PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried this treatment?

cdonald2
March 2nd, 2014, 08:06 PM
http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod4180991 it smells funny and minty, i use it everytime i bathe or shower, and for some reason, its allowed me to stretch my washes. I bought it figuring why not? im 10 bucks away from a free gift on here (which i got and is awesome btw)

But anywho, curious if anyone tried this and how it worked, it got some pretty good ratings :)

ositarosita
March 2nd, 2014, 10:29 PM
I haven't used it but there are about a dozen reviews on it on youtube..(it's not available in my area)

Islandgrrl
March 2nd, 2014, 10:59 PM
I've not tried it, but here is the ingredient list:

Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetrimonium Chloride, Saccharum Officinarum Extract, Bis-PEG-12 Dimethicone Beeswax, Hexylene Glycol, Creatine, Betaine, Citrus Medica Limonum Fruit Extract, Quaternium-91, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Laneth-40 Maleate/Styrene Sulfonate Copolymer, Pelvetia Canaliculata Extract, Laminaria Digitata Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Dimethiconol, Hydroxypropyl Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Cetrimonium Methosulfate, Pyrus Malus Fruit Extract, Hexyl Cinamal, Camellia Sinensis Extract, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Hexapeptide - 11, Potassium Sorbate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Coumarin, Magnesium Chloride, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Magnesium Nitrate, EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, CI 60730 (Violet No. 2), CI 15985 (Yellow No. 6), CI 17200 (Red 33).

I'm wary. The fifth ingredient listed is cyclopentasiloxane, a silicone. I haven't really gone through the remainder of the ingredient list, but that's a stand out.

cdonald2
March 3rd, 2014, 01:04 AM
Does that mean that it likely doesnt work? i thought silicones werent really that bad? that they just covered damage.

joflakes
March 3rd, 2014, 02:28 AM
I've used it before & found it to make me shed more! :(

cdonald2
March 3rd, 2014, 03:18 AM
I've used it before & found it to make me shed more! :(

Yikes o.o i wonder if i should just pitch it

The-Young-Maid
March 3rd, 2014, 06:07 AM
Everyone's hair is different, If you like it continue using it. Silicones aren't bad either. My hair needs them to be manageable.

veryhairyfairy
March 3rd, 2014, 07:58 AM
Based on the ingredients Islandgrrl posted, I'd say this is a protein treatment. It also has a few ingredients that could cause buildup over time.

I don't think you should stop using it, but you may want to keep an eye out for dryness, breakage, and extra tangles (signs of too much topical protein and/or buildup).
And I don't see anything there that would help with growth from the scalp. You might be better off adding a drop of some kind of mint extract or essential oil to your shampoo or a rinse. :shrug:

ErinLeigh
March 3rd, 2014, 08:05 AM
BEE MINE has a sulfer based treatment for growth that is cone free if you are worried about cones. Doo gro has one, and also there is another that I cannot remember the name of. I thnk sulfer is supposed to stimulate growth but I dont know if it has been proven or not.

The important things is..how does it feel on your hair? You you enjoy it? Are you noticing good things, bad or indifferent results?
Since you already bought it why not give it a shot for a trial period and see what your think? IF you don't like it at least you know you tried it instead of wondering "what if" The reviews had people who thought it make hair feel nice and thick and smooth so its worth at least 2 or 3 attempts before wasting $. Even if it doesn't grow more hair, smooth and thick sounds like a good thing :)

I hope it works out for you! :)

tigereye
March 3rd, 2014, 11:23 AM
Cyclopentasiloxane is a silicone. It's not water soluble, but it's chemical properties means it doesn't build up as easily as your regular silicones like amodimethicone and such.
I'd personally have to stay away from it because I can't use SLS to clarify (allergies), but sometimes that fine coat of slip is what people need. If it improves your hair, then why not? Ive not used it, but can give a quick run-down on ingredients IslandGrrl gave.

Aqua (Water)
Cetearyl Alcohol -usually the main component of vegetable-based emulsifiers. It's not really as drying as people think - the alcohol group is what let's it emulsify the oils and water
Cetyl Alcohol - same purpose as above (vegetable emulsifying waxes are oftenmade of more than one ingredient)
Propylene Glycol - humectant, a form of mineral oil
Cyclopentasiloxane - silicone
Cetrimonium Chloride - topical antiseptic, conditioning agent in hair products
Saccharum Officinarum Extrac - sugar cane
Bis-PEG-12 Dimethicone Beeswax - silicone ester of beeswax compounds, moisturiser, emollient and stabiliser. Can't find info on its solubility, but it's structure suggests to me that it's likely to be somewhat water soluble, and so less likely to build up from its silicone component
Hexylene Glycol - alters viscosity (thickness of a liquid) and is typically used as a solvent for dissolving other compounds
Creatine - it is made from amino acids in the liver of most mammals, but is usually made synthetically for hair/body/supplement etc. products. Whether it's the kind of protein that can actually be useful in hair-care, I'll reserve judgement for now.
Betaine - what we pharmacologists call a zwitterion - has a a positive end and a negative end. It protects cells (und thus probably your hair) from osmotic stress. Ie. In terms of hair, it prevents loss of water in dry or relatively high-temperature environments by attracting water molecules with its two polar groups. When inside cells naturally, it protects against dehydration.
Citrus Medica Limonum Fruit Extract - lemon
Quaternium-91 - conditioning agent, anti microbial, anti-static agent (due to a charge on the ion), some mild surfactant action (honestly the conditioning part of this molecule is present in a lot of conditioning molecules. These type of structures are probably the reason it's possible to CO, as it attracts the oil)
Parfum (Fragrance) - exactly what it says on the tin. Probably synthetic since natural are usually listed as ingredients.
Sodium Laneth-40 Maleate/Styrene Sulfonate Copolymer - styling agent and emulsifier. Tends to leave a film until rinsed out, but is water soluble
Pelvetia Canaliculata Extract- a type of algae found in Europe
Laminaria Digitata Extract - a type of seaweed
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol - silicone-protein polymer. Might build-up, might not. Hard to tell by structure alone. Some claim it's water soluble :shrug:
Dimethiconol - silicone
Hydroxypropyl Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride - conditioning and anti microbial. see quaternary-91 above. Similar thing.
Cetrimonium Methosulfate - as above
Pyrus Malus Fruit Extract - European crab apple (this is actually the old, obsolete name - it should be malus sylvestris)
Hexyl Cinamal - more accurately, Hexyl cinnamaldehyde, a fragrance naturally found in chamomile - it is a class B allergen, so test first.
Camellia Sinensis Extract - tea, as in black tea, green tea etc.
Methylparaben - preservative and anti fungal, often in combination with Propylparaben. An E-number preservative in food, but also occurs naturally in many fruit. There is debate over its safety if ingested, which you do naturally (especially through food like blueberries), but on your hair, there's not much to worry about
Propylparaben - as above
Phenoxyethanol - an antibacterial, and preservative.
Sodium Chloride - table salt
Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch - essentially maltose, which is a basic sugar molecule - two molecules of glucose stuck together
Hexapeptide - 11 - a small protein molecule. Might be too long to be useful to hair, but I don't know
Potassium Sorbate - preservative
Butylphenyl Methylpropional - another outdated name, probably another fragrance. Test in case of allergy
Linalool -scent (downstream reactions form vitamin E, but not applicable for hair care) around 5% of population are allergic to the product created when Linalool naturally breaks down in the presence of oxygen - patch test may take up to 24hrs to show any reaction. Test first.
Benzyl Benzoate - fixative for scent, solvent for protein derivatives
Limonene - from citrus fruit, a fragrance, anti microbial, cleanser (increasingly used to remove oil from machines).
Coumarin -scent
Magnesium Chloride - it's a salt. Not much more to say.
Ethylparaben - see Methylparaben
Butylparaben -see Methylparaben
Isobutylparaben - see Methylparaben
Magnesium Nitrate - conditioner
EDTA - chelating agent, stabiliser
Methylchloroisothiazolinone - preservative usually used in combination with parabens and Methylisothiazolinone
Methylisothiazolinone - as above
CI 60730 (Violet No. 2), CI 15985 (Yellow No. 6), CI 17200 (Red 33) - colour

So in short, lots of conditioning agents, protein, silicone (and derivatives) and preservatives. I'd watch out for protein overload, and probably alternate with a protein-free conditioning treatment to keep the moisture levels up. Some of the silicones could build up, but if you're using a sulphate shampoo and clarifying occasionally I don't see much of a problem if your hair likes it.

Firefox7275
March 3rd, 2014, 11:40 AM
Amodimethicone is a newer amine functionalised silicone so resists building up according to polymer scientist Tonya McKay. Something can be water soluble and highly substantive so still build up: hydrolysed proteins for example. Sciencey Hairblog reckons guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride is a polyquat that can build up.

tigereye
March 3rd, 2014, 01:57 PM
Amodimethicone is a newer amine functionalised silicone so resists building up according to polymer scientist Tonya McKay. Something can be water soluble and highly substantive so still build up: hydrolysed proteins for example. Sciencey Hairblog reckons guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride is a polyquat that can build up.

I was merely going by structure and probable related mechanisms. There's little research on the compound itself. Unfortunately, that's pretty common in the cosmetic industry. I reckon guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride will build up to some extent, but less so than a number of lipid-soluble silicones. Amodimethicone requires a layer to be present in order to repel more deposit from building up, so it forms a thin layer.
Silicones are different to protein in that it does not penetrate the hair-shaft, but sits on top, which makes a remarkable difference to the effect water-solubility has.