PDA

View Full Version : would you cut it

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 05:07 AM
Let's say you have a cut you hate. Is not long anyway..but has awful layers. These layers since they are so heavy make hair look thin and scraggly. Also the layers tend to tangle a lot.
Would you
A. cut it to a bob to even the layers so you could look better while growing out, knowing it may be harder to wear hair up if it was any shorter
B. put it up and forget it a while and slowly microtrim the bottom until things looked better.

example.
Hair looks like this.. (not mine but same general idea, with the bottom having flippy layers)
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/f5b15769-872c-4ce0-b3c6-ae7f7f814d66_zps571aae15.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/f5b15769-872c-4ce0-b3c6-ae7f7f814d66_zps571aae15.jpg.html)

or cut to this
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/61028067-1d0b-4de3-80e4-0ad03e35f78c_zps99d6e313.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/61028067-1d0b-4de3-80e4-0ad03e35f78c_zps99d6e313.jpg.html)

Obviously its my decision and all that..but opinions are greatly appreciated. I am really struggling with this decision. I am not trying to grow to a super length, BSL or MB is fine for me. My first goal is simply to what I had in avatar, APL. Just getting to that would be a milestone for me. That pic was a few months before joining here. I had just gotten a cut and loved it, so i know I could be happy at that length. Soo do I want to get there sooner so I can relax..or take time but enjoy hair now? Cutting would only put me back maybe 4-5 months.. but that is still a long time. I figure leaving as is I will be APL in a year. If I cut probably closer to 1.5 years? I am not sure how I feel. I know I would miss putting hair up with my hairsticks, which I wouldn't be able to do with the bob..but I like wearing hair down for work/going out and I hate how it looks now. I also worry about damage with the current tangling I am getting, but who is to say for sure that would stop with the cut? The bob will NOT rid all the layers. Just get them closer to hemline which I hope will help me mentally feel like things are getting better.

So far for the last 5 months I have been maintaining. Hair is same length as in signature. Issue is I notice the layers arent getting longer so I think stylist is trimming them instead of dusting them. I have decided not to use my stylist anymore as I dont think my hair has looked that great using her. I am terrified of getting a new one however, but am switching anyway. I really need to know exactly what I want so I can communicate my needs to new person so I need help deciding as I will be bringing photo if I choose the bob.

Thoughts?

Tini'sNewHair
March 3rd, 2014, 05:18 AM
The second picture is pretty much how i had mine cut when i started growing out again. My actual request from the hairdresser was to get a straight across blunt cut but she somehow heard me saying angled bob AHHHHHHHHHHH which slowed me down again so after a few months i went to another hairdresser and finally had the blunt cut. Anyway, the journey was half fun, half not so much. It was fun because my hair was all ONE length, it was THICK and healthy - It was BAD because it was TOOO thick (never knew how thick it was because I had layers for so many years) and almost to short to tie it up in a ponytail but I HAD to tie it back so bobby pins became my new best friend for more than a year :O - I DONT regret that choice tho! I still feel like it was the best decision i made. I'm at MBL now, my hemline has gone into a U shape but thats ok. Verry happy!

XcaliburGirl
March 3rd, 2014, 05:35 AM
Personally, in a similar situation I powered through with no trims at all. For me, the most important thing was to be able to put it up. It really depends on what is most important to you.

If it were me I'd say to wait as long as you can stand it. Then hopefully you can get one big trim at a longer length where you can wear it up or down.

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 05:37 AM
I really appreciate the reply. I was just looking at your hair actually in the last thread "cutting becasue hair wont grow"
I was using your photos to get estimates as well as just admiring!

Getting it as close to one length as possible seems the best way to grow. It's easier to trim since you can just microtrim bottom and not risk layers getting hacked. It visually appears longer without layers so you are happier in grow-out phase, and it just looks stylish in all stages of growth. I actually would love some thickness also as my hair is baby fine so that is even something to look forward too. I feel now it just looks like a billy goat chewed on the bottom of my hair :)

Thanks again for adding your comments. It gives me something positive to think about.

kaydana
March 3rd, 2014, 05:37 AM
Do you have a picture of your own hair? It's impossible to say otherwise.

Personally, I'd probably put it up and forget it, but it really depends how you wear your hair and how bad you feel it looks.

redredrobin
March 3rd, 2014, 05:39 AM
As you said, only you know how annoyed you are with the layers, but here are my thoughts :).

Perhaps your layers seem worse now because it feels like most of your hair is layered, whereas once it starts growing the percentage of your hair that is layered gets less and less. You could give it a few more inches growth and then re-evaluate.

Your hair looks to be in good condition and although the end are thinner due to layering, they still look good to me. Outside of LHC I bet most people wouldn't even call those thin ends, so I would probably not get it cut to a bob. Maybe it's because my layers are long so I don't really have experience of growing out layered hair, but I just don't see them as being that much of a problem. There tends to be a preference for growing out with a blunt cut on this forum, which I do think is preferable, but I think layers look nice and I wouldn't sacrifice nearly six months of growth just for it to be blunt. That's my opinion though.

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 05:40 AM
Personally, in a similar situation I powered through with no trims at all. For me, the most important thing was to be able to put it up. It really depends on what is most important to you.

If it were me I'd say to wait as long as you can stand it. Then hopefully you can get one big trim at a longer length where you can wear it up or down.

That is why I have given myself 30 days to decide. I have now until March 20th. I finally got hair long enough to stay up in a hairstick and I LOVE it.
I could use pins though...something I never thought about.
This is such a hard decison for me. When you were in the situation..were you heavily layered also? Are the layers gone now?

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 05:48 AM

Personally, I'd probably put it up and forget it, but it really depends how you wear your hair and how bad you feel it looks.

depending on the day, weather, or what product is in it it will look like this
removed for now due to face in post

or worse, like this

I will take the pics down after an hour since they show face.
The one on the bottom was yesterday and the one on top was a month ago. See what I mean it seems to be worse with trims? IT seems stylist is making the layers WORSE and not better hence why I am firing her. I wonder if the only fix is a bob to clean it up so it wont happen again. I have been microtimming (does not seem micro!)off the keratin damage but feel if I could get the cut to something decent I can just stop trimming for the year.

Taking it to shoulder may clean up that thinned out mess.

kaydana
March 3rd, 2014, 06:00 AM
I don't think it looks as bad as you think. If it's long enough now to use hairsticks, and wouldn't be if you cut it, I'd leave it alone for a while. Maybe wait until the layers are at the length the longest parts are now (and if you ditch the hairdresser that won't take long), and then see how you feel about it. That way if you do decide to cut it, it'll still be long enough to put it up post-cut.

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 06:04 AM
very good point. I guess I feel the urge to cut all the time because the layers are soooo thin they tangle up terribly. I have been keeping it oiled to prevent that but even then those little strands twist around themselves. I guess I can update before the cut on the 20th and see if it is doing better?

Thanks for the input. So much to think about. I really hate the hair right now so it weighs on me. I regret getting the layers no matter how damaged it was.

from the side its not so bad but you can see the wispys.
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/bc13dd5b-64af-4392-adfe-d23285a6cfe6_zpsb52dff82.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/bc13dd5b-64af-4392-adfe-d23285a6cfe6_zpsb52dff82.jpg.html)

but here is the problem..it is cut with almost a razor texture. When I slide a comb down it you see all these individual hairs spring up. That is the part I want gone. IT makes hair look super damaged even though I do not have a single split. But hair appears broken all over. I truly hate this cut
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/1133c27f-9cc5-4f0e-8052-34aa4a938f31_zps6c17e659.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1133c27f-9cc5-4f0e-8052-34aa4a938f31_zps6c17e659.jpg.html)

It gives it nice body for fine hair but Its just so bad for the hair I think. Here is the back..excuse the hairstick waves
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/a2048d39-a7e5-4fca-bf84-c15f7faa0131_zps8582bd18.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/a2048d39-a7e5-4fca-bf84-c15f7faa0131_zps8582bd18.jpg.html)

georgia_peach
March 3rd, 2014, 06:08 AM
ErinLeigh, I think your hair looks really nice in both pictures. The one you say is your "worst" is actually my favorite. Seriously. So my vote would be not to trim.

I've got the same thing going with my hair but a shorter version. It is really hard not to keep trimming and shaping things up, but I agree with kaydana. If you can let it just grow for a bit, you will be so much closer to goal in no time at all!

momschicklets
March 3rd, 2014, 06:13 AM
I've got almost the identical haircut and length as you do, except my layers start even higher around my cheekbone and the flippy thing drives me absolutely crazy.....hate it. My ends are healthy, though, so I've decided to power through a few more inches before making any decisions about cutting. I can tell it bothers you quite a bit, though, because I've seen you post about it a couple of times. I guess it's all about picking your pain....flippy layers that you hate or a cut you worry you might regret. In the long run I don't think you'd regret cutting back when it starts growing out nice and even.....but yikes....I feel your indecision! Sigh. Guess that wasn't very helpful. Just wanted you to know I'm there too.

spidermom
March 3rd, 2014, 06:14 AM
I've done both - gone for the cut to even things out, also kept growing with little trims while my short layers became long layers and finally no layers. My stylist would trim a smidgen less off my layers than she did my length.

It sounds like you'll be happier with the cut.

Theobroma
March 3rd, 2014, 06:17 AM
My two euro cents...

1. Honestly, going by the photos, your hair doesn't look anywhere near as bad as you're making it out to be! I realise that it isn't what you want, but objectively, I have no nits to pick with it.

2. I hear so many stories of people going to stylists, asking exactly for what they want, and getting some weird stacked/layered/angled cut that's a royal pain in the you-know-where to grow out. Given that you currently don't have a lot of length and any cut is going to eat a significant proportion of it, I personally would be very worried about taking my chances on a new stylist giving me the cut I want and not the one they think I should have. You won't be able to do those hairstick buns after the cut either way and if it doesn't turn out how you want it, it'll make the put-it-up-and-forget-it strategy that much harder to do while you wait for it to grow out again.

3. I have a lot more length but I'm dealing with an analogous situation. My ends are crazy thin as a result of two separate, very heavy sheds. It's a bit like having some serious, involuntary layering going on and it drives me nuts. If I wanted to wear my hair down at all I'd probably trim off a year and a half's growth... but if I did, I'd lose some of my favourite updos until it grew back -- the ends are thin, but they add some crucial stability. So I'm keeping them.

So if I were in your position, I'd just sit tight and keep microtrimming. Hang in there and good luck, whatever you decide!

ladyfey
March 3rd, 2014, 06:34 AM
I loving the "cut to this" photo. I had hair that was just bad and cut it off, I never regretted it. But I am prejudiced because I love that bob haircut!

Lyv
March 3rd, 2014, 07:00 AM
I would probably cut it. Your hair doesn't look bad at all but if you really don't like the way it looks it makes more sense to me to cut so you can enjoy growing it out, it might take a little longer to get to your goal length but at least you'd be happy with it while you're waiting to get there.

oktobergoud
March 3rd, 2014, 07:04 AM
Don't trim! I had the same sort of haircut, but the layers are growing out nicely now!

ravenheather
March 3rd, 2014, 07:14 AM
What do you ultimately want blunt or layers? I would probably cut to bob and then not cut again until you can do it yourself. Razor cut ends are more than likely going to be problematic. But I can also see waiting if you prefer to wear your hair up most of the time. How do you prefer to wear your hair?

Kina
March 3rd, 2014, 07:16 AM
I think your hair is lovely as it is. Ultimately, only you can decide which loss would make you happier. If it were me, I'd oil the heck out of it, bun it and let it grow. If you get a cut that you're not happy with, you lose both options.

I had a hair cut I loved, when I went back to get it trimmed (same hairdresser) she butchered it. Had to grow that out, rather than lose even more length.

Next "trim" I had, the hairdresser (a different one) cut my then hip length hair to bsl.

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 07:16 AM
Speaking of firing stylist, in the second pic I did my own highlights so they are a bit off looking.
THe ones she did looked like spaghetti strands and were green. That ruined my hair. THe color was green gray, I had to color oops, redye and rehighlight myself. It dried the crap out of my hair so I am just so frustrated. I NEVER get what I want. I go to the best salon in the area. USe a master stylist..pay out the wazoo..So why so many issues. I have a true hair jinx. I can get a great cut one time and a turd the next. Zero consistancy even though I ask for same thing each time. THis is the main reason I want to grow out..so I can stop going to salons so often.

For giggles I am going to post what happened when I went to a Supercuts for a bob. I figured since salons messed up why not try a cheap place. Well that was a disaster. You will see why I get hair cut fear..This one is hysterical.
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/bda0035d-cd62-49c9-bc75-b3d91c19139a_zps0d490496.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/bda0035d-cd62-49c9-bc75-b3d91c19139a_zps0d490496.jpg.html)

thank goodness a good stylist fixed it to this
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/4c089cfd-2024-4059-9da6-1f8a94e8d1af_zps22336e3a.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/4c089cfd-2024-4059-9da6-1f8a94e8d1af_zps22336e3a.jpg.html)

funnily enough same stylist who fixed it butchered the color the next time I went back.

I am posting all these so you can see where my neurosis comes from. Nothing I want ever turns out. Maybe putting up and just powering thru the bad times is the only way?

LauraLongLocks
March 3rd, 2014, 07:24 AM
I feel your frustration with those ends that stick out in the picture with the comb. That's what I hate about my layered parts, too. Mine have become split, because they have gone without a trim for so long. I've been microtrimming my hemline, once every 3-4 months until this year, waiting for my layers to catch up. Now I'm attached to the length and happy enough to grow without trims for a year (I'm super excited to hack off an entire inch at the end of the year, however, and get those layers closer to my hemline). I would go in for a dusting every couple months until those layers are closer to your hemline. Just be sure you tell your stylist to NOT TOUCH THE LAYERS (I had one just start hacking away at my layers before I could say anything, which set me back quite a bit). The reason I say this is because you ARE happy with your length, clearly. You don't want to give that up, obviously. You don't want a sudden setback of half a year to grow back to where you are now. If you microtrim every 3-4 months, you'll slowly see the improvement you want, and it'll be the least painful way to get it. It'll probably only be 3 or 4 trims, over the course of the year, and those layers will be much closer to the hemline.

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 07:28 AM
What do you ultimately want blunt or layers? I would probably cut to bob and then not cut again until you can do it yourself. Razor cut ends are more than likely going to be problematic. But I can also see waiting if you prefer to wear your hair up most of the time. How do you prefer to wear your hair?

Prefer down for public but up for comfort. Its up 90 percent of the time and down date night, work, and going out.
I just don't know what to do. I wonder if the bob could be tied up with a claw clip? I want to cut it but I really do fear another mistake...yet I know until the layers are gone the risk for mistakes remains highest.
I will be driving you all nuts until the 19th when I have to decide.

I really appreciate all the feedback though. Hair seems like such a silly thing to stres about but it really effects your appearance and mood so it is a big deal. I miss having it longer and mostly one length. I never ever even though about it. It looked good every day and I was happy. Wash, go and not dwell was paradise.

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 07:35 AM
I feel your frustration with those ends that stick out in the picture with the comb. That's what I hate about my layered parts, too. Mine have become split, because they have gone without a trim for so long. I've been microtrimming my hemline, once every 3-4 months until this year, waiting for my layers to catch up. Now I'm attached to the length and happy enough to grow without trims for a year (I'm super excited to hack off an entire inch at the end of the year, however, and get those layers closer to my hemline). I would go in for a dusting every couple months until those layers are closer to your hemline. Just be sure you tell your stylist to NOT TOUCH THE LAYERS (I had one just start hacking away at my layers before I could say anything, which set me back quite a bit). The reason I say this is because you ARE happy with your length, clearly. You don't want to give that up, obviously. You don't want a sudden setback of half a year to grow back to where you are now. If you microtrim every 3-4 months, you'll slowly see the improvement you want, and it'll be the least painful way to get it. It'll probably only be 3 or 4 trims, over the course of the year, and those layers will be much closer to the hemline.

YES it is those ends that scare me and make me want them gone. I feel I am just asking for splits and breakage. Especially with the tangles. And with fine hair, it honestly looks like damage, not an intentional style. It embarrasses me as well as frustrated me. It was my own doing. I chose to cut and I swear it wasn't so bad at first. Its like each trim she makes them worse, not better. 5 months later they should not be this bad. I am scared to stay with her, and scared to leave.

I see all the people here who did have this who got past it and it makes me think just LEAVE IT ALONE. But at the same time..that bob is tempting :) I wouldn't look like the ends got chewed off the bottom of my hair. I am getting more used to wearing up up and almost feel comfortable enough to go out in public with it up so that may help.
I set the cut date as March 19th based on the morracan lunar calendar hoping that would give me good luck. I plan on it being my final trim for next 6 months regardless what cut I choose.

I am thankful for all of you who are going thru this as well, or have been there. It helps knowing people understand, even though I am sure its frustrating hearing the same complaints daily from me :)

lapushka
March 3rd, 2014, 07:38 AM

This. ^^ It would be better if we could see your own hair!

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 07:41 AM
lapushka its on page one.

LauraLongLocks
March 3rd, 2014, 07:45 AM
YES it is those ends that scare me and make me want them gone. I feel I am just asking for splits and breakage. Especially with the tangles. And with fine hair, it honestly looks like damage, not an intentional style. It embarrasses me as well as frustrated me. It was my own doing. I chose to cut and I swear it wasn't so bad at first. Its like each trim she makes them worse, not better. 5 months later they should not be this bad. I am scared to stay with her, and scared to leave.

I see all the people here who did have this who got past it and it makes me think just LEAVE IT ALONE. But at the same time..that bob is tempting :) I wouldn't look like the ends got chewed off the bottom of my hair. I am getting more used to wearing up up and almost feel comfortable enough to go out in public with it up so that may help.
I set the cut date as March 19th based on the morracan lunar calendar hoping that would give me good luck. I plan on it being my final trim for next 6 months regardless what cut I choose.

I am thankful for all of you who are going thru this as well, or have been there. It helps knowing people understand, even though I am sure its frustrating hearing the same complaints daily from me :) Don't go back to that stylist. At least, I wouldn't. You shouldn't have to feel fear when you sit down in the chair. I would find a stylist that has long healthy hair and use her instead. Lots of oil to keep those parts from sticking out, and patience! Maybe you can get a good coney serum to help tame those bits to lay more flat with the rest of your hair. I'm pleased with the nightly shea butter and coconut oil mixture I've been putting on my ends. It really has helped keep them under control and feel less tangly, and more smooth.

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 07:52 AM
this is what it would look like short bob (planning ahead in case they cut too much)

and this would be what it would look like if i let it grow with the current layers.

I have had pretty much every cut out there so have pics of a zillion options but these are the 2 possibilities with what I am working with.

mrs_coffee
March 3rd, 2014, 07:54 AM
I would cut. When I grew mine out the first time from a pixie I cut until the layers were pretty much even. That being said, I was not at all impatient about growing my hair so cutting back the layers didn't bother me. Having a cut I liked and felt comfortable with was more important to me. So, I think it depends on you. If you're okay with cutting and having the flippy layers bugs you, cut them. If you're going to be really sad about losing length, I'd put it up as much as possible and try to forget about it.

You have great cheekbones and pretty eyes, which I think makes shorter hair really easy to pull off.

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 07:56 AM
Don't go back to that stylist. At least, I wouldn't. You shouldn't have to feel fear when you sit down in the chair. I would find a stylist that has long healthy hair and use her instead. Lots of oil to keep those parts from sticking out, and patience! Maybe you can get a good coney serum to help tame those bits to lay more flat with the rest of your hair. I'm pleased with the nightly shea butter and coconut oil mixture I've been putting on my ends. It really has helped keep them under control and feel less tangly, and more smooth.

sadly my lady has long hair and she co washes! You think she would get it! I think she is jacking me up on purpose as she was pissed when I cut it. I wonder if she is trying to teach me some lesson. IF I stopped asked her to "fix" it I know she could get me long again. She loves long hair and used to only dust me. NOw shes hacking and I wonder if its resentment that i made her give me hideous layers?
She has given me some awesome cuts and color but its so hit or miss. ITs great then bd, great than bad. Its a toxic relationship :)

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 07:58 AM
I would cut. When I grew mine out the first time from a pixie I cut until the layers were pretty much even. That being said, I was not at all impatient about growing my hair so cutting back the layers didn't bother me. Having a cut I liked and felt comfortable with was more important to me. So, I think it depends on you. If you're okay with cutting and having the flippy layers bugs you, cut them. If you're going to be really sad about losing length, I'd put it up as much as possible and try to forget about it.

You have great cheekbones and pretty eyes, which I think makes shorter hair really easy to pull off.

Thank you. No i'm not impatient for length at all. Just impatient to be happy with a good cut. So ya, torn. Yes flippy bugs me. Cutting scares me.
YOU all have given some great input for me to digest and it helps. I just got off a 16 hr shift so im probably over obsessed right now from being fatigued.

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 08:08 AM
hmm from the pics of options..i could be grown out to bottom pic in 8 months probably. Then I could trim the layers of and maintain there. Do you think that is best based on these photos?

LauraLongLocks
March 3rd, 2014, 08:09 AM
sadly my lady has long hair and she co washes! You think she would get it! I think she is jacking me up on purpose as she was pissed when I cut it. I wonder if she is trying to teach me some lesson. IF I stopped asked her to "fix" it I know she could get me long again. She loves long hair and used to only dust me. NOw shes hacking and I wonder if its resentment that i made her give me hideous layers?
She has given me some awesome cuts and color but its so hit or miss. ITs great then bd, great than bad. Its a toxic relationship :) Whoa! I would RUN away from that stylist.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2014, 08:12 AM
lapushka its on page one.

Really, did I miss that? Oops, sorry. Let me take a look... Difficult, because a lot of your layering is at bob length, a very short bob length. I would keep growing though, and maybe take to microtrimming (with caution, so maybe every 3 months or so). You're going to have to cut it really short if you want to get rid of all your layering at once. And that means heavy styling (and possible damage), and no or very few updos.

arr
March 3rd, 2014, 08:23 AM
First of all, your hair doesn't look bad at all. I do see what you are talking about with the layers and razored ends, but it doesn't make you look bad. Im in the same predicament. I had a terrible haircut in May of last year. I had layered waist length hair and i asked for a trim of two inches straight across the bottom because i wanted to get my hair all one length again. Somehow i ended up with a severe hacked v-shaped hemline with terrible layers that weren't even at all. One side has a hunk of hair just hacked off horizontally. Anyway i was so upset that two weeks later i had my husband trim it to close to bsl. Ive just barely reached waist again this month(i have a very short torso). The bottom looks okay, but the sides still have the terrible uneven layers. I hate to even look at it when the sides fall forward. I would have to cut 3 inches to fix them, but the problem is i already have a hard time wearing it up because of the thickness. So i go back and forth literally every day, I'm driving my poor husband mad. I almost did it yesterday but my husband talked me out of it, he said i wasn't fully committed to the decision. So i understand how you feel and the frustration of looking at your hair and not being happy with it. Its hard for me to say what you should do, I'm trying to hang in there and just put it up and let it grow, but its not easy for me. I think maybe you could try to hang in there too until the shorter parts are the length of the longer parts and then cut it. Then you could still put it up. By the way, i have had so many bad salon experiences myself that I'm terrified to go back. Thats one reason I'm growing long, one length hair is because it is a style i can maintain myself. Well, whatever you decide, this time next year or even in six months you'll be at a really good place with your hair and all this stress will be fading into a distant memory.

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 08:34 AM
Really, did I miss that? Oops, sorry. Let me take a look... Difficult, because a lot of your layering is at bob length, a very short bob length. I would keep growing though, and maybe take to microtrimming (with caution, so maybe every 3 months or so). You're going to have to cut it really short if you want to get rid of all your layering at once. And that means heavy styling (and possible damage), and no or very few updos.

Will you look at page 3 and tell me thoughts on bob vs grow out option? :)

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 08:39 AM
First of all, your hair doesn't look bad at all. I do see what you are talking about with the layers and razored ends, but it doesn't make you look bad. Im in the same predicament. I had a terrible haircut in May of last year. I had layered waist length hair and i asked for a trim of two inches straight across the bottom because i wanted to get my hair all one length again. Somehow i ended up with a severe hacked v-shaped hemline with terrible layers that weren't even at all. One side has a hunk of hair just hacked off horizontally. Anyway i was so upset that two weeks later i had my husband trim it to close to bsl. Ive just barely reached waist again this month(i have a very short torso). The bottom looks okay, but the sides still have the terrible uneven layers. I hate to even look at it when the sides fall forward. I would have to cut 3 inches to fix them, but the problem is i already have a hard time wearing it up because of the thickness. So i go back and forth literally every day, I'm driving my poor husband mad. I almost did it yesterday but my husband talked me out of it, he said i wasn't fully committed to the decision. So i understand how you feel and the frustration of looking at your hair and not being happy with it. Its hard for me to say what you should do, I'm trying to hang in there and just put it up and let it grow, but its not easy for me. I think maybe you could try to hang in there too until the shorter parts are the length of the longer parts and then cut it. Then you could still put it up. By the way, i have had so many bad salon experiences myself that I'm terrified to go back. Thats one reason I'm growing long, one length hair is because it is a style i can maintain myself. Well, whatever you decide, this time next year or even in six months you'll be at a really good place with your hair and all this stress will be fading into a distant memory.

Im growing for exact same reason. I cannot deal with one more shed tear over a costly salon hack job. I drive my SO insane! The worst thing is when I get a haircut.color I usually end up getting 3. First one I hate, fix myself, still unhappy, go back to a salon for another fix. Its a weeklong process each time I get a cut.
What is it about a haircut that is so hard for professionals to manage. Its like they take their bad day out on our hair or something.
I will be 41 in a month. Its high time I start feeling happy about hair and not have this cycle of stress. IT doesn't matter what stylist I go too. Always the same. First time great, second time go in with same request and walk out with something totally different. I even bring pictures of my own cuts and colors that they did for me! I saw i want THIS again and its like they see something totally different. UGH :)

Rushli
March 3rd, 2014, 08:50 AM
Based on the pictures I would let it grow. Based on you wanting to like your hair (because I like it now)... I would either say cut it, or if you like it up, go buy some new hair toys to give you a fresh feeling when doing your hair. Flexi 8s give lots of options :)

Agnes Hannah
March 3rd, 2014, 09:18 AM
Erin don't cut as your hair is gorgeous in the longer picture!! I grew mine from a bob, which was graduated and had some layers in the bottom, but I grew these out. However, yours is longer now than mine was then it would be a shame to loose the length you have.
Have you tried to curl it a little, scrunching may help to give some waves which may help you get through this difficult stage. Can you french braid ang tuck the ends up or use a claw and make a messy bun?
good luck with your final decision.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2014, 09:26 AM
Will you look at page 3 and tell me thoughts on bob vs grow out option? :)

Grow out, definitely. I would not get rid of the length you have!

ositarosita
March 3rd, 2014, 09:39 AM
I think your hair looks great .. if it tangles I can understand getting a trim and slowly removing the layers. If it was done with a razor I can understand why it tangles. I would slowly cut it away (that's actually what I'm doing now)

MeAndTheMaz
March 3rd, 2014, 10:13 AM
Just to throw some more options into the mix. What say you get a trim with the new stylist, then that way, if (after?) she totally effs it up, you still have a little length to work with to get it fixed. Might cost you a little more in time and money, but it gives you the possibility of another option. You might actually strike gold, and wind up with something that'll tide you over.

BTW, like others have said, I don't think your hair looks so bad. Then again, we've only got static photos to look at, and don't have it's issues to deal with.

ETA: I'd also say grow it out. I'm not a big fan of the bob anyway, so I may not be the best one to give an objective opinion. However, as we all know, you're not here to decorate my, or anyone else's world.

diddiedaisy
March 3rd, 2014, 10:39 AM
I would grow it. I have the same style as you but with a fringe. It's a couple of inches past collar bone but my shortest layers are chin!!! I think your hair looks nice so I personally would grin and bear it and just micro trim.

I cut about two inches off mine in January cause my ends looked see through. But now I've grown half an inch back they're see through again. I have decided just to live with them though and eventually trim out my layers when I get to apl to thicken my hemline otherwise with my slow growth I'll never get there. I really regret cutting as I might be past the flippy stage by now.

MiaBeth
March 3rd, 2014, 10:40 AM
I'm in the same boat now! Your hair looks just fine ... not like it was chewed by a cat. If you cut the back to match the front, it looks like you'll lose a lot of length! I'm doing half ups to get the annoying sides out of my face. Maybe you can do this until the layers are longer and less annoying?

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 10:43 AM
I really appreciate all the feedback. BAsed on my feelings today after discussing I am going to leave it alone for now and give it some time to grow a bot before making any major decisions. IF my goal is to get to at least APL I wont get there by cutting, even though I hate the cut.

Maybe it will get better as it grows. If it doesn't then I will cut, but at least i bu then some of the shorter layers will have time.
I guess I am not ready to give up my hairsticks.

I will think about one last time by the 19th and then decide for sure. But at least I wont be running out and doing anything hasty right now as I was considering.

If anyone wants to see the pics I removed just ask and I will put up for little bit again all in one post together. I AM Just not used to face on internet so I try to keep it in short does, like for an hour or so...That is what works for me :).

ReneeG
March 3rd, 2014, 10:55 AM
Such a hard decision! It comes down to whether you can be happy with the bob for a few months while It grows out, or if you want the length despite the razored cut. It sounds like you are really fed up with the cut, so I would say to cut it to make yourself happy, but if you'll be less happy without your length then you wouldnt be doing yourself a favor, especially since its not an issue of damage, just of an unflattering cut. You ultimately have to prioritize length or style.

I've been slowly dusting my layers trying to grow them out to a more blunt hemline for awhile now, and every time I get a healthy trim and the layers are not as noticeable, I find myself happier because it actually feels and looks longer and healthier! However, my priority is definitely length as I don't have enough patience to grow it out again if I were to cut out the layers, and I'm not big on styling my hair anyways.

Hope this helps in any way, good luck on your decision!

ExpectoPatronum
March 3rd, 2014, 11:02 AM
If this has been suggested before, I apologize but my head doesn't wanna read through five pages :/

I say let it grow until your layers are at the next milestone, so to speak. Maybe trimming off the longest piece a little as you go. Once the layers are grown to that spot, then cut it.

~Abi~
March 3rd, 2014, 11:04 AM
I just wanted to say that my hair is right about the same length as yours, with layers. Okay, maybe mine's just a bit longer. I get irritated at the layers too, although my hair is so thick that if I didn't have the layers at my length, I'd be dealing with a bunch of poof. I've decided to just slowly trim the layers out. Definitely, I would suggest getting a trim with a new stylist, and making it absolutely clear that you don't want the layers to be trimmed too.

And I'm sorry if I'm hijacking the thread here, but how do you put your hair up in hairsticks? I just got to be able to do a bun with my length, and that's using elastics. I'd love to use hairsticks instead, but I can't see how on earth they'd stay...

MeAndTheMaz
March 3rd, 2014, 11:13 AM
If anyone wants to see the pics I removed just ask and I will put up for little bit again all in one post together. I AM Just not used to face on internet so I try to keep it in short does, like for an hour or so...That is what works for me :).

You could always "redact" your face. Just "paint" over the bits you don't want hanging out there for all the world to see.

RapunzelKat
March 3rd, 2014, 11:34 AM
Personally, I say put it up and forget about it. Don't fuss with it, measure it, or take pictures. Just put it up and let it grow. :) At the end of your one-month waiting period, take a look and be happily surprised by the growth.

In the meantime, learn some self trimming methods so you can gradually cut out the layers yourself. This will remove all the stress of going to a salon and worrying about getting a bad cut. Then, once you've gotten rid of the layers, you'll have more freedom to wear it down. I think this would make you happier in the long run, but it's just my :twocents: of course :)

However, if you get to the end of your waiting period and your ends are split/damaged, go ahead and get the cut. Damaged ends will only slow your growth down in the long run. Also, if you're just miserable having it up all the time, go ahead and cut.

You've given yourself a good time frame to think abot it, so I'm sure you'll be able to figure out what's best for you. :) Whatever you decide, best of luck! :flower: It's always tough to know what's best for your hair during those awkward phases, and I can imagine that the inconsistent results you've gotten from stylists makes it much harder!

Brattina88
March 3rd, 2014, 12:13 PM
I had really really short hair, and I hated it. I grew it out, and then cut layers very similar to your first "example" pic. Maybe a little shorter, it was off of my shoulders. The grow out process was the worst... People we telling me I needed a hair cut, my hair looked bad/shaggy/in desperate need of a trim, etc.

I waited until my top most short layer was to my shoulders. Then I went for the big chop. All one length. I knew it was more hair than I thought when the lady at best cuts kept saying "Are you sure? Are you sure? I could just fix your long layers." But I knew how bad it looked and I knew my ends were bad so I told her I wanted it all one length so I could braid it back easily and so we had the big chop :scissors:

There was soooo much hair on the floor. And the first time I washed my hair after that, I may have cried.

BUT... the reason I wanted to share my experience is.... I think you should wait. I wished I'd waited a little longer.... but now that I am looking back I'm glad I did it at shoulder length because its growing out sooooo much nicer now :) I know how you feel though because she cut mine angling away from my face with a razor and it felt panic-inducing looking at them (like your pic) during the grow out process. Good thing it's hair and it grows back :o lol

LadyCelestina
March 3rd, 2014, 12:23 PM
I would cut it.Tried growing out layers.Could not keep up with microtrimming and they slowly got worse ( at waist,I have some taper and this showed on the longest bits).
So one day I realized how sad those things looked hanging down my back and cut it all off at APL or BSL or something like that.

Chromis
March 3rd, 2014, 12:42 PM
If this has been suggested before, I apologize but my head doesn't wanna read through five pages :/

I say let it grow until your layers are at the next milestone, so to speak. Maybe trimming off the longest piece a little as you go. Once the layers are grown to that spot, then cut it.

Haha, EP, I think you and I must follow each other around beating one another to the punch!

This is exactly as I would recommend. For now, put it up and leave it be. There will always be an awkward grow out period from that length. If you keep cutting it will just take longer, so to me it is better to power through it. I really like cutting about an inch past my milestones. I still get to enjoy the milestone length and a new fresh hemline then. Around the length you are now was utterly maddening to me when I was growing out, so I feel your frustration!

Also I think layers and fine hair are an even worse idea than I already think layers are in the first place. Then you have even less hair volume at the hemline and it typically looks quite wispy. It's your choice, and I see plenty of people who purposefully get cuts like yours around here, but it is not a choice I would want to go with myself.

I'd skip the claw clips too. Most of them have pretty rough seams and grabby springs. You can sand them smooth sometimes...but it is still a claw clip...not the most attractive or grown-up feeling option when you are already feeling down about your hair. Try a nice hairfork! Putting your hair up is much more fun if you like the tool you are using or love the style. I advocate for learning new styles when you have the urge to cut :flower:

sarahthegemini
March 3rd, 2014, 12:50 PM
Hi Erin, I personally think you should cut it purely because you sound so unhappy in threads where you mention your own hair. Growing hair is a journey and what's the point making yourself miserable? It does sound like cutting it would be the better option: no more pesky layers, microtrimming will be easier, and you'll be able to see your growth progress much easier too. Your layers seem to give you so much grief, think about what would make you happier. And you can always use grips along with hairsticks when putting your hair up :)

eta: You always give great, thoughtful advice to others and it's such a shame that you are so unhappy with your own hair :flowers:

Wisé
March 3rd, 2014, 02:07 PM
As so many have spoken before me, there is not much to add and the final decision is always yours.

But I'd still like to share my thoughts on decisions in general and in your case as someone who thinks and posts a lot about your hair especially:
Don't look back after you decided!

If you cut it, enjoy the look in the mirror, but refrain from guessing how long it will take to grow or measuring often. Spend no thoughts on how long it "could have been".
If you keep it at its length, put it consequently up and find styles you like and if you don't like how it looks down don't wear it down ever, or you will be tempted to cut again.

From what you tell, most of your frustrations comes from hairdressers. Avoid them wherever possible. Let it be your last cut in a salon if you cut a bob. Once it's blunt, you can trim it yourself or ask a friend to do it. Oh, and take someone with you to the salon who can watch the stylist and warn you before s/he can make the first cut when s/he not doing what you asked for. They will think twice about it when being watched.
If you keep it long, I advise you to not go to the salon for microtrims. Do it yourself or again ask a friend. Your hair looks long enough to use feye's instructions. It not only saves you money but will also make sure no hairdresser can abuse your hair.

I have nothing against going to hairdressers in general, but you tried so often and it didn't work for you: So don't go to salons!

Macaroni
March 3rd, 2014, 02:09 PM
No, I'd leave it be and wear it up until I could micro trim. Maybe as it grows the layers wouldn't look so obvious.

Firefox7275
March 3rd, 2014, 02:11 PM
If you can get to a curly hair specialist you might consult with them. With good LHC/ Curly Girl practices even my colour damaged hair at its worst (APL) didn't need cutting for six months and only then because the bottom was straggly not split or velcro, so I can't see why your layers even need dusting. I wonder if it is the blow frying - the brushing not just the heat?

walterSCAN
March 3rd, 2014, 02:27 PM
I agree with everyone telling you not to cut it yet-- I really wouldn't, at least until your shortest layers get to where you can put them up. Once they get there, I'd have the longest inch or so removed, grow an inch, trim an inch, etc, until you get to your goal. For those trims, however, I definitely wouldn't go back to any stylists that have given you bad cuts/ color before. Is there a barber anywhere near you? Seriously, I'd check around for one. A LOT of members have reported being very happy with the cuts they've received from barbers (ask chen bao jun about her recent trim), who (almost across the board-- obviously some barbers will be different) do exactly as asked and nothing more. IF I get a professional cut ever again, I'm going to try to find a barber to do it. I'm just had way too many bad experiences with hairdressers to be willing to go back to one.

Good luck!

Weewah
March 3rd, 2014, 02:27 PM
I think if you hold off on cutting it, the layers will start flipping out less since they'll be past your shoulders. I think it looks good and healthy as it is right now, the layers don't look like damaged split ends to me. I think any stylist you find will be tempted to cut the layers shorter again. If you power through this awkward growing out phase I think you'll be happy with yourself in a few months. :)

dancingpoet
March 3rd, 2014, 02:43 PM
I would say it depends on how much you like putting your hair up, and whether you want your hair to be blunt or not. I have never had hair that short myself in my remembered life, but my mom did. She always ended up cutting it when it hit the "flippy" stage because she hated it, instead of just waiting a little while for it to pass. If you cut it, you'll hit the flippy stage again, but it would be all one length. If you don't, you have the option of putting it up and forgetting about it. In the end, it all comes down to whatever makes you happy. It doesn't matter how much anyone says that it looks nice, if you don't like it, that won't help. Eventually, you will reach your goal either way.

TheIronMaiden
March 3rd, 2014, 02:52 PM
I would keep it, or at least go by the two weeks rule.

maskedrose
March 3rd, 2014, 03:09 PM
I'd go for the bob, if I was in your shoes. It's short enough now that while you'd be losing length, you're still in "short" territory. I currently have layers that start at APL and go down to hip...and I just can't face cutting THAT much off, even though I can't stand the layers and the associated thinness. However, if the choice was collar bone to mid-neck/shoulder, I would definitely go for it.

Ambystoma
March 3rd, 2014, 03:52 PM
When I had layers that I hated (they were put in without asking me!) I kept it the same length by trimming the bottom until they had grown out, but I remember they looked better and better every month as they caught up to the hemline - so you might not hate it throughout the whole growing process. I would definitely start self trimming if I were in your shoes, if you've been having this many communication problems with all the hairdressers you've tried, I wouldn't expect them to be able to follow a new simple request any better than any of the simple requests you've given them so far.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2014, 03:55 PM
I would definitely start self trimming if I were in your shoes, if you've been having this many communication problems with all the hairdressers you've tried, I wouldn't expect them to be able to follow a new simple request any better than any of the simple requests you've given them so far.

This. ^^ Self-trimming isn't that hard, but it might be more challenging at shorter lengths (below APL). Get some help from your BF, mom, whoever is around to trim. You only need to move an elastic down the length and have someone snip a *tiny* bit off if you do want to start microtrimming.

jeanniet
March 3rd, 2014, 04:08 PM
I think in your shoes I would put off cutting for at least a couple of months to see how it grew out. I hate flippy bits like that, too, but they may not be too bad with a little more growth and the longer your hair is, the easier it will be to put up and ignore til it grows more.

Lazy Loop
March 3rd, 2014, 04:36 PM
I admire your hair, Erin! This is a real struggle for me, always. My hair has not gotten longer, but has changed dramatically, and I have (ack) chosen to cut!!
1. To remove as much damage
2. To remove as much color/bleach
3. To even up the growing layers/bangs

I'm thrilled to have normal hair right now, but it's collar length! Maybe this summer I'll get back to bun length.

I will always wonder where it would be today, if I had let it keep growing. Wrestled this decision, and came up short!
Here's my album (hot mess hair): http://http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=10247 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=10247)

Lazy Loop
March 3rd, 2014, 04:42 PM
P.S. You're hair has a lot more potential to look good as it grows, than mine did (yucky).
P.S.S. I have been happy with the back of my hair for awhile, but the last cut was because I couldn't stand having so much gap in the front, between bangs about mouth length sides/back about 4 inches longer. But I've seen friends do wonders with their growing layers by pinning layers aside, and pretty little hairline braids. They do wonders for evening out the look.
P.S.S. I cut my own hair, even this short and shorter, 99% of the time, all my life since a teen.

queenovnight
March 3rd, 2014, 05:09 PM
I personally would just put it up and forget about it. The layers will grow out eventually.

renia22
March 3rd, 2014, 05:41 PM
I missed some of the pictures before they got taken down, but I agree with the members who suggested just trimming the bottom. If the self trimming sounds too scary, I would ask around until you find a stylist who gets a lot of great feedback. Then "test" the person by asking for 1/4 inch trim just off the back. If the stylist can actually follow through on that, then maybe I would trust him/her with another cut. But maybe just trimming the back will be enough to satisfy the need for some "bluntness" without having to cut to a shorter length.

sumidha
March 3rd, 2014, 06:31 PM
I'd self trim and wear it up until it grows out, personally. But if you really love wearing it down, and can't find any way to wear it down that makes you happy, then cut it.

PamelaViktoria
March 3rd, 2014, 08:04 PM
I really like your hair in your siggy!

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 10:08 PM
P.S. You're hair has a lot more potential to look good as it grows, than mine did (yucky).
P.S.S. I have been happy with the back of my hair for awhile, but the last cut was because I couldn't stand having so much gap in the front, between bangs about mouth length sides/back about 4 inches longer. But I've seen friends do wonders with their growing layers by pinning layers aside, and pretty little hairline braids. They do wonders for evening out the look.
P.S.S. I cut my own hair, even this short and shorter, 99% of the time, all my life since a teen.

Your hair looks great!!! Thank you for sharing. I too am sick of the shorter sides, longer back. It feels like a mullet at this length. I think when I trim on March 20th I will ask to dust the layers and take a 1 inch of the back. It wont make the front look any shorter but I will feel more "even." I like what you have done with yours and that is the direction I am going to go.

I too plan on maintaining at a shorter length until hair is healthier. I would rather have CBL healthy hair than long damaged hair as I think that would be hard for me to work with.

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 10:21 PM
I really like your hair in your siggy!

Thank you:)

I missed some of the pictures before they got taken down, but I agree with the members who suggested just trimming the bottom. If the self trimming sounds too scary, I would ask around until you find a stylist who gets a lot of great feedback. Then "test" the person by asking for 1/4 inch trim just off the back. If the stylist can actually follow through on that, then maybe I would trust him/her with another cut. But maybe just trimming the back will be enough to satisfy the need for some "bluntness" without having to cut to a shorter length.

my lady used to be awesome at just dusting. I really need to talk to her and see if she feels able to do what I need. Otherwise, I already have a backup appt with someone else.
I agree with you, cutting the back would satisfy me. I wonder if I should not even dust the layers and just work ectra hard not to let them get damaged. I will try wearing hair up for until the layers catch up so they do not incur so much damage. Perhaps will be small sacrifice for long term payoff.

For the ones who think self trimming...is there a way to trim shorter hair? Any methods or videos you have seen, or ideas you can offer?

susieq998
March 3rd, 2014, 11:40 PM
See I feel like me and you are in the exact same situations. I hate the layers in my hair. They flip out all over the place and cause this little wispy effect. If you dont mind short hair I would say go for it. I want to do this but I don't think I could give up the length just yet. My hair does that thing where it looks broken all over too and it sucks this happens usually after washing it and will smooth out after a few hours. I still find it incredibly annoying. If I were you and this is just my opinion, I would wait until my shortest layer was just past your shoulders, then cut it all into a blunt cut. I think if you were to do it any sooner you would regret it. The plan with my hair is to let it grow till until I have reach ideal length then start trimming away the layers. It would be a big shock to you if you cut all the layers out. It would be much shorter if you cut right now. Oh and by the way your hair looks beautiful with the curls:) Just find ways to disguise the layers until then. experiment with up dos or even half up hairdos work really well with making them less noticeable. Oh and curls too I find my hair looks better if I curl it. Layers look beautiful when curled at least to me they do.

kitana97
March 3rd, 2014, 11:58 PM
Since I hate layers, I would personally cut it. Then again, I would hate to cut it. I'd say if you want to wear your hair down, and are currently unsatisfied with the cut, then go ahead and get a cut then you can tolerate. However, if you don't mind keeping it up, keep it how it is and wear it in a bun.

christiansummer
March 4th, 2014, 12:18 AM
I vote for letting it grow.
I've had the same issues with hairstylists for YEARS. I just trimmed it myself a few weeks ago, using Feye's method, and it's the first haircut in a long time that I've been really happy with. No more hairstylists for me. :D
So I would just put your hair up as much as you can, keep it oiled, and give yourself micro trims every four months or so.

eha
March 4th, 2014, 12:30 AM
imagine yourself with MBL or waist hair. what would the ends and layers look like on hair that long? would they bother you as much? would cutting them at that stage cause such a dilemma and stress? No? then just put up your hair, enjoy your toys and forget about it :D thats what Im doing

Wisé
March 4th, 2014, 07:14 AM
I agree with you, cutting the back would satisfy me. I wonder if I should not even dust the layers and just work ectra hard not to let them get damaged. I will try wearing hair up for until the layers catch up so they do not incur so much damage. Perhaps will be small sacrifice for long term payoff.

I wouldn't let a stylist dust the layers, because the chances of to much being cut off and you stuck at the same length for some time are way to high. Your layers don't look so far away from the rest, if you can bear it, let them grow.

For the ones who think self trimming...is there a way to trim shorter hair? Any methods or videos you have seen, or ideas you can offer?
I think most here use Feye's instructions (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/). Your length looks long enough to fit in a ponytail, so if you only want to cut the length you should be able to use it. It might be a bit hard to do it on yourself though, just ask someone else to do it for you.

bunzfan
March 4th, 2014, 07:42 AM
I really appreciate the reply. I was just looking at your hair actually in the last thread "cutting becasue hair wont grow"
I was using your photos to get estimates as well as just admiring!

Getting it as close to one length as possible seems the best way to grow. It's easier to trim since you can just microtrim bottom and not risk layers getting hacked. It visually appears longer without layers so you are happier in grow-out phase, and it just looks stylish in all stages of growth. I actually would love some thickness also as my hair is baby fine so that is even something to look forward too. I feel now it just looks like a billy goat chewed on the bottom of my hair :)

Thanks again for adding your comments. It gives me something positive to think about.

I dont know if this helps but, i have grown out several layers they are a pita , for me i wanted to wear it up so i grew it till i couldn't stand them any longer apl-mbl (10 months) then chopped back to bsl to be rid of most of them and that made a huge difference to the overall thickness and put it up ability ..if you could wear it up it helps you forget the growth thing and protects the ends alot more.

I'm currently growing out thinned out sides (dont ask silly stylist) i'm 2 years down the line and because she thinned it from chin to waist its taken me years to grow it out at it's worst i micro trimmed but having shorter hair i dont know if that is a option for you? they are now at about waist so i'm no trimming this year so i can cut most of what's left in the new year.. if length is more important i would seriously recommend just not trimming and putting it up.

Ambystoma
March 4th, 2014, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't let a stylist dust the layers, because the chances of to much being cut off and you stuck at the same length for some time are way to high. Your layers don't look so far away from the rest, if you can bear it, let them grow.

I think most here use Feye's instructions (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/). Your length looks long enough to fit in a ponytail, so if you only want to cut the length you should be able to use it. It might be a bit hard to do it on yourself though, just ask someone else to do it for you.

Exactly, you could do the "hair over the front" stage yourself and just get someone else to do the "all hair in a pony in back" part, it will only take them 30 seconds so it shouldn't be too hard to bribe a friend to help. If you're worried they'll cut too much (and it really is just the tiny point that you trim at that stage) then set up 2 mirrors, one in front, one in back so that you can see exactly what they're doing. Also, the best part about doing self trims is that no one's gonna laugh at you if you only take off 1/4 or 1/8" at a time until you're confident with the technique - you get to choose exactly how much comes off every time.

I think your hair is short enough that even with the old damage you would be able to get away with not dusting the layers and just letting them catch up - I know you look after it so well these days so I'd leave them be and see how they feel in a few months.

Maid M
March 5th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Hi :) I am new member here and have lurked for a few months now. I have often thought how similar our hair is - being fine and the layers - oh the layers! They really get me down too and I hate how much thinner it now makes my hair look. I have been debating the exact same question and have decided to keep as much length as I can with just a dusting of my layers whenever I think they need it. I just know if I cut now I will regret it so will reevaluate when my longest layer is below my shoulders. Besides, I think your hair is looking quite lovely - we are always our own worst critic. Good luck!

hairpleasegrow
March 5th, 2014, 09:22 PM

This is really good advice. I recently did a cut to get rid of layers and damage and I regret it!!! If i could do it again i would not have cut. I would have done everything but. Thats just me though

My boyfriend says "dont fret it, just set it and forget it" ;)

ErinLeigh
March 6th, 2014, 02:25 AM
Thank you all for the comments. I really could not decide. Your encouragement helped more then you know.
I'm leaving it alone. It's not splitting. No white dots. Its time to power the through. I will microtrim on the 19tg to test the lunar calendar method and that's it. Time to just let these layers grow out naturally. Once it is APL I will see if the bottom needs taken up. That's less than a year away so I just need patience and to be gentle until then. I am glad I posted this as I had fully planned on getting the bob the next day. I would still have layers, just less length. Length is everything with layers behaving. Above shoulder they flip so it needs length ( weight)

Thanks again.

Maid M!!! Thanks for comjng out of lurkkdome to help. I really appreciate that. Welcome. I hope to see more posts :)

Avital88
March 6th, 2014, 03:10 AM
I would def cut as a razor cut never promoted hairgrowth for me but blunt ends did.
I recently cut of my last long layers and now it's looking so much healthier and grows as a weed

Zebra Fish
March 6th, 2014, 05:56 AM
I'd go with the microtrimming or let it grow to the desired length (or the first milestone acceptable to you) and then microtrim there. I'm having pretty thin fairytale ends but I decided to reach waist (need 3cm maybe) and then stop there until needed to thicken the hemline before going on. Not saying its the best option.

ErinLeigh
March 6th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Avital strangely mine was not razor cut. It sure looks like it though. I will never understand how she got it like this.
I tried cutting to even it up but somehow she kept taking up the layers with the length. When I compare my hair 2 months ago vx my last but there is a big difference in how much more layering there is. I had told my stylis my plan was take the growth off the bottom and microtrim the layers (she is a great mictotrimmer) but for some reason she didnt follow things this time. I am left wary of cutting right now because I cannot find anyone do simply do what I ask (unless what I ask is their vision too)
It is so discouraging. I agree with you though. I can never get good length with layers. They tend to get more damaged than the rest of my hair. i can only assume it is because the layers are left more vulnerable since there are so many individual hairs at different length left to catch on combs, brushes etc? I feel hair is strongest on me when thickened without extreme layers. Is that what you found?

ErinLeigh
March 6th, 2014, 01:36 PM
I'd go with the microtrimming or let it grow to the desired length (or the first milestone acceptable to you) and then microtrim there. I'm having pretty thin fairytale ends but I decided to reach waist (need 3cm maybe) and then stop there until needed to thicken the hemline before going on. Not saying its the best option.

Ya i agree this will be best for now also for me. I think after trying the other way I am at a point to just let it grow and be left alone until I hit a milestone. Mine will be APL. Then I can see if I can take some off bottom and thicken up just a bit then carry on to next milestone and do the same.

I agree, its different for everyone what is best option. A big chop is helpful too but I am just so wary right now as I fear I will get a big chop PLUS more layers. It is such a mixed bag with stylists you just never know what you will get.

Aderyn
March 6th, 2014, 01:53 PM
I was just about to suggest waiting until you reach a length that is a bit longer (APL) and then reassesing the situation there. I feel APL is a bit easier to do self-trimming than the length you're at currently so you wouldn't need to rely solely on a hairdresser if you wait a bit.

Your hair looks lovely as is, by the way, and I wish you luck with growing your hair out. :)

ErinLeigh
March 6th, 2014, 02:08 PM
thank you very much :)

Chromis
March 6th, 2014, 02:09 PM
I was just about to suggest waiting until you reach a length that is a bit longer (APL) and then reassesing the situation there. I feel APL is a bit easier to do self-trimming than the length you're at currently so you wouldn't need to rely solely on a hairdresser if you wait a bit.

Your hair looks lovely as is, by the way, and I wish you luck with growing your hair out. :)

Yes, this! I notice a few of the people who have said to cut mentioned cutting their own hair *back* to APL. I mean sure, I wouldn't advocate growing all the way to waist with ends you dislike, but I still think it is better to at least get it to a length that is easier to live with even if you have to maintain it there for a while to take off the damage. The nice thing about shorter hair is that you have less damaged length at least!

I grew mine out from scratch. My own strategy was to trim enough to not have an unintentional mullet as it grew out, but I think yours is long enough to not have that problem by now. I didn't have true layers (though I have had them cut in many times in the past growing up and always had the same issues you are having!), but the strands were still different lengths kind of like layering just because they all had different distances to grow to get to the same (blunt) hemline if that makes any sense. Actually I get the same problem now that I have super long hair because more is always growing in so it is not all the same age. You know...I was totally going somewhere with that. I think I just left two mildly incoherent posts in a row. Time for more tea, clearly. It's not even late here!

Amahaitz
March 6th, 2014, 03:31 PM
If it were me, I would cut it into a blunt bob because the layers and wispies would bother me, but it definitely does not look bad at all the way it is!

Maid M
March 6th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Awww thanks ErinLeigh. We can get through this frustrating layering and growing thing together! Bring on APL!

rowan fire
March 6th, 2014, 11:07 PM
I'm growing out layers that make my hemline pretty thin. I've always had the same length hair and I very much regret having layers cut, or at least ones that were so much shorter than the length.

I think fairy tale ends look really nice on some people but on myself I'd prefer a blunt hem.

I wish I could talk myself into cutting back several inches so my hem would be blunt, but I'm finally just about to hit my goal length and I don't want to lose the length :(

I'm personally just going to trim back a small amount each month until the hem is how I'd like it. Maybe here and there I'll take an extra bit, but I think I'd be a little too upset to look in the mirror and find my hair so much shorter.

I think of it this way. You can very easily take a little more off, but you can't add it back.

Best wishes with whatever you decide :)

hairaddiction
March 6th, 2014, 11:14 PM
I had an inverted bob, so I feel your pain. I went for dustings only when I got to shoulder length. Based on your relationship with your stylist, I'd probably find a new one just for this cut and then grow grow grow!