curtain rail. She was then able to scalp wash without wetting the length. That sounds a bit too fiddly for me, though...)

threadOfGold
March 5th, 2014, 10:38 AM
You shouldn't be conditioning your scalp/crown anyway - conditioner is for hair, not scalp (and the first few inches of hair (i.e. ears up) generally get sufficient conditioning from sebum). Equally, you should not need to shampoo your length. The exception is when you chelate or clarify, when you purposely shampoo your length as well as your scalp.

(Scalp-only washing can be good, but if you wet the length it still gets a little damage from hygral fatigue, even if you are not actually "washing" it. One member had a routine where she bent over and made a very loose plait on the top of her head, then clipped that to the shower curtain rail. She was then able to scalp wash without wetting the length. That sounds a bit too fiddly for me, though...)

Ahh, teach me more! See I've always just assumed you use shampoo And conditioner all over your hair because that's what I've always been taught. I've started using a shampoo bar now which doesn't require conditioner, but if I do use conditioner again I will make sure to use it from the ears and below! Thank you very much!

Scalp washing,yep, was pretty popular some time back,but it seems that many don't know they have this option today.The idea just somehow got lost in the graveyard parts of this forum :D

Seems good to me! Let's bring it back into fashion :o xx

I have done this before, but forgotten all about it, thanks for reminding me. I'm about to start a new job which is full time, so this might help me a lot!

You're welcome! Congratulations and good luck with your new job!

Some days I will only wash my fringe (which is shoulder length). It is something I leaned from my older sisters.

Sisters are the best to learn things from!

queenovnight
March 5th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I thought I was the only one that did this! Lol.

UP Lisa
March 5th, 2014, 10:53 AM
I've been doing this for a long time. I did it this morning, in fact. I only wash all of my hair once a week.

threadOfGold
March 5th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I thought I was the only one that did this! Lol.

Haha! Snap

I've been doing this for a long time. I did it this morning, in fact. I only wash all of my hair once a week.
Wow you're inspiration for doing it, your hair looks beautiful!

I do something like this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12756
It's really great, and I feel safe using only water or water + vinegar. Some LHC-ers do this with diluted shampoo and it works well, but I worry that miniscule amounts of shampoo may be still left behind.

I'd note that it makes hair "look" clean, but my scalp feels not as perfectly clean as after a proper full wash with shampoo.

And check out LauraLongLock's video for her scalp-only wash technique: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119848

Oooh thank you for sharing! There's nothing I love more than learning new hair tips :)

Run an advanced search on LHC for scalp washes. Others use dry shampoo like Batiste; I wipe the excess off with a soft towel instead of massaging or brushing it in.

That sounds good! I will give it a search definitely x

Climber
March 5th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I scalp wash 2-3 times a week, and only wash the length 1-2 times a month. I put my hair in a low braid or bee-butt bun and tie a plastic bag over it when I'm in the shower. Some water leaks through to the length, but not too much.

ErinLeigh
March 5th, 2014, 02:58 PM
LauraLongLocks posted a thread in the mane forum with a video showing how she does a scalp only wash that kept the length mostly dry. I enjoyed it.
You may be able to find it a few pages back.

Off topic: I wonder about advance searches for something someone has a question on. Is it better to read an old thread for info, but post a new one for questions? I only ask because I have seem more than a few people comment on an old thread and there is always a post reply that tells them "this is an old thread" as if it is wrong to resurrect. Does anyone know the proper etiquette?

Panth
March 6th, 2014, 01:23 AM
LauraLongLocks posted a thread in the mane forum with a video showing how she does a scalp only wash that kept the length mostly dry. I enjoyed it.
You may be able to find it a few pages back.

Off topic: I wonder about advance searches for something someone has a question on. Is it better to read an old thread for info, but post a new one for questions? I only ask because I have seem more than a few people comment on an old thread and there is always a post reply that tells them "this is an old thread" as if it is wrong to resurrect. Does anyone know the proper etiquette?

IMO, if the thread is a 'discussion'/'theme' thread (e.g. "The hip to TBL length thread" or something) then no matter how old it is you can resurrect it, because it is obvious that it is an ongoing discussion thread and so people will look at the most recent posts.

If it is a one-off question from more than (hmm...) a month, maybe? I would read the thread but make a new one to ask questions (maybe link to the old thread if you think that helps explain your questions). Basically, the problem is that with one-off threads with titles like "Explain to me what are 'cones?" or "I'm thinking of doing X..." etc., most people tend to only read the first, original post (or at least start there and rarely get as far as the last post). Thus, if you resurrect a thread like this from 5 years ago you're just going to get a whole load of people answering the OP's question (even if it was resolved 5 years ago). And then the thread often gets lots of comments as its age gets debated. And that ensures it's on the first page of the Mane Forum, pushing other new posts out. And that is annoying.