PDA

View Full Version : ponytail circumference measurements: have they changed for you?

Agnes Hannah
March 1st, 2014, 11:53 AM
Since joining LHC the size of my circumference has grown from 1.75" to 2.25" in about six months whilst the length has grown from 20" to 23". Has this happened to you too, please could you answer the following questions.

What was the size of your ponytail circumference when you started LHC?

What is the size of it now?

How long has your hair grown in length between the time when you joined and today?

Thank you for answering these questions.
x:)

maborosi
March 1st, 2014, 12:27 PM
I think I was at 3" when I joined LHC, and am at 3.25" now. I grew out my layers, and use henna, and am just nicer to my hair in general than I was 3 years ago.

~maborosi~

panffle
March 1st, 2014, 12:28 PM
It has for me, but my hair was much shorter before! When I started I was shoulder+ and the thin end of ii (I even classified myself as i/ii), now I'm at BSL+ (did lots of trimming... trying to stop) and the thick end of ii (I think it's about 9cm). :) Sorry, I don't have the exact measurements anymore.

Rio040113
March 2nd, 2014, 03:23 AM
When I first started lurking here (nearly 3 years ago now I think), my ponytail measured a solid 3". After losing a lot (to Trich), it was just under 2". Last time I checked (after ~6 months pull free), it was slowly thickening up and was 2.125". I think if I measured it now it might be a bit thicker, I've had people comment lately that it seems to be thickening up at my scalp and towards my nape, so it might just about show via the tape measure :D

ashke50
March 2nd, 2014, 03:34 AM
When I started here I had a circumference of almost 2.5 inches and length of 30. Now I have a circumference of 3 inches and length of 40. My hair seems thicker because I treat it better so it is less damaged, and less of it breaks off. I still have a fair amount of taper, which will hopefully decrease as my pre-LHC hair grows out.

lapushka
March 2nd, 2014, 06:30 AM
About 11" way back then. Because it was bleached, and dyed (henna and chemical), and whatnot. It somehow thickened my F hair strands. 4.25" right now and doesn't change (that much). We measured a couple times, but not anymore. It's tedious and obsessive to me. So I don't bother anymore.

QMacrocarpa
March 2nd, 2014, 06:52 AM
Circumference about 3.5" when I first measured in 2011. About 3" when I eventually plucked up my courage to measure after a big autumn 2012 shed. Might be a little thicker now, I do have a lot of short hairs coming in, but likely most of them still don't reach my ponytail. Length has changed from about 22" to 30"+ (measured with brushed out braid waves; not at max curliness). In part because of the shed, my ends are so thin and wispy now that it's not easy for me to determine where I land on the tape measure anymore, so I didn't bother to record a number when I did an LHC-style measurement at the start of the year, and I may not bother to measure again. In the past I determined that "waist" on me was about 33", and I think I'm a little bit past that body marker.

Henna Girl
March 2nd, 2014, 07:25 AM
Congratulations everyone. Wow! this is so impressive, I never knew that the thickness of the hair can be changed that much, I used to think it is all genetic. This is so inspiring! Thank you all for all the information. I only joined in very recently and still struggling with stretching time between washings. I haveI believe I have a long way to go.

flemeister
March 2nd, 2014, 07:57 AM
3" when I measured a few months ago, and 3.25" now that my layers are mostly past the ponytail elastic (growing out from buzz cut, no trims yet). :)

neko_kawaii
March 2nd, 2014, 08:17 AM
Congratulations everyone. Wow! this is so impressive, I never knew that the thickness of the hair can be changed that much, I used to think it is all genetic. This is so inspiring! Thank you all for all the information. I only joined in very recently and still struggling with stretching time between washings. I haveI believe I have a long way to go.

Keep in mind that all the examples of increased thickness in this thread so far have been recovery from something such as a shed or trich or damage. You may see an increase in thickness from better care but don't expect a dramatic increase.

Neneka
March 2nd, 2014, 08:21 AM
Mine was 7,5 cm/2,95'' when I joined here. Now it's 8 cm/3,15'' or was when I measured last time. Both measurements are from the time I had bangs. I have treated my hair way better so it's propably reduced breakage.

kganihanova
March 2nd, 2014, 09:32 AM
Not to hijack your thread but how do I measure ponytail circumference?

Neneka
March 2nd, 2014, 09:45 AM
kganihanova, I just make a ponytail and measure it's circumference with measuring tape from just under the hair tie. I use a normal hair tie that's not too thick.

ExpectoPatronum
March 2nd, 2014, 10:58 AM
When I started LHC, my thickness was just over 4 inches, putting me as a iii. Due to a lot of shedding, I went down to 3.5 inches. Now, a few months later, I'm right around 3.75". I really hope my thickness continues to thicken as my hair grows back. I'm also eager to see if it'll get thicker than where it was before.

Panth
March 2nd, 2014, 11:33 AM
Mine was (I think) 3"-ish when I joined and I had just cut back to TBL from a very raggy classic. After a year or so, it went up to 3 and 7/8" (definitely due to reduced damage, probably also recovering from stress-induced shed(s)) and that was around or just before classic.

Now, I'm down to 2.5" due to damage (having to wear a dust mask for work last autumn really shredded my nape hair) and a fairly big stress-induced shed. However, I'm also finally at knee and the thickness appears to be slowly coming back. ^_^

Beborani
March 2nd, 2014, 12:29 PM
Well yes but not due to 'lhc methods' exactly. I came to lhc because I was increasing my hair density (due to minoxidil). I wanted to grow it longer so I came here looking for new ideas to nurture it. I started out with immeasurable thickness under two inches--it was too sad to get an actual measure. A few months ago it was about 3 in and I will measure it again when I feel it is approaching 4 in. which it will in the next year or so. I dont recommend this method for everyone (I like to put that disclaimer in my posts as very young people also read these forums).

Michiru
March 2nd, 2014, 12:51 PM
Yes, mine use to be 3 something and now it's 2 something. I think it might be growing out my henna but I've been shedding like crazy too.

jeanniet
March 2nd, 2014, 02:28 PM
Keep in mind that all the examples of increased thickness in this thread so far have been recovery from something such as a shed or trich or damage. You may see an increase in thickness from better care but don't expect a dramatic increase.

This. If your hair is already in pretty decent condition, you're unlikely to see much, if any, increase in thickness (unless you do something like henna). Generally additional thickness is because there's less breakage, layers growing out, normal growth after a severe shed, etc. In other words, a return to the normal thickness for that head of hair. My thickness is about 5" and has been the same for years, but before I joined LHC any damage I had was mostly limited to some splits and no severe damage due to heat and so forth.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 2nd, 2014, 03:16 PM
When I started LHC, my thickness was just over 4 inches, putting me as a iii. Due to a lot of shedding, I went down to 3.5 inches. Now, a few months later, I'm right around 3.75". I really hope my thickness continues to thicken as my hair grows back. I'm also eager to see if it'll get thicker than where it was before.

When I joined LHC in 2012 my length was 19" and thickness 4.25". Last year I had a major stress induced shed which took my thickness down to 3.5".
I measured my thickness again a couple of days ago and it has gone back up to 4", hopefully to go further to 4.25 where it was before. My current length is coming up to 32".

Since joining here in 2012 I have grown 13" but have had 3" trimmed off so in total it would have been 16" if I had not trimmed.

ExpectoPatronum, I'm sure you will regain your lost thickness!

divinedobbie
March 2nd, 2014, 10:58 PM
When I first joined I measured a ponytail circumference of approximately 2.1 inches. I measured a month later and I got 2.6/7". I don't think it was an actual increase in thickness though...I thick I might have measured wrong the first time because I used a big scrunchie and measured about an inch above. I haven't checked in a month though.

I've only been on LHC for two months so not a lot of growth. I started with 26", cut to 24" at the end of January and I measured barely 24.5" about a week ago.

Agnes Hannah
March 3rd, 2014, 09:00 AM
When I started here I had a circumference of almost 2.5 inches and length of 30. Now I have a circumference of 3 inches and length of 40. My hair seems thicker because I treat it better so it is less damaged, and less of it breaks off. I still have a fair amount of taper, which will hopefully decrease as my pre-LHC hair grows out.

I think this is probably what is happening to me right now. It seems thicker because I'm taking better care of it and the results are showing in the increase of my circumference.

PamelaViktoria
March 5th, 2014, 06:39 PM
When I was a teenager, hairdressers used to say I had massive amounts of hair in the back, and not thick enough on top. But now it seems to be the same everywhere. Not sure if it thinned or tickened

woodswanderer
March 5th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I never can decide if I am measuring too tightly and compressing more than average.

Shibe
March 5th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Mine is thicker now that my layers are growing out.

Stray_mind
March 6th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Mine hasn't really changed. It was 3.14 inches first time i measured and now it's exactly the same.. Maybe i need more time for my hair to thicken up, because a lot of strands just broke off because of chemical damage..

untangleme
March 14th, 2014, 09:20 PM
I measure at ~4. My hair used to be thicker, but I lost quite a bit, presumably due to lack of nutrition from my ED.

BlazingHeart
March 15th, 2014, 02:02 AM
My hair was about 6.2" before I joined LHC and had a shed that brought me down to 5.8", where I stayed up until this winter. I had a massive shed that has me down to about 3.8.

When your hair thins, for whatever reason, it takes close to a year for regrowth to be measurable. If people are seeing changes to their thickness for any reason just a few month from whatever changed, it is far more likely that they have a measuring error than that their hair has grown that much. The average person grows 1/2" of hair a month, and anyone who has grown out from a very short cut will tell you that it takes a long time for hair to grow from very short to reaching a ponytail. I used to have unusually fast-growing hair at about 14" a year (so more than twice the average) and it still took most of a year to go from a pixie to getting all of my hair in a ponytail.

Achlys
March 15th, 2014, 03:11 AM
Mine used to be 2.4" until I had a shed a year ago. It's been 2" since, though I've been using henna. Then again, I've not been eating well.

Silverbrumby
March 15th, 2014, 08:18 AM
I started with a 2.6, went up to 2.9 then had a massive shed and back down to 2.5.

Currently regaining and back to 2.9.

Length is less because of massive shed. Started 27.5 three years ago and now, after trimming off all my bee growth in an attempt to thicken the hemline I'm at 24.5.

UP Lisa
March 19th, 2014, 12:52 PM
I was at 3" when I started here. Been at 2.5 for quite a while now. Not happy! Made it to BCL a few years ago, but have kept it shorter since. i do not like thin ends.

MadeiraD
March 19th, 2014, 12:56 PM
2.50 to 3 I think

tigereye
March 19th, 2014, 05:19 PM
I was at 4". I'm now at 3" thanks to a major medication-related shed. Thankfully, the shed has stopped, but I think it'll be a while before my thickness gets back down to my ends again.

Larki
July 11th, 2014, 04:50 PM
I was at 3.25" when I joined, and am currently at 3.7" (or 4" if I include my bangs in the ponytail).

lunalocks
July 11th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I was 3.25 inches plus one inch for the bangs when I joined and lost 1/4 inch or more with shedding after 2 surgeries but it came back. I have grown 10 inches net (that is, after trims) since joining. I have never kept strict measurements but am now with taking measurements the first of the month. I am also measuring 12 inches from the pony tail band and another 10 inches from that.

MINAKO
July 11th, 2014, 06:35 PM
I have been taking poper care of my hair way before joining LHC, so i can't really give an Answer to the circumference question in relation to the time span.
It's 4.8" to 5" and has been the same for quiet a long time now i guess. Maybe it was a bit more when my hair was curlier in texture during my teens. But it doesn't mean my hair has gotten thinner, it's just compacting in a diferent way.
When i joined here my hair was pretty exactly 95cm long and now i guess it's around 105cm (i dusted my ends twice during this time, so it's grown roughly 11cm in 6 moths which is alot in my case)

LadyCelestina
July 12th, 2014, 02:28 AM
Mine went from 9cm without bangs to around 10-11cm with bangs.I think that would make me an iii but given the fact my hair doesn't look as thick,it would be false advertising.Most ii/iii's look like my hair.

ETA: I went from APL to WL+ twice I think.

ETA: Looked at my pics,I cut to something below APL in 2012.

Loviatar
July 12th, 2014, 12:46 PM
I've been all over the place :lol:

From my old diary where I kept my stats:

When I joined: 3"
Using bleach and dye: 2.75"
using silicones: 2.5" - that was a shock!
Using henna: 3.5" to 4" depending on the cut and bangs etc
Using henna, good diet, no layers: 4.75"

Right now, no colour, growing-out bangs and layers: just under 3".
Bear in mind that the entire front section of my hair (anything further forward than where an Alice band would be) is too short to fit in that ponytail. So I assume I'll be back nearer 4" when I get all my layers and bangs evened out.

StickyMane
July 12th, 2014, 01:13 PM
When I joined it was 3.5" and 35 inches. Two months later, it's 3.6" and 36 inches. I was pleasantly surprised that it's actually gotten thicker because the shedding seems to have increased these past few months. Maybe it's because I've been washing it wayy less and not using a brush or comb anymore so I see more fall out than I would because it's not in a brush.

Silverbrumby
July 12th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I think I'm finally measuring correctly but what a bummer, I'm 2.5 when I put my hair in a hair elastic and measure behind the elastic.

Before I just grabbed a hand full and measured close to the scalp. At least now I can tell what's going on. I had a terrible monistat shed last September and I'm still recovering from that. I think I was 2.75 before that happened.

Ive stopped trimming a of January 2014 and have so far gained two inches. 25 to 27 which is the longest it's been. Hemline at this length is fairy tale.