PDA

View Full Version : My sleep cap won't stay on

jacqueline101
March 3rd, 2014, 07:37 AM
As the title says my sleep cap won't stay on it's new. The elastic is in great shape and it's an over sized one. I have fine hair not a lot of it. I did use a scrunchi to make a loose sloppy type bun. It started off in the middle of the night my cat was wearing it. I put it back on. It stayed the rest of the night. I was wondering if there are any hints or ideas to keep it on.
I tried to search the forum I didn't find anything on this subject.

Madora
March 3rd, 2014, 08:12 AM
Perhaps you could buy a length of gros grain ribbon, cut it in two, then sew the ribbon to each side of the cap, so you could tie it on to prevent it from falling off.

jacqueline101
March 3rd, 2014, 08:15 AM
Perhaps you could buy a length of gros grain ribbon, cut it in two, then sew the ribbon to each side of the cap, so you could tie it on to prevent it from falling off.

That could work.

Scarlet_Heart
March 3rd, 2014, 08:21 AM
If you sew, you could just do a quick pleat to tighten it up. Just gather an inch of slack and sew across it. I was thinking about doing that with mine. It will stay on most of the time, but sometimes it slips off.

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 08:49 AM
My elastic one would not stay on ever. I just got one at Sallys tht is non elastic. It stays PUT!
They also have some that are more a wrap style..but I prefer the one I have. Instead of elastic it has a tighter satin band. Almost too tight, but it sure is working.

It is kind of like this one..but mine is satin inside and not soft.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Satin-Sleep-Cap/SBS-480775,default,pd.html#q=sleep+cap&start=2

Wosie
March 3rd, 2014, 08:50 AM
"I have fine hair not a lot of it", but your thickness is still iii? =o Either way, my sleep cap also falls off during most nights... Do you have the sleep cap over your ears, or behind them? I try to keep mine as low as possible, so the elastic is just over my eyebrow before falling asleep (sometimes it's even over my eyes, turning it into a sleep mask as well :wink:). I guess my biggest issue is that I have tied my elastic rather loosely, as I easily get headaches, but then it falls off easier as well. :hmm:

Valkyriejae
March 3rd, 2014, 09:43 AM
I agree with Wosie - if I put the cap behind my ears it's off in an hour, if I put it over my ears it mostly stays put (I say mostly cause I think I need to replace the elastic in mine cause it's been slipping a bit lately...)

Anje
March 3rd, 2014, 09:53 AM
Are you new to sleep caps? My personal theory is that you need to train yourself to sleep in them -- expect a week or two where you find you've pulled it off in the night (heck, I found mine on the opposite side of the room a time or two), growing less and less frequent as you persist in wearing it.

browneyedsusan
March 3rd, 2014, 11:42 AM
Mine pops off too! I alternate between the sleep cap, a topknot, frenchbraid, silk scarf, buff....
They all seem to work themselves off in the night.

Wisé
March 3rd, 2014, 02:23 PM
I lost it a lot on the first days, but with time it stayed put. Plus I used a very broad elastic (about 2,5cm/1inch) for it, bc that holds tighter with the same pressure. And I can even wear it behind my ears, but maybe I have a fitting head shape or something. If it is storebought you can try shortening the elastic a bit.

jacqueline101
March 4th, 2014, 11:02 AM
If you sew, you could just do a quick pleat to tighten it up. Just gather an inch of slack and sew across it. I was thinking about doing that with mine. It will stay on most of the time, but sometimes it slips off.

I sew but I'm not too good at it.

My elastic one would not stay on ever. I just got one at Sallys tht is non elastic. It stays PUT!
They also have some that are more a wrap style..but I prefer the one I have. Instead of elastic it has a tighter satin band. Almost too tight, but it sure is working.

It is kind of like this one..but mine is satin inside and not soft.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Satin-Sleep-Cap/SBS-480775,default,pd.html#q=sleep+cap&start=2

I do have different ones that look more like doo rags. I might try one of them.

"I have fine hair not a lot of it", but your thickness is still iii? =o Either way, my sleep cap also falls off during most nights... Do you have the sleep cap over your ears, or behind them? I try to keep mine as low as possible, so the elastic is just over my eyebrow before falling asleep (sometimes it's even over my eyes, turning it into a sleep mask as well :wink:). I guess my biggest issue is that I have tied my elastic rather loosely, as I easily get headaches, but then it falls off easier as well. :hmm:

I put mine behind my ears. I might put mine over my ears.

I agree with Wosie - if I put the cap behind my ears it's off in an hour, if I put it over my ears it mostly stays put (I say mostly cause I think I need to replace the elastic in mine cause it's been slipping a bit lately...)

I'm going to try this method.

Are you new to sleep caps? My personal theory is that you need to train yourself to sleep in them -- expect a week or two where you find you've pulled it off in the night (heck, I found mine on the opposite side of the room a time or two), growing less and less frequent as you persist in wearing it.

Yes it's the first one I've ever worn. Some training might be in order. It did good when I went to sleep today. I guess practice makes perfect.

Mine pops off too! I alternate between the sleep cap, a topknot, frenchbraid, silk scarf, buff....
They all seem to work themselves off in the night.
I might try the silk scarf I have some of them.

I lost it a lot on the first days, but with time it stayed put. Plus I used a very broad elastic (about 2,5cm/1inch) for it, bc that holds tighter with the same pressure. And I can even wear it behind my ears, but maybe I have a fitting head shape or something. If it is storebought you can try shortening the elastic a bit.

I might have to do that.

cathair
March 4th, 2014, 06:08 PM

I've got an elastic sleeping cap and a tie up one and I find the same thing. If it's above my ears it comes off, if it's below my ears it stays on. Problem is if it's below my ears it ends up slipping into my eyes and I end up over sleeping because it's like a blindfold! hehehe I can't win.

jacqueline101
March 4th, 2014, 09:05 PM
I've got an elastic sleeping cap and a tie up one and I find the same thing. If it's above my ears it comes off, if it's below my ears it stays on. Problem is if it's below my ears it ends up slipping into my eyes and I end up over sleeping because it's like a blindfold! hehehe I can't win.

Maybe I need to use my duck bill clips to hold it on. I will use them until I get ribbons to make a chin strap.

Bagginslover
March 5th, 2014, 12:55 AM
The biggest help I found, was teaching myself to tool my head across the pillow when I move, not to drag it. Drag your head, and the cap is off right away, roll it, and it won't move. ;)

Rushli
March 5th, 2014, 06:07 AM
I wear an eye mask at night. It has a 1" thick elastic band. Combined with the over the ears trick, and it stays on most of my head. I find it creeps off my forehead, but since that is not the part rubbing on my pillow, I think it is ok.

jacqueline101
March 5th, 2014, 11:05 AM
The biggest help I found, was teaching myself to tool my head across the pillow when I move, not to drag it. Drag your head, and the cap is off right away, roll it, and it won't move. ;)

I never thought of that. I will have to watch how I roll,

jacqueline101
March 5th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I wear an eye mask at night. It has a 1" thick elastic band. Combined with the over the ears trick, and it stays on most of my head. I find it creeps off my forehead, but since that is not the part rubbing on my pillow, I think it is ok.

I found the over the ears method to work the best.