PDA

View Full Version : Making waves for a bun

tlover
March 3rd, 2014, 02:11 AM
Ok, I'm not sure how I should explain this but I'll try.

I have straight hair but I love that kind of old fashioned way to make buns when your hair is wavy Before it gets to the bun (like this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2317314/Great-Gatsby-fever-Give-hair-Roaring-Twenties-twist-FEMAILs-online-tutorial.html ).
My grandmother wears her hair like that (but with a bun higher up) but she has a Little wavy hair already and she has so thin hair that she just let it dry in hair rolls, My hair takes ages to dry so I Think that would be impossible for me.

I don't want to use heat or other hair damaging ways so if thats really the only way for my thick hair I'll just leave it be. I have no experience of curling my hair the few times in my lifetime it have been curled others have done it on my hait, and used heat. (have have a few foam curling things that I have never tried maby I could use them?)

Ambystoma
March 3rd, 2014, 02:23 AM
If your hair is like mine and takes a million years to dry (8+ hours in the summer and up to 12 in winter :justy:) a great way to do heat free curls is to just spritz your dry hair with a little water from a spray bottle before bed - that way you can be sure they'll be dry in the morning :) I have foam rollers too and like them to get curl on the ends and mid lengths of my hair, but to get root lift like in that tutorial you'll need to use rigid rollers or do standing pincurls (which sounds like what your grandmother is doing) - there are lots and lots of tutorials on youtube and elsewhere, since vintage setting techniques are getting more and more popular these days, but I'd avoid wet setting (straight from a wash on towel dried hair) because if you have a long dry time and thick hair it might get pretty frustrating waiting for it to dry, and damp curls tend to frizz and drop.

tlover
March 3rd, 2014, 02:27 AM
If your hair is like mine and takes a million years to dry (8+ hours in the summer and up to 12 in winter :justy:) a great way to do heat free curls is to just spritz your dry hair with a little water from a spray bottle before bed - that way you can be sure they'll be dry in the morning :) I have foam rollers too and like them to get curl on the ends and mid lengths of my hair, but to get root lift like in that tutorial you'll need to use rigid rollers or do standing pincurls (which sounds like what your grandmother is doing) - there are lots and lots of tutorials on youtube and elsewhere, since vintage setting techniques are getting more and more popular these days, but I'd avoid wet setting (straight from a wash on towel dried hair) because if you have a long dry time and thick hair it might get pretty frustrating waiting for it to dry, and damp curls tend to frizz and drop.

Thanks! You're so smart I never though of that :)

Edit: how damagin are hair rollers? Is it "you can make it after every wash" (my grandmother does so, she only washes her hair once a week), or is it "when you want to look extra nice"?

Ambystoma
March 3rd, 2014, 02:31 AM
Haha thanks - it's more like "been there, done that, learnt my lesson" though :laugh:

tlover
March 3rd, 2014, 02:33 AM
Now that I have searched on youtube I noticed that it's the same kind of rolls that my husband have been declared an "expert" on at the retirement hone he used to work at

Ambystoma
March 3rd, 2014, 02:56 AM
Edit: how damagin are hair rollers? Is it "you can make it after every wash" (my grandmother does so, she only washes her hair once a week), or is it "when you want to look extra nice"?

Not at all unless you use ones that are rough and might catch in your hair (I covered my velcro ones in satin so they are smooth and nice) or roll them too tight to your scalp so they pull, or don't use care removing the clips holding them in place. I use different kinds of rollers and different placements all the time too since I like to play with styles, but this is also good for your hair, since the very same styling every day, just like the exact same bun or ponytail in the same place all the time isn't that good for it over time. Congrats on having an expert at home too! I wouldn't even let my other half comb mine even though I know he'd do his best so you're very lucky :)

edit: One tip for rolling with longer hair is to not try and start at the ends like a lot of the shorter haired girls in the videos do (arms don't reach anyway :laugh:) but start in the middle, then wrap the ends, then roll towards the scalp.