PDA

View Full Version : Things you didn't realize you liked about long hair until it wasn't there

tommyboy
March 1st, 2014, 04:00 PM
I was thinking about this today when i was playing soccer. I miss my hair going crazy when I am running around and especially on headers. My mom has a pic of me in high school heading the ball that looks pretty awesome, like an explosion. Also being able to fiddle with it when I am thinking, which I didn't realize I did until it was gone.

tommyboy
March 1st, 2014, 04:01 PM
Oops, supposed to say 'didn't realize', not the mess I wrote in the title

mod: fixed

fairhairedthing
March 1st, 2014, 04:08 PM
Never had really really long hair but I already miss, somehow, the feeling I imagine of the hair on my back out on a summer day by the beach. Would be neat.

alexis917
March 1st, 2014, 04:11 PM
My hair is thick, and I realized when I cut it off years ago I felt significantly less warm! XD

Sarahlabyrinth
March 1st, 2014, 05:11 PM
I never realised until I cut it off how well long hair protects me from cold draughts...

~honeyflower~
March 1st, 2014, 06:07 PM
When it was the summer of 2012, I decided to cut it so it could be healthier. But instead, I began to miss doing braids and various hairstyles. I guess, it was apart of me and I felt like a hairless lion. It's funny how hair becomes your character and once it's gone, its like living a different world. All you can think about is, how much longer? In the end, I am glad that I did it because I now relize how much I love my long hair.

RapunzelKat
March 1st, 2014, 08:56 PM
I missed being able to put mine up out of the way. I had a great deal of fun with short hair, and I've always been glad I did it but whoooo.... Does it ever get in your face! :lol: When I decided to let it grow again, it was a big relief when it got long enough for a ponytail.

tommyboy
March 1st, 2014, 09:26 PM
When it was the summer of 2012, I decided to cut it so it could be healthier. But instead, I began to miss doing braids and various hairstyles. I guess, it was apart of me and I felt like a hairless lion. It's funny how hair becomes your character and once it's gone, its like living a different world. All you can think about is, how much longer? In the end, I am glad that I did it because I now relize how much I love my long hair.

I can relate to that, it does kind of become part of you. This time around I'll definitely appreciate it more.

michelle1000
March 1st, 2014, 09:27 PM
A friend of mine is going to go from approx. 44 inches to a pixie sometime very soon She feels she needs a change & she was originally talking about being shaved BALD Oh so gross. At least now she is thinking about keeping a little I told her to take as many pictures as she can of her current look something I didn't do before I shaved mine. I have no before pics to compare to and I know my hair did not come back as good as it was before the shave. Someone said about that certain length when all it does is gets in your face How true I've been able to braid mine now for a couple of years but it just doesn't grow and it is not quite to my elbows Live and learn the hard way that's my way

PraiseCheeses
March 1st, 2014, 10:12 PM
The ability to tie it all back! I cut to chin when I was 22, and had not considered that not all my hair would be long enough to go into a ponytail. All I could do was wear pigtails for two months while it grew out. Given that the main reason for the chop was to look "more mature" (I was constantly mistaken for 14 or 15, and I was a grad student)... well, you can imagine how beneficial the pigtails were for my mature image! :p I actually got my cheeks pinched by multiple strangers. :shudder

I hated having it getting in my face, in my mouth, escaping hair ties, and worst - getting caught in the chin rest hardware on my violin. I didn't have the patience to monkey around with different styles or clips, so I just dealt with it and swore I'd never go that short again.

kganihanova
March 2nd, 2014, 09:40 AM
I missed just how........long it is. Long hair can be stunning, short hair can be cute. Nothing like it, really.

LongHairLesbian
March 4th, 2014, 10:39 AM
When I cut to chin length 3 years ago, I missed being able to tie my hair back, and keep it out of my face. People who think that short is "great for the summer and hot weather" haven't experienced the sheer relief of having hair long enough to bun off your neck!

shutterpillar
March 4th, 2014, 10:59 AM
I got my hair cut into a horrible shag cut that barely reached the bottom of my neck in the middle of July 2010. I thought it would make me feel cooler in the hot summer months, but really it did the opposite. I had sweaty hair sticking all over my face and neck, whereas if I had just left it long I could have put it up in a bun completely out of the way. As soon as it was cut, I immediately regretted that decision and began growing it out again.

I missed being able to put it up and let it air dry. That haircut needed all kinds of styling everyday to make it look nice.

Vallena
March 4th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Styling it, most definitely. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed putting it up or braiding it each day. It also was messier and harder to deal with. I also felt more... myself. My long hair was so tied with my identity, I didn't even realize it until it was gone. But now I still think of myself as someone with long hair, even though I am not right now.

AmyBeth
March 4th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Before I big chopped years ago, I used to sleep with my hair loose. After I chopped, I found myself waking up every time I turned over because my hair wasn't in the way anymore. I was so used to being careful not to pukl on it while I slept that not having it was such a distraction.

&rea
March 4th, 2014, 05:43 PM
I miss feeling it lay over my shoulders and down my back. I used to be able to feel it graze my elbow. Now it's not even APL :shrug: it'll get there again one day.

Tini'sNewHair
March 4th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Feeling it a the way down my back when it was hip length - I loved it so much, and placing it forward and stroking it out of boredom or if I was in deep thought plus I didnt realise how good it made me feel when people comented on it. Hopefully I can be back to hip in a year, I really miss that length so much!!!

see_turtle
March 4th, 2014, 06:14 PM
I missed having a long braid, feeling it on my back and having it to play with.

Saldana
March 4th, 2014, 06:38 PM
I miss being able to let it down and fluff it around me if I'm cold - it's like having a portable blanket any time I need one! I also miss being able to put it up with anything - a pencil, a twist tie, a knitting needle - without having all these layers slithering out of the updo. :-/ I guess I'm glad I cut it, it looked cute short, but I tell ya - I'm growing it and it's going to STAY grown. :)

tommyboy
March 4th, 2014, 08:05 PM
But now I still think of myself as someone with long hair, even though I am not right now.

Definitely relate to this. I picture myself as someone with long hair even though it's still growing back, and i don't really think I ever got used to looking at myself in the mirror with short hair.

Maurelle
March 4th, 2014, 08:23 PM
I missed the feel of my loose hair on my bare back. Now that my length has returned, I won't make the mistake of cutting it short again.

Wisteria
March 4th, 2014, 08:34 PM
After I cut it I missed the "cape" effect it made. It kept my neck and shoulders warm in the winter and that was great. The light/floaty feeling I got after the cut was totally not worth it. I also never realized how long my hair had truly been until after it was gone.

Snidget
March 5th, 2014, 12:33 AM
Like others have said, definitely being able to tie it back. Also, being able to tie it back without half of the ponytail eventually falling out. Short layers = bad ponytail!

I also missed not having to style it so much- long hair would just look cool simply being brushed, and I could just toss it in a ponytail, but short hair needed so much styling to look decent. I couldn't just let it air dry and have it look nice.

GoddesJourney
March 5th, 2014, 06:01 AM
Definitely relate to this. I picture myself as someone with long hair even though it's still growing back, and i don't really think I ever got used to looking at myself in the mirror with short hair.

Right there with you. I'm hoping for APL soon but I still expect it to be long and never feel like myself seeing it in the mirror or in pictures. It just looks like someone who looks like me. I almost expect to feel the weight of it when I let it down and try to fluff it even though it has been short for well over a year.

chen bao jun
March 5th, 2014, 09:13 AM
I agree with the people who said that what you miss when you have short hair is the ability to pull it up and back and that short hair is ALWAYS in your face. Andneeds so much styling,it drives me crazy. Never going there again.

Layton
March 5th, 2014, 11:09 AM
I grow out my hair for 4 months and straightened it and it became flat as hell. I cut about 3 inches off because it looks weird... kinda regret straightening and having to cut it off to make it look less weird

RubberDucky
March 5th, 2014, 12:29 PM
While I did like my pixie, I've been growing my hair again for the past seven months and I can't wait for it to get long again. I just miss the way it felt, like a part of me.

Achlys
March 5th, 2014, 12:46 PM
I missed having some of the longest hairs in my class (there were two or three of us with about waist length hair). I guess I liked such labels... But that's all, I think.