PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever found a "black sheep" strand of hair?

BlueMajorelle
February 28th, 2014, 11:46 PM
I found a strand of hair growing in my hair today, never noticed it before. It's a over twice as thick as all the other hairs and almost black-- much darker than the rest. I had to chop it because it had a bad split in the middle, but still... Very random. Has anyone else has found a "surprise hair" on their head?

&rea
February 28th, 2014, 11:50 PM
Yes! I've found several. Mine have somewhat of a kinky texture. They aren't coiled, but they aren't smooth like the rest of my hair. Very strange. I wonder what causes them.

Dessi
March 1st, 2014, 12:02 AM
Lol yeah. Happened to me yesterday. I was very surprised too. Black and thick and got nothing to do with my other strands of hair. :D I don't know what causes them too.

Rushli
March 1st, 2014, 12:17 AM
Sort of along those lines.... I have 5 grey hairs just below my temple right along the hairline (aka very visible.) At age 30 you would not think much of them, but I have had them since I was 16.

ceruleansky
March 1st, 2014, 12:55 AM
It seemed like I had a bunch of them back when I was in middle/high school. The guy that sat behind me thought it was funny to pluck them out every now and then. I'm in my 30's now, I haven't looked for them, but haven't noticed any since then.

Hatsune Miku
March 1st, 2014, 01:00 AM
I remember, about a year ago, I found one hair that was dark brown, thick, and very strong compared to the others. I wonder why some hairs are just like that... :confused:

Jessleigh
March 1st, 2014, 01:01 AM
Yes! I've found several. Mine have somewhat of a kinky texture. They aren't coiled, but they aren't smooth like the rest of my hair. Very strange. I wonder what causes them.

This exactly. I plucked it. :undecided:

0xalis
March 1st, 2014, 01:43 AM
Yep. In fact a few months ago I posted a different thread on the same thing! I haven't found one in a long time, but those things are quite strange O_o

tigereye
March 1st, 2014, 01:59 AM
I found a hair once which was dark and thick, then changed to white half-way along the strand for the last 8 or so inches. It was really weird, not least because the white seemed barely stained by my henna, and in some places not at all. It came from the flat "dent"-like area at my crown.
Otherwise, I get thick hairs all the time - my hair is a real mix of lots of strand thicknesses. It's the reason I'm a 1c/2a. My fine strands are almost 1a/b most of the time, but my thicker ones are rather wavy. The thickest anomalies seem to curl like ringlets, but I only get a couple of them at a time.

minxe
March 1st, 2014, 02:17 AM
All the time! They're so wiry that I feel like I have to pull them out :uhh:

tlover
March 1st, 2014, 02:20 AM
From time to time, they are normally more fragile than my normal hairs.

And I once found a "afro hair" too

T-Red
March 1st, 2014, 03:34 AM
Yep, I struggle with trichtomania (sp?), compulsive hair plucking, a little bit, and once in a while I get one. Noticeably darker red than my other hair, about twice as thick as the rest of my strands, and kinda rough along the shaft. Hair follicle gone wild??

Sarahlabyrinth
March 1st, 2014, 03:56 AM
I found one once, it was thick and really tightly spiralled like a spring, really strange..... haven't seen another one before or since.

jacqueline101
March 1st, 2014, 08:33 AM
I've found a few course thicker hairs. When I s&d they're like trimming wire.

Madora
March 1st, 2014, 08:49 AM
Years ago I found one strand that was much thicker than the other strands..and it felt bumpy as well. There was nothing wrong with it so I let it be. About a month ago I found a strand that was white at the tip while the rest of the hair was brown. Most peculiar.

spidermom
March 1st, 2014, 08:51 AM
I've got crazy mixed up hair - all the colors, all the types. It's been a long time since I've found any of the fine, kinky dark ones, though.

TrapperCreekD
March 1st, 2014, 01:06 PM
I have one really light, slightly coppery blonde strand on the left side of my head. :laugh:

alexis917
March 1st, 2014, 04:14 PM
Every once in a while I find a red or blonde hair!

Weewah
March 1st, 2014, 05:07 PM
I found one the other day, and I have a birthmark on my scalp that I think it sprouted from.

Ambystoma
March 1st, 2014, 05:22 PM
I occasionally find the odd one like that too - very dark brown almost black, coarse and kind of bumpy/ uneven thickness along the length. I only see them when I S&D, so I'm assuming everyone has them and it's only if you're paying very close attention to the ends of your hair that you'll ever notice them.

AmberlynAsh
March 1st, 2014, 07:12 PM
I've noticed lately now that I can kinda see my natural color that the wiry & strange ones are really goldish color but its weird because there is only a couple, I'm not sure what to do with them or what to think of them. I too wonder why some hairs are like that!

woodswanderer
March 1st, 2014, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I call them mutant hairs. They are much thicker, darker, and bumpy.

ReneeG
March 1st, 2014, 11:20 PM
Yes!! I did this yesterday and was so surprised! I have fine-ish dark ash blonde hair with some highlights... and this hair was DARK brown, kinky/wavy, and really thick and coarse. So strange! I'd never fund one before. I wonder if I'll get more and thicken my braid lol. Or just make my already multi texture hair worse

queenovnight
March 2nd, 2014, 06:21 AM
My boyfriend has light blonde hair, and I've found solid black hairs in his head. I've always thought it was so strange! Lol

XcaliburGirl
March 2nd, 2014, 06:35 AM
No, though, I have a lot of dark, fairly coarse hairs throughout my normal color/texture. I do have a thick hair that grows out of my chin. :rolleyes:

DancingQueen
March 2nd, 2014, 06:48 AM
I found a few over time, mostly around 15-17 years old. They were more than twice as thick as the other hairs, extra coarse, and jet-black (I am a blondette, and it was even lighter back then, I think). It was almost like someone had put mascara on it. :)

lapushka
March 2nd, 2014, 06:53 AM
Seems like a thread like this pops up every few months. It's perfectly normal to have hairs in different textures, even kinky hairs in between regular F/M/C strands.

veryhairyfairy
March 2nd, 2014, 08:16 AM
Yeah, I call them mutant hairs. They are much thicker, darker, and bumpy.

Hah, me too! :lol:

I actually have (and always have had) a lot of these, but I think it has to do with my heritage (mostly Swedish, hence the natural blonde, but a good percentage Native American, too). For the most part my dark brown/black hairs are pretty much normal coarse hair, but every once in awhile I find one that is incredibly flat and rough feeling. I do pluck those ones, because they are fragile and break (causing splits). And then there are the 'travelers' as I like to call them; short, kinky (not tightly curly, but zigzagged), very coarse, and they tend to look like they should be elsewhere on my body. ;) :p

ositarosita
March 2nd, 2014, 09:42 AM
I find mine are brittle (no elasticity, break easily, black -I'm a blonette, kinky and the strand itself goes from thick to thin) all along the length then once I start getting to the scalp (new growth) they become healthy again .. I have a little bundle of about 5-7 that I find every 9 months -1year as soon as they get long enough.. but noticing how the new growth on those strands was healthy, shiny, etc. makes me think they have something to do with health or stress. As my new growth was healthy again --- about the time I started to take fish oil

PrincessBob
March 2nd, 2014, 09:13 PM
As I get older I find more and more of these coarse, darker hairs that look kinky, but if you look down the shaft you realize it makes squared off spirals all the way down. These hairs resemble all of my mom's hair, so I figure I got it from her, most of my hair is medium coarseness and medium brown in color. I also have some very fine hairs that tend to shed long before the majority of my hair. My grey hairs (of which there are fairly few) can be any of these three textures and no rhyme or reason to how they "decide".

Larki
March 2nd, 2014, 09:18 PM
I find kinky, zigzag-y hairs occasionally - they are always short, I don't think I've ever found one that was longer than four or five inches. They're so kinky that I can really feel it clearly when I run my fingers along the length of the strand, and they'll have that weird texture all the way down to the root. I always pull them, they bother me. I wonder what causes them?

FairHairedDane
March 2nd, 2014, 10:59 PM
Yes i do. But they are more dark red than black. But very thick, almost three times thicker tham the rest of the strands :confused:

Taenarian
March 3rd, 2014, 04:32 AM
And I call them goblin hairs, just as soon not look for them, but yes they are known 'round these parts.

Ruzovy
March 3rd, 2014, 05:14 AM
Haha yeah not too long ago I found one that was dark, coarse and coiled, I'd never seen anything like it (coming from my head that is)

Achlys
March 3rd, 2014, 07:31 AM
I have found differently coloured hairs, too, but they are straight like the rest of my hair and not very coarse. Black and dark reds or ones that fade from black to red among my dark blonde hair. Now that I henna, they're just less noticeable, I believe. I know I have one short black hair at my front hairline at the moment. I have coarse, bumpy hairs around my centre part, but they are the same colour as the rest of my hair. I have thought that maybe I should change my parting because of them, but I don't really want to. And yes, I feel very compelled to pull them out when I find them.

I'm a blonette, kinky

:lol: Sorry, I read it like that.

LongHairLesbian
March 3rd, 2014, 03:24 PM
Yep! I didn't know that it was a thing other people experienced besides me! When I'm in the shower, I like to try and catch as much hair as possible and stick it to the shower wall, so it doesn't clog the drain. It's usually a bunch of white-yellow strands mixed with some dark blonde ones. But every now and then, I pick one out that is dark and coarse! Hair is really funny sometimes.

NoRush
March 3rd, 2014, 03:38 PM
I have a "black herd" on my head, most of my hair strands are medium thickness but I also have a fair amount of coarse wiry hairs scattered about... sigh, they make for a not-so-hot texture sometimes :P

MinderMutsig
March 3rd, 2014, 05:43 PM
Head pubes! Yes we all get them.

T-Red
March 3rd, 2014, 05:47 PM
I started June 2013 from a buzz cut with a #1 blade. I plucked a wild, extra thick, dark hair, and here is what got me. I am a machinist, and usually have a 6" rule in my pocket, and I've got a habit of measuring strand length. All of my hair is between 4.2 and 4.8". This wild one was a solid 5.25" Then on another day I found one that was 5.2". They apparently not only grow thicker and darker, but faster...

PamelaViktoria
March 5th, 2014, 06:47 PM
When I was a teenager, I had a grey hair. Never had one since. But I have a wiry hair that's reddish haha