PDA

View Full Version : 15 ways you're damaging your hair

lapushka
March 3rd, 2014, 11:24 AM
Pretty amazing video for a regular YT video, I thought. Some things I didn't agree with (hair care), but oh well, it's still a pretty amazing find, especially for newbies (the rough towel, the blow drying time).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiFpNHdUsLw

Carolyn
March 3rd, 2014, 01:14 PM
I thought it was excellent advice and full of common sense. I know she uses mainstream salon products that are often frowned upon here but I use them with no problem.

PraiseCheeses
March 3rd, 2014, 01:34 PM
Not bad at all! I appreciate that she didn't take an extremist attitude and accepts that some people will continue to use heat/teasing/other damaging styles, but the changes she suggests are very minor and closely compatible with mainstream haircare as well as LHC methods. I do wish she had mentioned detangling with wide-tooth seamless combs as opposed to those ball-tipped, rubber-padded brushes though! shudder:

(....Eeeeee! Minipanther alert! :crush:)

NoRush
March 3rd, 2014, 01:36 PM
It's over all pretty good advice, I wouldn't use a natural bristle brush on wet hair and I'm still trying to figure out how heat protectants work (if they even do work), but everything else is good info getting out there.

milque
March 3rd, 2014, 02:23 PM
I think it's a good video for people who prefer to use mainstream methods of hair care. Most of what she says is true, and her advice allows one to have the flexibility of using styling tools. I am of the impression that the "wet brush" that she uses is similar to the Tangle Teezer?

And yes! The mini panther! The whole video I was only half listening to what she said coz I was busy watching the cat in the background. /catlady

Night_Kitten
March 4th, 2014, 06:11 AM
What a cute kitty! So adorable :D I was also looking at the cat while listening to her, lol :)

She does have good advice, especially for those who want to combine longer hair with mainstream styling and for those who are slowly "easing into" the long hair world and would be overwhelmed by the "hardcore" long-hair advice :)

Kherome
March 4th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Her hair looks a little damaged though, seems she might not quite be there yet herself.

shutterpillar
March 4th, 2014, 08:09 AM
I think she has a lot of great information for your basic non-LHC member. Like Praisecheeses said, it would really benefit those that are more into mainstream haircare.

I was also distracted by the cat...

Carolyn
March 4th, 2014, 08:20 AM
I am of the impression that the "wet brush" that she uses is similar to the Tangle Teezer?
No. The Wet Brush and the Tangle Teezer are two different things. Here (http://www.amazon.com/The-Wet-Brush-Pro-Select/dp/B00C2BHZD0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1393944947&sr=8-3&keywords=the+wet+hair+brush) is the Wet brush. And here (http://www.amazon.com/Tangle-Teezer-O-HH-010210-Original-Pink/dp/B00264NW7G) is the Tangle Teezer. I have them both. They both are safe for detangling wet hair but are two entirely different brushes.

Stray_mind
March 4th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Her hair looks a little damaged though, seems she might not quite be there yet herself.

Yeah, her advices are not bad, but i think it would make much more impact on people if she would have naturally long and healthy hair to show that those methods work... But maybe she wants to grow long hair herself and just sharing the information she got from somewhere, it seems like she's growing out her natural colour aswell or maybe she just dyes her hair very rarely.. :?

Vallena
March 4th, 2014, 08:44 AM
I agree its good basic advice for newbies. I'm always surprised to see people offering good advice, at least "in the wild" so to speak. It is encouraging to see others talk about non-mainstream haircare.

MeAndTheMaz
March 4th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Let's see. I'm currently guilty of only three of them. Proper brushing (actually combing, I haven't used a brush since LHC came into my life). I'm working on it though. I can't stand being cold, and taking a nice hot shower is one way not to be. And I've never SPFed, though maybe I ought to since I work outside most of the time (especially in the summer, I'm seasonal).

I've never been guilty of 9 of them. The heat and rough treatment ones.

I also watched Kitty in the background. If you follow her Milk Maid Braid video, you can watch Kitty play with the window shade cord.
:)

Kherome
March 4th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Let's see. I'm currently guilty of only three of them. Proper brushing (actually combing, I haven't used a brush since LHC came into my life). I'm working on it though. I can't stand being cold, and taking a nice hot shower is one way not to be. And I've never SPFed, though maybe I ought to since I work outside most of the time (especially in the summer, I'm seasonal).

I've never been guilty of 9 of them. The heat and rough treatment ones.

I also watched Kitty in the background. If you follow her Milk Maid Braid video, you can watch Kitty play with the window shade cord.

I did that too

DweamGoiL
March 4th, 2014, 10:25 AM
And yes! The mini panther! The whole video I was only half listening to what she said coz I was busy watching the cat in the background. /catlady

My thoughts exactly. That cat was sooooooo adorable! And yes, haircare was pretty spot on :)

swearnsue
March 4th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Kitty was doing her own video on how kitties groom themselves!

hairpleasegrow
March 4th, 2014, 11:30 AM
So that's why I should wash my brushes...I've never had it explained like that before

milque
March 4th, 2014, 03:25 PM

I went back just to watch the cat in this video. :p