PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose an updo pretty please?

RapunzelKat
February 28th, 2014, 09:03 PM
A very dear friend of mine is getting married next month! :cheer: I'm doing my own hair and I need some help deciding on a good updo for my hair type (thin, fine, straight, upper thigh length). I have a couple ideas, but I'm hoping the lovely ladies and gents of the LHC can help me decide or give me some better suggestions. I have a couple weeks to practice, so I can pick something pretty fancy, but I do need to decide so I can work on getting it right. :rolling:

Styles I'm considering:

Rag curls done up in a big messy bun

French fishtail braid (seashell braid, like Lilith Moon's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOFgV2K2Q3c) but with a bun.)
(I actually took a shot at this one tonight, and it kind of turned out looking like a regular French braid, but I'm sure it would get better with practice. Well, I hope so, anyway! :lol:

Spiral braid or lace crown braid into a bun

What do you guys think? I'd appreciate any input as I don't do a lot of fancy 'dos and I want to pick something that will look really nice in my hair. Please feel free to suggest something not on my list, I'm open to other ideas. Thank you in advance! :flowers:

Madora
March 1st, 2014, 09:19 AM
RapunzelKat, perhaps an Asymetrical lace crown braid that melts into a horizontal bun? There is a picture of it in my album - 2 nd row, 4th from left. (I would have put a pic here but Photobucket isn't working at the moment).

The idea came from Lilith Moon's accent crown braid tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ:

I began braiding in front of my right ear, then across my head to the top of my left ear, changed hands, then continued braiding until I reached the beginning. Then I divided my hair in two and began to rope it loosely to the ends. Then I took the roped braid and arranged it horizontally in a bun (with about 12 3 inch hairpins). I WAS able to put a picture of it in the TEST Section forum..entitled "A Testing We Will Go", if that's any help for you.

RapunzelKat
March 1st, 2014, 11:07 AM
Thank you Madora! :flower: I was able to see it in your album and the test board, that's beautiful! I love asymmetrical styles, and I have some fancy decorative bobby pins that would look really nice in that one. :) I will definitely try it and see how it comes out in my hair!

Madora
March 1st, 2014, 11:21 AM
Glad I could help, RapunzelKat. To make it look fuller, you could experiment when you twist the strands..i.e. do it loosely for more "pouf".

ps. You might be able to improvise the accent crown braiding by only doing it 3/4ths of the way around your head, THEN dividing the hair in two sections, roping them down to the ends, then forming a coil and bunning (instead of doing the horizontal method, which is a lot harder to secure with hairpins).

You could also just loosely braid the remaining hair and form it into a bun.

RapunzelKat
March 1st, 2014, 02:40 PM
Glad I could help, RapunzelKat. To make it look fuller, you could experiment when you twist the strands..i.e. do it loosely for more "pouf".

ps. You might be able to improvise the accent crown braiding by only doing it 3/4ths of the way around your head, THEN dividing the hair in two sections, roping them down to the ends, then forming a coil and bunning (instead of doing the horizontal method, which is a lot harder to secure with hairpins).

You could also just loosely braid the remaining hair and form it into a bun.

I think this is going to be perfect! I tried it a couple of times and even just starting out it looks nice :) I ended up starting just behind my left ear and going around the back of my head first, which gave me a nice full twist across the top. The bun works nicely too because it gives me a place to hide my long skinny braid tail. :D Just need to practice to keep it neat all the way around.

Thank you again Madora!

Madora
March 1st, 2014, 02:44 PM
Good for you, RapunzelKat! Keep practicing and you'll have it down pat for your special event!