PDA

View Full Version : Braids starting too far back

Snidget
February 28th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new, so hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong with this thread, but if I am, sorry!

My issue is with my braids, namely dutch, french, lace, etc, any type of braid where I braid at the scalp (usually the sort where you add hair). When I braid, I pick up my hair from where ever they pick it up in the tutorial I'm watching, and braid it the same way, but my first visible braid section is always really far off where I actually picked the hair from. It's particularly noticeable on dutch braids. For example if I was doing a dutch headband braid and picked the hair up for the beginning from just behind my ear, the actual first visible section of the braid starts by my eyebrow. The braiders I watch never seem to have this happen, so I think I'm doing something basic wrong. It's hard to explain, but hopefully someone understands?

I'd really appreciate some help! Thanks :)

Madora
February 28th, 2014, 07:07 PM
It might be the angle of your hands when braiding. Also, are you holding your hands close to your scalp and not further away? Braiding does take a bit of experimenting with until you learn what hand positions/angles to use..not to mention the proper tension. You might also try braiding with your head looking downward instead of straight ahead.