PDA

View Full Version : My scalp is being a pain

Flossiebell
March 3rd, 2014, 11:40 AM
Hi everyone

I'm in a bit of a fix and need some advice. I took diet tablets (adios) years ago and they made my hair fall out big time. Docs said there was nothing they could do (I found out it was those tablets myself after internet research). Anyway I am sure my hair is still thinner than it used to be and my scalp has been irritated for about 4yrs or something like that. It itches and the front part of my head will sometimes feel burning/hot. I can't be in the sun when it's like that because it's agony. Good job I live in uk where we rarely see strong sun! Also I am losing a lot of hair in the shower, then in my comb then all over my clothes. It's worse on wash day. I had a major cut about 3 weeks ago and he cut more layers in than I was expecting (note to self...wear contacts next time to supervise!) and my hair feels really thin and I'm not sure if it's made my scalp more exposed or something because my scalp has been really itchy and sore since then.

Now I went to lush last yr and a sales assistant said she used to be a hairdresser, looked at scalp and said it was dry. Now over the years I have tried all sorts of things. Oil anywhere near my scalp = major shedding. Conditioner anywhere near my scalp = major shedding, acv rinse burnt my head. Last year the doc prescribed anti dandruff shampoo in the hope it would do something as they were out of ideas! I very rarely get dandruff. Today I washed my hair with lush squeaky green which is new and I thought I was ok with it - wrong! Had to come home at lunch and put aloe vera gel on my head to calm the burning. It's starting to get sore now by the feel of it, but I can't see anything there.

i'm sorry for the long post but I'm at a point now that I don't know what to do. I dread washing my hair but at the same time I can't wear a hat 24/7. Please can anyone help?

Madora
March 3rd, 2014, 12:30 PM
Make an appointment with a hair doctor (trichologist) and see what is going on with your hair and scalp. Your scalp shouldn't be burning. Good luck!

Flossiebell
March 3rd, 2014, 01:43 PM
Thanks Madora, I will go back to the doctors and ask for a referral.

Firefox7275
March 3rd, 2014, 01:54 PM
You are in the UK: NHS is free. See your GP and ask for further tests or to be referred to a dermatologist. See different doctors in the practice or switch practices until you get taken seriously. Hairdressers are only level 3 qualified, they are taught little about dermatology and ingredients. In any case understanding of the skins barrier has moved forwards apace in recent years.

In the short term review your diet making it as anti inflammatory and nutrient dense as possible, largely wholefoods drop everything processed. The UK healthy eating guidelines are bare minimums/ maximums not an ideal to achieve some of the time. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a nutrition client who met all the guidelines, even those who claimed to be eating healthily.

Also start patch testing products instead of slapping them all over. Use products with as few ingredients as possible so you can start identifying any culprits. The skin doesn't need the fatty acids found in many plant oils, oleic acid particularly is problematic (irritant in SD, barrier disruptor, penetration enhancer).

Flossiebell
March 3rd, 2014, 02:49 PM
Thanks Firefox, I think my diet could do with an overhaul. I am going to try and see the doc again tomorrow. It was a waste of time last time I went as he openly said he didn't know what to suggest. He said it wasn't alopecia so couldn't refer me to anyone. Maybe this time I should refuse to leave until they have come up with a solution other than dandruff shampoo!

Firefox7275
March 3rd, 2014, 03:04 PM
That doctor sounds like a waste of space, it happens. Your hair has thinned and you have clear symptoms of irritation/ inflammation, if he doesn't know what that is or what to do about it you should be referred to someone who does know even if that is another GP in the same practice (tho they are all rounders many do have personal special interests). Your skin is your largest organ it is not some inert wrapping. Don't think of it as a waste of time - all appointments are on your medical record so there is a history of failed treatment. Do clearly point out how many times you have attended with the same problem and the timeframe.

It's well worth sorting out your diet. In some cases this resolves issues entirely by strengthening the skin barrier and calming inappropriate immune responses. For others it is an add on to appropriate topical treatments. Worst case scenario you are healthier in other ways. Do expect it to take a month before you see a difference and it may be subtle especially if you are still using irritant products.

Flossiebell
March 4th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Well now I'm really stumped. Doc says my scalp is very healthy?? Got some betnovate steroid scalp lotion to try and got some gentle (not j&j) baby shampoo to see if that helps. He suggested coal tar shampoo but not going to use that as it is way too harsh for me and has side effects of increased sun sensitivity - I already have that and don't want it to start on dull days too!! Only other course of treatment is a blood test to check iron levels for thinning hair. I take multi vits so I doubt it would be that. So pretty much back to square 1. I am going to clear my cupboards out of junk food and eat my way better I think :)

Firefox7275
March 4th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I was expecting a corticosteroid, its the logical next step in terms of a script. Baby shampoo is not necessarily gentle: if its no tears (not just J&J) it will be neutral to alkaline pH to respect the ocular mucosa, you want acidic for a healthy adult scalp.

Multi is not a substitute for wholefoods its a supplement or insurance policy. Haem iron (from dark meats especially organ meats like liver) is absorbed and utilised way better than other forms of iron. Ditto dairy calcium. Then there is the synergistic effect of different micronutrients in different foods eaten together: magnesium and (bioavailable) vitamin D work with calcium, vitamin C with haem iron and so on.

Many things increase your body's nutritional needs including daily physical activity (which you should also be doing) and stress (not just life events but smoking, poor diet, sleep issues etc). Oily fish oily fish oily fish for all sorts of skin friendly nutrients from haem iron to bioavailable vitamin D to anti inflammatory long chain omega-3s to biotin.

summergreen
March 4th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Sensitive scalps are a nightmare aren't they. Great advice from everyone. I've had problems with Aloe vera gel too, and I think Lush shampoos can be quite harsh.

The best shampoos I've used have been Optima Tea Tree Deep Cleansing and Jason Vitamin E. I think you can use aqueous cream as a shampoo - I've never tried it, but am thinking about it, it might help a dry scalp.

I've also found it helps a lot to only shampoo once instead of twice, and to stick to once a week washes when possible.

If I'm trying anything new I try to do it on a day when I can wash it out straight away if it starts irritating, even if I've done a patch test (my scalp seems to behave totally different from the rest of my skin, which isn't all that sensitive).

Hope some of these suggestions might help in the short term :)

Firefox7275
March 4th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Careful with aqueous cream its 1% SLS: a couple studies link it to thinning and dehydration in subjects with healthy skin - sorry no link as on decrepit mobile phone but I have posted them previously, and abstracts/ info is easy to find on PubMed or Eczema Society website.

summergreen
March 4th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Careful with aqueous cream its 1% SLS: a couple studies link it to thinning and dehydration in subjects with healthy skin - sorry no link as on decrepit mobile phone but I have posted them previously, and abstracts/ info is easy to find on PubMed or Eczema Society website.

Ohh thanks for that Firefox!! Sorry to mislead you Flossiebell.

Firefox7275
March 4th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Ohh thanks for that Firefox!! Sorry to mislead you Flossiebell.

You were not to know, it's only recent years that this has been shown to be an issue: some doctors and pharmacists are still peddling the stuff (my mother was sold it for a sulphate-induced dermatitis, doh!). I'm amazed it took so long for researchers to get on it, apparently stinging on applying aqueous cream has been reported for decades, indeed I had it myself as a child.

More expensive, but I have heard of people using CeraVe to cleanse and treat problem scalps. This sort of cleansing is not wise in seborrhoeic dermatitis tho.

Flossiebell
March 4th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Ok, I have only started eating chicken and fish about 3 months ago after being vegetarian for 5 years. I am struggling with other meat at the moment...still very squeamish.

I have got earth friendly baby chamomile shampoo and body wash. Most of the ingredients are listed as being anti-inflammable and soothing. It doesn't say anything about no tears, but assume they'd think people expect it. I don't have aqueous cream, is that like e45 cream or something? Can't imagine putting that on my head. I'm sitting here with betnovate on my head and it's still itchy...arrrrgh...