PDA

View Full Version : Soft and shiny... or greasy?

Monkshood
March 3rd, 2014, 08:11 AM
I'm hardly adventurous with my hair, but I felt like trying something new for once and decided to do an oat milk rinse after reading about it on a French hair care blog. It didn't start off too well: after rinsing, my hair was a lot harder to detangle than it usually is and I shedded a lot more than I usually do. As for the final results... well, my hair looks and feels odd to me. It's definitely less voluminous than usual, but I can't decide whether it looks greasy or not. Here are comparison pictures, both taken in early morning natural light:

Normal hair

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss277/stalingrad/IMG_2031.jpg

After oat milk rinse

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss277/stalingrad/thtfgj.jpg

What do you think? Time to shampoo again?

red-again
March 3rd, 2014, 08:16 AM
Beautiful hair either way, but it does look a little "coated" rather than greasy in the second pic

Monkshood
March 3rd, 2014, 08:30 AM
Thank you. :)

It feels coated as well. Which is strange, as I rinsed thoroughly with water for a good two minutes post-oat milk. The strands kind of "clump" together, as you can see on the second picture... which I guess is mostly why I'm thinking "greasy".

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 08:58 AM
I oil my hair so often I am immune to what coated hair looks like anymore. I see it and think it looks great . :)
If you feel it is nourishing hair somehow I would leave it until next wash or until it drives you vrazy. I think it just looks sleek and shiny and I really love the 2nd pic but I am biased.

Gorgeous hair in both pictures.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2014, 09:29 AM
It looks like the waves have "calmed down" a bit in the second picture. I would not say it's greasy, though, but you have to feel the texture of it. If it's difficult to deal with, I'd shampoo again (and forget about those rinses from now on).

Fethenwen
March 3rd, 2014, 10:23 AM
I define greasy hair as hair that starts to get "show through" at the scalp. Kind of slick against the head. Those days I use a scarf on my hair if I do not wash it :p But it's hard to tell if your hair is greasy from your pic.

ReneeG
March 3rd, 2014, 10:32 AM
I think it looks shinier and smoother honestly, but its all about how it feels to you! If the feel of it really gets to you it should be fine to wash it I would imagine. Maybe try a different rinse if you still like trying them?

red-again
March 3rd, 2014, 10:40 AM
One other thought, oats and the milk they release is high in protein. My hair feels coated and clumps more when overproteined. How does your hair react to protein in other forms?

Monkshood
March 3rd, 2014, 11:40 AM
Thanks everyone for the opinions and compliments. I guess I'm not used to my hair laying so flat... It's funny, because this rinse is supposed to give volume. To the touch, it feels almost like it's damp, but not tacky or anything. I think I'll leave it until my next wash day, but I probably won't repeat this little experiment with the oat milk, as I prefer the look and feel of my "normal" hair.

One other thought, oats and the milk they release is high in protein. My hair feels coated and clumps more when overproteined. How does your hair react to protein in other forms?

I've never tried any other protein treatments, so I have no idea! Both my shampoo and conditioners have protein, though, so I guess it could be a possibility? I should really experiment more. This is the only rinse I've tried other than diluted ACV, which I also wasn't too enthusiastic about.

sarahthegemini
March 3rd, 2014, 11:51 AM
I think it looks a bit wet. The before pic is lovely though.

RapunzelKat
March 3rd, 2014, 01:24 PM
Both pics are lovely! :)

However, if it caused tangles/shedding I'd definitely stay away from it in the future - both of those are signs of protein overload.

Macaroni
March 3rd, 2014, 02:11 PM
The after pic looks like it has product in it, it must be the protein in the milk which doesn't rinse out.

Kherome
March 3rd, 2014, 03:17 PM
I think the second pic looks great personally.

Monkshood
March 3rd, 2014, 08:10 PM
Both pics are lovely! :)

However, if it caused tangles/shedding I'd definitely stay away from it in the future - both of those are signs of protein overload.

Thank you!

So, if it is indeed protein overload, is there anything special I should do to fix it or will just shampooing/conditioning as usual in a few days do the trick? Should I clarify?

I think the second pic looks great personally.

I think it looks better on the picture than it does in real life. It's kind of stringy. Thankfully, it's not obvious in a bun.

RapunzelKat
March 3rd, 2014, 10:22 PM
Thank you!

So, if it is indeed protein overload, is there anything special I should do to fix it or will just shampooing/conditioning as usual in a few days do the trick? Should I clarify?

I'd say clarify, if you don't like how your hair is feeling. For my hair, clarifying is kind of like hitting the reset button. :D If your hair tends to get dry when clarified though, I'd stick to regular shampoo/conditioner and let it work it's way back to normal. It probably won't take long, since you only did one rinse.

Just make sure that you use all protein-free stuff for at least the first wash, to make sure you're not adding excess protein back in. :)

Stray_mind
March 4th, 2014, 03:16 AM
It doesn't look greasy to me. To me greasy is when hair strands clump together and lay separate from eachother. You have beautiful hair.